• Replies 177.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

I ran into the Virbank complex to get the only encounter I could before the second gym, which is poison type. There are a few interesting encounters here, but the best for the next gym would be Magnemite—

okVfCJ4.png
Well, that’s cool. Some miner guy or whatever asked me to go around and beat up the miners for some random reason, which I used to train up Maggie and essentially trivialize the gym. One of the trainers randomly got a crit and killed… someone, I don’t remember who, and I’m still spiting the rng, so that didn’t last. Maybe when I get more Pokémon, I‘ll stop doing that.

I was roped into making my film debut at age 10 by a bunch of adults who pressured me into it, but the max text speed mod I have horribly messed with the text during the movies so I had no idea what was going on during it. I immediately left the studio and hopped on this random guys boat to the massive city filled with people and skyscrapers, where he let me and my fellow 10 year old wander around unsupervised. I immediately wandered over to this clown, who told me to go to these other clowns and handed me a bike. Three clowns later I now had an exp share and a rare candy. Then I decided to progress the plot which took me to the sewers. You automatically start paired up with your rival for double battles for every encounter, which makes it virtually impossible to catch any Pokémon, so I count my first encounter as the first one where I’m on my own. After one battle, this happens.

Mye7en1.png
He’s just lucky he lived long enough to hit puberty. Imagine if he actually gets to fully evolve.

After beating a whole two evil team grunts, the gym leader shows up and tell us he got rid of the rest of the organized crime down here and makes it sound like training in the rest of the sewers is optional. Sure buddy, if I want to lose the run it is, his team has levels. After that, an unnamed and mysterious looking scientist who will be important later shows up for literally zero reason and spouts two vague lines that add literally nothing to the story and immediately leaves, an rpg trope that is scientifically proven to have literally never one been done well and sucked every time.

Anyway, time to get my encounter for the sewers. My options are Ratata, Grimer, and Zubat. Zubat would be preferred because it would be my only way to get a super effective move against bug for the next gym. Otherwise the main strategy would just be to bank on Maggie’s resistance to bug. Grimer is workable though, so all I’m really hoping for is it to not be a Ratata—

Ov31g8o.png
Nice! And only one level away from learning wing attack. As you can see, me being absolutely fantastic at naming Pokémon continues.

Edit: Oh wait never mind, my memories of this part of the game were way off, I was thinking that the sewers fully opened up now and that’s what Burgh was talking about, but apparently there’s this whole cave I’d completely forgotten about. Let’s see what happens there.

Edited by Sooks

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

>Sees 10+ pages since my last visit

Nah, i ain't responding to all that. If i missed something, lmk.

Shrimpy found this:

32nqhwmmteh81.jpg

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Anyways

So there is still a purpose -however marginal- for Energy Tanks on Dread Mode. And here I was wishing for Samus to stumble on one last droplet of Phazon to corrupt herself with.

My encounter for this cave was a Roggenrola, which is interesting because it’s ordinarily a Pokémon I’d never touch due to trade evolution, but here I can fully utilize it assuming it survives. Which is nice because Gigalith is pretty cool.

VqzuOj5.png
I naturally went for a pretty obscure Omori reference for the name. I could have done the obvious one if she were a he, but alas.

The Twin Robot fight in Dread Mode is actual hell.

And there's another one of these fights in Ferenia 🤢

39 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Shrimpy found this:

32nqhwmmteh81.jpg

The Kirbonis.

39 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So there is still a purpose -however marginal- for Energy Tanks on Dread Mode

Yeah, you can use it to cheese certain rooms. That right there was me on a return trip from early Super Missiles.

I'm so pissed. I've been playing Dread every month since it came out. The final boss has a QTE at the end that you have to do to beat him. I've never failed it in any of my prior runs.

SO OF COURSE I FAIL IT FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER IN THE MODE WHERE I CAN'T AFFORD TO FAIL IT!

It has been like 12 attempts since then.

55 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

.They didn't playtest Dread Mode, did they? Is there some small, slow, ground/wall/ceiling-crawling enemy spawned right there on the other side? 

Nah turns out i got hit by the Purple EMMI's Wave Beam. That's it's gimmick, it can see through walls (tho don't worry, you still have to be close enough for it to start chasing you).

11 hours ago, WraithReborn said:

So, my generation of people.

No, your generation of people is more... cavemen.

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

>Sees 10+ pages since my last visit

Nah, i ain't responding to all that. If i missed something, lmk.

I can't believe I played the entirety of Xenoblade, called it my new favorite videogame and you went and missed it.

9 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

bTVcQgg.png

90% FE Bosses in Shambles

FE bosses really needed to do more than just sit. It's something I liked about Vandal Hearts 2. Bosses get their hands dirty in that game.

8 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

As well as Luigi.

Well, you can't beat the Nothingmaster at his own game.

@GuardianSing, when you want Super Mario Smash Kart Bros, you meant like this right?

(Kirby should be carby)

39 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I can't believe I played the entirety of Xenoblade, called it my new favorite videogame and you went and missed it.

That good huh?

Maybe I should look at the series.

7 minutes ago, WraithReborn said:

Well gentlemen I’m not going to lie, the prospect of playing a remastered of Chrono Cross has made me interested in finishing out my old DS copy of Chrono Trigger and replaying it again.

Additionally, you could get yourself the remake of Chrono Trigger's daddy, Live a Live. Which as we all know, I am not even slightly excited for.

You know, jokes aside, I'm not one to care much over Youtube views.

But it does sadden me that the video that's taken me more effort than all the others combined (Berwick OST notwithstanding) is 100% going to get some of the lowest views in my entire channel, just because the subject matter appeals to like, two people in the world.

Oof.

A light coating of snow on this morning, not enough to wreck the roads, enough to coat the lawns, perfect. Seems like this will be the last snowfall of the season with how warm the weather is going to be from here on out. I don't care for sports, but the American Football Super Bowl being today gives us an excuse to get some good grub. Freshly baked rolls for breakfast, some ribeye prime rib for dinner, and a mille-feuille aka "Napoleon" and a chocolate-covered potato chip cupcake for dessert. 😋

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

Nah turns out i got hit by the Purple EMMI's Wave Beam. That's it's gimmick, it can see through walls (tho don't worry, you still have to be close enough for it to start chasing you).

...Ah, the Federation stole weapons and visor data from Samus. Not unsurprising, given they already showed themselves capable of replicating her weaponry in Fusion. -Unless they had independently invented the stuff, given known corruption therein, it could go either way.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

And the update added statistics to your playthrough

FLdPV53VIAAj3n9?format=jpg&name=large

Congrats on what is Outright Impossible for me!

228 deaths would be a small fraction of the total I would hypothetically experience, if I had the skills and resilience to make it to the end. I would more likely than not give up before the first boss.😅

And I wasn't sure an OHKO mode would be your kind of thing in the first place. Metroid an exception? Or is action-platformer in general the only genre you would consider it?

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

(Kirby should be carby)

I want another Air Ride. It stands a slightly higher chance than an F-Zero revival I would say, given Kirby's strong popularity in Japan (why else would they get a cafe and Mario had to wait years for a theme park?).

Got to the central unit for EMMI 6.

Laughed when the screw attack 1-shot it after the armour came off. Screwattack OP.

Which the laughter ran out when I realised I might be stuck. That's been resolved, but I have not continued from there yet because EMMI stress is I would argue a thing.

2 hours ago, WraithReborn said:

Well gentlemen I’m not going to lie, the prospect of playing a remastered of Chrono Cross has made me interested in finishing out my old DS copy of Chrono Trigger and replaying it again.

Ah yes, CT.

Did you get all the endings on it?

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I want another Air Ride. It stands a slightly higher chance than an F-Zero revival I would say, given Kirby's strong popularity in Japan (why else would they get a cafe and Mario had to wait years for a theme park?).

A cafe and a theme park are different prospects, but yeah, I get the point.

Kirby would probably have the Warp Star by default anyway

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

228 deaths would be a small fraction of the total I would hypothetically experience, if I had the skills and resilience to make it to the end. I would more likely than not give up before the first boss.😅

I am... curious to see if it recorded the stats once I finally finish the game.

Deaths will be a..... sight, to put it mildly.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You know, jokes aside, I'm not one to care much over Youtube views.

But it does sadden me that the video that's taken me more effort than all the others combined (Berwick OST notwithstanding) is 100% going to get some of the lowest views in my entire channel, just because the subject matter appeals to like, two people in the world.

Oof.

That is a lot of footage.

Haven't watched yet.

So i've been seeing a lot of theorizing about Xenoblade 3's fundamental gameplay mechanic, which has a lot of people thinking it's going to be stance changing. The main reason for this is Lanz and Eunie's weapons, as they both have like these hybrid weapons. The other party members don't appear to have that yet but it's not like that's required. After all, FF7R has stance changing and those guys just have one weapon. I could see stance changing be like, the next thing to be done after Torna's tag-team mechanic.

Either way, i do hope they keep hit-based cooldowns. Going back to time-based cooldowns would actually be a regression, and i say that as someone who has Xenoblade X as their second favorite game of all time.

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And I wasn't sure an OHKO mode would be your kind of thing in the first place. Metroid an exception? Or is action-platformer in general the only genre you would consider it?

Metroid Dread is an exception because of how incredibly well designed it is. Not to say that other Metroid games or other action-platformer games aren't well designed but Dread honestly has like, peak gameplay design as far as this genre goes. Dread Mode gave me even more appreciation for the bosses and the one time it kinda sucked was the first Twin Robot fight in Burenia (which i think you can technically skip if you go the long way around but that consumes an insane amount of time that no speedrunner would ever do) but replaying this game every month since release has definitely paid off, as well as certain skips. The electric flying beetle boss would've been way tougher had i not gotten the Screw Attack early (Screw Attack eviscerates that thing). MercurySteam was also incredibly smart in making enemy durability in Dread Mode be the same as in Normal Mode. You die in one hit but enemies and bosses don't take as many hits as in Hard Mode to beat so even if you fail at a boss, you can get back to where you were pretty quickly provided you don't die again.

You're right, normally these super tough difficulties are not my thing but as i said before, when Dread does it, it's just exquisitely designed. This is what all ultimate difficulties should strive to be (not necessarily the OHKO part but you get what i mean).

All that said, i do not have the patience for a boss rush in Dread Mode lmao. The bosses are well-designed but that would actually give me more stress than passing college math courses.

7 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I am... curious to see if it recorded the stats once I finally finish the game.

It probably will. I think it might've already taken track of that internally but they're finally showing you.

I'll boot up my original save from back when the game came out and check.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Either way, i do hope they keep hit-based cooldowns. Going back to time-based cooldowns would actually be a regression, and i say that as someone who has Xenoblade X as their second favorite game of all time.

I'm not sure that would work for X2. Auto-attacks already have their use of providing most of your TP, outside of Purple Arts during Overdrive. You'd need to reformulate how TP works I'd say, otherwise it would be redundant. As why not give Tension Arts an extra long hit-based cooldown then and eschew the 1000 TP cost altogether then? TP being used for Overdrive and revives alone seems a touch limited to me.