• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

45 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Going to an opera with my grandmother. Big young man vibes. Very youthful.

Try to enjoy!😀

I tasted a sampling of opera back in college. Turned out I didn't care for it. TBF, I'm not fond of modern musicals at all and opera is simply the early modern-originating incarnation of the same thing.

As for the bolded, I get what you mean. When I did attend opera, and when I still attend ballet, as my eyes scan the room and observe my fellow audience members, I am left thinking- should I consider myself young, or old?😅 There's an argument for both ways I'd say.

Also, speaking of opera and Spain, there was the case of the famed Farinelli. An Italian castrato (castrated before puberty so he could hit higher notes) opera singer who stopped in Spain, intending to be there only briefly. King Philip V however happened to suffer serious bouts of depression relatable, and Farinelli was enlisted as the king's medicine. Every night (His Majesty's mental health was such that he slept by the sun and held court by the moon), Farinelli would sing a few arias or whatnot to soothe the melancholic king's soul. This went on for years, almost a decade, until Philip V died. Still, being forced to serve the Spanish king wasn't the worse thing, he got the benefits of royal patronage and even personal friendship. Farinelli remained popular with the Phil V's son and successor Ferdinand VI, and retired something of a major celebrity across Europe. The most famed castrato there ever was, possibly in part to the very unique Spanish connection, atop his own singing talents.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Does the lead has blue hair and wields a sword?

No, he had brown hair. He did wield a sword at one point, but lost miserably and had to pull out the ol' flintlock.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Try to enjoy!😀

I tasted a sampling of opera back in college. Turned out I didn't care for it. TBF, I'm not fond of modern musicals at all and opera is simply the early modern-originating incarnation of the same thing.

I did enjoy it very much, myself. Quite beautiful stuff.

As for the bolded, I get what you mean. When I did attend opera, and when I still attend ballet, as my eyes scan the room and observe my fellow audience members, I am left thinking- should I consider myself young, or old?😅 There's an argument for both ways I'd say.

Well, I did see a good bunch of young people. Don't think many went with their grandmothers, but eh, who the fuck cares. She's the only grandma I've left.

Also, speaking of opera and Spain, there was the case of the famed Farinelli. An Italian castrato (castrated before puberty so he could hit higher notes) opera singer who stopped in Spain, intending to be there only briefly. King Philip V however happened to suffer serious bouts of depression relatable, and Farinelli was enlisted as the king's medicine. Every night (His Majesty's mental health was such that he slept by the sun and held court by the moon), Farinelli would sing a few arias or whatnot to soothe the melancholic king's soul. This went on for years, almost a decade, until Philip V died. Still, being forced to serve the Spanish king wasn't the worse thing, he got the benefits of royal patronage and even personal friendship. Farinelli remained popular with the Phil V's son and successor Ferdinand VI, and retired something of a major celebrity across Europe. The most famed castrato there ever was, possibly in part to the very unique Spanish connection, atop his own singing talents.

You always have the coolest stories. Thanks for sharing!

It's surprising to me that the Gargoyle Axe is not categorized as a Great Axe. It has such a long reach.
Plenty of poise too. Silver Knights can't even fight back against two-handed hits because they just get stunlocked by every single hit.
It's a pretty silly weapon, honestly. A massive weapon that handles like a light weapon.
Only downside is that it looks really worn-out. Large chunks of it's blade are broken off. As if it was more likely to kill enemies through infection rather than cutting through them.

Edited by BrightBow

Okay, time to start the next Clannad route...

... or should I play something else for a bit? I was eyeing Omori. Maybe after one more Clannad route. Ideally I would want to do the Hikkikomori run before the year ends...

Oh hey, finally found Kappei!

Poor guy, so got the shortest straw in the adaptations. Even Kaginado never used him again despite acknowledging he had never showed up outside the VN.

gsdx-20231114203324.pnggsdx-20231114203334.png

Bestiality.

This was so cringe my cheekbones ached. But at least it was "good" cringe?😆

gsdx-20231114205043.pnggsdx-20231114204333.pnggsdx-20231114204339.png

gsdx-20231114205420.png

This looks gruesome.

gsdx-20231114211037.png

Bonding event battle (which are always extremely easy and short) wherein you get to actually use two Punis, no human rider or anything. Just a basic attack command is all they have.

gsdx-20231114213032.png

🙄

...The Punis mostly make everything better. Definitely preferring the -sometimes repetitive ofc- wacky antics of Team Raze over Team Ulrika's.

Everyone's second bonding events are done. IIRC it's four per character and a last one which locks you into that character's ending CG. Yun's second event was almost as disappointing as his first, it barely developed him, he's too normal, too mellow, too chill, compared to basically everyone else in Fall of Alchemy.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I did enjoy it very much, myself. Quite beautiful stuff.

I do appreciate all the effort that goes into opera.🧐 The orchestra, the stage and costumes, the voices of the singers themselves. (None of this can be cheap either, despite opera not exactly having a large enough audience to make it profitable.) It's just the theatrical singing itself that unfortunately doesn't jive with me.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, I did see a good bunch of young people. Don't think many went with their grandmothers, but eh, who the fuck cares. She's the only grandma I've left.

Indeed, cherish the time. And having them along had to made it incomparably better.😀

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You always have the coolest stories. Thanks for sharing!

I read about the Spanish king & the opera singer once, just a short mention in a book. I had also seen something sensationalist on TV about the men sans-testosterone-factories years before that too. And what other opportunity would I have to bring up singing eunuchs?😝

I wouldn't actually mind having a castrato in Fire Emblem. (Not that I see FE itself ever having one. Kaga Saga is a little gritter, so a remote chance. Fan games have no limits.) Castratos don't become a thing until long after the Middle Ages which FE takes on the veneer of. -But opera is post-Medieval thing which Fates and Three Houses have featured. And eunuchs long predated Medieval Europe (the Roman Empire had them, if without serious importance, although Byzantium later employed a not-significant number in government; China is (in)famous for its bureaucratic use of them until fall of the Qing Dynasty (1912AD)) and are something so brutish as to be befit the conception of the Middle Ages as a not-so-nice world.

-Although the castrato I've had in mind for years wouldn't be a refresher unit. You lost your walnuts before your apple dropped, yet that isn't a guarantee you'll have a 10/10 singing voice. My FE castrato would be one of the unfortunate many. One of those who were involuntarily irreparably emasculated as a child, turned out to have an unextraordinary voice, and now circa 18-25 (older would be fine too), having been living the past decade or so a life of utter disappointment, deprived of the prospect of leaving a living legacy to boot. So yeah, forgive him if he's a little embittered.😑 I'd say life has kicked him in the 'nads, but he'd do that to me or worse for making such a low-hanging ""joke"".

Hm? Curious. I see resume in the red of a Dangopedia entry, but it's not registering. Okay, stopping for now.

---

Something of a random side-note, but I remember reading a Clannad fanfic that suddenly veered into crossover territory by mentioning Tomoya and

Spoiler

Ushio

made a trip to Inaba. Yes, the Persona 4 Inaba. Is there any other? And when I think about it... it actually matches. P4 takes place during 2011. Clannad meanwhile begins in 2003, as seen with Sunohara's calendar. Or at least, it's generally accepted it could be. Curiously, I don't think the calendar is seen in the anime. Anyway, considering the passage of time (Tomoya graduates in early 2004, gets married early 2005, etc.), then after that happens (in the anime at least, after New Year's, so on early 2006) and we have the five-year time skip, the year would be... 2011.

Anyway, said trip is never shown, but the author stated maybe they would write it for a future fic, or had the desire for it at least. That fanfic was made years ago, and the author seemingly stopped being active some time afterwards, so... I guess that will never be. Big shame, because I really would've liked to read about that trip, heh. What can I say? Big fan of crossovers. XD

Hmm...

16 hours ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

…Which game in the series murdered your childhood Shrimp-kun?

When it comes to FE story writing? All of them.

Specifically? FE4- Loptyr encompasses everything wrong with FE storytelling

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I do appreciate all the effort that goes into opera.🧐 The orchestra, the stage and costumes, the voices of the singers themselves. (None of this can be cheap either, despite opera not exactly having a large enough audience to make it profitable.) It's just the theatrical singing itself that unfortunately doesn't jive with me.

Well, I don't know about the audience bit. The theatre was choke full yesterday. Not that it was a big grand theatre, but then, that might just add to the merit.

And hey it's not like entry was cheap either, it was cheap by opera standards but goodness 35 bucks

Indeed, cherish the time. And having them along had to made it incomparably better.😀

It sure did.

Although the castrato I've had in mind for years wouldn't be a refresher unit. You lost your walnuts before your apple dropped, yet that isn't a guarantee you'll have a 10/10 singing voice. My FE castrato would be one of the unfortunate many. One of those who were involuntarily irreparably emasculated as a child, turned out to have an unextraordinary voice, and now circa 18-25 (older would be fine too), having been living the past decade or so a life of utter disappointment, deprived of the prospect of leaving a living legacy to boot. So yeah, forgive him if he's a little embittered.😑 I'd say life has kicked him in the 'nads, but he'd do that to me or worse for making such a low-hanging ""joke"".

Honestly that's a pretty metal concept for a character. Too bad FE does not have the creativity or inclination for risk-taking needed to have a character like this, and Kaga is too busy making all of his underaged little girls get with their adult brothers.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, I don't know about the audience bit. The theatre was choke full yesterday. Not that it was a big grand theatre, but then, that might just add to the merit.

And hey it's not like entry was cheap either, it was cheap by opera standards but goodness 35 bucks

Well, I had watched *manages to unexpectedly find it on YouTube* this:

The vid' is ten years old now I see, but at the 7:34 mark, the guy says "opera is always in debt". -Although I'm not sure if he was just being befittingly dramatic.

Hits a little differently now that've become very familiar with the Met. Not for opera specifically, but merely being inside their theatrical home on several occasions brings me a little closer to the opera company.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

25 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

You keep buying their games, don't you? XD

I mean, I'm not saying they're bad because they lack stuff like this, or that they absolutely need to do stuff like this to be good. Heck, Berwick Saga doesn't either and we know how I feel about that game. I'm just saying, a game that did have really unconventional characters would get points just for that.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The vid' is ten years old now I see, but at the 7:34 mark, the guy says "opera is always in debt". -Although I'm not sure if he was just being befittingly dramatic.

I wouldn't be surprised by that either. As you said, the production value is high.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'm just saying, a game that did have really unconventional characters would get points just for that.

I'm of the category that doesn't give games free passes just because they have characters that stray a bit from the norm. XD

I mean, if it's dessert, then it's the thing that tops off a good meal (rest of the game).

But even so I wouldn't consider the story the dessert in this allegory. Perhaps.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

53 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

I'm of the category that doesn't give games free passes just because they have characters that stray a bit from the norm. XD

Who said anything about free passes? I just think it'd be cool, that's all.

Also I'm not talking "stray a bit from the norm" here, I'm talking shit like, I dunno, conjointed twins that work as assassins, or a bipolar character struggling with their condition but still being one of the good guys, or a reanimated corpse with the barest minimum agency trying to maintain what little sense of self they have and find a purpose in their undead existence. You know, things like that. Things that are truly different, not just "dude but he cracks jokes" or "dude but he lost his mom instead of his dad."

And, again, it's not something that'd make or break a game by itself, I just think it'd be neat.

29 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

tbf, playing FE for the writing is like eating ice cream to get full

Not according to the majority of the fanbase, it seems

Edited by Saint Rubenio

It's not like I play through games and are like "wow it didn't have any weird characters, 0/10", but remember how I lost my mind when the random cat I'd been chasing around in Exit Fate started talking and proceeded to join my otherwise human party as a playable character? Those moments are so fucking good. I'd love to see them a bit more often in games.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

28 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's not like I play through games and are like "wow it didn't have any weird characters, 0/10", but remember how I lost my mind when the random cat I'd been chasing around in Exit Fate started talking and proceeded to join my otherwise human party as a playable character? Those moments are so fucking good. I'd love to see them a bit more often in games.

Ruben's a quirky lil guy

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

tbf, playing FE for the writing is like eating ice cream to get full

I thought people ate ice cream because they want to die, much like FE fans.

44 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I would ask about your personal favorite FE story, but I know you're just gonna shill a Kaga Saga game even if I tell you not to.

Won't be long now guys.

Gunter Bad is almost upon us.

3 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

I would ask about your personal favorite FE story, but I know you're just gonna shill a Kaga Saga game even if I tell you not to.

If not Berwick Saga, it has to be a toss-up between Thracia and Sacred Stones. Or Conquest, if we're counting "so bad it's good" territory.

49 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What, reading repeated stories is not riveting gameplay?

5 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

I thought people ate ice cream because they want to die

Live is literally unbearable without Ice shush