Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

54 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Pr3wC69.png

Ayy she playing the game

Oh hey, that's the one Mika designed, right? You can tell because she has the same face as Femlear

42 minutes ago, joevar said:

but i read it... thats in my nature. but still dont know. so it really lack proper explanation for me

No yeah, this isn't a game that you can expect to be an expert at from the outset. Everything starts to click as you play more. Or at least, that was my experience - and I didn't even read the tutorials!

speaking of which..

hG1bHDg7jv.jpg

there. as promised

Ayyyy

Look at that beautiful cutscene. All the little soldiers, the houses and the civilians. FE has never had cutscenes this pretty. Even Engage, visually great as it otherwise is, still suffers from cutscenes consisting of models performing stock animations in front of distorted JPEGs. Then there's this game having a full-on army standing on the sidelines.

dang, this chapter is really at the mercy of RNG. i hated it.

Ehhhhh.

We'll just leave it at I disagree.

what about double attack? is that because of miss, so attempting for another attack?

Indeed, (regular) battles end when one party takes damage. If the enemy takes no damage, the enemy takes a shot. If you take no damage and your speed is high enough, you double. It's a bit tough to wrap your head around, but it's great when it clicks.

Some weapons, like Ward's knight sword, add an extra round of combat for the user. In other words, when the regular round of combat ends, the unit gets an extra attack even if they took damage, as if it were a second round of combat where only the unit gets to act. They are marked by a + symbol in the battle forecast. For an example, if Ward attacks with that sword, the battle would go like this: Ward attacks -> If enemy takes no damage, enemy retaliates -> If Ward takes no damage, Ward doubles -> Ward gets an extra attack no matter what.

Other weapons, marked by a "x2" symbol, grant consecutive attacks, like a FE brave weapon. However, if you take damage, you don't get an extra attack.

I am horrible at explaining things, so I can only hope this makes any sense. It's a lot to take in, I know. Berwick's a rather complex game and it can feel daunting going in. But it's well worth getting used to. In my opinion, at least.

Oh wait, Octopath 2's demo is on PC. Then I'm probably gonna bother.

Also I'm getting the soundtrack on my reccs already and yeah, it's as awesome as Octopath 1's. The first normal combat theme feels like a boss theme. Why Square pops off with this series specifically, I have no idea.

Let’s finish the binge.

gsdx-20230210110642.png

Awaken Project A8! From stasis submerged in elixir, rise ancient homunculus, flex thy muscles, fibers fabricated!

Not the same vibes as the prior Atelier Irises' trailers, the music makes the difference. Has a more serious feel.

Looks like the third playable character is a girl of iffy attire with a big red ribbon automatically disqualifies it from matching that impeccable trinity.

Unlike the second Atelier Iris game, where the Japanese subtitle the true subtitle was “Eternal Mana 2”, while North America used “The Azoth of Destiny”, Grand Phantasm is the subtitle of Atelier Iris 3 in all regions. Does this represent a break from shared lore aspects and or gameplay elements of its predecessors? Only one way to find out.

gsdx-20230210111434.png

After lore quotation and ??? story teasers, battle.

gsdx-20230210111353.pnggsdx-20230210111359.png

Combat looks like they altered AI2’s with the intent to improve on it. Doesn’t feel like a serious upgrade the way AI2 did over AI1, however. Hitting weaknesses good, dealing many hits good, break the enemies that way, Burst fills up as a result, go crazy with the offense when you trigger that. Doesn't appear as easy as in AI2 to delay enemies out of getting actions though, despite the game suggesting you do that. The replacement for the Charge gauge regarding skill usage now has post-battle carryover, a small improvement there.

gsdx-20230210111508.png

The only playable Iris in the entire trilogy. Somewhat strange they didn't do that with the first two games, although AI1 had a good excuse. Iris III looks both sensitive and optimistic, of physical age betwixt Iris I and Iris II. And she is one the last alchemists, as it sounds like it's a dying art in this world.

Edge here might say “Burn in Hell!” during the one skill he starts with, but not edgy. Stoic appearance, yet his other expressions do not indicate a lack of emotion. His sprites' red hair disagrees with his portraits' brown, makes him half-mistakable for Adol.

Overall visual presentation looks a tad crowded or too zoomed-in, I think I prefer Iris 2 in this regard, though 3 is better than 1.

gsdx-20230210111724.pnggsdx-20230210111733.png

It’s an Atelier alright.

gsdx-20230210113754.pnggsdx-20230210113821.pnggsdx-20230210113832.pnggsdx-20230210113948.pnggsdx-20230210114017.png

So Atelier is a dungeon-crawler now? Atelier Odyssey with a time limit? Time will tell if the limited duration in the Alterworlds was a bad idea.

But, I’m not liking that it doesn’t appear to tell you how much time you’ve wasted during a battle. Is it a fixed amount per encounter, or does it deplete at a variable rate? If the latter, based on real time passed or number of actions taken?

While the decreasing dots are okay, would it have been bad to show me the actual number of minutes?

gsdx-20230210113919.png

Visible enemy encounters, a positive change.

gsdx-20230210113957.png

FOEs?! Can’t wait to get OHKO’ed by a forest deer’s hind legs.

gsdx-20230210122608.png

Why are there amorous fairies in every Iris?🤔

gsdx-20230210123753.pnggsdx-20230210123810.png

The first hour felt… awkward? Not all games begin with their initial character expose, that’s commonplace. I understand why, it could be snappier and more natural to begin with a dose of action. To reference that other trio of heroes game, it’s not until Hassaleh that things relax and elucidate on Sagi’s and Guillo’s backstory. It would appear Iris 3 chose to explain the questing & Alterworld gameplay loop before getting to its cast and plot. The story should start next session.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Fog4kSeWYAAtGDP?format=jpg&name=900x900

Fog7Bv8XgAI8JXZ?format=png&name=medium

Fog8m1mXsAAt2Un?format=png&name=small

When devs take the glitch and make it a feature.

Oh btw the game is 18 GB big, making it the biggest Nintendo game ever in terms of file size. 6 years. $70. 18 GB game. This game better do my taxes.

50 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Is it a fixed amount per encounter

At least when modern had time-limits, it should just be a fixed amount each battle.

Just now, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

@Saint Rubenio

Hide contents

K0fY0VV.png

Classic double standard.

I mean the emblems are fighting even after death, not exactly peaceful xD

They're not actually death, from what I recall.

5 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I mean the emblems are fighting even after death, not exactly peaceful xD

Spoiler

I mean the Emblems are like just copies anyways.

Sigurd's in a weird spot but he canonically is a ghost so...

No but seriously

What kind of a regular battle theme is this?

@Sooks You seeing this shit?

Also Osvald looking like the coolest man in the world and I already know I'm going to love him. First Cyrus, now this man... Sorcerers eat well in this series.

Big McSpankies from McThankies.

...Oh right awards cost money. Well, screw that then.

All right, Octopath demo time. @Sooks I summon thee, fellow Octopath enjoyer.

...Okay but why are the PC controls like, FPS controls? What sense does that make, Square?

Also, you can toggle the daytime on the character select screen and you get a different piece of artwork for night-time. Pretty extra, but Osvald looks even more badass in his night artwork, so okay.

Also also

Spoiler

RtUmKhpb_o.jpg

Comedy.

This probably makes Osvald objectively the worst starter, but as if that would ever stop me. What am I gonna do with my freedom anyway? Get Ochette? Pfft!

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This is why commas are so important.

Furries be like "N O"

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Could swear I've heard that in a FE hack.

...Or, wait... No, I've heard that on Youtube! Yeah, 100% sure now. It got in my recs while listening to Octopath music, funnily enough... Wait, but I could swear I remember it being a Bravely Default track? Am I losing my mind?

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Could swear I've heard that in a FE hack.

...Or, wait... No, I've heard that on Youtube! Yeah, 100% sure now. It got in my recs while listening to Octopath music, funnily enough... Wait, but I could swear I remember it being a Bravely Default track? Am I losing my mind?

The Last Promise?

I'm pretty sure I saw it being mentioned here a Baten Kaitos track got used in TLP... or was it just in a FE hack in general...?

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Or, wait... No, I've heard that on Youtube! Yeah, 100% sure now. It got in my recs while listening to Octopath music, funnily enough... Wait, but I could swear I remember it being a Bravely Default track? Am I losing my mind?

You probably heard the remixed version in Smash. Or maybe not.

Wait, if this ends up being true Alear will be teleported to an evil mirror universe where all of our allies will be enemies. So it’ll just ending being like…like…

…and yet the bizarro versions of the Sealab crew will in the end probably still be better villains then the Fell Xenologue ones. *Through gritted teeth* I can’t wait…

Edited by Sidereal Wraith

All right, beat Osvald's first chapter. Love this setting and concept, the first boss fight was pretty cool and the gameplay's pretty much just Octopath 1 with a few tweaks, which is fine by me because I liked Octopath 1.

Spoiler

It appears temporary party members are now a thing. A dude joins Osvald in his prison break, at least. Might be a unique thing, come to think of it - Osvald IS the only one who is stuck on his own until the halfway point of his campaign. He needs a friend!

I feel the volume levels need a bit of tweaking, voices are too quiet. But that's something I can do myself, and I enjoy the little interactions already. Dude goes "good one, Professor!" on a successful break, it's neat. I hope this guy doesn't die before the end of chapter 2, but somehow I feel his fate is sealed... Then again, there were multiple plot-critical NPCs in Octopath 1 who survived to reappear on the world map later and have quaint little sidequests. Perhaps it'll be the same for him? Perhaps?

Also, sorcerer's skills seem to have been redone. Instead of a boring list of more powerful spells, there's now some chaotic skills that appear to be quite fun. Still spending my first 30 SP on thunder though, gotta have control over weaknesses-- Wait, what even is the point, this is the demo...

Good first impressions so far. I don't think it would impress detractors of the original too much, it seems too samey to change anyone's mind (though one of the biggest complaints was the lack of story interactions between characters, and that seems to have been improved - though it's too early to tell), but it'll be good for Sooks and me.

EDIT: Oh, and I almost forgot! There's a fast-forward button in the game. Always a welcome addition in these slower kinds of games. It'll make random encounters more palatable.

Edited by Saint Rubenio