Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

3 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Another annoying thing about Tikal is that I won't always have access to internet as it is apparently only on for certain portions of the day.

Reminds me of what I heard about South Africa right now. The country has currently spent over 200 days with energy problems, people are now sent daily messages about what hours they'll be with/out electricity for. The country's power company went through like 16 CEOs last year.

• Replies 180.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

56 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Harry Potter was at it's best when it was doing whimsy stuff and the first three books imo are good Hero's Journey type shit.

Problem with Harry Potter is that it kinda falls apart when you think about it for more than two seconds. This becomes more apparent the later the series goes.

But the 4th book is the best one…

29 minutes ago, ping said:

Eh, I don't think the books hold up that well even if you substract the baggage of JKR being JKR. A lot of the stuff that Rowling threw in is cool or at least inconspicuous on the surface, but deeply fucked up if you take it seriously. Like, the entire wizard society is deeply racist against muggles - for example, mind-wiping them to protect wizard secrecy is kiiiinda unethical and betrays a "we're much more important than you" attitute - you have easily available rape drugs (love potions), let's not even get started with the whole slavery, wizard prison is literally a mind torture dungeon, the government has the authority to practically execute people without trial (the whole "Dementor's Kiss" in Prisonor of Askaban)...

...and our heroes bravely fight to protect the status quo. Harry even becomes a copper, joining the force that kept his godfather in said mind torture dungeon, on false charges, for years. As Armagon says, HP falls apart very quickly if you think about the most immediate implications of basically anything.

That’s great, except I read them when I was 10ish so I didn’t think about them very hard.

That’s not to say you’re wrong or anything, I hard distanced myself from them after I learned about Rowling. Keep posting, it’s interesting.

17 hours ago, Sooks said:

Busy? What could be more important than Castti?

Now that I think about it, you sure change your waifus quickly.

17 hours ago, Sooks said:

Anyway, if you commit to Ochette, you have to do Ochette -> Castti -> Throné -> Osvald -> Partitio -> Agnea -> Temenos -> Hikari. Be the chosen one, where I could not.

That's what I did in Octopath 1, actually. Though I don't remember if I just wanted to go in order or if Ophilia was my favorite...

13 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh hey, it's the furry loli.

But she's at least fifteen, I think...

13 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Besides, who needs that when you can react with Lindon's player card icon. Seriously, look it up, the face they made him do there is priceless.

Lindon accidentally starts a fire in Alear's room while trying to wake them up, truly he is a top tier character.

3 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

I guess Harry Potter is truly just a mid series and it was my fault for having expectations.

Just because some people treat it as their religion doesn't mean it's, like, great.

Read Percy Jackson while you're at it.

24 minutes ago, Armagon said:

My favorite part of HP world building isn't even from the books themselves, it was when Rowling was like "here are the other wizarding schools" and it's

Supposedly those are just the "major" schools, but it's still odd how Europe has three while a few continents only have one.

Another thing people don't talk about much nowadays is how being werewolf is apparently an allegory for having HIV, which is hmm...

2 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Now that I think about it, you sure change your waifus quickly.

It’s not my fault Cold Steel bad

That's what I did in Octopath 1, actually. Though I don't remember if I just wanted to go in order or if Ophilia was my favorite...

Me too, but I am weak and can’t do it again this time. Maybe. Probably.

Heroes of Olympus better

24 minutes ago, ping said:

Let's not forget about the excellent pronunciation guide [Mah - hoot - o - koh - ro]. And didn't Castelobruxo translate to "Castle wizard", i.e. not even "wizard castle", as uninspired as that name would've already been? JKR must've had a very English day when she came up with those schools.

Harry Potter names are so funny. I like the part where the killing spell is just "abra kedabra" but edgier. It's also super lame. You got a world of magic and the most dangerous spell is "it kills you".

22 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Yeah lets just shove half of the world population that lives in East Asia into one school, oh and all of the middle east including Turkey, Isreal, and Palestine in one school, that surely will be fine.

Only way they would even all fit inside them is if all these schools happened to be TARDISes.

Also I could be wrong but the North American school is apparently located in Salem. Yes, that Salem.

14 minutes ago, Sooks said:

That’s great, except I read them when I was 10ish so I didn’t think about them very hard.

Same.

12 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

TRUE!

25 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Heroes of Olympus better

I mean yes but that's the sequel series. It's better to read Percy Jackson first and then Heroes of Olympus. You can see Riordan's writing improve over the years.

Kane Chronicles is also very neat iirc but it's been a long, long time since I've read that trilogy.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Also I could be wrong but the North American school is apparently located in Salem. Yes, that Salem.

Same.

No, it's apparently atop Mount Greylock. Still in Massachusetts, but nowhere near Salem.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Alright good, cause I wouldn't have put it past Rowling.

I mean, Goblet of Fire does mentions a Salem Witches' Institute or something like that.

So... no, she still did it.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Missival vs Bencheron death battle

Missival has legitimate utility, primarily with lightning.

Boucheron... I am fond of Boucheron.

2 hours ago, BrightBow said:

He most definitely should have gotten Focus Chant.

Good thing he has a really solid niche as the game's best capture expert.

I do like the bit of gameplay-story integration in the fact that he's the only one of the three mages that doesn't get Focus Chant. Because compared to them, he sucks.

Doesn't make it any less annoying when he misses every single time you want him not to miss.

1 hour ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Now you may be thinking "Oh, a Three Houses session is typically 45 minutes for one chapter" And normally you'd be right but today my friends, I had to wake up at 4 in the morning just to catch a ride to Guatemalan city airport to catch a plan to Tikal, which is where I am now, and through that several hour long trip I've been playing bits of Crimson Flower

...And I haven't even beat the chapter yet.

Now that would usually mean I have an assortment of images taken from the game for me to make funny fun jokes and comments but unfortunately I didn't register that internet in dense Maya jungle is not so great and Imgur refuses to load any of the images so...you folks are spared for today.

Yes, I get to not snark at a videogame today.

...Oh wait, I've a Minimum Ranks update to write up.

Also as I'm writing this I'm outside eating lunch and I'm watching a bunch of tapirs run across the parking lot

Cute.

Tapirs are so cool. I wish I could see them run too.

That picture is a sight for sore travel-fatigued eyes.

Ghetsis:

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Problem with Harry Potter is that it kinda falls apart when you think about it for more than two seconds.

Yeah, even leaving aside the, y'know... stuff, the mental gymnastics one has to do to excuse the plethora of super basic fails are hilarious. Like say, the fact that the whole house system comes down to "the good guys, the bad guys, the irrelevant guys and the even more irrelevant guys".

My coworker told me that it's because the people that go on adventures are the brave ones, so of course it makes sense that Griffyndor would be the "main" house. Besides, there's a single relevant character per irrelevant house and a single Slytherin that gets redeemed (nobody ever remembers Slughorn), so it's totally balanced.

...I don't believe he had an argument for Hermione being a textbook Ravenclaw and still getting shoved in the good guys house with the rest of the good guys for absolutely no reason.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Just wait until you hear of Ruben's favorite place:

Antigua and Barbuda - Wikipedia

Y E ES

My favorite part of HP world building isn't even from the books themselves, it was when Rowling was like "here are the other wizarding schools" and it's

ESIIvaBWoAAHdhU.jpg_large.jpg

Yes, the entire continent of South America attends one school. The entire continent of North America attends one school. China, India and parts of Southeast Asia all attend one school, surely nothing will go wrong.

You can really tell how Rowling feels about her country just based on this one image lol

37 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

But she's at least fifteen, I think...

I heard somewhere that she's 20 lol

Doesn't change the fact that she's tiny and has the blob head all lolis do.

I will find a way to murder her.

37 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Lindon accidentally starts a fire in Alear's room while trying to wake them up, truly he is a top tier character.

Are you serious? This being Lindon I honestly can't tell, the man has zero control over himself when it comes to trying thunder on things.

Ah fuck me, this week's movie is Halloween.

Well, time to activate contingency plan. Plug in earbuds and close eyes, it'll be dark so they can't tell I'm doing this.

8 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I mean, Goblet of Fire does mentions a Salem Witches' Institute or something like that.

So... no, she still did it.

Ah yeah, there's the JK Rowling I know.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Like say, the fact that the whole house system comes down to "the good guys, the bad guys, the irrelevant guys and the even more irrelevant guys".

I liked how Gryffindor wins the House Cup only when the characters actually cared about that.

Just now, Armagon said:

I liked how Gryffindor wins the House Cup only when the characters actually cared about that.

Remember the first book, where Dumbledore blatantly plays favorites and it is portrayed as a triumphant moment? Remember also the fact that Slytherin and Griffyndor are the only ones who ever win despite Ravenclaw supposedly being the smart ones in a competition that rewards doing well in class?

I remember the books fondly enough, they're a fun romp, but the moment you start thinking it just... well, you start finding hundreds like this lol

It was only relevant for the whole "Slytherin's seventh win streak incoming... sike!"

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Remember the first book, where Dumbledore blatantly plays favorites and it is portrayed as a triumphant moment? Remember also the fact that Slytherin and Griffyndor are the only ones who ever win despite Ravenclaw supposedly being the smart ones in a competition that rewards doing well in class?

I remember the books fondly enough, they're a fun romp, but the moment you start thinking it just... well, you start finding hundreds like this lol

To be fair, Quidditch points also count. So when you have Seeker Harry...

It's telling how in the first book, Ravenclaw only managed to place 2nd (before the infamous last-minutes points) because they won against Gryffindor in the final match because Harry was unconscious.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I do like the bit of gameplay-story integration in the fact that he's the only one of the three mages that doesn't get Focus Chant. Because compared to them, he sucks.

Doesn't make it any less annoying when he misses every single time you want him not to miss.

But he is also the only one without a super orb and his class has the lowest caps.
Not like the latter really matters, because it's not like Aegina ever reaches 60 Wind, even with food bonuses.

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

The books are pretty good but are overpriced when the money is going to a transphobe.

Imagine buying books

Johnny Depp volta a dar vida a Jack Sparrow em 'Piratas do Caribe' - Portal  da Band

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

06 truly lives to contradict every popular opinion.

I'm not being a contrarian, it's just the movie I was the most entertained with. It has adventure and a good mystery. It deepens the world by inserting new elements and expanding what was already established in the previous film (Lucius, The Founders of Hogwarts, Tom Riddle, the first Horcrux, etc.). It's funny (thanks to Ron, who has more screentime here), but it's also darker than the first. The climax with the basilisk is the best yet. Hagrid, the best character, is finally appreciated. It's everything I want in a sequel.

Prisoner feels like filler, with little to no stakes and Goblet feels like it's missing something, kinda rushed. I'm mixed on it because I really like tournament arcs.

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

I wonder if he’ll likely Deathly Hallows Part 1 less or more.

Is the pacing good?

Now that we're at it, how do you rank every movie?

2 hours ago, Benice said:

Based.

Benice proving he has good taste again. How do you rank every movie (if you watched it, of course)?

Harry Potter was at it's best when it was doing whimsy stuff and the first three books imo are good Hero's Journey type shit.

I... have to agree with you for now. How do you rank every movie?

Problem with Harry Potter is that it kinda falls apart when you think about it for more than two seconds. This becomes more apparent the later the series goes.

The moment Prisoner introduced time travel to the franchise is where I thought the series jumped the shark.

Yes, the entire continent of South America attends one school.

I will never get over Castelobruxo.

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

Bugs Bunny's "No" | Know Your Meme

I have zero interest in Percy Jackson, and I'm just watching the HP movies because my brother is watching it too.

17 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, even leaving aside the, y'know... stuff, the mental gymnastics one has to do to excuse the plethora of super basic fails are hilarious. Like say, the fact that the whole house system comes down to "the good guys, the bad guys, the irrelevant guys and the even more irrelevant guys".

My coworker told me that it's because the people that go on adventures are the brave ones, so of course it makes sense that Griffyndor would be the "main" house. Besides, there's a single relevant character per irrelevant house and a single Slytherin that gets redeemed (nobody ever remembers Slughorn), so it's totally balanced.

...I don't believe he had an argument for Hermione being a textbook Ravenclaw and still getting shoved in the good guys house with the rest of the good guys for absolutely no reason.

Hermione should be a Ravenclaw, Ron Hufflepuff, and Draco a part of the main trio quartet

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Well, time to activate contingency plan. Plug in earbuds and close eyes, it'll be dark so they can't tell I'm doing this.

C'mon Armagon, that movie is good.

3 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

Hermione should be a Ravenclaw, Ron Hufflepuff, and Draco a part of the main trio quartet

Yep. It's actually baffling that this isn't the way it is, honestly. It makes the houses system fit so much more naturally in the narrative, with each of the main characters representing the strengths of each house. All coming together to form an unstoppable group. Alas...

Edited by Saint Rubenio

7 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

The moment Prisoner introduced time travel to the franchise is where I thought the series jumped the shark.

Amusingly enough even Rowling backpedaled on that one. Considering a certain thing she did in Order of the Phoenix.

... then The Cursed Child happened...

13 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

How do you rank every movie (if you watched it, of course)?

I liked 2>1>3, and then the rest were too scary for me...

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

Based.

46 minutes ago, Armagon said:

the most dangerous spell is "it kills you".

The most dangerous spell is literally a gun.

Yeah lets just shove half of the world population that lives in East Asia into one school, oh and all of the middle east including Turkey, Isreal, and Palestine in one school, that surely will be fine.

Good thing sub-Saharan Africa is just one culture with one language, so they'll do fine with just the one school as well.

Also wait why do Italy, Corsica and Greece specifically have no school-

36 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Remember the first book, where Dumbledore blatantly plays favorites and it is portrayed as a triumphant moment?

Philosopher's Stone is Wish Fullfillment For Ten Year Olds: The Book, so it's really just the logical conclusion. Harry gets bullied by Dudley, but then Hagrid bullies the bully! Vernan and what's-her-face are permanently angry and abrasive towards Harry, but then Hagrid is angry and abrasive towards them! Dudley goes to the good school and Harry to the bad school, but now Harry goes to the most awesomest school of them all!

But it's not like there's nothing good about HP:

And of course:

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

It’s not my fault Cold Steel bad

I will explain to you why you're wrong... eventually. Wait, does this mean Timerra bad too?

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Heroes of Olympus better

I consider them the same series, more or less.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Are you serious? This being Lindon I honestly can't tell, the man has zero control over himself when it comes to trying thunder on things.

It is the truth, though I'm guessing you never rested because you didn't want to risk being woken up by a little girl.

It's probably not that scary by modern standards. Two and a half years ago I went to a drive-in movie showing Friday the 13th... I played Super Mario Sunshine the whole time, granted.

57 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

I have zero interest in Percy Jackson, and I'm just watching the HP movies because my brother is watching it too.

Incidentally I did the same thing last year. Just don't ask me to rank them.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It was only relevant for the whole "Slytherin's seventh win streak incoming... sike!"

Gryffindor won again in the second book but after that, nobody gave a shit about the House Cup anymore.

I will say this tho, Hogwarts the school did progressively get less important as the series went. I like that.

1 hour ago, Newtype06 said:

How do you rank every movie?

Uhhhhhh it's been years so I couldn't tell you.

that movie is good.

Take a shot every time they play the theme song, you'll be dead before the 20 minute mark.

have zero interest in Percy Jackson

Another unbased moment from 06.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

Also wait why do Italy, Corsica and Greece specifically have no school-

JK Rowling hates Italians, Corsicans  and Greeks specifically.

21 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

It's probably not that scary by modern standards.

Halloween wasn't scary, it was just boring ngl.

Gryffindor won again in the second book but after that, nobody gave a shit about the House Cup anymore.

They also won in the third book. But the relevancy had indeed died down.

You could tell when in the second book, Dumbledore just outright grants Harry and Ron 400 points because of the whole "went into the Chamber". And in the third book, it was the Quidditch Cup that got the priority. And because those points are also House Points, they won the House Cup by proxy.

Edited by Acacia Sgt