Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Hang on who is writing then?

Aka is the writer and Mengo is the artist

However Mengo influence is known and shown, and they trade ideas (and iirc they both admitted as much). No wonder, she herself is a succesful mangaka. Would be a waste to just treat her as an artist.

She stopped a major character from dying, for example, afaik. 

Another incident is when something really spicy happened Mengo had to say on twitter "It's not me this time" because it was very Mengo XD

And the current Arc has Mengo written all over it

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ruben style? Hardly. I don't see any thinly-veiled hostilities directed at the entire country of Japan.

You don't nuke japan while talking about Berwick

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Replies 177.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, the sequel is one of two games in the series where Zelda is actually the main character for real. And sure, it may not have Morshu, but it does have the King pondering his infamous question.

Funny how it took Wand of Gamelon of all games to finally have playable Zelda.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It may have been written, "only Link can defeat Ganon".

But the King said, "enough, my ship sails in the morning" and set out to beat the big G by himself. With his fists.

Name any other Zelda games where you can scrub the floors of Hyrule with your enemies barehanded as the King. I'll wait.

In Hyrule Warriors Legends the King sails his ship straight into battle.

Edited by BrightBow

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, the sequel is one of two games in the series where Zelda is actually the main character for real. And sure, it may not have Morshu, but it does have the King pondering his infamous question.

Don't forget the true peak of gaming

latest.png?width=591&height=578

With such stunning graphics

latest.png?width=480&height=300

maxresdefault.jpg

1562042aaa.jpg

384.png?width=480&height=300

Truly nothing like this can be made today.

3 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

However Mengo influence is known and shown, and they trade ideas (and iirc they both admitted as much). No wonder, she herself is a succesful mangaka. Would be a waste to just trade her as an artist.

She stopped a major character from dying, for example, afaik. 

Another incident is when something really spicy happened Mengo had to say on twitter "It's not me this time" because it was very Mengo XD

And the current Arc has Mengo written all over it

I see.

Edited by Armagon

22 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Contrary to popular opinion, I'm actually finding it to be rather gorgeous.

...You know, when it's looking more like this

6FygVxym_o.png

and not so much this.

tHomdFGu_o.png

You may be tempted to think I'm trolling you here but no I legitimately started a playthrough of Faces of Evil for fun, the fanmade remaster does wonders for the game it's actually kinda fun like this

Though I'll admit the prospect of proudly announcing I've started a Zelda game only to reveal it's the funny King game was too much to resist, too

Honest to god, when you mentioned that you were playing an unspecified Zelda game, the first thought that went through my brain was "He's playing the Faces of Evil, isn't he"

22 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I do not doubt Ocarina's contributions to gaming history, but it's like Symphony of the Night - I respect it, but when it comes to playing the game, I'd rather play Bloodstained. Probably. It's not an exact science.

Thing about Ocarina of Time is that Wind Waker and Twilight Princess perfected that formula so if you have little interest in the legacy or story and just want to play a good Ocarina of Time-like Zelda game, you might as well just play one of those two.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

How does it feel knowing Princess Peach has had more playable appearances in the Mario games than Princess Zelda in the Zelda games.

1 minute ago, GuardianSing said:

How does it feel knowing Princess Peach has had more playable appearances in the Mario games than Princess Zelda in the Zelda games.

Well, Zelda will always have having the franchise named after her going on for her at least, heh.

Overall, just an interesting piece of trivia.

2 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Thing about Ocarina of Time is that Wind Waker and Twilight Princess perfected that formula so if you have little interest in the legacy or story and just want to play a good Ocarina of Time-like Zelda game, you might as well just play one of those two.

Careful, the Ocarina purists will crucify you for that. But i agree though the reason i recommend Ocarina over those two is that it's easily the easiest to get into. Just plops you right in. All the other 3D games in the series, well:

Majora's Mask makes you go through a mandatory cycle before you can leave Clock Town for the first time. It's not too bad, since you can skip ahead until the Night of the Final Day

Wind Waker makes you do a dumb stealth segment that takes too long

Twilight Princess

Waiting-Skeleton.jpg

Skyward Sword is structurally different, for all intents and purposes, the moment you touch down on the surface, you're already in "the first dungeon" and it doesn't take too long for it to happen.

I don't even have to go into Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom for this. Fundamentally different games.

6 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Tbf it took her a good while before she actually did that in a mainline game (Super Mario Bros 2 is just reskinned Doki Doki Panic, it technically doesn't count).

17 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

You don't nuke japan while talking about Berwick

Berwick Saga shall be my Amadis de Gaula. It will be the only worthy masterpiece I shall save from the pyre, when I become President of Spain and declare righteous crusade on the unholy land.

This thread will come back to bite me in the ass if I ever run for president, won't it.

15 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

No joke, mainline Zelda needs to try it. The Legend of Zelda: Link Fucking Dies.

14 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

In Hyrule Warriors Legends the King sails his ship straight into battle.

I saw "King Daphnes" and "sail" and my mind immediately filled the blank with a "became."

He sure moved up in the world since the days he was joining volcanic barbarian bands, huh...

EDIT: lol I just read the comments and of course I scroll two centimeters down and find someone asking for a Harkinian skin

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Don't forget the true peak of gaming

latest.png?width=591&height=578

That one also got a fan remaster. Or demaster, depending on how you look at it. They made a version of it for the Gameboy, but it actually looks better.

Zeldas-adventure-game-boy.jpg?width=1600&height=900&fit=crop&quality=100&format=png&enable=upscale&auto=webp

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

384.png?width=480&height=300

Truly nothing like this can be made today.

Of course not, the Switch couldn't run something like that lolololololololol

...Faces of Evil solos the entire series because it has Morshu. There, I said it. Any who refuse to see the truth will receive lamp oil, rope and bombs. Not necessarily in that order.

I fucking love this game, I'm so glad I'm finally playing it. It's actually kind of fun, more because the remaster made it smooth to play. The game itself is completely bonkers, you'll run through a screen one-shotting enemies, enter a cave, find some abomination that sends you on a fetch quest and add it to the pile of five or six fetch quests you're already taking on. Oh, and the bosses get a chuckle out of me every time, they die in literally two seconds, all of 'em.

12 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Honest to god, when you mentioned that you were playing an unspecified Zelda game, the first thought that went through my brain was "He's playing the Faces of Evil, isn't he"

I'm actually more surprised Armagon didn't immediately realize as well. This is such a me thing to do.

Pretty much the impression I've gotten, yeah.

It feels like the Zelda Team should stop for a moment and consider "hmm, how can we help?"

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

(Super Mario Bros 2 is just reskinned Doki Doki Panic, it technically doesn't count).

Well, Miyamoto also made Doki Doki Panic, if I'm not mistaken. Does it really not count when the guy himself went "okay this Mario now"?

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Considering how that game would cement a lot of things of the Marioverse... yes, it totally counts I'd say.

Like, seriously. Lots of Mario-staple enemies/creatures like Bob-Ombs and Shy Guys, designs like Luigi being taller and thinner than Mario, and even abilities like Peach's floaty dress... it all started there.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

No joke, mainline Zelda needs to try it. The Legend of Zelda: Link Fucking Dies.

Closest we got is Spirit Tracks and it took Zelda dying to become playable lmao.

Tbf, Zelda is far more of an actual character than Peach is.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, Miyamoto also made Doki Doki Panic, if I'm not mistaken. Does it really not count when the guy himself went "okay this Mario now"?

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Considering how that game would cement a lot of things of the Marioverse... yes, it totally counts I'd say.

Like, seriously. Lots of Mario-staple enemies/creatures like Bob-Ombs and Shy Guys, designs like Luigi being taller and thinner than Mario, and even abilities like Peach's floaty dress... it all started there.

Yeah that is true.

9 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Wind Waker? That game is so linear, it feels strange that the key display even has a number attached to it instead of simply saying "Yes" or "No". There is literally no point in the game where it's possible to carry more than one key at a time.
Sadly that game is really only carried by it's amazing visuals and the fact that the sea is actually quite cute. Too bad it takes ages before the game actually allows you to freely cruise around.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I have been informed against my will that "nukes aren't real" conspiracy theorists exist

RDT_20230705_2300258794476204645419569.j

I want off this planet.

This has to be a fucking meme

It has to be

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

Super Mario Bros 3 review

This is where Mario really began to take off. All the elements that would be refined and improved upon in later entries began here and thankfully, the game holds up well.

8/10

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

This has to be a fucking meme

It has to be

Unfortunately it is impossible to detect satire if it was indeed satire.

1 minute ago, Lightcosmo said:

But MM has the same cult- following lmao.

I don't think Majora's Mask purists exist the same way Ocarina purists do.

Mind, i don't think, or rather, i haven't seen Ocarina purists act negatively towards other games in the series. It's moreso "Zelda peaked here and it's never been close since" which would be fine if Ocarina was actually doing something interesting.

The actual elitism conflict right now is the usual "old game good new game bad".

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

We gotta nuke humanity to prove this guy wrong

You're all welcome in my Empire under the seas ofc

>Deploys nukes

>rise-up-stand-up.gif

Jh5y9oFM_o.png

Link: The Faces of Evil is a post-modern masterpiece

In all seriousness, this game is actually hilarious. Its pace is not breakneck, it's decapitating. I don't think I've played many games that feel so tiny, and I played Mario Land 1 like a month ago. That one felt bigger, and I am not joking.

Each level consists of two or three screens, with riveting platforming challenges ranging from "run to the other side of the screen and then back" to "find the piece of background scenery you can actually stand on" and "throw 10 bombs at a boulder." A minute or less later, you'll encounter one of three things: a terrifying animated monstrosity to send you on a fetch quest, an item you need for one such fetch quest, or a boss that dies in two seconds. Then you leave, find another level to powerwalk through, occasionally stop to buy bombs (lamp oil is so cheap you could buy enough for the entire game on your first visit to Morshu and ropes are very rarely used) or grab a few snowballs. Sometimes you'll return to previous levels to finish a fetch quest - that's right, this is an open world, non-linear game. Eat your heart out, Breath of the Wild, more like Fart.

Do this until you've unlocked all the levels, fulfilled all the fetch quests, obtained all the items and visited Gwonam at his house so he gives you the ability to see the invisible enemies in Garon's lair. Or not, I mean, Garon's Lair is as tiny as the rest of the game, you can just run through, swing your sword blindly and get to the exit. I know because I did some savefile manipulation to unlock Harkinian mode but I couldn't figure out how to unlock the inviso-vision, so I just ran through. Somehow this resulted in not encountering Ganon, I just ran straight to Zelda somehow. Anyway, do all that and there you go, you've beaten Link: The Faces of Evil. I didn't keep count of the playtime, but that was like, 90 minutes tops.

To top all of that off, I wasn't kidding, the bosses really do die in two seconds. Maybe one boss requires fireballs to die, maybe this one requires a book. It doesn't matter, they all just pace back and forth and die in seconds once you find the correct weapon, or just to the sword. The only exception is Lupay, the penultimate boss, who not only doesn't die in two seconds, but in fact cannot die. Until you fulfill a fetch quest. And even then he takes more than two seconds because you need to reflect his projectiles back to him and he's slow at firing them. Impressive, not for nothing does Gwonam describe him as the mightiest of Ganon's minions. You know, Ganon, who dies instantly if you throw a book at him. He's actually the most pathetic boss in the game, and that's saying something.

This is all made even funnier by the fact that the game contains a gargantuan OST. I swear, almost every screen in the game has its own theme song. I am dead fucking serious, that is no exaggeration. I mean, look at this shit! 69 songs? That's around the same amount of screens there are in the game! There were maybe like, small rooms inside of any given level that shared songs, but that's about it, otherwise it was consistently a new song per screen. The music itself is surprisingly good, but forgettable, and it doesn't have a chance to make an impression because, well... you hear each song for about 20 seconds tops and then you never hear it again.

Mechanically, it's a game that plays buttery smooth... but only because of the fanmade remaster. You grab stuff by running into it rather than hitting it, the framerate is perfect, the physics are less wonky, you get infinite continues so you don't waste time restarting areas from the beginning, there's a hint system where you press space and Gwonam tells you what you have left to do in each area so you don't get lost in the ten thousand fetch quest you'll accrue, lamp-oil lasts longer than five seconds so you don't have to keep bringing up the menu... Improvements all around. It's actually pretty enjoyable walking around one-shotting the shit out of everything. But if you want the classic Faces of Evil experience, you can turn off the QoL changes in the background.

The backgrounds are gorgeous though. Positively beautiful. They make for lousy platformer levels, but each level looks like something I would like to put on a frame and hang on my living room wall. The artist was really, really talented. Different story is the artist for the cutscenes, but I don't believe you need me to say anything on that topic, mmmm?

So yeah, that's been Legend of Harkinian: The Faces of Dinner. I feel like I've spent more time writing this than playing the game.

Ohh!/10

Enough. My ship sails in the morning.

41 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I have been informed against my will that "nukes aren't real" conspiracy theorists exist

RDT_20230705_2300258794476204645419569.j

I want off this planet.

We denying the nukes now? For fuck's sake.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Jh5y9oFM_o.png

Link: The Faces of Evil is a post-modern masterpiece

In all seriousness, this game is actually hilarious. Its pace is not breakneck, it's decapitating. I don't think I've played many games that feel so tiny, and I played Mario Land 1 like a month ago. That one felt bigger, and I am not joking.

Each level consists of two or three screens, with riveting platforming challenges ranging from "run to the other side of the screen and then back" to "find the piece of background scenery you can actually stand on" and "throw 10 bombs at a boulder." A minute or less later, you'll encounter one of three things: a terrifying animated monstrosity to send you on a fetch quest, an item you need for one such fetch quest, or a boss that dies in two seconds. Then you leave, find another level to powerwalk through, occasionally stop to buy bombs (lamp oil is so cheap you could buy enough for the entire game on your first visit to Morshu and ropes are very rarely used) or grab a few snowballs. Sometimes you'll return to previous levels to finish a fetch quest - that's right, this is an open world, non-linear game. Eat your heart out, Breath of the Wild, more like Fart.

Do this until you've unlocked all the levels, fulfilled all the fetch quests, obtained all the items and visited Gwonam at his house so he gives you the ability to see the invisible enemies in Garon's lair. Or not, I mean, Garon's Lair is as tiny as the rest of the game, you can just run through, swing your sword blindly and get to the exit. I know because I did some savefile manipulation to unlock Harkinian mode but I couldn't figure out how to unlock the inviso-vision, so I just ran through. Somehow this resulted in not encountering Ganon, I just ran straight to Zelda somehow. Anyway, do all that and there you go, you've beaten Link: The Faces of Evil. I didn't keep count of the playtime, but that was like, 90 minutes tops.

To top all of that off, I wasn't kidding, the bosses really do die in two seconds. Maybe one boss requires fireballs to die, maybe this one requires a book. It doesn't matter, they all just pace back and forth and die in seconds once you find the correct weapon, or just to the sword. The only exception is Lupay, the penultimate boss, who not only doesn't die in two seconds, but in fact cannot die. Until you fulfill a fetch quest. And even then he takes more than two seconds because you need to reflect his projectiles back to him and he's slow at firing them. Impressive, not for nothing does Gwonam describe him as the mightiest of Ganon's minions. You know, Ganon, who dies instantly if you throw a book at him. He's actually the most pathetic boss in the game, and that's saying something.

This is all made even funnier by the fact that the game contains a gargantuan OST. I swear, almost every screen in the game has its own theme song. I am dead fucking serious, that is no exaggeration. I mean, look at this shit! 69 songs? That's around the same amount of screens there are in the game! There were maybe like, small rooms inside of any given level that shared songs, but that's about it, otherwise it was consistently a new song per screen. The music itself is surprisingly good, but forgettable, and it doesn't have a chance to make an impression because, well... you hear each song for about 20 seconds tops and then you never hear it again.

Mechanically, it's a game that plays buttery smooth... but only because of the fanmade remaster. You grab stuff by running into it rather than hitting it, the framerate is perfect, the physics are less wonky, you get infinite continues so you don't waste time restarting areas from the beginning, there's a hint system where you press space and Gwonam tells you what you have left to do in each area so you don't get lost in the ten thousand fetch quest you'll accrue, lamp-oil lasts longer than five seconds so you don't have to keep bringing up the menu... Improvements all around. It's actually pretty enjoyable walking around one-shotting the shit out of everything. But if you want the classic Faces of Evil experience, you can turn off the QoL changes in the background.

The backgrounds are gorgeous though. Positively beautiful. They make for lousy platformer levels, but each level looks like something I would like to put on a frame and hang on my living room wall. The artist was really, really talented. Different story is the artist for the cutscenes, but I don't believe you need me to say anything on that topic, mmmm?

So yeah, that's been Legend of Harkinian: The Faces of Dinner. I feel like I've spent more time writing this than playing the game.

Ohh!/10

Enough. My ship sails in the morning.

It’s good to see that Rubenio has been hitting the sauce more then I have been recently.

Oh and I guess Trails into Reverie is coming out tomorrow, yeah…

Edited by Sidereal Wraith