Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Great to hear it ended well for you. Z1 was making me think the entire series would end up being just Worse Gunvolt.

Z1 really is the worst impression. 

I will say overall Gunvolt > Zero and i was thinking about why exactly Zero 4 didn't make my Masterpiece Club while Gunvolt 2 did, despite both games being equal and i think i've figured out a potential cause: character interaction. The Zero games....don't really have this. The Gunvolt games have this alot.

Of course, at the end of the day, making my Masterpiece Club is purely a feeling thing but i think overall, that's why i'd put Gunvolt as a series over Zero as a series.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm interested to get your take on the ZX duo

First impressions of ZX is it controls really well and in hindsight it does make sense why it's playing more like Mega Man X. But then i found out it's  a Metroidvania where you can kinda go anywhere, barring locked doors, and uhhhh....well we'll see. At the very least, i know Inti is capable of great Metroidvanias, whether this is something they managed to pull off with this duology or if they actually got it good with the Blaster Master Zero trilogy, we shall see.

37 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Ayy enjoy!

Pro tip: If you dislike the music install music mod. Makes the experience 100x better imo!

I think he's playing on Switch so mods probably won't be feasible for him.

• Replies 179.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

13 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Oof?

Ys 9 music is as bad as CS4, if not even worse.

If he is fine with it, that's ok, if not, it can ruin the game. I land in the latter camp. Without the mod Ys 9 would've been hell

Broke: Cheating is bad, git gud.

Woke: Okay here are some cheats, we'll just disable achievements if you use them.

Bespoke: Have an achievement for turning on the cheats.

Hmm, I wonder if I should start running through Maya Road already, or craft up some better gear first. Terraclone was really the only hiccup at Idra Cave...

I swear, there is no better feeling than finding a weapon cart when playing as a pacifist in Rogue Legacy 2.

The amount of gold I amassed in this one run is absolutely insane.

8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Welp, today was rough. Hope everyone here had a better day.

Sorry to hear that, buddy. I've been fine, myself. Hopefully you'll have a better time tomorrow.

Every time the Switch has the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition collection on sale, I'm tempted to buy it just out of curiosity to see how the game is supposed to actually work without mouse and keyboard.

Bahahahahahahah! Man, and I was afraid Exit Fate was done throwing wild shit at me.

You see, in the latest village, the town of Trarcia, I found only two new characters. They were both regular medieval knights, one of them so hilariously nondescript and forgettable that I was astounded he exists in this game. The other had the gimmick of speaking Shakespearean English, which would be wacky in another game, but it's just mundane here.

Anyway, the latter knight, Sef, told us the sad tale of his friend Soth, who had been taken to a volcano by a strange man. When we got there, it turned out the strange man was an eyeless demon by the name of Shin, who had turned Soth to evil by tempting him with powers most terrible. Naturally, we exorcised the evil from Soth's soul by beating the shit out of him. Then the power of friendship allowed Sef's verbose ass to save Soth from eternal damnation. They joined my team, Sef out of gratitude, Soth hoping to redeem himself. How oddly normal, for this game.

...Or so I thought, until the fucking evil wraith without eyes joined us too. Because why the fuck not, this is Exit Fate. We already have all sorts of insane people living for free in the castle, why not invite a literal demon too.

I love this game.

7 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Ys 9 music is as bad as CS4, if not even worse.

If he is fine with it, that's ok, if not, it can ruin the game. I land in the latter camp. Without the mod Ys 9 would've been hell

Oh god... That sounds like a nightmare! 

Well, music is purely taste, so thats up to the individual.

First play session of Ys IX is done. White Cat joined right before the low battery warning happened. A few thoughts:

• As I was aware the "modern Ys" gameplay paradigm from VIII has been carried over to IX. This is more of the same, I'm fine with that once in a while, there are enough video games out there that -even if I criticize franchise stagnancy- I can space out my experiences of within each franchise. I thought SMTV kept the combat too close to the tried-and-true Nocturne Press Turn system, yet it's been years since I played an SMT with it. So it ain't so bad.
  • The tower defense-styled battles showing up sooner is okay. I set the difficulty to Hard, since Normal being the second lowest of six felt off. Some Switch lag I think, but I can bear with it. I wish I had second right thumb so I could manipulate the camera and attack at the same time mid-battle. If I had developed any skills with Flash Move and Flash Guard, they've since degraded because I'm getting hit more than I should for what's the very beginning of the game.😅
  • Balduq, visually not as colorful as big tropical Seiren, that might weigh on it. Thank goodness the city has plenty of quick travel points, because I'm getting a little lost.
    • I'm curious what exactly they'll be doing with the prison. A "prison" over the body of ShadowSlaughter ChaosDemon, or is the entire former fortress and surrounding town one giant magic circle that can be used to shoot giant lasers able to turn empires into dust?
  • Music- forgettable. Nothing bad, but nothing is sticking in my head. Does playing undocked around 50% on the Switch volume mean I'm not listening to it loudly enough to judge?
  • They show off all the not-Adol playable characters right away, but are going to drip-feed them into actual recruitment. Aprilis is our wannabe Dana/Lead Girl of the Day B/c Adol will Always be the Lead Guy (unless they canonize the Neptunia? Parody). Colder and cooler compared to her immediate predecessor, who had a vulnerability and tragic air accompanying her strength; why does it seem like Aprilis won't be playable?
  • As for the five Monstrum, the designs are alright. Except for one:

Ys-IX-Raging-Bull.pngBovine-Sigh-2.png

Ahahahahahahahahahaha! I can't take this seriously!🤣

Raging Bull? -No, that's what the lifeless weeb looking at her is! This is a cow. It doesn't matter what you try calling it Falcom.

But, thank you Nihorny! I've been feeling pretty darn bad for a while, I'll take this incredibly unexpected upswing!

I'm gonna feel real sorry for her if the gal ends up being decent character-wise, because yowza she's an udder disaster visually.

---

And I do want that upswing, since before starting Ys IX, I bingewatched a series of food from the Titanic vids by the only person on YouTube who I've ever actually followed (I really really really don't venture that far into the World Wide Web). I thought the depressing stories from a slow-burn human tragedy owed much to human error from exactly 100 years ago would be the saddest part of said vids.

Nope! Some commenters were congratulating the guy on his 30th birthday last month. His 30th, 30. He is only 30? Having put out for over a year a series of fascinating and educational videos on food and history despite being neither a trained chef nor having a history degree? And happily married to his man? *Sniffles*...

955129BUKPL_509x.jpg?v=1625786376

I'm a useless vagabond of a human accomplishing absolutely nothing that shall one day die laden with regrets! His vast collection of Pokemon plushies is worth more than me!

Just another ordinary day for me, isn't it? Alternating between surprising highs, and I Feel Like A Bawling Anime Girl lows.

21 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

even if I criticize franchise stagnancy

For Ys 10 Falcom promised a new system 😉

I set the difficulty to Hard, since Normal being the second lowest of six felt off.

Ys 9 is much much much easier than 8.

I went Inferno, anything below that was just way too ez

There was even a meme i posted about this here last year xD

Does playing undocked around 50% on the Switch volume mean I'm not listening to it loudly enough to judge?

You aren't missing anything dw

Aprilis

not playable 😞

23 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Oh god... That sounds like a nightmare! 

it is....

Thankfully a mod (for PC) exists!

Edited by Shrimpolaris

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Oof, sorry to hear that...

I wasn't planning on fighting Kirby and the Forgotten Land's final boss today, but I did it anyway. The stuff revealed at the end was interesting, but to get more you have to gacha for lore instead of pausing for lore like usual. How devious! The epicness of the final boss helped make up for it however.

Obviously the game isn't done, so is there anything in particular I should focus on doing?

Alright, started going through Maya Road. I certainly need a stronger weapon. Also for some reason the ??? labeled enemies were absorbing the attacks of my Gorgeous Sword. It's not an elemental weapon, at least from the description... but I don't remember that they absorbed non-elemental attacks. Then again, I probably was using an elemental weapon in any previous playthroughs. Well, got the items to craft a stronger shortsword, and it's Earth elemental, so I can check if it changes.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Out of sheer boredom, I did something I didn’t expect to do: I tried teehee’s favorite Awakening mod. I picked hard difficulty instead of lunatic, since Ruben said most of his units were struggling to do damage, and I want an army of 2nd gens since I remember those being the interesting characters (meaning I need to rotate out units to get every kid), and I just felt like playing matchmaker. I was having decent fun so far, but the first 10 or so chapters of Awakening were never the problem.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Sorry to hear that, buddy. I've been fine, myself. Hopefully you'll have a better time tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

Oof, sorry to hear that...

9 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

oof

Take care, friend

Thanks, you three.

15 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yes, they did. The game makes no secret of how much it loves Suikoden II. That being said, having seen a couple of Suikoden II war battles, I get the feeling this one's battles have a bit more to them. But then, I haven't played Suikoden II, so don't listen to me.

Eh, I'll leave the comparisons to more knowledgable people than me. I've made that mistake already. I'd rather not get into any more arguments than I already do on a regular basis. I'll just enjoy this game for what it is. Maybe give Suikoden II a shot later on, though... Honestly, from what I've seen of it, it lacks a lot of what makes me enjoy Exit Fate. But that's just what people say.

Doing fine overhere! How about you?

Lisa: The Painful. An Earthbound Inspired™ RPG that deals in child abuse, drug abuse, cycles of abuse and other abuse-related matters while also throwing plenty of dark humor your way. It has some permadeath, too. I used to call it the most fun RPG I played, which wasn't saying much, but hey, I enjoyed myself with it, especially since it isn't long enough to outlast its welcome. Now I can safely say Exit Fate is more enjoyable to me, but that doesn't take away from Lisa's many excellent points. Very worthwhile game, I think.

That's good! I'm doing fine too. 

900x.jpg

Why a grind-heavy roguelike NIS? This humor might appeal to me.

2 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

not playable 😞

Ouch. I mean, the two-per-damage-type rule and five non-Adol Monstrum told me this might be the case. But I left open some remote possibility that, I dunno, the one named Renegade would die or betray or something. What exactly was Nihon Falcom thinking? Rifle girl gonna die before the final battle?

Your use of an emoji is suggesting that you have some fondness for Aprilis. Curious. No spoilers please.

2 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

For Ys 10 Falcom promised a new system 😉

Hmm... Ys X first, or Ys V Remake? I'll assume they'll share in the new combat.

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

Sorry I didn't catch this earlier. May things work out for the better!

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sorry I didn't catch this earlier. May things work out for the better!

Just now, lightcosmo said:

@Sooks sorry im late but i'm praying for things to look up for you! 😀

Thanks as well!

Although it’s not really things that are looking bad for me (although I was pretty mad at myself for doing something dumb earlier), it’s for a friend I was worried about.