Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

3 hours ago, Sooks said:

I got the boat and spent a million years trying to decide what cosmetic options to give it. Nice. It looks like you can get it changed, although it costs a ton of money for no good reason.

What’s disappointing is that the ocean has random encounters and they’re like, endgame level, which severely limits exploration for the time being since my party can just be decimated. It’s funny that the first area you can go to in the ocean is very blatantly Partitio’s last chapter’s location, they’re not even trying to hide it.

Is the roqman there lol

Oh wait, I just got it. It's the one place that's literally called "somethingbank", right? They namedropped it in Castti 2.

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

That information… really shouldn’t be missable and should be in her chapter 1 but okay.

Well, go figure.

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

@Saint Rubenio Remember how this chapter has a recommended level of 7? There’s… no gameplay. Not a single time you go anywhere with random encounters or have to fight anyone. Which begs the question why they put a recommended level at all just to make players feel like they were overleveled. I guess the level comes from the fact that you can head straight there out of Throné’s chapter 1 without having to worry about fighting anything and just enjoy your VN, but it still feels weird.

Anyway, the story itself was surprising. It was arguably darker than her first chapter, Primrose wishes this were her. And the use of Throné’s theme was really good. There’s one plot point added in at the very end that seems pointless, so we’ll see where that goes.

...Oh.

lol

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Dancer Castti has a pretty outfit and a flower in her hair, but she lets down her hair in the merchant and scholar subjobs… which one to pick….. uh, for objective statistical gameplay benefit, obviously.

I made her a warrior.

55 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

You, it might be a thing with how Steam keeps track of it, but there's something amusing that the achievement scores for

Hide contents

Defeating Jawsum and Pluto Expanded

... do not actually match.

People really do be deciding to quit the game in between two boss fights.

13 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Temenos 2 was very interesting. I’m a lot more sold on the mystery now. I also figured out where it was going 2 seconds before Temenos did, so I’m basically a certified genius. There is something kinda suspicious here that the game hasn’t mentioned, tho…

Oooh, do tell, do tell! I've already been through that, of course, and I'd like to hear what your theories are.

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

People really do be deciding to quit the game in between two boss fights.

I guess they got intimidated. XD

Still , gotta admit, Kel Nuke strat too OP. No wonder it got nerfed in the console version.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

3 hours ago, joevar said:

having set of rules is good, but dont go saying one thing then rebuke it in the next minute for the sake of cool/shock factor. (cant revive > suddenly revive twice in just one chapter, not want to waste anymore time with elyos > spend years on elyos again in bad ending,

Ok but consider 

20230304_151409.jpg

2 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Somehow OoT 3D was the first Zelda game I played, despite playing Nintendo consoles for a decade before it released. Maybe I vicariously experienced Zelda through my friends before then?

It's possible.

Then again OoT is a pretty easy "first Zelda game".

Well, the side quest happened. The banter between Temenos and Throné was cool, as was a little flashback.

17 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Is the roqman there lol

Oh wait, I just got it. It's the one place that's literally called "somethingbank", right? They namedropped it in Castti 2.

Your first guess was way closer lmao.

Are you talking about Clockbank? Yeah, that one’s a little on the nose, but the map says it’s Partitio’s chapter 2. If you want to know the actual name of the place…

Spoiler

It’s called Roque Island.

I made her a warrior.

That is probably her best option, yes. But look at that hair!

Incidentally, I have Ochette as a warrior at the moment.

Oooh, do tell, do tell! I've already been through that, of course, and I'd like to hear what your theories are.

Huh, you have? What chapters have you done?

Anyway, all I’m saying is…

Spoiler

It’s quite suspicious that Crick was assigned to the town where the first murder took place, and then happened to be reassigned to the town where the next two happened.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Your first guess was way closer lmao.

Are you talking about Clockbank? Yeah, that one’s a little on the nose, but the map says it’s Partitio’s chapter 2.

Oh. Well, I completely missed that haha.

If you want to know the actual name of the place…

Reveal hidden contents

It’s called Roque Island.

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft

Okay, that's actually fucking amazing.

Now imagine it's not actually his chapter 4 location

That is probably her best option, yes. But look at that hair!

Short hair is better sometimes.

Huh, you have? What chapters have you done?

Chapters 2 of Temenos, Castti whitebloom, Throné Daddy and Osvald (well I guess in his case it's chapter 3).

Anyway, all I’m saying is…

Hide contents

It’s quite suspicious that Crick was assigned to the town where the first murder took place, and then happened to be reassigned to the town where the next two happened.

Spoiler

Ain't that the truth.

I said this before, but now that you can open boxes, I'll say it again: I'm super worried for Crick. These Vide worshippers are murdering people based on the gods, and it's 100% not going to end with Vados. I fear Crick's gonna make a fine Brand the Thunderblade... They even had that bit of eerie maybe-foreshadowing in chapter 1 where he proudly refers to himself as Godsblade. Blade of the gods, and perhaps murdered for it.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

Narrative weight is still a thing. Engage's writing is overall fine because it did what it set out to do. It was always meant to be a vehicle for the gameplay. 

This doesn't mean you can't criticize it but criticizing it for not being grander is not really the play.

This is like saying the KH plotline is "fine" cause its what the devs "wanted". Xd

3 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

This is like saying the KH plotline is "fine" cause its what the devs "wanted". Xd

KH1 is fine. After that idk what's even going on their minds lol.

Kingdom Hearts definitely takes itself way more seriously tho so criticizing it is more natural.

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Short hair is better sometimes.

No, which is why I wanna go Scholar Castti. Or go halfway with Dancer Castti.

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hide contents

Ain't that the truth.

I said this before, but now that you can open boxes, I'll say it again: I'm super worried for Crick. These Vide worshippers are murdering people based on the gods, and it's 100% not going to end with Vados. I fear Crick's gonna make a fine Brand the Thunderblade... They even had that bit of eerie maybe-foreshadowing in chapter 1 where he proudly refers to himself as Godsblade. Blade of the gods, and perhaps murdered for it.

Spoiler

That’s not what I meant about Crick…

I was actually thinking about the captain lady as far as that role is concerned, since she makes a direct reference to Brand the Thunderblade in chapter 2.

Made a new Octopath team.

Spoiler

f6wZC2XF_o.jpg

Partitio is woefully underleveled and I don't know how I can get him to catch up with this leveling system, but... Eh. I like the guy, so on he goes.

Incidentally, since he's here now, I did a scent of commerce thingy. I have now unlocked lore books, which I will probably handle how I tend to handle lore books in these kinds of games: I say "I have them now, I'll read them down the line" and then I never do.

18 minutes ago, Sooks said:
  Hide contents

That’s not what I meant about Crick…

I was actually thinking about the captain lady as far as that role is concerned, since she makes a direct reference to Brand the Thunderblade in chapter 2.

Spoiler

I know it's not what you meant, but it is what I'm thinking. It definitely seems like at least some sacred guard higher ups know more than they let on. Could be the greenhorn's being sent everywhere murders take place so he'll be in the right place to be next... I suppose we'll see.

Another chapter without a boss fight? Huh…

20 minutes ago, Sooks said:

The lady you have to provoke for Ochette’s Cateracta chapter 2’s boobs move up and down in battle. Well… okay then.

I mean, unless she was supposed to be the boss, since she did have a boss sprite. But then, she didn’t get boss music, and she died 2 turns!

Anyway, part of Ochette 2 done. It took an interesting turn, if nothing else.

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Made a new Octopath team.

Hide contents

f6wZC2XF_o.jpg

Oh my god Thronè’s outfit.

And hey, you did my suggestion! Now switch Partito and Castti’s jobs.

Incidentally, since he's here now, I did a scent of commerce thingy. I have now unlocked lore books, which I will probably handle how I tend to handle lore books in these kinds of games: I say "I have them now, I'll read them down the line" and then I never do.

Ah yeah, that one. I probably won’t read them. You should do his winterbloom one tho, it unlocks the best item in the game.

Hide contents

I know it's not what you meant, but it is what I'm thinking. It definitely seems like at least some sacred guard higher ups know more than they let on. Could be the greenhorn's being sent everywhere murders take place so he'll be in the right place to be next... I suppose we'll see.

Spoiler

Trust no one, Ruben. It’s Crick.

Castti 2 Sai is way better than Winterbloom.

Spoiler

Well, there was one nice perk to doing Winterbloom first. I was able to go "heeey that's the one guy from the Winterbloom path!" at one of the nondescript Eir's Apothecaries in the first flashback. Interesting that Castti was apparently the "chief" of the apothecaries... Little by little, mysteries are unveiled.

As for the chapter itself, it was enjoyable. Edmund's face-heel turn felt rushed, but that tends to happen with these small chapters. At least it was a fun development, much more than Winterbloom's equivalent face-heel, which was profoundly asinine. The flashback was also a lot more interesting, and it actually gives me a location to go to. I found this abandoned village ages ago, ran into it right after leaving Osvald's starting location! Too bad the identity of the plague doctor is so obvious. Thanks, voice acting.

To compensate, however, being overleveled means the boss wasn't as much fun. Yeah, this has to be the biggest flaw with the game so far. They really needed to just make chapters escalate to your level.

Might as well get Partitio's chapter 2 out of the way. Same old same old, I'm massively overleveled and likely won't have any challenge here. Oh well.

16 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Another chapter without a boss fight? Huh…

How common even are these?

I mean, unless she was supposed to be the boss, since she did have a boss sprite.

Nah, I've already seen a few like those. It tends to happen for people on whom you must use path actions that lead to combat. They have more elaborate sprites, but they're not bosses.

Also on the quoted detail, that's very Japan indeed. 10 Japans / Japan.

Oh my god Thronè’s outfit.

She looks so fucking good as a cleric.

And hey, you did my suggestion!

Did I? Oh yeah, switching Temmy out for Parti lol. I'll probably switch him back in at some point. His is a story I want to continue.

Now switch Partito and Castti’s jobs.

lol no. Partitio's little hat is too priceless to be switched out. If I cared for anything else, I wouldn't have made him Osvald But Worse in the first place!

Ah yeah, that one. I probably won’t read them. You should do his winterbloom one tho, it unlocks the best item in the game.

Hide contents

Trust no one, Ruben. It’s Crick.

Spoiler

Plot twist: Temenos did it. He's the true villain.

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Battle theme at the oasis is cool.

Yeah, it's one of the best, to be sure.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

KH1 is fine. After that idk what's even going on their minds lol.

Kingdom Hearts definitely takes itself way more seriously tho so criticizing it is more natural.

KH1 does not define the entire series. 

And that doesnt male it immune to critique either, like any other series/game, the story elements being perceieved (X) way is totally on the viewer.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Ok but consider 

20230304_151409.jpg

Fine, engage didnt take itself too seriously unlike 3houses afterall. 

bringing dragomball is unfair. Powerups is like the hidden sub title of dragonball XD . But even dragonball power up has buildups... most the the time. Naruto bleach one poece power ups also feels satisfying. Engage just feel cheesy at best

And if you ever think that i hate power ups, you're sorely mistaken. Even game that i replayed now is basically one big "power trip" story with multiple power up against the BBEG, despite having serious tone. Easily one of the best even

Edited by joevar

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Castti 2 Sai is way better than Winterbloom.

That’s good, because I’m probably gonna do it first.

I have four characters that, if I manage their exp slowly, are below the recommended levels right now: Osvald, Ochette, Throné and Temenos. So I’ve been using them the most, being careful to avoid random encounters. Castti is insanely overleveled but her best use I’ve found stats don’t matter for, so she hasn’t been obliterating bosses or anything. The other three characters’ stories are gonna be rough tho… but anyway, because of these characters’ levels, I’ve been playing the chapters in order of ascending recommended level with them.

Might as well get Partitio's chapter 2 out of the way. Same old same old, I'm massively overleveled and likely won't have any challenge here. Oh well.

Bad ending: Partitio saves capitalism by pulling himself up by his bootstraps and grinding Caits for 15 hours.

How common even are these?

So far it’s been Osvald 2, and one of the 2s for Ochette and Throné. All of them are in some way paired with another chapter (the first one is the second half of a mandatory back to back two parter and the other two are pretty short and seem to serve as individual pieces of a broader chapter).

Nah, I've already seen a few like those. It tends to happen for people on whom you must use path actions that lead to combat. They have more elaborate sprites, but they're not bosses.

Yeah, she was way too easy, anyway.

Also on the quoted detail, that's very Japan indeed. 10 Japans / Japan.

It was just so incredibly random. Like there’s the way her over the top “boss” sprite shifts in battle, and then there’s her boobs flopping up and down at 2x the speed while she’s standing still. Honestly, I think she needs to see a doctor, I do know a great amnesiac apothecary…

She looks so fucking good as a cleric.

Yes.

Sorry Hikari. Might I persuade you to become an Appthecary?

Did I? Oh yeah, switching Temmy out for Parti lol. I'll probably switch him back in at some point. His is a story I want to continue.

Now that I’ve done his chapter 2, I’m definitely more interesting in Temenos’ story. Too bad you can’t switch out Osvald.

lol no. Partitio's little hat is too priceless to be switched out. If I cared for anything else, I wouldn't have made him Osvald But Worse in the first place!

Long hair Castti… well, I’ll get her the scholar job at some point.

Hide contents

Plot twist: Temenos did it. He's the true villain.

That’s what they want you to think. It was actually Aelfric. He was upset with his role as the “good god” and wants to go for a shot at actually being revived at the end of the game until a group of teenagers beat him up.

Edited by Sooks

Hahahah! Partitio's chapter 2 is funny.

Spoiler

Roque is now even dressed like the CEO of Capitalism. This entire thing really feels like Baby's First Capitalism Criticism. You've got an evil company man threatening to break a child's kneecaps because he couldn't pay extra taxes, when everyone knows he'd instead be kidnapping the kid for a sweatshop. Then that same guy uses patent laws to steal an ultra kindhearted and idealistic young man's invention so he can give it to Capitaloque so he can become even more millionaire. And then when Partitio comes around to give a rousing speech, he literally releases the hounds on him.

Amazing. It's so on-the-nose it becomes entertaining. And now I have to make eighty billion leaves before the end of Partitio's story, so I can give them to Roque for him to solve his entire remaining life and never have to move another finger ever again. That's victory, I guess. Apparently there's another wealthy guy across the ocean that could provide the sum. Let me guess, we're going to convince him to be a good uber-rich person and help us with our idealistic nonsense, huh.

This is so fucking silly.

Incidentally, it looks like the game understands that it sucks having to get an NPC for a main objective and lose your current companion, because the former companion is stated to return after the mandatory one's role is finished. That's very nice!

I could do Osvald and Partitio's shared sidequest next. Maybe I'll see about it tomorrow. I'm curious to see what common ground these two wildly different characters could find.

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

That’s good, because I’m probably gonna do it first.

I have four characters that, if I manage their exp slowly, are below the recommended levels right now: Osvald, Ochette, Throné and Temenos. So I’ve been using them the most, being careful to avoid random encounters. Castti is insanely overleveled but her best use I’ve found stats don’t matter for, so she hasn’t been obliterating bosses or anything. The other three characters’ stories are gonna be rough tho… but anyway, because of these characters’ levels, I’ve been playing the chapters in order of ascending recommended level with them.

I think I'm just gonna power on through and pray the issue fixes itself when I get to chapter 3s.

Bad ending: Partitio saves capitalism by pulling himself up by his bootstraps and grinding Caits for 15 hours.

Partitio becomes the 1% again

It was just so incredibly random. Like there’s the way her over the top “boss” sprite shifts in battle, and then there’s her boobs flopping up and down at 2x the speed while she’s standing still.

J

A

P

A

N

Now that I’ve done his chapter 2, I’m definitely more interesting in Temenos’ story. Too bad you can’t switch out Osvald.

As if I would.

...actually, I would. Protagonist irremediably becoming horrendously overleveled is part of what makes the level balance complete wack. I definitely would want to have Osvald sit some chapters out to maintain a semblance of difficulty.

That’s what they want you to think. It was actually Aelfric. He was upset with his role as the “good god” and wants to go for a shot at actually being revived at the end of the game until a group of teenagers beat him up.

He was Athos.

He wanted to become Garon.

Rebellions, Sooks.