• Armagon

dwa3d0nj1h9b1.jpg?auto=webp&v=enabled&s=

Let's

fucking

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Care to explain?🤓

Nothing interesting, just a classic game didn't sell story afaik

And unlike games who are liked later, this one never got particularly liked, even if it has some fans

..Now this, Aprilis and Rough Draft Dana already felt like disappointments to me.

Aprilis is a queen compared to Liz

And you know what i think of Aprilis xD

Maybe I'll slip it in soon then. Been annoying me, sitting in the unplayed section of my Steam library

I will give you some motivation then:

It has some of the best Adol dialogue options in the series XD

Also you get to know Adol, including smoldol

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

his will entirely depend on if i vibe with the Bump System or not. I'll have to try it out. If i don't vibe with it, i'll end up having to skip those two titles.

I think you won't vibe with 1s, but 2s combat is really cool with the addition of magic. Has also cool bosses unlike the kinda bullshit ones of 1 lol

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

All i know is that whatever happened to Ys 9 caused it's placement in the canon to be dubious. Until a remake happens, nobody knows for sure.

Yeah apparently some reveals in 9 contradict 5 or something. So we really really need 5 remake.

But it seems Falcom is hesitating on remaking their black sheep

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

If I had to invent a subtitle, maybe "The Tribes of Altago", that seems appropriate.

Hmm

Was about to suggest a "Maiden's Tears" but that's just Lacrimosa of Dana again lol

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Why not both? The Greeks and Romans would add must -fresh unfermented grape juice- to their wine,

Actually, that's what I mean when I say grape juice, must. I had no idea there was actually a word for it in English, I was convinced grape juice was it. That adds up though, in Spanish we call it mosto. I like red must the most, it tastes great and people think I'm drinking wine, but it's kinda uncommon to find red must in bars, so sometimes I have to settle for the piss must.

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

Crystal Skull hate has always been overblown. People's issues with it are "but the fridge" and "but aliens" and that's it. And the CGI too maybe.

Is it as good as Raiders and Last Crusade? No. But it's still good. It's not like the Prequels where it puts me in a coma.

I remember the one I liked most was Crusade because I enjoyed his dynamic with his dad most. And Brody was funny. Pretty much the only movie where he actually does anything noteworthy, which is interesting because from what I can tell, he's often thought of as one of the "main" recurring characters even though in Temple he doesn't exist and in Raiders he might as well not exist either. Heck, he does more in Crystal Skull - where he's dead.

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

It's also because this

20230701_201140.jpg

Imagine being the richest man in the world (or second, at least? Didn't he get beat a while ago? Still assuredly on the top 10) and wanting to weasel away from paying your internet bill. I mean, sure, it's a 1 billion bill, but doesn't he have like, dozens of those that he'll never have time to use before he dies?

9 hours ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Some of us here in the States that are of varying degrees of the “redneck” persuasion use “grape juice” as slang for wine

I mean, wine is grape juice, at the end of the day.

9 hours ago, Capt. Fargus said:

I dont drink it myself. If it aint my occasional beer I need something stronger

I've tried beer before. Could never get into it. I don't know what piss tastes like, but I'm pretty sure it must be something along those lines. Then again, I'm the kind of bore that doesn't drink a drop of alcohol just in general, so.

8 hours ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Ghosts n Goblins for the NES. THAT was demoralizing brutality

Never could get the good ending in that one, Running through that mess once in one sitting was quite enough

I've played the Spanish version, myself. I actually ended up getting good enough to beat it without using continues, obtaining the best ending and becoming a true Spaniard.

7 hours ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Is that a NDS game? 

Some of those got this “stylus” thing that you need. There’s a Ninja Gaiden game for that system that I dunno if is even possible to play on a emulator because of that

Emulators can handle stylus shenanigans, but well, without a more exotic set-up you have to do them with the mouse. It's not fun. Then again, these things never were fun, even in the original hardware.

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I am now a wizard.

Well, good night!

Congratulations on becoming too old to be an anime hero! It's not a bad thing, it means your father will live a long and happy life.

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I am now a wizard.

Well, good night!

Happy birthday!

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Then again, I'm the kind of bore that doesn't drink a drop of alcohol just in general, so.

Samesies

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I don't know what piss tastes like, but I'm pretty sure it must be something along those lines.

And the smell man. Ew

5 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I am now a wizard.

Well, good night!

Happy birthday!🎂

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Samesies

And I'm a fellow teetotaler.

The US generally consumes less alcohol than Europe though, yet even in Europe consumption has declined from a century ago. It isn't entirely the result of the immigration of Muslims and other non-drinkers to the continent, people just don't imbibe like they used to. The southern French tradition of "table wine" isn't as strong anymore; people only drink when they want to, not when they have to/their culture demands it. However, people are drinking better quality stuff than at any other point in human history.

I've never watched an LP for that game, I think I need to correct that when I'm bored.😄 Curious how difficult this infamous game is. Maybe b/c the player I'd be watching would be a expert at the game so they'd make it look easy, but then, watching a playthrough of Battletoads, I could feel how the Turbo Tunnel would go down in history as one of the nefarious levels in all of video games. 

The original Ninja Gaiden was no slouch either. Those stupid eagles can drive you batty, but GnG was the worst with those damn red devil Firebrand guys who deserve to rot in the 9th level of Hell for all eternity 🤬

BRUHHHHH THE GOLLUM GAME PUT THE DEVS OUT OF BUSINESS, THEY'RE JUST GONNA BE A PUBLISHER FROM NOW ON! IT WAS THAT BAD!

Sucks for all the devs man.

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Rather than invent an awesome woman for him, the French preferred to just make him so handsome that the lovely Guinevere would cheat on her English husband.

Truly the big brain play huh.

Thanks for the history lesson there.

9 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

I really wish Linebeck became a recurring character in the series in the same vain as Beetle or Tingle. Like could you imagine him in Breath of the Wild doing whatever.

I think outside of the big three+Impa, any character that has a major story role isn't gonna show up past their game.

That said, an older Linebeck could've appeared in Spirit Tracks. One of Tetra's pirate friends is in that game, but old.

6 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I am now a wizard.

Well, good night!

Happy birthday, enjoy your new powers.

3 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Yeah apparently some reveals in 9 contradict 5 or something. So we really really need 5 remake.

I just realized I said "whatever happened in Ys 9" and not "Ys 5" but the point does stand regardless.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Heck, he does more in Crystal Skull - where he's dead.

He was actually going to be in it but uh.....he died. The actor I mean.

remember the one I liked most was Crusade because I enjoyed his dynamic with his dad most

I agree with you here.

mean, sure, it's a 1 billion bill, but doesn't he have like, dozens of those that he'll never have time to use before he dies?

Rich people like spending money on frivolous things but not on bills.

I mean nobody likes paying the bills. But if I was rich, I sure as hell wouldn't be worrying about it.

Emulators can handle stylus shenanigans, but well, without a more exotic set-up you have to do them with the mouse. It's not fun. Then again, these things never were fun, even in the original hardware.

And the DS Zelda games are entirely controlled via the touch screen. Moving, using items, attacking. I'm good.

Thanks, everyone!

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Rather than invent an awesome woman for him, the French preferred to just make him so handsome that the lovely Guinevere would cheat on her English husband.

Methinks the Arthur mythos are a bit too old for the English to exist yet, heh.

I think the most accepted sources is that he'd be proto-Welsh, or Romano-Briton.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Actually, you know what? It actually got kinda under my skin that I was right there to watch the new Indy and I couldn't do it because my friends believed they'd get bored. This is like, the one movie series that I've actually watched in its entirety, and I had some genuine love for it at one point of my childhood. Emperor's Tomb will forever be the best Indy in my heart, but I might as well indulge in some nostalgia for once.

Fuck it. I'm going back there today and watching that thing. It'll be my yearly movie yet.

53 minutes ago, Armagon said:

BRUHHHHH THE GOLLUM GAME PUT THE DEVS OUT OF BUSINESS, THEY'RE JUST GONNA BE A PUBLISHER FROM NOW ON! IT WAS THAT BAD!

Sucks for all the devs man.

cover7.jpg

They had a history of point-and-click games before they were hired to make this monstrosity. From what I've gathered, it's the typical idea. They were hired to brave something they had no experience with, then pushed to fulfill impossible deadlines, and then they were thrown under the bus once everyone hated it. And now they're dead and buried, the company I mean.

I've not really followed the game's history thoroughly, though, so don't take my word for it - I really just watched Vinesauce's two-parter on it. Kinda hope for a three-parter, the game has some serious bad game charm.

54 minutes ago, Armagon said:

He was actually going to be in it but uh.....he died. The actor I mean.

No yeah, I know that, but the little moment where the bad guys drive into his statue and its head drops on them is actually more substantial than his entire role in Raiders lol

...Or maybe I'm just saying that because it's one of my favorite moments from Crystal Skull. It's goofy and kind of macabre as far as tributes go, but Indy's reaction was great.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I agree with you here.

Actually, it's one of the reasons I'm curious to see this movie. I'm wondering if Indy and the new girl have a sort of pseudo-role reversal where he's like his dad was with him in Crusade. I know it's probably not quite like that, but still.

55 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Rich people like spending money on frivolous things but not on bills.

But like, he's just being omega dumb here. Keeping Twitter going strong would reinburse his little billion eventually. He's actually just running the place down to the ground because he's too lazy and stupid to manage it properly. Why'd he even buy it?

55 minutes ago, Armagon said:

And the DS Zelda games are entirely controlled via the touch screen. Moving, using items, attacking. I'm good.

Yikes.

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

No yeah, I know that, but the little moment where the bad guys drive into his statue and its head drops on them is actually more substantial than his entire role in Raiders lol

...Or maybe I'm just saying that because it's one of my favorite moments from Crystal Skull. It's goofy and kind of macabre as far as tributes go, but Indy's reaction was great.

Now I'm reminded Indy's dad was also meant to appear, but Sean Connery refused.

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

But like, he's just being omega dumb here. Keeping Twitter going strong would reinburse his little billion eventually. He's actually just running the place down to the ground because he's too lazy and stupid to manage it properly. Why'd he even buy it?

To ruin it, I guess? When you consider how much effort he puts to silence anything he doesn't like that's being voiced in there...

The girl looks familiar... I think I might've seen that one before...

Or just randomly pictures while Internet browsing...

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Methinks the Arthur mythos are a bit too old for the English to exist yet, heh.

I think the most accepted sources is that he'd be proto-Welsh, or Romano-Briton.

Okay okay! I misspoke.😅 Pretend I wrote "mythological figure with some possible kernel of real existence/inspiration, whom the English claimed as one of their own in spirit if not in literal ethnicity". That better? And yes, I know Arthur's first mentions are in Welsh sources, from Wales it went to England, and then to the rest of Europe later.

Thanks for the history lesson there.

You're welcome! You know I don't mind blabbing like this.😆

Truly the big brain play huh.

Imagine Shounen Anime Season 2 where the New Lead Guy steals Season 1 Lead's waifu, and all the story attention too.😛

In some versions, the affair, once Arthur discovers it, leads to war between Arthur and Lancelot, beginning the end of glorious Camelot.

-Although the one who kills Arthur is often Mordred, who is usually Arthur's son. Not born of Guinevere, but of Arthur's sister in an act of accidental incest (who is also the mother of Arthur's nephews, among them the famed Gawain). 

Also, in one account, Lancelot's son Galahad (who later in said account was portrayed as basically as perfect as possible being the son of the Greatest Knight Ever) was conceived with a woman who had been magically disguised to look like Guinevere. 

Arthur himself has a bit of an *ahem* origin story. Arthur's father, Uther, had Merlin disguise him as the husband of Lady Igraine, and so Arthur was conceived. Uther kills Igraine's husband in battle that same day, though Igraine didn't learn of her husband's death until after the deed had been done.

9 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I am now a wizard.

Well, good night!

Happy wizard birthday!

Now go send a Hobbit to kill a dragon

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

I think outside of the big three+Impa, any character that has a major story role isn't gonna show up past their game.

That said, an older Linebeck could've appeared in Spirit Tracks. One of Tetra's pirate friends is in that game, but old.

It's funny that you mention that because Linebeck is in Spirit Tracks

Spirit Tracks Walkthrough - The Ocean Realm - Zelda Dungeon

Not the same Linebeck either, but his descendant, Linebeck III, who for all intents and purposes, is just Linebeck again since it's the same model and same character.

He was pretty much just a shop keeper in this game who exchanged goods for various train upgrades. I was actually somewhat surprised they didn't bring him back as well for future games that had a bigger focus in getting items and exchanging them.

That being said, being the major character that he was in Phantom Hourglass, I guess the sequel is the only place he'd realistically be, even as a reincarnation.

Thanks, you two!

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Okay okay! I misspoke.😅 Pretend I wrote "mythological figure with some possible kernel of real existence/inspiration, whom the English claimed as one of their own in spirit if not in literal ethnicity". That better? And yes, I know Arthur's first mentions are in Welsh sources, from Wales it went to England, and then to the rest of Europe later.

Heh, it's fine.

Just don't make that mistake in front of a Welsh.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You're welcome! You know I don't mind blabbing like this.😆

Imagine Shounen Anime Season 2 where the New Lead Guy steals Season 1 Lead's waifu, and all the story attention too.😛

In some versions, the affair, once Arthur discovers it, leads to war between Arthur and Lancelot, beginning the end of glorious Camelot.

-Although the one who kills Arthur is often Mordred, who is usually Arthur's son. Not born of Guinevere, but of Arthur's sister in an act of accidental incest (who is also the mother of Arthur's nephews, among them the famed Gawain). 

Also, in one account, Lancelot's son Galahad (who later in said account was portrayed as basically as perfect as possible being the son of the Greatest Knight Ever) was conceived with a woman who had been magically disguised to look like Guinevere. 

Arthur himself has a bit of an *ahem* origin story. Arthur's father, Uther, had Merlin disguise him as the husband of Lady Igraine, and so Arthur was conceived. Uther kills Igraine's husband in battle that same day, though Igraine didn't learn of her husband's death until after the deed had been done.

So when do we get Fire Emblem Arthur Mythos edition?

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Actually, it's one of the reasons I'm curious to see this movie. I'm wondering if Indy and the new girl have a sort of pseudo-role reversal where he's like his dad was with him in Crusade. I know it's probably not quite like that, but still.

All I'll say it's definitely a completely different dynamic than Indy's previous companions. 

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Why'd he even buy it?

To own the libs.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although the one who kills Arthur is often Mordred, who is usually Arthur's son. Not born of Guinevere, but of Arthur's sister in an act of accidental incest (who is also the mother of Arthur's nephews, among them the famed Gawain). 

Ah, Kaga.

2 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

That being said, being the major character that he was in Phantom Hourglass, I guess the sequel is the only place he'd realistically be, even as a reincarnation.

It does make me sad that the Hero of Winds just doesn't appear. It's actually quite odd when you think about it, we know what happened to Tetra and everyone else but Link? Did he even exist?

We could've had the Hero of Winds teach the Hero of Trains like how the Hero of Time taught the Hero of Twilight. Alas....

Cold Steel IV Fragments chapter

Spoiler

So begins the great mission to save Princess Rean. I wasn't expecting the Black Workshop to be as important as it was before I played Cold Steel III, despite its existence being implied as early as Trails to Azure (Randy says his and Shirley's personal weapons were made by a "special workshop"). This is another dungeon where everyone is split into teams, which is neat.

Not satisfied with this segment only having two teams, Rean breaks out on his own. Also Celine is a catgirl now, I should've seen it coming. More importantly my boy Crow and my girl Duvalie officially join the heroes (even though they leave as soon as the next act starts, darn), the Doov redemption arc is real. "Even more pathetic than usu- WHO THE HECK?!" -Duvalie

Concluding the dungeon is a boss rush with half of the villains, and you thought Sky the 3rd's finale had a lot of bosses in a row? Hopefully you didn't need to change your equipment at any point. Afterwards Rean's mind gets fixed with friendship speeches from everyone (including Millium and Valimar, I miss them already).

Now that Osborne gets to be the main villain after eight games of buildup, we finally get to fight him for the first time. With Arianrhod fighting alongside him, it’s pretty climactic. But who would've expected him to wield the Soul Edge and be as strong as Arianrhod is (Ebon Awakener perks, most likely)? Now I need to think even more about the canon power tier list... The battle is tricky from a gameplay perspective as well, since you have to beat them both at the same time for max AP.

From what I gather, Rean's power is due to him being The Curse's chosen one, presumably a consequence of him being revived rather than always being "chosen". The next stage of the Evil Plan requires having the Divine Knights fight each other, not to mention the whole invasion of Calvard thing. It feels like the game hasn't "properly" started until now. Josette has come far enough to be capable of epic rescues, I'm so proud of her.

Also, I appreciate how big the Character Note is at this point. There can never be too many characters...

11 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I am now a wizard.

Happy wizardday, enjoy your new cosmic powers!

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

All I know about the Gollum game is this

8wooHLu.png

79bu6jr.png

Riki sneaky!

22 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It does make me sad that the Hero of Winds just doesn't appear. It's actually quite odd when you think about it, we know what happened to Tetra and everyone else but Link? Did he even exist?

We could've had the Hero of Winds teach the Hero of Trains like how the Hero of Time taught the Hero of Twilight. Alas....

He drowned on the way to the new world

I can't get over the fact that his official name is the Hero of Trains. Hero of Spirits? Nah, Hero of Trains

All right, so there we go. I watched Indiana Jones: Old But Bold.

I enjoyed myself. The first part was awesome, almost felt like it could've been its own little Indy movie by itself, and it culminates in a train fight, you know how I love those. Though they could've saved the part where the main villain of the movie gets obliterated by a sign off the side of a train and just shows up again five minutes later with zero visible scars. At least when Emperor's Tomb's Von Beck got dragged underwater by a giant crocodile and survived by some miracle, he got a few funky scars from the ordeal.

Speaking of the main villain who should've died there, Voller initially reeks of "let's throw Trendy Hollywood Villain Actor at the movie and it'll be guaranteed great," but they got a lot of mileage out of Mikkelsen. He has a strong presence, a lot of screentime to deliver his acting chops, and I love how utterly bonkers his plan is. The other villains in this series pretty much just want artifacts either 'cause, for money or for the Führer, but then there's this dude who has a plan convoluted, grandiose and ambitious enough to make Bond villains blush. His goons, by contrast, are kinda lacking, they're okay but they're kinda just there to be Voller's muscle. Before seeing the movie I kept thinking Stacheguy was Mutt, that was a fun surprise.

As for the rest of the movie, I thought it was good. Helena's a fine sidekick, I don't know why people hate her so much (actually, I do, but they're blowing it way out of proportion, her entire character's point is that she's an overconfident smartass), the setpieces are neat, the effects were convincing (I think, I'm not much of a movie goer, as you know) and the finale is completely insane, but in a good way, and it feels like a fitting climax to Jones's life of adventures seeking history. Spoilers ahead, if you care.

Spoiler

I do wish they'd had the balls to kill Indy off at the end, instead of going for a milquetoast "family reunited, all is good now" ending with a reference as the cherry on top. He'd been bleeding out of a gunshot wound for a good 20 minutes of the movie. To pass away after having one last adventure, meeting one of the historical figures he had studied his entire life, living that history, it would've been a fitting end to the life of Indiana Jones and it would've ensured the movie was, well and truly, final.

That, and it would've kept me from realizing, after stepping out of the theatre, that Indy was still the prime suspect in the murder of those college employees. When that was established I thought for sure he'd either not return, or time travel shenanigans would undo all that, but... no, he just sort of comes back home and nothing happens to him. The murderer became a pile of charcoal in Siracusa 212 BC, one of the two witnesses drowned in a forgotten cave at Greece and the other was shot over Tanger and likely jettisoned into the ocean by the nazis. So how's Indy getting out of that bind? It feels like they just forgot lol

That being said, I loved how Helena's cliché "your place is back home" speech completely failed to sway a starstruck, likely delirious Indy as he made up his mind to stay and die in the history he spent his entire life studying. And then Helena just fucking decked the severely injured octogenarian on the face and dragged him back to the boring ol' present by force. That was amazing.

The finale also felt like it lacked a final tussle. I thought the one Roman centurion would give them trouble, but then he just got unceremoniously shot down by Archidemes's archers. Personally, I feel they should've had Voller have a short fight with Indy, be it in the plane or having him survive the crash. He and Indy would've actually been evenly matched, both being old and grievously injured. It would've been less of a fight and more of a desperate struggle, but I'd say that would've fit the tone of the movie even better.

So yeah, in conclusion, I don't regret making this my yearly movie of the year. If I had to rank the Indies (and I hesitate to do so, the last time I watched the others in their entirety was... well, the latest was Crystal Skull when it came out), I think I'd go Last Crusade > Raiders of the Lost Ark > Dial of Destiny, and Temple and Skull somewhere below, not sure in what order. Maybe. Whatever the case, in a vacuum, overall, Dial was 7 euros well spent for me.

All I'll say it's definitely a completely different dynamic than Indy's previous companions. 

The poor guy can barely keep up lol, he's too old to handle so much youth.

I will say, I do like how they didn't shy away from Indy's (Ford's) age but rather embraced it and built the movie around the limitations of its main star being nowhere near as spry or ready as he once was. It could've felt like the Hollywood weirdo's last desperate attempt at feeling like he can still be a kickass action star, but they were humble about it and it was for the benefit of the movie, I'd say.

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

8wooHLu.png

79bu6jr.png

Riki won the argument.

Also that's really the best picture of Gollum: The Game's Gollum they could get lol