Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Oh, apparently 13 Sentinels has a demo in Japan.

Give it to me

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Would you believe, someone told me that, upon seeing that trailer, he thought it was clearly inspired by Chrono Trigger?

Funnier considering when each came out that LiveALive was first.

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

the gifs of combat have pretty much deconfirmed half of them.

I'm curious about if we'll get some menu showing turn order.

And I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

an Aura that I named-- Wait, AURA?!

Stop! No! My entire team is paralyzed and two of them are dead! Get away from me--!

Welp. Back to the pokemon center. I'm gonna kill her...

Ah man, that fight.

That fight is a real kick in the face if you aren't prepared.

• Replies 177.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Well, as it turns out, Aura is a far greater pokemon trainer than I am.

Marcial to my back. Aura to my front. Is grinding truly inevitable?

No, I say. I will take her as I am.

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

Funnier considering when each came out that LiveALive was first.

Yeah, that's the correction I very quickly made.

I'm curious about if we'll get some menu showing turn order.

And I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Turn order woudl be difficult because, well... there was no turn order, per se, in Live a Live. The game wasn't turn based, it was time based, with time passing for each move you made. So unless they show that, as well... Which could happen. If I recall, this lack of information was one of the complaints about Live a Live, back then.

Ah man, that fight.

That fight is a real kick in the face if you aren't prepared.

Yeah, that's what it's being.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Turn order woudl be difficult because, well... there was no turn order, per se, in Live a Live. The game wasn't turn based, it was time based, with time passing for each move you made. So unless they show that, as well... Which could happen. If I recall, this lack of information was one of the complaints about Live a Live, back then.

I do think there are methods of doing that, especially if the order in which units is handled similarly to, say FFT, where every unit has a speed stat counting up which increases over actions taken until it hits the max and they should be next turn.

LiveALive isn't 1:1 for this comparison, but the timer moving alongside steps characters take or actions taken could make it possible to display in a UI element and it'll be interesting if that occurs.

And there we go. That was easier than I expected.

Aura's seagull was handled very easy by Antasma. Just spam night shade. Sometimes he died due to confusion, sometimes he won. Since the seagull was always the first pokemon, I could just reset and try again. The big chicken was the most difficult one. My strat was to send Sierra first and have her spam flash to lower the chicken's hitrate as much as possible, until she ate a hit and was left almost dead. Then I swapped her out for Menelik II so he could fire his water pistol. He... promptly got one-shot. So I had to use Derrick instead. Luckily, he dodged enough and the chicken was no more. The leaf monkey murdered Derrick, and then Antasma just before dying, but Poundmaker was able to jump in and finish it off.

And that's the riveting story of how I beat this boss while severely underlevelled. Awesome.

6 minutes ago, Dayni said:

LiveALive isn't 1:1 for this comparison, but the timer moving alongside steps characters take or actions taken could make it possible to display in a UI element and it'll be interesting if that occurs.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. It'd be a fine addition, I would say. Strategizing around the display was one of Octopath's strengths, in my humble opinion.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

...And why are you leaving Torna's 3

I mean technically Torna has 9.

The oldest I see is 357 (Ruthan), whose little Affinity Chart icon is an old man's. Melia as you know is 88. Don Argentis, the old Colony 6-recruitable mixed-blood High Entia with two daughters, is 258.

I'll guess 400 is the High Entia maximum lifespan? 450?

Yeah, it's not that long in the grand scheme of things, especially when you consider Machina ages.

We'll see.

Playable character. The Nopon Sage is a hale and hearty 9999 with no signs of stopping.

Oh yeah, i was only talking about the playables. NPCs would be different maybe.

And while not playable, Alvis might return because....well you know.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Do not defy me, Armagon. I won't recommend Live a Live to you because I like this, therefore it means you won't, but rest assured, it is an excellent JRPG, and it will be even more so with this fresh new coat of paint.

Honestly,  Live a Live does look like one of the more interesting Squeenix RPGs. I do like how it seems fo cover a variety of gameplay genres.

40 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Oh, apparently 13 Sentinels has a demo in Japan.

Give it to me

Yes they should bring that over.

I found a place where I can leave my pokes. Currently I've little use for their services, but perhaps I'll leave a magikarp here later down the line. When do I get a fishing rod, anyway...

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Honestly,  Live a Live does look like one of the more interesting Squeenix RPGs. I do like how it seems fo cover a variety of gameplay genres.

It's a highly experimental game, a far cry for the rest of their more renowned, "safe" JRPGs. Not just the combat system, but just the way each era plays is so different. Jokes aside, I already recommended it to Shrimpy ages ago, and now I would recommend the remake to everyone.

Man, Antasma's become so powerful, though. Sierra too, since she evolved to gain a spoon and whiskers. Surprising, the both of them. Ralts is the one that's kinda falling behind now. As it stands, ol' Leteena is just a worse Sierra. Menelik II is also falling behind a bit. I don't want to replace them just yet, though. Poundmaker is also rather underwhelming, but due to a lack of good moves more than anything else.

16 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I found a place where I can leave my pokes. Currently I've little use for their services, but perhaps I'll leave a magikarp here later down the line. When do I get a fishing rod, anyway...

There was a rod in Dewford, but that's the old one.

Next isn't until after you get surf.

Edit: the daycare can also get you eggs. Just, keep that in mind.

Edited by Dayni

I have reached Verdegal village. Blasco lives here, apparently. I see a cave, too.

The game has yet to stop me from ignoring every gym. At this point I'm just curious to see how long I can keep this up.

I have reached Verdegal village. Blasco lives here, apparently. I see a cave, too.

The game has yet to stop me from ignoring every gym. At this point I'm just curious to see how long I can keep this up.

Well, with this one you're out of luck. Trust me, you'll know it when you see it.

41 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's a highly experimental game, a far cry for the rest of their more renowned, "safe" JRPGs. Not just the combat system, but just the way each era plays is so different.

And yet that still intrigues me more than Squeenix's entire library other than the Xenogears remake that will never happen.

Won't be a day 1 purchase but i'll check it out.

The different genres remind me of how many genres were in It Takes Two.....i need to finish that game but me and my friend haven't been able to line up our schedules since December. 

I have decided to leave Leteena and Menelik II in the whatever it is called in English place, and see what happens. In the meantime, armed with Dayni's tip that there is a fishing rod in Azuliza, I shall return and obtain it. And maybe beat up Marcial while I'm here. We'll see.

5 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Well, with this one you're out of luck. Trust me, you'll know it when you see it.

Yeah... There are stones in the way. I'll have to wage war against Erico to be able to get through.

And yet that still intrigues me more than Squeenix's entire library other than the Xenogears remake that will never happen.

Won't be a day 1 purchase but i'll check it out.

Good to know the game's caught people's attention, and it's not just us old guard interested in it!

The different genres remind me of how many genres were in It Takes Two.....i need to finish that game but me and my friend haven't been able to line up our schedules since December. 

Oof... Hopefully you'll be able to do it soon.

I just had a slip in the driveway.

And all because I decide to turn right for once and then put my foot in a mud buildup that's gotten kind of sizable down there. Caused a minor panic with the absolute mess I'd made of myself, but hopefully no harm done.

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

https://images2.imgbox.com/00/89/LRDEgzyA_o.png

I mean, it may be a cliche, but obviously I have to use Magikarp. A gulpin named Daru subs in for the sixth pokemon until I replace it. Very soon. I don't want Daru in my team.

You plan on not evolving it?

13 minutes ago, Dayni said:

And all because I decide to turn right for once and then put my foot in a mud buildup that's gotten kind of sizable down there. Caused a minor panic with the absolute mess I'd made of myself, but hopefully no harm done.

I hope there was no harm done too!

My first rival battle against HughDI- begins with him getting a crit against Slithery, which is almost enough to do over half his health. Luckily, Slithery outspeeds him and he inexplicably decides to go for tail whip the next turn, which means that, after a leer, I am able to scrape by with a victory.

Bianca teaches me how to catch Pokémon because I definitely don’t know how to do that and my first encounter is early game normal type, tk the surprise of absolutely no one.

v72xb1O.png
I name it Patrash because he probably won’t stick around for very long.

The former champion of the entire region is hanging around the next town and decides to jump off a cliff in order to talk to this random 10 year old for literally no reason. Luckily, he’s actually very understanding and lets us continue our mission to give HughDI- a map before swamping us with tutorials. Which means I can go to the next route and beat up the next two trainers with Slithery and then get my encounter. It was a Pidove, which is interesting, and I might use it. I know their two designs are different between male and female, and I don’t know if the stats are different, but this one is female, which I hope is better. Now… what to name a bird…

oIYoFWR.png
As you can tell, I am very good at Pokémon names.

The next area is Floccesy ranch, which is special because it begins with a rival battle, and his starter should actually have a super effective move against mine by now. I hope BirdeezNu- can handle it in Slitherhy’s stead. The main thing about the ranch is it’s the only place in the entire game where you can catch Mareep, who evolves into my favorite Pokémon. I really want Mareep, but it only has a 10% encounter rate, so wish me luck.

I think I may have to grind now. Erico's Magneton is completely impossible. It one-shots half my team, Poundmaker is useless and it resists Antasma and Sierra. So... Yeah, grinding time.

Hurray. RPGs are fun.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Yikes. Good thing you didn't get hurt too much.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

You plan on not evolving it?

The dragon is too cool not to.

Well, I just grinded for roughly one minute.

Given the speed at which my pokes gain experience from wild foes, this is the conclusion I've drawn: The moment I have to grind is the moment I stop playing this game.

So uh. Yeah. Better be a way for me to brute force Erico's Magneton.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, I just grinded for roughly one minute.

Given the speed at which my pokes gain experience from wild foes, this is the conclusion I've drawn: The moment I have to grind is the moment I stop playing this game.

Fighting, Ground and Fire types are supereffective.

So those moves on any of your trained up team? Who can take a hit or two?

(Honestly, the thing I like about the Exp share from Gen 6 onwards is that it's easier to keep pokemon to the level of everything around and try things out. Having a way to access the box and do that on the fly would have been nice and they did it in the game which I couldn't convince myself to purchase.)

Using obviously powerful mons, and an Est-like at that. How unorthodox of you.