• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 minute ago, This boi uses Nino said:

What's up. Why is this thread so god damn active damn.

Tee... hee... I feel dead.

Hello there! It's the resident chat thread, since all others are no longer. Or they moved to the Discord, I guess.

Huh, something amiss...?

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

@Benice these are the wonderful Tera strats we were talking about.

The game is over, pack it up.

That's Smogon banning Tera in Anything Goes.

6 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

It just kinda happened.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

@Benice these are the wonderful Tera strats we were talking about.

The game is over, pack it up.

This is god damn hilarious. The XC2 music too makes it even better.

=IF(OR(MAX($'Turns&XP'.D18:$'Turns&XP'.$D18,$'Turns&XP'.$B18)<2001,$'Turns&XP'.$B18>2001),MAX($'Turns&XP'.D18:$'Turns&XP'.$D18,$'Turns&XP'.$B18)-$'Turns&XP'.$B18,$'Turns&XP'.$C18-$'Turns&XP'.$B18+MAX($'Turns&XP'.D18:$'Turns&XP'.$D18,$'Turns&XP'.$B18)-2100)

And now my clunky Excel (well, Libre Office) sheet for ranked BinBla is a bit less clunky. Bit of a pointless endeavour, since I don't know if I'll even make use of it, but the jank in the old version (you had to fill out every unit's XP count, even if you didn't field them, and it had a "lost XP" row that's now replaced with a "promoted at Lv x.xx" column) had always bothered me out of principle, so I had to fix it out of principle :lol:

I'm sure it's still janky from the perspective of people that are better at Excel-Fu than me, but at least it should work properly for just typing in turncounts, XP on fielded units, and promotion levels (and change the requirements for FFO and Jerme/Kenneth as needed).

10 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, if it goes anything like in real life, you'll just get out of the monarchy only to fall into the longest-running fascist dictatorship of the XXth century. And then back to the monarchy. Not that the king does anything these days other than serve the function of an ambassador with a massive lifelong pay, a palace and immunity to the law, but I digress.

Still, it's not the best country, but we are okay. Could be a lot worse. So I guess it's possible-ish?

That's the fun thing about Victoria 3. Impossible outcomes of history are suddenly more possible since they're simplified into video game rules. It's a nice little escapists fantasy to imagine what if you're country did all the right things before I was born and not much needs to be done.

10 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

She has certainly rocked your world. It won't be long now before you find yourself hating on Byleth for taking her attention away from you.

Dear god... Alright you folks need to pull me out if I start acting yandere towards Edelgard.

10 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I find this amusing, as on New Years Eve I was playing the classic boardgame of Here I Stand...

Heh.

This Christmas year me and my family played a boardgame called "Secret Hitler" which is a very fun and funny history game.

8 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

76b1k9.jpg

Hahahaha! Oh that's glorious.

8 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

Describing the assembly of assault rifles: Phew

Describing the assault of assembly lines: Nope

Yep. I can listen to someone talk about how muskets work all day but as soon as they talk about how operation blitzkrieg couldn't totally worked it's time to get the hell out of there.

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

That's not a quirk, that's just a thing that happens. My parents immigrated to the US 28 years ago and they still don't speak English that well. And honestly only my mom has like improved on that, my dad sounds like he gave up on learning English a long time ago.

I'd know, my father also has a thick El Salvadoran accent, but much like a Hollywood token Mexican characters having an exaggerated accent to show off how "Mexican" they are, It's not just that they have the accent, it's also that they're the only character from the place they originate

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

Is it actually that much of a myth tho? As in do people really think being a peasant was happy happy fun times?

I know, we have to take off our nerd glasses for a bit to notice that the majority of people either believe it was a cozy experience, or that peasants were just stupid and needed to be "protected" by lords.

Fun fact, when my mother went to El Salvador for the first time and met my now great grandmother, my mother asked about her childhood expecting to hear romanticized stories of a Latina growing up in the countryside, but what she got was my great grandmother talking about how bitter and awful it was.

5 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Honestly, I feel that if there's a "myth" nowadays, it's the idea that every single nobility/royal was an oppressive monster. Since yes, I also doubt people nowadays think everything was peachy. If anything it's the other way around, thinking instead things were even worse than they actually were.

That's not really a situation you can two-side when embracing the awful and horrific treatment of surfs or slaves over the past 2000 years of human history, starting with Mesopotamian Ilkum and extending to this day with the world's poor and homeless, or should I list some examples?

1 hour ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Yes, under the surface of this seemingly slow forum, a world of life can be found in teehee.

Welcome, welcome!

Edited by Edelguardiansing

4 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

That's not really a situation you can two-side when embracing the awful and horrific treatment of surfs or slaves over the past 2000 years of human history, starting with Mesopotamian Ilkum and extending to this day with the world's poor and homeless, or should I list some examples?

In way it can. Like Thracia, there's no 100% nor 0%. No one seems to deny everything wasn't perfect or everything wasn't horrible... except you, perhaps.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Jeez, you want to laugh about what's going on in the US House of Reps.

Then I remember the state of things in NI and see at least Congress won't get paid while this mess goes on. Feckin' hell.

2 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

This Christmas year me and my family played a boardgame called "Secret Hitler" which is a very fun and funny history game.

Still don't know what happened with the one my brother printed off, that was fun for a few years.

Maybe I should just print it, it's not like it needs thicker paper.

41 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

it's also that they're the only character from the place they originate

I don't often speak in favour of TH, but to be honest, I feel like the limited number of people from Fodlan-adjacent countries was mostly because of time constraints: Look at how Almyra got absolutely shafted in VW*, and that's when they're entirely steeped into the plot. I'm sure the writers would have wanted to expand more on the other countries, they just really never got to.

*Arguably I could also say look at the state that this game is in and it'd be a better argument for the time constraints than that what I actually said lmao

41 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

I know, we have to take off our nerd glasses for a bit to notice that the majority of people either believe it was a cozy experience, or that peasants were just stupid and needed to be "protected" by lords.

To be fair, FE is a fantasy series- Things are often romanticized in Fantasy as a genre, not to mention things like Pastorales, which have been around for hundreds of years. Similarly, evil kings and demonized nobles have been around just as long: The truth falls somewhere in between, and neither side has the whole truth. Furthermore, there are a lot of reasons to present nobility or peasantry in a certain way: For example, to me, narrative poses more interesting questions (and thereby answers) by presenting us with a good, well-intentioned and kind monarch trying to not get overthrown, rather than an evil, self-centered one, even though there were all sorts across the world at differing time periods. Evil monarchs tend to just lead to "Monarchy bad"-type themes, which just aren't that strong, whereas a benign one's struggle with the peasantry causes a more interesting narrative discussion and has much more potential for exploring meaning in the narrative. 

Anecdotally, you'll probably find these two poems interesting, since they touch on basically exactly the discussion we're having here, with an argument between a romanticized pastoral life and a more realistic one. These two poets lived in the same country at the same time: They both knew of the reality of life there.

Point being, romanticized or fantastical depictions of things aren't always a superb indication of attitudes towards a certain thing: I'm pretty sure that anyone with even a mild education in history knows that peasants and serfs were not exactly treated well, and it doesn't take a PhD in history to see that after some research.

Edited by Benice

2 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

That's Smogon banning Tera in Anything Goes.

If it's Anything Goes, why would it be banned?

55 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

It's not just that they have the accent, it's also that they're the only character from the place they originate

I think in Petra's case, we at least learn through Supports what Brighid is all about. So it makes up for it.

know, we have to take off our nerd glasses for a bit to notice that the majority of people either believe it was a cozy experience, or that peasants were just stupid and needed to be "protected" by lords.

I've never met somebody who believes either. Or rather, to the absolute extent.

If anything, it's a pretty common fact that peasant life was just kinda shitty while also being it is what it is. 

Fun fact, when my mother went to El Salvador for the first time and met my now great grandmother, my mother asked about her childhood expecting to hear romanticized stories of a Latina growing up in the countryside, but what she got was my great grandmother talking about how bitter and awful it was

Mmm. But it's also anecdotal too. My mom grew up in the slums of Caracas and while she has her fair share of awful stories, she also has a lot of good stories from there as well.

...of course, things were better back then than they are today. 

27 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

Jeez, you want to laugh about what's going on in the US

Yeah.

14 minutes ago, Benice said:

I'm sure the writers would have wanted to expand more on the other countries, they just really never got to.

Nah cause Xenoblade 2 similarly got hit with constraints but all the countries in the game are represented and explored upon.

14 minutes ago, Benice said:

Things are often romanticized in Fantasy as a genre

Yeah cause like this is because audiences don't like seeing little Johnny die of the bubonic plague at age 5.

It also just..... completely depends on the tone of the story too. Most Atelier characters would be classified as peasants but do we really need to see them suffer through daily life?

Edited by Armagon

Hey, could be worse. Spain spent almost a year without a president.

Mariano Rajoy was the acting president for 316 days between 2015 and 2016, as every candidate failed to obtain the necessary majority, even with pacts between parties. Then he finally managed to become proper president again, and a couple years later he was given a vote of no confidence and replaced by Pedro Sanchez, who proceeded to spend 254 days as acting president himself.

Hilarious.

1 hour ago, Edelguardiansing said:

That's the fun thing about Victoria 3. Impossible outcomes of history are suddenly more possible since they're simplified into video game rules. It's a nice little escapists fantasy to imagine what if you're country did all the right things before I was born and not much needs to be done.

I mean, if my country did all the right things it might very well be the only country in the world lol. We had everything, proceeded to fuck up spectacularly and now we're a completely irrelevant chunk of land at the ass of Europe. Impressive.

Dear god... Alright you folks need to pull me out if I start acting yandere towards Edelgard.

I will go to your house and blow up your Houses copy. With a bazooka.

1 hour ago, Edelguardiansing said:

But we really gotta look at it from the lords' perspective, sometimes it was stressful to rule or something. Let's be fair here.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

In way it can. Like Thracia, there's no 100% nor 0%. No one seems to deny everything wasn't perfect or everything wasn't horrible... except you, perhaps.

Nuance is good, but in such serious topics of human rights it can be dangerous as the use of it gives an edge to the oppressors. It is an undeniable fact that peasants lived impoverished and tough lives, much more so than the average noble or lord, and a few "nice" lords here and there will do little to convince me that they didn't live in a system that allowed and encouraged harsh treatment of surfs and slaves for profit and personal gain.

And while I do agree that the rich people then and now are victims of that system as well, they have much more of a choice, and it cannot be denied that their choice more often than not was one of least resistance.

The nuance I see here is just the fact that poor peasants would be more close minded to social issues compared to city laborers or educated workers. It is true that working class farmers would be more bigoted because of their isolated situation, but again I put that as a fault of the system and not the peasants.

And it's not like the struggle for workers rights is a new thing, it's always existed, they always knew they were an oppressed class, they just didn't have the power get out, even later revolutions like the French and American were lead by wealthy aristocrats who kept their power after the fact.

"The red doors give off the smell of wine and meat while there are frozen corpses on the road" -Lu Du on the rich people of China

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them." -Bible verse about wealth and poverty.

"A prison with no prison guard, where no padlocks can be found, jail without no cells and bars, but you'll never escape from colored town" -Phil Ochs on segregated black neighborhoods in the 1960s.

31 minutes ago, Benice said:

To be fair, FE is a fantasy series- Things are often romanticized in Fantasy as a genre, not to mention things like Pastorales, which have been around for hundreds of years. Similarly, evil kings and demonized nobles have been around just as long: The truth falls somewhere in between, and neither side has the whole truth. Furthermore, there are a lot of reasons to present nobility or peasantry in a certain way: For example, to me, narrative poses more interesting questions (and thereby answers) by presenting us with a good, well-intentioned and kind monarch trying to not get overthrown, rather than an evil, self-centered one, even though there were all sorts across the world at differing time periods. Evil monarchs tend to just lead to "Monarchy bad"-type themes, which just aren't that strong, whereas a benign one's struggle with the peasantry causes a more interesting narrative discussion and has much more potential for exploring meaning in the narrative.

You have a point but personally I believe that when a story offers a lens of any kind to a certain issue it opens itself to criticism on that lens. Lord of The Rings is a perfect example of what you're talking about, it's a fantasy story with a romanticized ideal of lords and peasants but still manages to tell a gripping and complicated story without it bringing up the implications of the class distinctions.

Fire Emblem on the other hand wants to have it both ways, they want to have that romanticism of lords and surfs fighting together as if the class segregation never existed in the first place while also acknowledging that there is class segregation every once in a while, presumably to show off how "realistic" and "gritty" Fire Emblem is even though the story makes little time to actually explore that dynamic.

Fire Emblem's lens on the subject pretty much boils down to "Commoners think nobles are snobs" and "Nobles think commoners are improper" with the proposed solution being "They should just be nicer to each other" and that deserves critique.

Nuance is good, but in such serious topics of human rights it can be dangerous as the use of it gives an edge to the oppressors. It is an undeniable fact that peasants lived impoverished and tough lives, much more so than the average noble or lord, and a few "nice" lords here and there will do little to convince me that they didn't live in a system that allowed and encouraged harsh treatment of surfs and slaves for profit and personal gain.

No one here is denying that it was a horrible system and has to be changed or even replaced, but it's telling how you even have to put the word nice in quotation marks, as if unable to accept that it could be true. No one would deny they'd be a very very minority and that fact would be a bad thing, but should they exist and you're trying to deny their existence... well, that is also a bad thing to do.

Fire Emblem's lens on the subject pretty much boils down to "Commoners think nobles are snobs" and "Nobles think commoners are improper" with the proposed solution being "They should just be nicer to each other" and that deserves critique.

To be fair, if thousands of years ago we had indeed been in the mindset of "being nicer to each other", we wouldn't be in the need of needing to overhaul the system altogether. Respect and Tolerance is indeed a two-way street.

Maybe for us it's too late, but there is still merit in the lesson, as a way to fix the system before overhauling it. We work with what we have, then move to the hopefully better replacement. Because if we fail now, we could might as well fail later too.

Weeping Watson: The Game gets more and more fascinating. I went to find the saves, so I can upload them to my drive and not lose my progress when I go home for the (long) weekend. Simple enough, I've dond it with all games for s while.

...except the only thing I found at the purported save location were three JPEGs of the saves' ingame thumbnails. No hidden files or anything. Just, three JPEGs. This game saves progress on JPEGs.

What the absolute fuck is this game and how does that even work. How does the game even work.

...and still the janky ass game defeated me. The first (real) puzzle was a riddle that had me pacing for 20 minutes before checking the hints (pretty much just an in-built walkthrough, how nice of the devs) and proceeding to feel like a major dumbass. I don't know if it was ball-crunchingly hard or if I'm just an idiot. Probably more the latter. There was an actual logic to it, I just got caught up following different lines of thought.

Goddammit.

14 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Silly me

Join us, Boi. Join us in our Engage hype and our teeheeing.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Weeping Watson: The Game gets more and more fascinating. I went to find the saves, so I can upload them to my drive and not lose my progress when I go home for the (long) weekend. Simple enough, I've dond it with all games for s while.

...except the only thing I found at the purported save location were three JPEGs of the saves' ingame thumbnails. No hidden files or anything. Just, three JPEGs. This game saves progress on JPEGs.

What the absolute fuck is this game and how does that even work. How does the game even work.

...and still the janky ass game defeated me. The first (real) puzzle was a riddle that had me pacing for 20 minutes before checking the hints (pretty much just an in-built walkthrough, how nice of the devs) and proceeding to feel like a major dumbass. I don't know if it was ball-crunchingly hard or if I'm just an idiot. Probably more the latter. There was an actual logic to it, I just got caught up following different lines of thought.

Goddammit.

You cracked the game and it cracked you back.

Oh, interesting. I'd assume it interprets the "pictures"(?) and makes the appropriate flag checks based on that? It's the first thing that comes to mind.