Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

6 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

The game is very explicit about Alm not thinking beyond his battles repeatedly.

Yet he never gets punished for it, and the whole family shtick is a flimsy thing at best, since he wasn't the one to start the war. Infact, Alm is proven right every time.

7 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

they are about the same as Mark (who only adds a birth month to that), a character who has been uncontested as an Avatar for a long time.

Mark has no character, Alear is a set character. That's a big difference.

8 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Tutorializing UI describes Alear as you

Tutorials usually speak to the player, not to the MC. They are suppossed to help the player, and the "you" there never refer to Alear

8 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

uniquely having us see the world through Alear's eyes,

PoV does not an Avatar make

• Replies 179.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

9 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

And in what way is Alear different?

None

They can be named and their gender can be changed. And occassionally the game calls them "you" and lets you see through their eyes in a first person view, but not always.

That's... literally it. That's what I'm saying, there are a few little things that indicate to a half-hearted attempt at making them an avatar, but they clearly didn't try very hard. At that point, might as well have dispensed with the pretense and let the voice actors say "Alear." Would've been for the best, if you ask me.

9 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Yes, this i agree with. The Tacticians are more avatar-ish than anything else, as they are close to our role as the player.

But they have their own character and aren't us, but it's the closest

more like to how much the game falls over their head to make that character always clean and feel good, and never wrong - and Alm is the worst case of that in the series.

So none of them

and the most jarring and universe breaking because of it.

Eyup. We're not disagreeing on any point here.

Holy fuck the dropoff from Hard to Normal is insane.

For the sake of speed, i will finish it on this. And probably any future runs so i can get the characters onto the main game ASAP.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

For the sake of speed, i will finish it on this. And probably any future runs so i can get the characters onto the main game ASAP.

Don't worry, Xenologue 5 makes up for it, mwahahahahahaha.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I'm not sure how advisable that is, actually. From what I've read, the characters come at set levels that are very much not appropriate for the earliest unlock time. Basically, it's like getting folks like Pandreo, Goldmary and Rosado in chapter 6.

...I know, super bizarre design choice for a group of DLC characters. Honestly, this DLC campaign just seems so weird in general.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'm not sure how advisable that is, actually. From what I've read, the characters come at set levels that are very much not appropriate for the earliest unlock time. Basically, it's like getting folks like Pandreo, Goldmary and Rosado in chapter 6.

...I know, super bizarre design choice for a group of DLC characters. Honestly, this DLC campaign just seems so weird in general.

ASAP as in do the DLC as fast as possible. I wouldn't be doing it frame 1.

27 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

looooooooooool

This reminds me of the time I went on the wikia article for Meme Man's join chapter in Radiant Dawn, and found an angry rant over the mage reinforcement carrying meteor. It has since been edited to just indicate that there's a guy with meteor that appears as a reinforcement, sadly.

Reminds me of an ancient little journalism story in Germany where somebody edited an extra name into the then-new minister for economic's wikipedia article, which was then copied by numerous newspapers and magazins.

7 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

3A7uGuW.png

*shipping googles on*

Hey, I was reading this manga! The premise is pretty cool and good.

5 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Yet he never gets punished for it, and the whole family shtick is a flimsy thing at best,

The unintended murder of a family member has literally been describe as the greatest of tragedies since the times of ancient Greece. How much worse were you expecting him to be punished?

11 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Alm is proven right every time.

Is he? Often he is only proven right if you play the battles perfectly to make him right. Even then, is he right about Nuibaba having Celica captured? Is he right to murder the blackmailed Zeke instead? Was he right to pointlessly murder his own father when his final path would be the one laid out by the man? Was he right to try and prevent Celica's act of willing self-sacrifice, when it was the only way to convince Mila to release the Falchion?

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Xenolouge 5 looks like a map of all time.

It has its trick. Don't open unless you want to...

Spoiler

I had Nel Warp Ragnarok away. Then had everybody stick to the little room west of Alear. Used Soren!Ivy and Ike!Diamant to murder everything coming into the bottleneck that was the narrow hallway south of Alear. Then once Nil came, I took advantage only he and one other enemy could attack me. Due to Nil's absurdly high Res, it's best to bring lots of Physical Emblems. Tiki is a good one. Céline could shave of 17 HP with the smashing attack, for example. Exploit backup attacks.

Added a bit more.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

5 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

But by this mentality Milla Maxwell from ToX is an Abatar cause they refer to her as "you". Haha

Well, I never claimed it's an exact science. It's not any one specific thing, it's a combination of details intended to make the player character feel like a player stand-in.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

People refer to us as "You". Are we all Avatars in the game that is Real Life?

Yes. We are all avatars. We are all blue.

58 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's what I'm saying, there are a few little things that indicate to a half-hearted attempt at making them an avatar, but they clearly didn't try very hard.

So not an avatar and the mechanics only backed in cuz popularity.

34 minutes ago, FlyingKitsune said:

Hey, I was reading this manga! The premise is pretty cool and good.

Ikr 😄

32 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

How much worse were you expecting him to be punished?

By losing someone actually important to him? And not "Oh no we were family all along"

my reaction is "All right move on"

Often he is only proven right if you play the battles perfectly to make him right

Ah so player inserting

Even then, is he right about Nuibaba having Celica captured?

How is that on Alm?

s he right to murder the blackmailed Zeke instead? Was he right to pointlessly murder his own father when his final path would be the one laid out by the man? Was he right to try and prevent Celica's act of willing self-sacrifice, when it was the only way to convince Mila to release the Falchion?

yes. None of that is him and infact the game bends over to not make him do anything wrong.

It's not like his "family" deserved any better

12 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

But by this mentality Milla Maxwell from ToX is an Abatar cause they refer to her as "you". Haha

By that almost every MC is an avatar tbh

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yes. We are all avatars. We are all blue.

What if I wanna become red?

4 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

So not an avatar and the mechanics only backed in cuz popularity.

Pretty much, yes.

3 minutes ago, FlyingKitsune said:

What if I wanna become red?

well-then-your-are-lost-you-are-lost.gif

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

OKQLIiB.png

Ike an avatar confirmed

It was only one part of it, one

Plus Ike is nowhere in this scene so she's actually breaking the 4th wall, checkmate atheists