Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

3 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Finally, now I can tell Sooks not to read something.

Actually I’ve been somewhat spoiled on this, I THINK I know who it is but it doesn’t make any sense at the same time

11 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

There's a storm scheduled to hit us this weekend. Fun times ahead...

Stay safe!

• Replies 180.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Ah i see where i mixed it up. There is a border with Arizona, to the east, and it's like a tiny strip of land. Like a little bit east of Mexicali is Yuma, just like in that one movie i saw

Yep, that bit of border is the Colorado River.

Learning geography is fun because i'm seeing Mexicali and literally like across the street (border) is Calexico.

So literal, actual houses in both Mexicali and Calexico have the border wall across the street. Though I don't think there's any alignment yet, so no people saying hi from across the wall while in their front yards, heh.

1280px-MexicaliMetroNight.jpg

and i'm kinda chuckling at how bigger Mexicali is from Calexico. Also San Diego/Tijuana

1280px-Border_USA_Mexico.jpg

Fascinating stuff (for those who don't know, Tijuana is on the right).

Both cities have like 85%~ of the state's population. The peninsula, even today, is quite depopulated, with the highest concentrations of people being at both ends. Due to how remote we are, we are more in contact with California than the rest of our own country. So yeah, places like Mexicali and Tijuana are big... while the likes of Calexico and Otay / San Ysidro (since it's what's on the border, San Diego is still a bit away) aren't. Even then, Mexicali mostly got big because the capital was moved from Tijuana to here. Mainly since we are the easiest place to access to the rest of the country by land. Since getting to the rest of the state means crossing the Sierra de Juarez, which even today still have their perils to drive through.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Jesus Christ.

64c4051c048ff200190d2928?width=2000&format=jpeg&auto=webp230806-arizonaheatwave-133pjpg-924802.jpg

This ain't right.

Saguaro cacti are precious, with a lifespan upwards of 150 perhaps even 200 years. You can be punished under Arizonan law for damaging one of these.

Those Hawaiian wildfires are genuinely distressing. Shit looks like the place got bombed into oblivion.

They're also the deadliest wildfires in the US in more than a century. About 1000 people are still reportedly missing too.

One anecdote I've heard is of an artist (Ruby Mazur I see is his name, responsible lots of music album cover artwork) who was just about to open a gallery in Lahaina. The flames destroyed over 100 of his works from over 50 years of labor. He is old, he has survived multiple rounds of cancer, he doesn't have the time to simply replace the losses with new memories. An artist's legacy for eternity is their art, this has to be soul-crushing.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

21 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Since getting to the rest of the state means crossing the Sierra de Juarez, which even today still have their perils to drive through.

Is there a water route (though probably less efficient now that I think about it)?

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Saguaro cacti are precious, with a lifespan upwards of 150 perhaps even 200 years

The longer something lives, the harder it is to replace.

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

They're also the deadliest wildfires in the US in more than a century. About 1000 people are still reportedly missing too.

People were jumping into the ocean, I wouldn't be shocked if some of them got swept away by the currents or simply lost the energy to stay afloat.

That's what makes this worse than Cali's wildfires. Cause Californians are kinda used to them, Hawaiians aren't. And where do they go?

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The flames destroyed over 100 of his works from over 50 years of labor. He is old, he has survived multiple rounds of cancer, he doesn't have the time to simply replace the losses with new memories. An artist's legacy for eternity is their art, this has to be soul-crushing.

I think I would just lose the will to live at that point.

29 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Is there a water route (though probably less efficient now that I think about it)?

That's how it used to be. The peninsula was traveled to by ship for centuries. Before Tijuana, the capital was Ensenada. Tijuana mainly grew due to being a waypoint to San Diego and because the border existed. Even Mexicali only came to be because the Colorado River Land Company started growing cotton in the area.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

Those Hawaiian wildfires are genuinely distressing. Shit looks like the place got bombed into oblivion.

This is why your country needs a few less soldiers and a few more firefighters. You can't shoot natural disasters.

My sympathies to anyone reading this that lives in Hawaii. I believe one of our resident mods lives there, but I'd be surprised if any of 'em set foot in this cesspool lol

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

This is why your country needs a few less soldiers and a few more firefighters. You can't shoot natural disasters.

It's not even that, it spread way too quickly with way less room. Firefighters have enough trouble dealing with wildfires in California, now try doing that on a tiny island.

gsdx-20230818105109.png

This sounds wrong.

I get it's because it involves two characters, but it's still a terrible choice of words.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Raideen finally back in SRW!? Is the whole issue regarding Akira Kamiya's voicework finally resolved!?

I have seen that Raideen was once a very old staple of SRW, which then just stopped showing up. Returns after prolonged absences are nice, even if it might mean no new in-battle quips b/c the VAs are probably dead or retired.

32 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Unsurprisingly, the Xenogears comments/comparisons shot up once the mech got revealed, heh.

White, accents of blue, and the two "wings" behind the back which can emit "wing extensions" of light. I can see it. Kinda like a Xenogears that perhaps lost half its power in some epic battle and but survived in a weakened state; this isn't as voluminous like a peacock in the back. (I could also see maybe some other mech influences? That Code Geass Lancelot siN comes to mind- white, blue, gold, and wings.)

You said Another Eden is Masato Kato's work? He did do some work on Xenogears (and the first Baten Kaitos too), perhaps the design of his former colleagues lingered in him?

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

I have seen that Raideen was once a very old staple of SRW, which then just stopped showing up. Returns after prolonged absences are nice, even if it might mean no new in-battle quips b/c the VAs are probably dead or retired.

Akira is only retired, hasn't died yet... but yes, it's likely gonna stick to reusing voice clips. Which is probably fine for DD. Time would tell if a mainline game brings back any of Kamiya's appearances back.

Yeah, last time Raideen showed up was in SRW Alpha 3 (well, technically it was Scramble Commander 2, but SRPG wise Alpha 3 was the last). Also the last appearance of Daimos, another Kamiya participation. Kamiya's voice would last appear in Z1, being the last time Classic Getter was used. By that point, he had already retired, so Ryoma only had reused voice clips. And now, it's back thanks to DD.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

White, accents of blue, and the two "wings" behind the back which can emit "wing extensions" of light. I can see it. Kinda like a Xenogears that perhaps lost half its power in some epic battle and but survived in a weakened state; this isn't as voluminous like a peacock in the back. (I could also see maybe some other mech influences? That Code Geass Lancelot siN comes to mind- white, blue, gold, and wings.)

You said Another Eden is Masato Kato's work? He did do some work on Xenogears (and the first Baten Kaitos too), perhaps the design of his former colleagues lingered in him?

Probably. It would certainly be deliberate, though as far as Kato revisiting his past works, AE is mainly Chrono. But perhaps he may be adding a bit more of the rest now.

46 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

This sounds wrong.

Sounds better than Kick in the Nads, at least.

---

htJp0Qg.jpg

Lv7UyMD.jpg

I like her.

Especially with the follow-up: "You need that evidence for the Landsmeet, but you also need a stronger candidate for the throne. You need me. I am the daughter of Ferelden's greatest general. Who do you think truly ruled this nation for the last five years? Cailan? I am what this country needs, not an untrained king who does not even want the throne. I can help you stop my father."

In short: "Cailan was an idiot, Alistair is a little bitch, I have been and will be the best woman for the job. You should help me to get rid of my father playing regent instead of putting that donkey on the throne." Cunning politicking without actually murdering anybody. Take notes, Bhelen.

I7A6dZp.jpg

Glyph of Repulsion is still very fun for when there's no melee guy around.

--

42 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

It's really nice to hear the voices again.

That is more Buu saga than I ever hoped to get after the brief period of hope after episode 60.

28 minutes ago, gnip said:

In short: "Cailan was an idiot, Alistair is a little bitch, I have been and will be the best woman for the job. You should help me to get rid of my father playing regent instead of putting that donkey on the throne." Cunning politicking without actually murdering anybody. Take notes, Bhelen.

She's wonderful. Actually, the entire Landsmeet arc is awesome, look forward to great things in the immediate future.

Case 4 of PW: AA is pretty cool. Edgeworth needed the backstory and it was great, it at least helps “I must always get a guilty verdict” make a little bit more sense. Phoenix needed the backstory and it was cringe. A class trial? Seriously? What teacher consents to and sets up for the humiliation and shaming of one of their third graders by and in front of the rest of the them? Edgeworth’s cool backstory also kind of hurts Phoenix’s motivation because Phoenix is all “I know Edgeworth… he wouldn’t do this!” but bro knew him for a couple months in 3rd grade. That’s like the most insane “Actually, I completely understand and respect the villain, as a human being” scenario ever. The actual villain for this case is cool tho, he’s still another psychopath like the rest of them BUT it’s actually well written, like an actual psychotic person instead of cartoon villain, and his role in the case is very interesting. Prosecutor as the murderer isn’t really surprising considering this series’ depiction of prosecutors, but it’s still cool. Phoenix needs to learn to report crimes that happen to him tho. The old dude being Yogi was super predictable but it was cool (I’ve learned that I’m kind of a sucker for characters pretending to know less than they do, especially when their pretending is itself a character trope like senile old man) and I also predicted the parrot would end up on the stand just because that fits the tone of this game but man… that’s one of the best moments in this game, parrot best witness, 10/10. Maya gets some development which she kinda needed and then the credits role even tho there’s a whole other case. Not sure why, I mean that’s quite a bit of content left presumably.

Missile is the best character in the game and was robbed of doing anything useful.

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Not sure why, I mean that’s quite a bit of content left presumably.

The case did not exist in the GBA version. It was added to the DS port. This is because it was around the time Apollo Justice was coming out, so the case was also meant to have some tie-ins.

Edited by Acacia Sgt