• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, Lightcosmo said:

Right! Have faith!

*Wraith limply holds an empty whisky bottle in his right hand as his glazed eyes stare off into nothingness*

Edited by Sidereal Wraith

I had no doubt Bantu was stronger in FE3 than in the shitty DS remake, but I had no idea just by how much.
Transformation doubles his HP, gives +2 movement and a defense negating 2 range breath attack. Dragonstones have plenty of durability, so I doubt that's much of a handicap.
Low luck might be a problem. Considering that resources that address luck are probably better invested into Sirius.

On 11/6/2023 at 4:55 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Finished GrimGrimoire OnceMore.😀

Overall, a delightful little Vanillaware experience.😄 It took me only 13 hours, so maybe not exactly a game you'd want to buy at full $50 price, but I don't regret it at all. TBF, the game as I had read the other day was created over 6-12 months, with the budget in Nippon Ichi Software's hands. Compared to the grandiose, ambitious, years-long projects of Odin Sphere at the time and 13 Sentinels later, GrimGrimoire was a quick dollop of passion.

Owing to its short length, I'm not going to talk much about the story of Lillet Blan. Things move fast, with very little filler. Yet nonetheless the story caught my attention was fairly solid I felt, to its very end I enjoyed it. Vanillaware has shown a fondness for multiple perspectives in storytelling, GrimGrimoire doesn't do that. Yet Vanillaware was still able to throw some spice into the plot. The small cast of characters isn't the most developed, again no doubt owing to the reason the plot is succinct- the very limited development time and budget. Nonetheless, nobody was annoying or bad and they all had some significance, Lillet was nice 🙂, and I was amused by Advocat.😈 You could, perhaps, on some level regard GrimGrimoire as a short VisualGrimoire.

...However, that would be incorrect. As GrimGrimoire is a 2D side-scrolling Real-Time Strategy game. Between every two plot scenes is a battle, so the text-to-gameplay ratio is very even. OnceMore edition also adds Trial Maps for some additional challenges. GrimGrimoire gives you four schools of magic, each containing 3 Runes from which you can summon Familiars and Symbols. Each branch of magic gets 4 Familiars and 1 Symbol (think of it as a magical stationary turret), for a total 20 different units you can deploy and may end up fighting against on any map. Victory in every battle is the same- destroy all the enemy's Runes, and don't let all of yours be destroyed. Sometimes you don't have to destroy the Runes and can just survive for a certain time duration.

Since I felt overwhelmed by the entire system early on, I turned the difficulty down to Easy (I could adjust it at any time in any direction). That made things too easy.😆Nonetheless, I enjoyed GrimGrimoire from a gameplay perspective, much more than I did 13 Sentinels. I found it very charming, I liked the general premise of laying down magical Runes and conjuring up my fantasy army. While the backdrops were all the same dusty old stonework, the Familiars themselves oozed classic Vanillaware style. Which is more than can be said for 13 Sentinels's pixelated jumbles. While I very rarely used the Symbols, the 16 Familiars felt fairly balanced. And there was more than one solution for dealing with any specific type of foe whilst still retaining individual unit identity -flexible strategizing. OnceMore adds simple skill trees (and a single use per battle of one of four Grand Magic spells) for strengthening the Familiars and Symbols, and which can provide some of them with new utilities.

-Those new abilities aren't available right from the start of each battle. You have to level up the Runes by spending more Mana on them. Mana is obtained from Crystals on a map once sanctified by one of the four gathering-type Familiars. What the game tells you, but doesn't tell you up front, is that each Crystal contains a finite amount of Mana -and one little fault of the gameplay is that it doesn't tell you how much Mana each Crystal contains. Mana being finite (although more plentiful on Easy, probably less on Hard or unlocked-upon-story-completion Hell difficulty), you have a limit imposed on you every battle as to which Runes/Familiars you want to use and how much you can upgrade the Runes. On the higher two difficulties, this probably forces to think carefully about what to deploy in every fight. Three other things I'll comment on regarding the RTS gameplay- the first being the battle maps, being in a tower, have a great deal of verticality to them. Every battle is also fog of war, which is overwhelming the first time you play any map and don't know where the enemy Runes and familiars are or what they're packing. And lastly, you've three non-auto save slots and you can save any time mid-battle, allowing you to reload from an earlier point if you messed up as much as you want.

For the music, it was forgettable yet satisfactory Basiscape stuff, as expected from Vanillaware. The very small world of GrimGrimoire -the story is entirely contained within Silver Star Tower with nooooooo exploration at all- leaves it devoid of Vanillaware's Most Glorious Scenery. The characters and aforementioned Familiars are all pretty as usual though. The game also comes packed with every bit of artwork from the original PS2 GrimGrimoire's release. And, Vanillaware went well beyond the Call to Dev by cramming the game with brand-new official artwork (each artist responsible individually accredited), which whimsically indirectly help flesh out the snow globe-sized world (quite the contrast from Odin Sphere) of GrimGrimoire.😁

So OnceMore, I'll say I enjoyed this Vanillaware experience.😃 Not exactly a full-five course meal if you aren't played as sloooowly IRL as I did, it's more of an... aperitif.🍾

Nice to see you enjoyed it.

Imma see if i can get it by the end of the year or something.

4 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

This is Miyamoto.

The real question is... who will play Tingle?

Ngl disapointed to see they're going the live-action route. 

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Nice to see you enjoyed it.

Imma see if i can get it by the end of the year or something.

Hopefully you'll find it quaint as well, whenever you get around to it. I think I warned/informed you enough about what you'd be getting into.😅

It does indirectly make me feel a tiny bit better about the prospects of Unicorn Overlord, even though GG has basically nothing in common besides a fantasy setting.😆 That said, one of the Familiars in GG is Unicorns.🦄 Upgrade the Wicca Rune to max and you can get two for the price of one, allowing you to spam pointy-head armies such that you could loosely call yourself an overlord of unicorns.😛

...Actually, it would be cute if they slipped GG into UO's greater world. Talk of the nearby friendly kingdom aside, GG having such a small setting would make it flexible enough to squeeze in elsewhere. -Although NIS might need to sign off on the cameo, which could make it very unlikely to ever happen.😅

I'm so bored.

19 hours ago, BrightBow said:

I had no doubt Bantu was stronger in FE3 than in the shitty DS remake, but I had no idea just by how much.
Transformation doubles his HP, gives +2 movement and a defense negating 2 range breath attack. Dragonstones have plenty of durability, so I doubt that's much of a handicap.
Low luck might be a problem. Considering that resources that address luck are probably better invested into Sirius.

FE3 definitely is the dragon game. Dragons have never been as good as they are in FE3.

18 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Danny Devito?

Leonardo DiCaprio.........

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

FE3 definitely is the dragon game. Dragons have never been as good as they are in FE3.

I wish we had the "X turns transformed" mechanic again. That was neat.

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Tear Ring Saga? Don't even need to worry about dragon stones at all there.
Only downside is that the transformation ends at the start of enemy phase instead of player phase. Not that anything will survive that long against Neuron.

Man, seeing base Bantu actually being stronger than all the enemy manakete is such a beautiful sight.

Edited by BrightBow

19 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

This is Miyamoto.

The real question is... who will play Tingle?

It's hard to imagine what any generic Zelda movie would look like when it's a brand not nearly as commercialized and many games have completely different aesthetics.

At least with Mario they had the excuse of using a game that rarely has much story, while with a Zelda movie I can't imagine watching something like that and not walk out thinking "Thanks, but if I wanted a good Zelda plot I'd play a Zelda game."

Mad respect tbh.

32 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

It's hard to imagine what any generic Zelda movie would look like when it's a brand not nearly as commercialized and many games have completely different aesthetics.

At least with Mario they had the excuse of using a game that rarely has much story, while with a Zelda movie I can't imagine watching something like that and not walk out thinking "Thanks, but if I wanted a good Zelda plot I'd play a Zelda game."

They could've gotten Peter Jackson to do it for an epic LOTR-style Zelda. Alas.....

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:
They could've gotten Peter Jackson to do it for an epic LOTR-style Zelda. Alas.....

So close from having Link sidestepping through New Zealand on the big screen.

33 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

That's never a good sign!

It's this course I'm doing. It's incredibly boring and I feel like I'm not learning anything at all. Though I'm not sure if to blame the course for being bad or myself for being too lazy and inattentive.

Trying to groom Ryan into becoming a Sniper has just not gone well. Really should have feed all those kills to Gordon. With his starting level he is practically a mini-Tomas anyway.

Definitely quite a few things I would have liked to do differently. Maybe I should restart.