• Replies 176.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

practically every female character in the game is short hair.

Xenoblade is actually the worst game ever made and a disgrace to mankind.

I have a sudden urge to write a three page essay on how sexualization is the bane of humanity

23 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It is done. The rebellion has been crushed...

RIP racism team. Three cheers for religious discrimination!

Edited by Sooks

2 hours ago, Shrimpy said:

Ganglion sounds like Garon 😛

The very thin lining about them, is that they're definitely not the True Villain of the XCX world. Who is? I don't know, I haven't played the sequel yet.

XCX is the game where they intentionally put the main story in the backseat, but even that doesn't totally justify the Ganglion's very lackluster showing.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Xenoblade X still has the worst villains tho by far. I'll take Mobius over the Ganglion any day.

No idea who this Midbus is, but for the Ganglion, the leadership is by far the weakest aspect of them.

• Their reason for villainy is pretty generic, but they do present themselves as sufficiently threatening and driven. 
  • Thanks to the Enemy Index, we get a fair bit of information on their weapons too.
  • I kinda like that they're a coalition, even if we don't get that much information on the organizational structure of their ranks, nor on the Marnuck and Milsaadi. 

And for presence... while they aren't the prettiest parts of Mira, I do have some appreciation for the many Ganglion bases across the planet. You can't ever forget that the Ganglion exist, and that they're well-entrenched in every region. It also shows you how non-Earthlings are toughing it out on Mira. The number of strongholds that the Ganglion have built in a few months -often situated in naturally-defensible locations carved into Mira's terrain- is impressive. After XCX is over, it wouldn't surprise me if humanity decided to keep a few as outposts of NLA, it's free infrastructure in good places after all. Probably better than the BLADE base camps scattered in open fields for long-term settlement.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Ok so here's like my thing about it. I kinda agree.....but each game in the series has at least one or two absolutely kino villains.

• Xenogears: Id, Krellian (and Ghraf probably but i need to replay to confirm)

Id as a villain... I dunno. They're certainly not a force for good, but villain? It's hard to be a villain when you can't be free.

Krellian is third in the Xenogears triumvirate for me. Grahf and Miang are about tied, but Grahf has style which gives him the edge imo. Krellian comes last, has the least presence, and is a bit tricky to understand. Not helped by his late arrival means most of his showing is in Disc 2, when everything gets thrown at you and you don't get the proper spacing to digest it all.

10 minutes ago, Sooks said:

RIP racism team. Three cheers for religious discrimination!

It's kinda sad to think that repelling the White-Gold Concordat may be easier than for the Nords to let go of their racism. And the former requires the Empire winning Round 2 against the Thalmor!

Hee hee Tachyon Slash go brr

8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Jokes aside, it does make sense when you think about it within the context of the game's story. Everyone's fighting a forever war and realistically, long hair will get in the way (and it's a JRPG so when I say long hair, I mean long hair). So everyone having short or, at the longest, shoulder length hair makes sense when you consider they are all soldiers. Hell Noah has long hair for a guy and he gotta tie it up.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

kinda like that they're a coalition

I find it interesting how the Ganglion is this big threat to humanity but then the Ma-non are like "yeah the Ganglion are pretty mid on the interstellar civilization tier-list". Though I don't know if that's the Ma-non being cheeky.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Id as a villain... I dunno. They're certainly not a force for good, but villain? It's hard to be a villain when you can't be free.

A lot of it has to do with Fei tbh.

17 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I have a sudden urge to write a three page essay on how sexualization is the bane of humanity

To be fair, short hair is just easier to handle in 3D modeling, so it's not surprising if a lot of people go for that. Unless they/you don't mind the "solid" hair or clipping that may arise.

Well, it's done. Just about all the base-game content is done. Barring those loose single-quest dungeons, getting the rest of the Dragon Priest masks (missing five as it were), and all the rest of the Word Walls. But all the main questlines and the like are done.

Next, time to begin the Dawnguard DLC... but that's for next time...

24 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So everyone having short or, at the longest, shoulder length hair makes sense when you consider they are all soldiers. Hell Noah has long hair for a guy and he gotta tie it up.

As a fun fact, the Roman army had regulations for hair length so that enemy soldiers couldn't grab it!

I have logged 69 hours into Xenoblade 3. Nice.

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

As a fun fact, the Roman army had regulations for hair length so that enemy soldiers couldn't grab it!

And "Consul" is Roman terminology and as established by the game early on, they're the ones pulling the strings.

You may be onto something here Benice.

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Welcome to Fire Emblem. There is no better way to learn this lesson than an ironman run. You stop taking risks when risks could irremediably force you to watch your favorite person lose their life and never come back ever.

Something I've wanted to do before really going into the older games is play the ones I've already played but as an Ironman. Feel that'd be a nice way to ease into it.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I find it interesting how the Ganglion is this big threat to humanity but then the Ma-non are like "yeah the Ganglion are pretty mid on the interstellar civilization tier-list". Though I don't know if that's the Ma-non being cheeky.

I just rewatched the relevant XCX chapter (don't worry, my eyes saw nothing XC3 while doing so🙈). The Ma-non put the Samaar Federation at "only rule over a radius of 6 million light years or so of space".

Doing a quick look, our Milky Way Galaxy is about 100000 lightyears in size (and 200-400 billion stars), about averagely large. The largest known galaxy is IC 1101, which is ...a diameter of about 6 million lightyears.😆 Although this is diameter, radius is half a diameter, so I think that means Samaar is actually 12 million lightyears in size? Lin immediately states this would have to be multiple galaxies, the IRL facts mean she would be correct if they still hold true. 

What our candid and credible informants don't tell us, is exactly how many lightyears within that are specifically Ganglion. Although IC1101 is estimated to have 100 trillion stars, so even a "tiny" "run-of-the-mill crime syndicate" ought to have tens or hundreds of planets, maybe even more.

As for their boasts, they do say that the Ganglion want their technology in their first mention of it. But later, they say they're far more advanced than Samaar. So I think we can reject the possibility that the Ganglion aren't as up-to-date as the rest/core of Samaar, their tech level is probably generally representative of Samaar as a whole.

If you assumed Bigger Empire = Better Tech -maybe it's right, maybe it isn't- then how gargantuan are things bigger than Samaar? However, the implication the Ma-non give, is that Samaar is big enough that you really have to be living in the intergalactic boondocks if you haven't ever heard of Samaar. The word choice of the "only rule over six mil" when examined looks like it might be intentional sarcastic understatement. Which should mean Samaar is BIG, but not scientifically superior. By contrast, the Ma-non seem pretty peaceful, and the Orphe are too, I can't imagine either of them leading an interstellar federation, yet both have great science and engineering that the Ganglion want.

This does really emphasize that humanity is extraordinarily stupendously insignificant in the context of intelligent life across the cosmos.

And that's it for Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition.

The JRPG of all time.

Kidding aside, it was a fun game. Suffers from a bit of pacing issues (both early and late game; the early game pacing and gameplay being why I dropped it for so long) and the grind:tm:, but hardly enough for me to not say it's a very solid RPG.

The story is nothing particularly original, but I don't need a perfectly novel story to be satisfied. Tried and true tropes done well can be just as fulfilling as a story that diverges from the norm in every way. Xenoblade is the former, and while I think the latter parts of the story lose some focus, I still enjoyed it well enough that I'd never call it a bad or even mediocre story.

The cast of characters are where it shines much more brightly (and is what matters most to me in RPGs anyway). Not every characters gets as much as they deserve for time in the spotlight, but the ones I liked most did, so you won't see me complaining. Riki is bestest heropon and that's just an objective fact.

Music is fantastic. That's it. It's fantastic. I have nothing more to say apart from absolutely loving the sound direction the game has.

DE is the version of the game I played first, though I've seen the art style for the original as well. I have no preference between the two. Both look good to my eyes, and I like how even the much-more-mainstream-anime-ish DE still manages to look distinct from the vast number of other JRPGs out there.

Gameplay takes a while to get going, but once it opens up, it's very satisfying to mess around with. Mid-late game is that sweet spot where you have so many options available to you that experimenting is as enjoyable as progressing the story.

Future Connected is a nice side story. You'll never see me complaining about more Melia-focused story moments, and FC doesn't disappoint there. The story and gameplay changes are just alright, but as an overall experience, it's pretty fun. FC also has some of my favorite battle themes in the entire game.

Nicely done, Monolith Soft.

And just in time for XC3 coming in the mail tomorrow.