Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

51 minutes ago, Benice said:

Hey, that doesn't look too-

OH GOD

That was my reaction when I first heard about this movie. But don't worry, the movie isn't graphic and it's pretty good.

Did I tell you it was based on real events?

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Translation: He's gushing and having the time of his life.

I’m no masochist or glutton for punishment, but I have grievously underestimated this game’s malice and cruelty.

Holy fucking shit.

Okay, so I only played 3 maps, and I’m 99% sure the first one was completely scripted. But the last two, especially the third map, were really fun and a little challenging, and I was already thinking. Now that’s not to say that these were 10/10 super complex maps, but for beginning maps, introducing mechanics I’ve never used before, they were great. I picked maddening difficulty btw. I see why Shrimpy had to reset on chapter 2, even if I made it out just fine.

The Emblem mechanic right now is so much fun. The flashy battle animations, the music that plays the first time you do it (btw I love the over the top OP theme in this game), the new combat model, and all the numbers everywhere… it’s fun and satisfying. In chapter 2 it didn’t feel broken or anything, I straight up had to use it to win. I would have lost if I didn’t. But well, we’ll see if that holds, this is just the beginning.

After Byleth, having an avatar with fully voiced dialogue feels great. And Alear’s dialogue feels a bit less generic that normal generic avatar, I’m starting to like them.

Clanne and Framme are fun.

Vander is an interesting Jagen, because he hasn’t been able to one round a single thing yet, which is rare for this series.

Numbers in general in this game seem to be lower, if the one level I got is anything to go by. And Shrimpy was right about seemingly reduced EXP.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Made it to the end of Ch.3.

I play games so slowly…

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

The Engage experience so far

And I’m loving it.

I only needed to see that bit of the Emblem of the Three Houses to see that reddit mini-comic totally nailed it. XD Well, not in that particular detail, but still. lol

... now I want to theory-craft Emblems... but not tonight, it's already too late to be awake for long.

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Made it to the end of Ch.3.

The Engage experience so far

Dayni:

Tumbling, burning with white-hot fire, I plunged into the depths of the abyss.  Unspeakable pain... relentless agony... ... time ceased to exist...  ... only this torture... and a deepening hatred of the hypocrisy that damned me to this hell.

Hurray, I'm awake. Now there's only all of work, lunch, the travel back home and the setting up of the switch to go. Fuck my life.

7 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Malice | Fire Emblem Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

Soon.

Ah, better.

One of my earliest memories of this thread actually come from seeing you talk about the crazy Serra you managed to train.

The only reason I didn't drop that replay like a sack of potatoes lol, great times.

You should, it also doesn't sell your search data like other search engines do.

Not bad! If it's true, not bad. I'll have to look them up.

Ignorance is bliss as they say.

I guess.

7 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Vandad the new Simpette?

Oh God, does he get kidnapped, chained up to the wall, slapped and mind controlled?

6 hours ago, Sooks said:

How dare you.

6 hours ago, Sooks said:

You’re just now hating men?

Imagine not hating men.

6 hours ago, Sooks said:

I’ll be waiting til mid afternoon tomorrow to seriously Engage. I’ll Engage for a bit at midnight unless I go overboard which is certainly possible but then it’ll be off to school and I won’t be back home until 8 hours later.

Oof.

6 hours ago, Green06 said:

It's not even possible without avatar shenanigans

You're just a chicken, cheep cheep cheep cheep.

6 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

dAJpjBW.jpg

What do mean "Professor"? Manuela, you're a professor!

Aren't you glad they did these workarounds in order to let you change your avatar's name? And nothing else?

...for the record, I'm also annoyed Engage does it. Let me change everything or nothing at all, these half-hearted nameable avatars are just dumb.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

Engage is getting a manga.

No fucking way, is that a joke? Is it actually what it says there? Story bad game gets the manga and masterpiece of all time doesn't?

Hah! Humor.

5 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

ci0iv3puk3da1.jpg

So first impressions after 5 chapters:

• New Mechanics overload kinda, but i am getting to it
  • Game seems deceptive...very deceptive. You see the map, think "oh easy", but these enemy combinations (and the named enemies with skills) are scary man
  • Armors good? Armors good
  • It's 3 am and i have work in 6 hours Ü
  • Growths seem low so far
  • Vandad the Jagenest Jagen to ever Jagen. The series finally did a Jagen right. Finally
  • Break Mechanic good. Unit Types good and makes even generic enemies without skills have something to them. For example, if you position your units wrong and make an enemy archer land on terrain...well, good luck hitting them with the double Avo bonus.
  • Reset chapter option in the menu is a godsend Ü. Because even just equipping the wrong weapon can lead to a reset
  • Ya know, in any another FE, stuff like WarpRagna or Move + 5 would break the game...yeah not here. Those peeps at IS were able to balance broken tools somehow???
  • I like so far.
  • I am kinda diggin Alear??

Oh God, the bit about Vandad in particular. That's incredible. Armors good? Mechanics broken but not broken? Jesus Christ and I still have like, fucking 10 more hours to go.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I like how you were complaining that we were going to skip a day.

Goddammit stupid fucking work.

23 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Holy fucking shit.

Okay, so I only played 3 maps, and I’m 99% sure the first one was completely scripted. But the last two, especially the third map, were really fun and a little challenging, and I was already thinking. Now that’s not to say that these were 10/10 super complex maps, but for beginning maps, introducing mechanics I’ve never used before, they were great. I picked maddening difficulty btw. I see why Shrimpy had to reset on chapter 2, even if I made it out just fine.

The Emblem mechanic right now is so much fun. The flashy battle animations, the music that plays the first time you do it (btw I love the over the top OP theme in this game), the new combat model, and all the numbers everywhere… it’s fun and satisfying. In chapter 2 it didn’t feel broken or anything, I straight up had to use it to win. I would have lost if I didn’t. But well, we’ll see if that holds, this is just the beginning.

After Byleth, having an avatar with fully voiced dialogue feels great. And Alear’s dialogue feels a bit less generic that normal generic avatar, I’m starting to like them.

Clanne and Framme are fun.

Vander is an interesting Jagen, because he hasn’t been able to one round a single thing yet, which is rare for this series.

Numbers in general in this game seem to be lower, if the one level I got is anything to go by. And Shrimpy was right about seemingly reduced EXP.

You too, of course. Everyone's gonna get a turn before me. Cock...

Extra little tidbits of Engage feature:

it seems the game had separate hidden save where it saves your achievement progress automatically,  regardless of your actual progress in game. so when you reset, using "redo" feature all those kill that gets undone still count towards achievement (that gives bond fragment)

in other words, the game secretly record your pathetic lost each time

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

It's peak.

Ok so Engage definitely is setting up the new QoL bar for the series then. I doubt FE18 will be like Engage, nor will I expect it to because we all know how Fire Emblem constantly changes. But these QoL options are huge.

not just any FE, but SRPG as a whole seems will benefit from FE. they really outdone themselves to the point i keep wondering how they will make next game as interesting as this when they ditch emblem, especially if its a remake.

4 hours ago, Benice said:

Hold on, what's "Oh my" about this?

51 minutes ago, Sooks said:

(btw I love the over the top OP theme in this game),

7c6.jpg

27 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...for the record, I'm also annoyed Engage does it. Let me change everything or nothing at all, these half-hearted nameable avatars are just dumb.

i wonder that too. just call the avatar by name ffs. why even bother giving the MC a name if its not gonna be used. even more so when they actually talk and have personality

Edited by joevar

5 minutes ago, joevar said:

not just any FE, but SRPG as a whole seems will benefit from FE. they really outdone themselves to the point i keep wondering how they will make next game as interesting as this when they ditch emblem, especially if its a remake.

They will go back to making narrative masterpieces with shitty gameplay

Please stop talking about this game so highly, I am watching the minutes pass at this point.

6 minutes ago, joevar said:

wonder that too. just call the avatar by name ffs. why even bother giving the MC a name if its not gonna be used. even more so when they actually talk and have personality

To be fair, if I'm not mistaken, at least Engage does have characters call Alear by name, the VAs just don't skip it. Inelegant, but it beats the entire population of the world calling Byleth "Professor" even when they're no longer a professor.

24 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

They will go back to making narrative masterpieces with shitty gameplay

Please stop talking about this game so highly, I am watching the minutes pass at this point.

-------------------------------

To be fair, if I'm not mistaken, at least Engage does have characters call Alear by name, the VAs just don't skip it. Inelegant, but it beats the entire population of the world calling Byleth "Professor" even when they're no longer a professor.

im sorry. i will stop praising it today.  will come back tomorrow tho

------

oh yes, thats true. its an improvement for sure that they actually call Alear, Alear in game dialogue. .. but still one step away from actually great by making the VAs call it

but its a minuscule annoyance at the end of the day

Edited by joevar

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You too, of course. Everyone's gonna get a turn before me. Cock...

There, there. You're guaranteed to Engage with Vandad before I do, even if the release in Spain is mysteriously delayed by another couple years.

Oh God, does he get kidnapped, chained up to the wall, slapped and mind controlled?

Spoiler

No he gives you money xD

Vandad Simpdad?

1 hour ago, joevar said:

they really outdone themselves to the point i keep wondering how they will make next game as interesting as this when they ditch emblem, especially if its a remake.

Plot twist: FE4 remake has holy blood users Jojo summoning the crusaders

1 hour ago, joevar said:

it seems the game had separate hidden save where it saves your achievement progress automatically,  regardless of your actual progress in game. so when you reset, using "redo" feature all those kill that gets undone still count towards achievement (that gives bond fragment)

So that's why i had units in ch5 that i got on ch3 get the "5 times deployed achivement" lmao

Oh God, the bit about Vandad in particular. That's incredible. Armors good? Mechanics broken but not broken? Jesus Christ and I still have like, fucking 10 more hours to go.

The game is so fucking tightly designed so far. It really is Fates all over again. Heck, might even be more tightly designed, although not as hard.

Here are a few examples:

Spoiler
  • Vandad can't one round anything. Just like a Jagen should, he is a great crutch. He can tank well, but they have enemy surprises with Ridersbane and chain attacks just for anyone that thinks "Let's send Jagen forward to tank"
  • Etie in her join chapter has exactly enough power to one shot the fliers. In the chapter after, she's 3 damage short from doing so....exactly what Alear's personal is for
  • Armors are the only ones who can tank, and they CAN TANK. Like finally. Add to that the whole no break thing and they finally have their niche. 

6 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Any idea which mode you plan on playing? Eliwood Normal Mode, Hector Normal Modem Eliwood Hard Mode, Hector Hard Mode?

New Mystery? Changed your mind on the next FE game already? Also I am a little worried you didn't hype up any of the Jugdral games, but I guess they are planned to be played even later.

I'll be honest, I have no idea what I was trying to do with those two posts, the plan hasn't changed.

I think I was just so braindead from a lack of the sleep of the night prior that this somehow made sense to me at the time

Not that there is much of a plan, after Crimson Flower and Radiant Dawn I imagine it will be a very spur of the moment decision.

But to hype up Jugdral, yes, these two boyos are coming soon.

Sigurd - Fire Emblem WikiLeif - Fire Emblem Wiki\

Aren't you glad they did these workarounds in order to let you change your avatar's name? And nothing else?

FE's obsession with self-insert avatars and fully voice acted lines severely clash with each other.

If anything, it's going to make the avatar worship even worse going forward as now every character will address them by a trivial title, effectively dehumanizing and distancing themselves away from the rest of the cast as a character to continue to stroke the ego of the player.

Say what you will about Corrin and Robin, them being referred to just by name and not by some title definitely helped make them feel more grounded in the story.