• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Meanwhile I still haven't played the game. I really need to push past my dislike of the character designs I've seen and get to it.

Here's a female character design you might like:

uF8GL4v.jpg

(although it has to be said that Shale doesn't consider themself to be female, since they have been a golem for centuries and don't remember anything about their life as a squishy)

A little quirk that you might also find entertaining: In order to get the best bow of the game (other than the Leliana-exclusive bow that Marjolaine drops), you have to either kill or drive to suicide Owen, the smith of Redcliff (I think abandoning the village to the zombies also works). He will be replaced by some nameless smith, who is the only merchant that you can get the Far Song from.

It doesn't really matter to me, since the Mage's Eye bow is so fittingly named for my Heroofferelden, but it's still so odd that the best bow in the game is gated behind failing a sidequest. And it's not even a competition - the Mage's Eye has +4 attack and +3% crit, another top-tier bow has +2 damage and rapid aim... and the Far Song has +2 damage, rapid aim, +3% crit, +10 attack, and +10% crit damage for good measure. Like, why? I don't think any other weapon type has an ultimate weapon standing out by that much.

--

zsYLUPa.jpg

--

One day, my muscle memory will learn that for some reason, you can't "copy image" on imgur to insert them in SF posts anymore, it'll upload the image agains as an attachment, you have to pick "copy image URL", or whatever it is in English, and hope that it still automatically recognises that as an image.

Ruby is probably more fitting as a partner for Merida than Alvina.

az001.jpg

https://km-hs-lr22.hatenablog.com/entry/2016/09/14/232721

Still, love all those little details in the background. Like, I can most certainly see how most get along well each other except Aegina who seems a little disturbed by Lyttia.
Which makes sense. They do have a ton of parallels, but the differences they have define them as being extremely different people. Both are tsundere princesses who bought a slave, but while Aegina freed her's, Lyttia kept her's and abuses him frequently. It's like how both Marth and Lucina are royalty who were driven out of their home country by invaders. But only Marth actually came back and freed his people, while Lucina abandoned her people to ensure her personal safety, not caring about the duty that comes with the privileges of her birthright. They seem extremely similar at a glance, but closer inspection shows they are very much opposites of each other in their values and morality.

That being said, I did always wonder what Aegina was even doing on a slave market. As someone who is as dutiful as her, it seems like a strange place for her to hang out. Unless her family buys slaves on the regular. Except Rosalie does seem to be a free woman, even if it's not explicitly stated. Considering she at one points threatens to leave Aegina and Aegina can not respond anything to that. Seems like she is free to go wherever she wants.
But with Lyttia this makes perfect sense. She is moody and rebellious. You tell her there is a dangerous place that she should avoid, she will go there just to spite you. It's not much but at least it's something, I suppose. Not many positives that can be said about Lyttia.

But I do think I would actually like her as a character if her relationship with Tallan wasn't forced into a romance. If they were allowed to have a more complex relationship then that. That for example they might be sympathetic towards each other but can also both recognize that Lyttia destroyed that particular bridge harder than Tallan destroyed the bridges in chapter 14.

Edited by BrightBow

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

But only Marth actually came back and freed his people, while Lucina abandoned her people to ensure her personal safety, not caring about the duty that comes with the privileges of her birthright. They seem extremely similar at a glance, but closer inspection shows they are very much opposites of each other.

Am I missing something here or you're talking about a non-FE Lucina?

Just now, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

you're in the mood for incest Stories?

No you fool. Knowing your track record I assumed it was just another romantic manga you were reading that included incest as well.

We lost ONE wave, ONCE, you idiots.

Why the fuck did my entire team leave after losing ONCE.

The hell's wrong with people? They'd rather wait for the game to find another match, then start another mission from the beginning than just do one wave again?

27 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Yes i need my lab rat to finish the game already

At this point I'm pretty sure it's been years

1 minute ago, gnip said:

Here's a female character design you might like:

uF8GL4v.jpg

Yes, the one I never got because I didn't bother with the DLC. Oh well.

2 minutes ago, gnip said:

A little quirk that you might also find entertaining: In order to get the best bow of the game (other than the Leliana-exclusive bow that Marjolaine drops), you have to either kill or drive to suicide Owen, the smith of Redcliff (I think abandoning the village to the zombies also works). He will be replaced by some nameless smith, who is the only merchant that you can get the Far Song from.

That's amazing, I had no idea that was a thing. Such a funky game, this.

9 minutes ago, gnip said:

zsYLUPa.jpg

Ah yes, the best line in the game. It also appears if Harrowmont is killed instead, I can confirm.

3 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Ruby is probably more fitting as a partner for Merida than Alvina.

No, because Merida is actually good lolololol

And Penneloupe for Sylvis, but let's not sweat the little details haha.

6 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Which makes sense. They do have a ton of parallels, but the differences they have define them as being extremely different people. Both are tsundere princesses who bought a slave, but while Aegina freed her's, Lyttia kept her's and abuses him frequently. It's like how both Marth and Lucina are royalty who were driven out of their home country by invaders. But only Marth actually came back and freed his people, while Lucina abandoned her people to ensure her personal safety, not caring about the duty that comes with the privileges of her birthright. They seem extremely similar at a glance, but closer inspection shows they are very much opposites of each other in their values and morality.

I kinda love how you managed to turn this into another Awakening rant.

6 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

But I do think I would actually like her as a character if her relationship with Tallan wasn't forced into a romance. If they were allowed to have a more complex relationship then that. That for example they might be sympathetic towards each other but can also both recognize that Lyttia destroyed that particular bridge harder than Tallan destroyed the bridges in chapter 14.

Kaga has an extremely unhealthy, often disturbing perception of relationships.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

The one in Fire Emblem Awakening. The one who went into a parallel universe and just stayed there. Even after the dark dragon that terrorizes her people was killed and no longer a factor.

Code Name S.T.E.A.M. Lucina is cool. I mean, she saves the queen of England from aliens of the lovecraftian variety. Not that I necessarily have a lot of love for the British monarchy, but that's neither her nor there.

1 minute ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

ok, boomer

😛

The one who went into a parallel universe and just stayed there.

yeah let's just return to the dead world instead of protecting the live one. Makes total sense.

You made me defend Awakening, that's a first

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

kinda love how you managed to turn this into another Awakening rant.

Me with cold steel back then

you with 3 Houses

Armagon with Persona

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I think he's missing the part where everybody in the future died. Lucina had nothing to return to anyways.

kinda love how you managed to turn this into another Awakening rant.

Even I don't rant about Persona 5 this much.

I liked the part where what's his face saw his sister dancing as a slave and got a boner out of it.

I mean he went on a journey to fix himself but damn Kaga.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I kinda love how you managed to turn this into another Awakening rant.

If you make a comparison to illustrate a point, it's always important to pick something that a potential audience would know about. In general this means sticking to mainstream franchises. But this is specifically a Fire Emblem forum, so it makes sense to reference Fire Emblem if possible.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Implications aside, it's also just really boring.
I mean you have this really interesting relationship setup, but it's turned into something extremely generic. I find that to be really unfortunate.

5 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

The one in Fire Emblem Awakening. The one who went into a parallel universe and just stayed there. Even after the dark dragon that terrorizes her people was killed and no longer a factor.

Code Name S.T.E.A.M. Lucina is cool. I mean, she saves the queen of England from aliens of the lovecraftian variety. Not that I necessarily have a lot of love for the British monarchy, but that's neither her nor there.

Her solo ending states she may have returned to her own future. So that's a bit too fast to judge that she abandoned it if there's a non-zero chance that she, indeed, returned there.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Me with cold steel back then

you with 3 Houses

Armagon with Persona

You with western media

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

I liked the part where what's his face saw his sister dancing as a slave and got a boner out of it.

I mean he went on a journey to fix himself but damn Kaga.

I thought that one was like... kinda sorta okay because they could've very easily gone the "they're step siblings it's free real state" route, but instead it acknowledged it's still wrong and Bartz set out on a journey to avoid doing something stupid. The entire thing tip-toes the line between feeling like something written to disturb and written because the author got off on it, but in general I feel it comes across more like the former.

...Then Vestaria came about and he went completely mask-off.

Implications aside, it's also just really boring.
I mean you have this really interesting relationship setup, but it's turned into something extremely generic. I find that to be really unfortunate.

That's all of Vestaria. He keeps setting up really interesting relationships and turning them into horribly written, often disgusting, generic-ass romances. And he just keeps doing it, it's the biggest factor that brings down the stories for me. It feels like every two seconds he has to stop to victimize some underaged girl, or pair her up with her brother or some shit like that.

You with western media

um

what?

I never hated western media tho?

I am pretty sure i watch more western stuff than you do lol

I may hate alot of the movies of the last few years - because most the time it felt like i wasted money and time, but a few years back i was like in the cinema every week with friends, and i watch american series as much as i watch anime nowadays

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

3 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

um

what?

I never hated western media tho?

I am pretty sure i watch more western stuff than you do lol

I may hate alot of the movies of the last few years - because most the time it felt like i wasted money and time, but a few years back i was like in the cinema every week with friends, and i watch american series as much as i watch anime nowadays

I'm joking, man, I'm joking.

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

And next year is the Euros so both wester and jp media will be pushed aside for a month as it's at home!!!

I just fear our team will dissapoint...

...The euros?

Oh God, not football season again. Already?

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's all of Vestaria. He keeps setting up really interesting relationships and turning them into horribly written, often disgusting, generic-ass romances. And he just keeps doing it, it's the biggest factor that brings down the stories for me. It feels like every two seconds he has to stop to victimize some underaged girl, or pair her up with her brother or some shit like that.

Accorte is another good example. She has this really shallow, schoolgirl crush on Zade. Meanwhile Zade is a person who lives in the shadow of his famous brother that he overidolizes, and he is pushing himself really hard to do right by him. So while at first glance he might seem very mature and capable, it's mostly an image he projects. He is a lot less emotional mature than he seems. Theodel knows as much from their childhood and others like Cyltan and Ophelia can eventually tell that they are being kept at arms' length, as he just can't handle non-professional relationships.

So in short, Accorte is not crushing on the real Zade, but an image of him. Seems pretty obvious to me that her journey should be about understanding Zade and by extension her own feelings. But it's never developed beyond the initial setup.

At least Kaga most certainly recognized that Accorte as is was a boring character. But instead of making better use of what's already established, he just has her deal with other stuff. Now she is retroactively out for revenge against Genvandel, who apparently killed her mother. And that's what she's been after the entire time.
Also the entire stuff about her brother, who apparently killed Roland.

5 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Yes next summer, and Germany is the host.

Shit. That's gonna be so annoying.

Edited by BrightBow