• Replies 177.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

I found Captain Babor and handed over the Devon pieces. Or so I tried to do, but pirates arrived and tried to plunder me booty. I lost a few pokes along the way, but Derrick stood tall and defeated the foolish dogs of the sea.

Then a bearded man arrived, introduced himself as Aquiles and for a moment I was scared. Thankfully, he didn't pick a fight with me. Probably was afraid of Derrick.

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

If you want another good one, play Black or White 2. Ideally with hard mode enabled.

I will consider it, perhaps.

Never heard of it. Am I lucky for that…?

Yes.

This reads very funny to someone with only the Spanish knowledge of two high school classes of it. I know I’m missing like all of it, and this amuses me as a result.

It's a very jargon-heavy sentence. I'd expect it to be tough to folks who aren't fluent in the language.

4 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I wouldn't be surprised that Kanto's become a region people feel mixed about if they don't dislike it. The game came out in 96 as a bug-filled duo that managed to be a hit despite it, but the layout of the region can still feel basic at times. And that's ignoring how Gen 3 movepools are limiting too.

I wouldn't rank it that highly as an old player honestly, but I do like that it doesn't limit movement much with HMs and thus it really opens up in waves as you get certain barriers removed, though I could stand to face gyms in different orders in it.

The other remakes do give better feel imo, but I can see something like, say, Jhoto's opening bit also be slow.

Duly noted.

4 minutes ago, Dayni said:

That's a great moment.

Eltoshan Kadath's been showing how useful it is too.

I'll be sure to give it to someone. Darn it, maybe I should've named Sableye Maerchen...

8 minutes ago, Dayni said:

That's a bit strange for sure. It learned TMs even in Gen 1, I wonder what reason the devs had.

Maybe it was to make sure that as a wild Pokemon it would always use Teleport. If it knew other moves, it might potentially use those and the player wouldn't have to come up with a strategy to prevent it from taking it's turn.

Edited by BrightBow

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Then a bearded man arrived, introduced himself as Aquiles and for a moment I was scared. Thankfully, he didn't pick a fight with me. Probably was afraid of Derrick.

I mean, he's Aquiles. Derrick would likely head straight to the talón.

Oh, and the row of pirates to the north has disappeared! I get to put off Marcial for even longer! Awesome!

Tomorrow, though. I've played enough for a night. I probably should start considering team mainstays, too... Leteena, Sierra, Menelik II and Derrick are staying. That leaves two. Sableye looks pretty awesome, but... Hmmmm. I don't quite get the feeling, you know. The feeling that this is the one fated to defeat Plubio.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

I mean, he's Aquiles. Derrick would likely head straight to the talón.

The fact that this name is named friggin' Archie in English is just more evidence that I made the right choice in finding a Spanish copy of this game for my Nintendo PC.

Now I wonder what Team Magma's leader is called. I must say, I completely forgot about these two teams. No childhood memories of either. There's just... one part of the game where I think both teams started to wage an all-out war and you could see them fighting in the overworld? But they didn't make much of an impact.

Eh, don't tell me. We'll find out.

5 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

It's kinda strange that it has this quirk.

I mean, it's no Magikarp or Weedle and therelike. It has good stats and it can learn moves from tutors and TMs.

3 minutes ago, Dayni said:

It learned TMs even in Gen 1, I wonder what reason the devs had

Odd as this sounds, Seismic Toss was a classic Abra TM move in gen 1. In gen 1 the only Special Move it could learn from TMs was Phychic, which was far enough into the game that you probably evolved it, so any other move would have to use its embarrassing attack stat, and you can get the TM early battling one optional trainer on one of the routes right next to it.

7 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I wouldn't be surprised that Kanto's become a region people feel mixed about if they don't dislike it. The game came out in 96 as a bug-filled duo that managed to be a hit despite it, but the layout of the region can still feel basic at times. And that's ignoring how Gen 3 movepools are limiting too.

I still love Generation 1, it hit that perfect point where the bugs were kinda fun, and didn't really breakup the gameplay; they either became mechanics of the game (like the Gen 1 miss (fun fact Swift still avoided that), the badge boost glitch, or Gen 1's "GOOD" AI), or added some goofy fun to it, like the Missingno glitch, glitch city and the mew glitch. Sure movepools are hilariously bad, but those limits made pokemon more distinct, whereas more balanced movesets made pokemon more similar. Odd as this sounds I kinda like Gen 1 more than the remakes.

Choose your fate

38 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

AM-JKLVNew3z0ZKAMxFapQ2G5NP4NeKJzQqPvGmfAM-JKLVfdVpAmvdzOAdm2-Izx_MQO3gD6GCDc9cc

Its unfortunate that the last couple of battles haven't been good for bug types, as @Lightchao42 has grown into an interesting pokemon with its moveset. This gym isn't great for him either, but I considered him for my last slot in the Norman battle, but I opted for better utility moves.

I never thought I'd see the day when Volbeat was a formidable team member, but here we are. I was confused by Signal Beam because Sp. Attack is Volbeat's lowest stat, but I remembered that all Bug moves were physical in Gen III. The physical/special split already happened by the time I started playing.

It's a good thing you aren't playing a nuzlocke of Legends. It's all fun and games until you reach the postgame final boss, hahaha... At least you could plan for Ultra Necrozma.

1 minute ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I still love Generation 1, it hit that perfect point where the bugs were kinda fun, and didn't really breakup the gameplay; they either became mechanics of the game (like the Gen 1 miss (fun fact Swift still avoided that), the badge boost glitch, or Gen 1's "GOOD" AI), or added some goofy fun to it, like the Missingno glitch, glitch city and the mew glitch. Sure movepools are hilariously bad, but those limits made pokemon more distinct, whereas more balanced movesets made pokemon more similar. Odd as this sounds I kinda like Gen 1 more than the remakes.

It's amazing how despite the number of glitches gamebreaking stuff (as in actively harmful to the file) still requires really going for it and knowing how to break it, while those glitches that mess with the game end up having such a broad impact. That can absolutely be part of the appeal, but for me I just don't have an interest in playing the first two gens again.

20220211_190550.jpg?width=324&height=432

TRUE!

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

This would be a dream. Not as big a dream as a Xenosaga HD remaster where the duo say "Hi!" 3/4ths of the way into Episode 3 and return the favor after all the favors KOS-MOS has done them (co-piloting some giant robot they confiscated from Saya's next scheme when necessary). But still, a dream.

I want it.

I'm sorry for the inevitable disappointment when they don't put this in.

Honestly tho, Namco is pretty lenient so i wouldn't rule them out 100%. It's just that, if they do put in non-Xeno guests, the BK crew has a higher chance....which i mean, hey, that would be pretty cool.

I should stop now, before we start dreaming of things that won't happen.

9 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Here we go again. Why can't you guys ever respect my wish to separate the things I like from anime? I don't ask for that much, do I?

Everything the sun touches is anime Ruben. You cannot escape.

8 hours ago, Dayni said:

You thought I aimed for the head?

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47hzs8f1sxpompe5ztqt

star-wars-visions-ronin-1014x570.jpg?wid

8 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Also JRPG is usually a certain style and not ''made in japan''. And Omori definetly falls into that style

Ok.....what does the J stand for?

8 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Well, if it's written well i wouldn't mind much...probably, but having the demo be that text heavy is a very...strange marketing decision.

It's Square Enix, same people who put out timed KH demos that end before you can even start playing.

7 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Lack of info is something sadly 90% of rpgs struggle with.

Shoutouts to Xenoblade X for telling you nothing.

Shoutouts to Xenoblade 2 for having bad advice in the tutorials.

Man i really hope Xenoblade 3 finally, finally fixes their tutorial issue. Xenoblade 1 had good tutorials because combat's basic as fuck.

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

..I give up on NxC after the very first battle. Even understanding the combat isn't easy with the... I won't call it a translation. Font aside, the dialogue seems alright, but the gameplay info is too much too botched for my senses.

Yeah i figured.

Oh well. Enjoy Xenosaga.

3 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

The only game i ever preordered was Valkyria Chronicles 4, and boy was it worth.

Otherwise, there're certain series i buy Day 1, other than that, wait for reviews, sales & patches

I pre-order games that i know i will enjoy. And even then, that's mainly on Switch, my primary gaming platform.

I think the only time i ever got burned by a pre-order was Splatoon 2. Not a bad game by any means it's just.....not my thing really.

56 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

you like her, right?

Yes. More Eunie fanart is always good.

26 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Choose your fate

See this one's actually really hard lmao.

I really hope they don't actually make us choose lmao. I mean, i doubt it, Takahashi doesn't like doing route splits, at least as far as the story is concerned. Sidequests, whatever, have all the route splits you want, just look at Xenoblade X. But i don't think he'll do it for the main story, especially if the game is probably gonna have one save file like Switch games like to have.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Continuing with another special attacker (well more of a mixed attacker I guess) in need of an evolution. In a lot of cases @GuardianSing's typing have let it see some use for a while, but as I discovered against Maxie, it really isn't enough to let it deal with evolved pokemon. Once it does evolve it can become a potent boosting defensive pokemon, but I have to get through two Gyms before that...

Heads up if they end up dying. Quetzal would be a fine successor.

5 minutes ago, Dayni said:

The Experiment boss.

I have not played in a bit.

Oh that's the one with the funny instakill you can do.

...oh God, i am not looking forward to that in Dread Mode lmao.

4 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

biggest warning sign tbh

Speaking of Square Enix,  it is so funny that they're releasing Star Ocean 6, which looks like a knockoff Xenoblade this year. And then Monolith Soft said "aight bet" and announced Xenoblade 3.

Star Ocean 6 is just getting sent out to die, poor bastard.

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:
-Twitter Post-

I can almost see the JoJo arrow and Roundabout playing to that... lol

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:
Speaking of Square Enix,  it is so funny that they're releasing Star Ocean 6, which looks like a knockoff Xenoblade this year. And then Monolith Soft said "aight bet" and announced Xenoblade 3.

Ah, Star Ocean...

Wish they could port them to PC already. Only the fourth game being in there is so lonely...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I'm sorry for the inevitable disappointment when they don't put this in.

Honestly tho, Namco is pretty lenient so i wouldn't rule them out 100%. It's just that, if they do put in non-Xeno guests, the BK crew has a higher chance....which i mean, hey, that would be pretty cool.

I should stop now, before we start dreaming of things that won't happen.

BK in XS? You might as well be speaking in tongues with how incomprehensibly unrealistic you're sounding. I laugh at how dead-on-dead this is.🤣

Actually Namco, why aren't you doing what Square has been? If they've been digging the iffy Chrono Cross, SaGa, and Mana games out of their graves, you can HD port XS and BK.

Dreaming of impossibilities is sometimes more fun than the realities themselves which is why I don't actually play enough video games.

Yeah i figured.

I also felt the defending was the primary gameplay issue of NxC right off the bat.

I liked having options about what I could do when attacked, that's taken straight out of mainline SRW (Counterattack, Defend, Evade). Sure it inflicts some enemy phase slowdown compared to FE, but it's bearable.

But, having to do the timing thing to reduce damage taken when defending slowed things down too much for my tastes. It works with JRPGs, but not with SRPGs, too many more units per battle. If the game didn't have that, and the gibberish was fixed (LA3 had a machine translation with far fewer errors) then I could've stuck with it. But I simply couldn't, so be it.

Oh well. Enjoy Xenosaga.

I will, once I figure out how to get the ROM. Initial results... at receiving it from my parallel universe self who played it as a child and has physical CDs of the games intact along with the PS2 on which it was played, met with failure. All I got was a few Gnosis through the wormhole, which I had to dump baking soda on and then proceeded to hit over the head with a snow shovel.

Although again, I'm going to be stylish about it and not start until February 28th. That, and I've fallen way behind on SMTV. I loathe my sluggishness.

BTW, I saw an lolmenu translation of XS I&II exists, and that a full-fledged translation was attempted but died back in 2018.

Ok.....what does the J stand for?

Japanese-styled RPG. I think that phrase works for marketing in the food industry.

22 minutes ago, Armagon said:

But it'll have exclusive access to all those Japanese gamers on the hot & happening Playstation!

That Square is keeping SO alive isn't bad, but it seems to be solidly b-tier, with the company not investing the assets to make it rise above that. It's pitiful.

16 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Wish they could port them to PC already. Only the fourth game being in there is so lonely...

Maybe, maybe, maybe. If they keep up with bringing games out of their museum storeroom, it'll happen sooner or later.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Actually Namco, why aren't you doing what Square has been? If they've been digging the iffy Chrono Cross, SaGa, and Mana games out of their graves, you can HD port XS and BK.

Dreaming of impossibilities is sometimes more fun than the realities themselves which is why I don't actually play enough video games.

They should totally port the older Tales games too while we're at it.

Edited by Acacia Sgt