• Replies 178.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I TOLD YOU @Shrimpy -Limited Edition- I TOLD YOU IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN

On 7/2/2023 at 4:00 AM, Acacia Sgt said:

I am now a wizard.

Well, good night!

Happy birthday!!!!!

Wizards Party Hard GIF - Wizards Party Hard Harry Potter - Discover & Share  GIFs

That gif should've had a warning... X_X

Still, thanks!

45 minutes ago, Armagon said:

RDT_20230703_0959521038821634210176912.j

As an introvert, i am fucking dreading the whole "it's not about what you know, it's who you know" schtick once i graduate. I don't know how much of it is true but i hear it enough that i feel it's going to get in the way a lot.

I get that we are social creatures but not everybody needs to do "networking".

Not even being someone's nephew has helped me, as it were.

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

*raw leaks out*

*Takes a sneak peak*

Oh yean internet will explode

2 days won't even be enough to prepare all the popcorn needed for this lmao

Wait what is happening?

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Wait what is happening?

Oshi no Ko, one of the most viral manga atm, is getting spicy

real spicy

And well, the raws imply something that will continue the fire that has been going for the last few weeks lol

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

real spicy

And well, the raws imply something that will continue the fire that has been going for the last few weeks lol

That's the one with the glowsticks, correct? Well, I'm happy for it.

On the subject of the manga, I do wonder how they would handle stuff like the Anna/Jean Paralogues. I mean, Anna's is easy, but Jean's has an awkward placement pacing. Since despite the urgency to retrieve the hidden ring and head to Brodia, that's when his paralogue opens up, which means having to backtrack. Short of delaying it all the way to between Chapters 17 and 18, it could also make sense if they were forced to make the detour to the island before actually landing at Florra Port.

Spoiler

That's what I actually plan to do for my fanfic, in fact. Because no way I'm delaying Jean showing up for that long, pft.

5 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

real spicy

Is this because

Spoiler

They're pulling a Fire Emblem with the siblings?

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Played the first three battles of the Wu storyline in DW8, wow it moves fast.😮 They skipped the Yellow Turbans and Dong Zhuo (so only Shu gets a fight against Zhang Jiao?). Wasn't Sun Jian kinda notable in both events? The daddy of Wu isn't playable for the first battle and dies right afterwards, Ce follows him two fights later. Yeah, I get based on a novel based on history, but events feel really abridged here. Battle four and it's already Red Cliffs/Chibi.

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Why no PC tho 😞 

Well, people, or at least devs, like the Switch as a VN machine. 

Judging from the comments I've read, I take it that like that Holy Night thing, this one will be a 16GB monster VN size-wise.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Played the first three battles of the Wu storyline in DW8, wow it moves fast.😮 They skipped the Yellow Turbans and Dong Zhuo (so only Shu gets a fight against Zhang Jiao?). Wasn't Sun Jian kinda notable in both events? The daddy of Wu isn't playable for the first battle and dies right afterwards, Ce follows him two fights later. Yeah, I get based on a novel based on history, but events feel really abridged here. Battle four and it's already Red Cliffs/Chibi.

It likes stems from the fact that Wu as the titular third kingdom didn't came to be until Sun Quan, by the 220's. So you are blitzing through these bits.

9 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It likes stems from the fact that Wu as the titular third kingdom didn't came to be until Sun Quan, by the 220's. So you are blitzing through these bits.

*Compares with DW7*

Yellow Turbans, Liang Province, Ou Xing Rebellion, Dong Zhuo, then the battle where Jian dies, Ce still dies two after that. Having four additional battles to let the complete Sun family vibe sink in (despite any major anachronisms), really makes a difference.

Getting to Wu officially as Wu might be okay, but for someone new to the Three Kingdoms, DW7 seems to be the superior starting point. 8 almost presumes familiarity with prior DWs and or the history/novel. -Even if DW8 wins in gameplay b/c nobody is a clone anymore.

12 hours ago, Armagon said:

It's possible. We know there's more to the world than just Hyrule, thanks to the existence of Holodrum, Labrayna, Hytopia (yes Nintendo insists Triforce Heroes is canon) and perhaps another unknown country (Sidon's fiance in Tears of the Kingdom comes from "another Zora's Domain, i headcanon she's Labraynan but anything's possible). Did they get affected by the Great Flood too?

True.

Though i know it's for gameplay reasons, Hyrule's always seemingly blocked off from the rest of the world by tall cliffs and mountain ranges.

1000.png?width=1250&height=410

latest.png?width=788&height=401

1000.png?width=1095&height=618

latest.png?width=975&height=618

latest.png?width=618&height=618

1000.png?width=587&height=618

1000.png?width=742&height=618

With the 2D games, it's obviously more video-gamey in structure (especially Four Swords) but tall mountain ranges surrounding it with very few openings. I suppose that's why Hyrule's never suffered external conflicts, it's hard to invade from outside. Hyrule is also almost always landlocked, which i think it's interesting. Lore-wise, i guess it means the sheer passage of time causes Hyrule's geography to shift. I know the actual answer is that it just depends on what the devs want it to be.

I wonder if from a timeline standpoint you could say that the sea being in BoTW is a result of the Great Sea retreating back to sea level over time. There is some evidence in that game to suggest such a thing if I remember correctly...

Most Zelda lore discussions are a result of the devs not caring about the timeline nearly as much as the fans but it's still fun to talk about.

8 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

All this Britain's fault talk amuses me a bit, as I recently played a boardgame called Versailles 1919, which is all about playing as the architects of that awful treaty that ended WWI.

That sounds amazing, I'll have to check that out.

1 minute ago, GuardianSing said:

I wonder if from a timeline standpoint you could say that the sea being in BoTW is a result of the Great Sea retreating back to sea level over time. There is some evidence in that game to suggest such a thing if I remember correctly...

Most Zelda lore discussions are a result of the devs not caring about the timeline nearly as much as the fans but it's still fun to talk about.

I hurt my friend's soul two days ago by telling him Zelda's story is just Mario with extra steps.

I didn't really mean it, I mean, the full extent of my knowledge of Zelda's story is "generic guy with a sword rescues generic princess from generic bad guy" and there's no way that runs anywhere below the most surface level. But I got a kick out of his reaction. It was a great reaction.

11 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

I think the devs flat out regret making the timeline an official thing tbh. What with BotW/TotK's exact placement being undetermined (is it at the end of one timeline or all) and TotK also throws another wrench into it as well.

As a result, I think any new games from now on will just follow the BotW/TotK timeline, likely with the same Link and Zelda. It'd be very strange to go back to the "Era of Myth".

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I hurt my friend's soul two days ago by telling him Zelda's story is just Mario with extra steps.

I didn't really mean it, I mean, the full extent of my knowledge of Zelda's story is "generic guy with a sword rescues generic princess from generic bad guy" and there's no way that runs anywhere below the most surface level. But I got a kick out of his reaction. It was a great reaction.

Yes and no. The first three Zelda games are really just that.

Link's Awakening, the fourth game, is the first game to have actual gravitas to what's going on, what with the whole game being a dream world and leaving it effectively means killing everyone who lives in it.

Ocarina of Time uhhhhhh well it's very important because of the three way timeline split.

Majora's Mask I shouldn't even have to go into much detail. Whole game's about life and mortality, with the sidequests feeding into the game's main story and themes, something that wouldn't be done again until Tears of the Kingdom.

The Oracle games are kinda fucked up when you think about it but it's really just a game.

Wind Waker presents the most interesting depiction of Ganondorf, one who has had time to self-reflect, even if he still comes to the same conclusion. It's also the first game that is technically post-apocalyptic.

Twilight Princess has Midna, the whole game is about her going from a selfish little imp who manipulates Link to genuinely becoming an ally in the fight for good. It's also the first game that is "traditionally dark" if you get what I mean.

Spirit Tracks had Zelda stick around the whole game for the first time.

Skyward Sword makes Link and Zelda's dynamic a really personal one, the game really sells you on it.

A Link Between Worlds has the first morally grey villain in the series but she still plays second fiddle to the actual main villain. But won't lie, most of the game is just a game.

Breath of the Wild flips everything on it's head, with Zelda being frustrated at not unlocking her plot magic (a welcome change when you realize how perfect she is in the other games), Ganon just being an entity at this point and the game as a whole has a theme of loneliness and natural beauty.

Tears of the Kingdom has a strong emphasis on community and cooperation, with it being the first game in the series where the citizens of Hyrule, plot-relevant or not, actually do something about the situation. Even enemies fit into that theme, albeit trying to kill you instead, with the Yiga Clan being an actual organization this time and certain enemies forming symbiotic relationships, and actual monster forts that are treated like raids (they got their own healthbars).

As for the rest of the games not mentioned, yeah they are just games where the knight in shining armor rescues the princess. But at least half the series has more going on underneath. 

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

The Oracle games are kinda fucked up when you think about it but it's really just a game

Its a Capcom translation, what did you expect?

Only read the book (and am currently halfway through the second), but this was very useful to a dumb-dumb such as myself to understand what's going on.

At least I did figure out on my own that "hero" isn't the most accurate term to describe Paul with, so yay me..?

14 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Its a Capcom translation, what did you expect?

?

Oracle of Ages has a witch travelling back in time and causing chaos, causing some people in the present to cease to exist.

Oracle of Seasons has a dude messing with the seasons, causing chaos.

Both are fucked up and the former does show it, the latter doesn't but the game doesn't really drive the point home I think. Although tbf Game Boy. This isn't a knock against it btw.

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I think the devs flat out regret making the timeline an official thing tbh. What with BotW/TotK's exact placement being undetermined (is it at the end of one timeline or all) and TotK also throws another wrench into it as well.

As a result, I think any new games from now on will just follow the BotW/TotK timeline, likely with the same Link and Zelda. It'd be very strange to go back to the "Era of Myth".

Skyward Sword will forever be known as the first and last game to care about the Zelda timeline.

Honestly good for them, they realized that abiding by a timeline would probably restrict creative freedom, which for most Nintendo games is the most important part. And I've personally really enjoyed the theorizing side of the Zelda community that popped up when Nintendo basically said "It's up to player interpretation"

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ocarina of Time uhhhhhh well it's very important because of the three way timeline split.

Ocarina of Time has one of the most conceptually interesting story backdrops in my opinion as it takes place 7 years after the elusive "Hyrulian Civil War" One of the only conflicts in Zelda history that don't appear to have much to do with Ganondorf or any other "pure evil" character. It's only mentioned in one cutscene but the ramifications of it echo throughout the entire game that make you ask questions like: Why are the Goron, Zora, and Hyrulians such good friends? Why do the Gerudo isolate themselves so much? Where the hell did all the Sheikah go and what were they doing in the Shadow Temple?

27 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Wind Waker presents the most interesting depiction of Ganondorf, one who has had time to self-reflect, even if he still comes to the same conclusion. It's also the first game that is technically post-apocalyptic.

Wind Waker's depiction of Ganondorf also makes OoT's Civil War even more intriguing to me. His speech before you battle him is still one of my favorite passages in any game and I want to see more of this pragmatic Ganon in future games.

34 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Spirit Tracks had Zelda stick around the whole game for the first time.

Because of Zelda's inclusion throughout the game it's the first one that actually had me believe Zelda and Link had a budding friendship going on before Skyward Sword.