Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Every time I see footage of Xenoblade scenes it strikes me just how hard it tries to be funny. More a fan of subdued, dry humor used more sporadically, myself.

That's because I pick out the memey videos to share. And I was going to complement your art, but for that comment I'll instead go and... uh, not do that.

2 hours ago, Benice said:

Secondly, though I'm not done yet and apparently I'm just about to get to the good part, I'm not really impressed by either the characters or plot so far. It's not terrible or anything, but at present, I wouldn't recommend it too heavily in that regard.

I don't fully blame you for not reaching this point yet, but the endgame is much better than the beginning and is probably the best part of the entire series (XC3, conversely, ends weaker than it started). But it's mostly predicated on how you feel about the characters, so you might not like it as much.

37 minutes ago, Sooks said:

No Benice, Laura has never been a good character!

No no, Laura is cool. She's not outstandingly complex but she's still pretty fleshed out, Rean and Fie need their sword buddy after all.

35 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Welp, guess the thread is down a Sooks simps for Rixia joke. Oh the horror.

Simping for Rixia is my joke, and the forum knows that.

36 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

Prime's a little bit confusing to me about where it fits if it's in the same timeline as the 2D titles, but it's Prime 1, 2 and 3 so that's straightforward.

The Prime games take place between 1 and 2. You also forgot Other M, which takes place between Super and Fusion.

• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 minute ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Hey that reminds me, how important is the chronology of these games? Is it like Zelda where it exists but it barely matters or is it like a continuous story?

There is a continuous story, but it's not like, that vital to understand to play the games outside some main points you can infer or the game itself tells you anyway.

But if curious, the timeline here:

Metroid timeline | Wikitroid | Fandom

1 minute ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Buddy, you should've seen the SoV and MoTE runs.

I mean you might have, I can't recall if you were around for those or not.

I mean, I wouldn't consider SoV a Kaga game, considering how much SoV added/changed... and ironically, Gaiden is the less sexist of the two.

4 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

ornkJWj.png

Oh god

How difficult is this game?

If I recall, difficulties mostly affect how much damage enemies do, and bosses health and AI patterns. There's a Hard difficulty, which is like Normal, except Energy/Missile/Bomb capacity upgrades don't give as much as Easy/Normal does.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Just now, Lightchao42 said:

The Prime games take place between 1 and 2. You also forgot Other M, which takes place between Super and Fusion.

See, I'll admit my limits with these. Least I'll have the Wii ready again with what I mentioned earlier.

Other M's in a weird place from what I understand. Marketing for Dread excluded it but Ninty hasn't said it isn't and it's got some mention in Dread. So yeah, that alongside Prime then to sort out.

Just now, Edelguardiansing said:

ornkJWj.png

Oh god

Oh gee, you started.

That was quick.

24 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

Mostly it's a structural nightmare to everyone else. It'd inevitably run right up against regional and continental competitions, mess with club games more often than it already does and it doesn't help that the reason for doing it makes Infantino sound like Mr. Krabs.

14 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

* You need qualifiers for every world cup, and these take alot of time. Reducing the time -> Players play more games -> Health problems

* There are other national competitions going on. Continental ones (Like Euros, Copa America, Africa cup of Nations, etc) and atm they align so they don't intersect (Example, This year is world cup, in 2 years Euros and America, while next year and 2025 Africa before World cup 2026)

* Club football also has international competitions, and those are yearly. And national competitions are hell due to football structure. It's like this everywhere, not just Europe

* And last.. it loses it's luster

I see I see, thank you.

22 minutes ago, Benice said:

I'm listening...

No Benice, that’s the thing. There isn’t anything to listen to! See? See? How great is that?

12 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Buddy, you should've seen the SoV and MoTE runs.

Lmao SoV, well that speaks for itself.

I don’t know anything about Mystery of the Emblem, other than that I played a couple chapters of its remake on a difficulty that was too easy and just gave up.

12 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

I mean you might have, I can't recall if you were around for those or not.

Eh probably not, I’ve been phasing in and out of existence in this thread for a while now.

13 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

But it's mostly predicated on how you feel about the characters, so you might not like it as much.

I mean, I think the characters are fine. I'm sure I'll enjoy it well enough, I just need to get back to playing it.

13 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

fleshed

Speaking of flesh, I just remembered that I forgot to eat today.

Whoops.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

No Benice, that’s the thing. There isn’t anything to listen to! See? See? How great is that?

4 minutes ago, Benice said:

Speaking of flesh, I just remembered that I forgot to eat today.

GO FIX THAT RIGHT NOW

4 minutes ago, Benice said:

Nvm I take it back

Spoiler

Just kidding, please eat

22 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

That reminds me, I'm still stuck at the Meat Circus in Psychonauts...

That last level is a difficulty spike, but I wish you luck if you ever get back to it, as you are right at the end.

17 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Heh, Reminds me of most 3D animated films from the 2000s.

It was about that era, 2005 originally.

16 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Forgetting Metroid: Other M (or MOM for short) is generally considered a good thing, although I am sure @Edelguardiansing would have plenty of things to critique once they start waffling about "the bAbY"... That game was such a mess.

14 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

ornkJWj.png

Oh god

Have fun. If the Metroid half of Metroidvania doesn't end up clicking for you, yo could always try out the Vania half with the utterly classic Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

1 minute ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

That last level is a difficulty spike, but I wish you luck if you ever get back to it, as you are right at the end.

Yeah, admittedly, it's been pushed way down on the backlog... but yes, I intend to finish it. Precisely for being so close it bothers me to still leave it hanging... but one day... one day...

7 hours ago, Green06 said:

The reception was better, but it still was a mistake imo

Old VA's were fine

This is beyond bad reception, haha. 

So many complaints i think they should just admit their mistake. Xd

4 hours ago, Green06 said:

OG theme still superior tho

True but Neo did have Colress

>Joins Neo Team Plasma

>Doesn't actually help them, he just wants to do research

Gigachad.

6 hours ago, Benice said:

I'm of the opinion that, as an experience, it's nearly incomparable.

Wanted to talk about this because yeah. There's something about Xenoblade games that no other games can match for me. 

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Every time I see footage of Xenoblade scenes it strikes me just how hard it tries to be funny

It's actually just this character specifically.

He's Owain but actually has the skills to back it up.

6 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

Just realised Penny Pokemon could be Alear Fire Emblem's kid.

For whatever that's worth.

Hope her mom/dad also has a banger theme associated with them

5 hours ago, Benice said:

Thirdly, I think I just don't quite get the combat. I ended up basically doing the same thing in every battle because from what I can tell, it doesn't really matter... Though that can't be true, because I died all the time. I don't know if this is the game's fault or mine, though.

It's the game's fault for poorly explaining things to you.

Xenoblade 3 overcorrected on this and there were still people who didn't realize you could change the order of attack during Chain Attacks.

3 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Dread, Samus Returns, and Prime are the big ones I hear people talk about a lot. Zero Mission as well.

All of these are good to great and Prime is there too i guess.

I'd recommend going through the 2D series in order, then playing the Prime games later.

3 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Now I'm sure in my general crusade against sexism in video games I'm sure any playthough I do of Xenoblade will spark quite the discussion on here which will always be fun.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't because i've gone five years of seeing people make the same, surface level complaints and i'm so tired.

3 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

Samus Returns is 3DS and while it should be similar to Dread I can't make any good comparisons as this is the only one I haven't played at all.

Samus Returns at the very least should be played before Dread since it's basically the test run before Dread smoothed out the mechanics.

2 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Is it like Zelda where it exists but it barely matters or is it like a continuous story?

Yes.

2 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

ornkJWj.png

Oh god

It's alright. Far from the hardest Metroid game.

5 hours ago, Benice said:

I feel called out.

Don't. I sympathize with you.

https://i.imgur.com/zt2HGMp.png

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

No Benice, Laura has never been a good character! Even the ones who are just kinda there now weren’t like this, Elliot and Gaius were both cool in CS1, Machias had a phenomenal moment in CS2, and Emma had this one really interesting character trait in CS2 that led to some cool optional bonding moments. But Laura has literally never been interesting, like looking back on it I’m really wondering what the point of her character is.

Laura is good at first. She's important to the story because she is the person Rean aspires to be, having the most insight into his mental state (out of everyone that isn't Towa) and she's the only friendly girl at the beginning of the game. Sure, her narrative importance drops off of the face of the earth after that, but for that part at least she plays a critical role. She's also generically likable, and I can appreciate that when put against Alisa... a character's whose personality is a suite of frustrating contradictions ("Muh mom's a bitch, please like me") and whose arc legit becomes a tumor in the plot the further you go. In CS2, Laura also poses interesting questions about the need for swords when wars are now fought between tanks and mechs.

However, the moment new characters appear to take the place of the old cast is where all of her potential is wasted. You already have the hot lady knight who only thinks about getting stronger and can dominate everyone easily (Aurelia), Duvalie, who has a much more interesting relationship with Steel Maiden and especially Kurt, who does a lot of sword talk but he also has much more explicit insecurities and issues he spends two games working through (not living up to his family's legacy, losing his purpose in life) and a connection to an antagonist. He also gets to play off Juna and Ash a lot. That's way more than anything Laura ever got, which makes her more redundant than Emma.

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

Reject Laura, simp for Altina instead.

Does He Know? | Know Your Meme

I'll save this comment for later

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Gigachad.

https://i.redd.it/ve1iaegr3jr81.jpg

OH GOD ELISE IS BACK OH NO

Well, that’s a wrap on Trails of Cold Steel 4 folks. 0/10, thoughts later.

…Seriously though, I have good and bad news: I’m starting to binge this game. That’s good because I haven’t done that since Azure, which shows how much these games are improving, but it’s bad because I’m nowhere near done, I’m pretty sure, and if I don’t end a binge-a-thon with me finishing a game, I get super burnt out on it. Hm…

5 minutes ago, Green06 said:

https://i.redd.it/ve1iaegr3jr81.jpg

I fucking forgot he appeared in SM.

Apparently he has a super expanded role in USUM and I don't know how to feel about that because USUM was the game that made me go "yeah maybe I don't need to buy each new Pokemon game" and then SwSh happened.

7 minutes ago, Green06 said:

Laura is good at first. She's important to the story because she is the person Rean aspires to be, having the most insight into his mental state (out of everyone that isn't Towa)

That’s actually a little true, I forgot about their way of the sword discussions in CS1. But Rean has always been horribly characterized, so can you blame me for forgetting who has what relationship with him?

and she's the only friendly girl at the beginning of the game.

Emma? Towa? Musse?

She's also generically likable

Boooooring

and I can appreciate that when put against Alisa... a character's whose personality is a suite of frustrating contradictions ("Muh mom's a bitch, please like me")

Laura’s spat with Fie in CS1

In CS2, Laura also poses interesting questions about the need for swords when wars are now fought between tanks and mechs.

I… do not remember this. But I mean cmon Laura + CS2, why would I do that to myself?

Duvalie, who has a much more interesting relationship with Steel Maiden and especially Kurt, who does a lot of sword talk but he also has much more explicit insecurities and issues he spends two games working through (not living up to his family's legacy, losing his purpose in life) and a connection to an antagonist.

Based.

Does He Know? | Know Your Meme

I'll save this comment for later

No… 06, I don’t like this. No—