• Replies 177.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

I saw Spooder-Man: Across the Spooder-Verse, Miguel did nothing wrong. It was good, but I can't judge it fully because it's just the first half of one bigger movie (aka it's Trails). It's already the longest American animated film, too.

I like how Spot goes from a funny joke villain to a funny cosmic horror. All the different versions of Spider-Man were fun, they even included the one that sounds like Marth, but I wish they included Marvel vs. Capcom Spider-Man. He could say "Guess I'd better call for backup", tag in Vergil, and then Miles hears boss music.

Why did they include Peni if she was only going to get one line of dialogue? She's living up to her Evangelion roots more so maybe she accidentally caused Third Impact back in her universe.

14 hours ago, Armagon said:

You can go to the final battle frame one and be instantly KO'd.

It would be funny if they did it like Breath of the Wild and you also have to fight all the bosses you skipped.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The formula that allowed underleveled characters to shoot up to the level of the enemies vanquished in one or two battles flat, while the growth of aptly leveled characters halts until stronger enemies appear. You know, the really fucking awesome formula that neutralized any need to grind and ensured swapping characters in the team was easy peasy? That made exploring fun alongside the bribery system?

Hey, you know what other JRPG series does that?

Estelle_Bright_-_Portrait_0502_(FC).png

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Fighting random encounters costs you a precious, unrenewable resource.

Oh I see, it's actually Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

Edited by Lightchao42

43 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Hey, you know what other JRPG series does that?

Estelle_Bright_-_Portrait_0502_(FC).png

That one also didn't do anything with its story that caught my interest even slightly. Oh, and the combat was completely and utterly mindless for all 10 hours I played.

...No criticism intended towards it though, it was just not my jam. Too lighthearted, too silly adventury, too coming of agey, too boy meets girly, and yes, too slow. For reference, Exit Fate stars a dude pushing his 30s who is decidedly more mature, experienced and collected than basically all JRPG protagonists, and spends a good chunk of its runtime being about old people concocting logical (enough) strategies to beat one another. And politics. 75 playable characters, too. It's a complete outlier and that's why I liked it.

43 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Oh I see, it's actually Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

Not quite to that extent, as I can just walk back to the inn to get my mana back, but it's still beyond annoying - and unlike Sticker Star, I do need to fight here, because otherwise I fall behind in levels and... well, what has happened happens.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

10 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

You say that without having played CS at all lol.

I don't deny that Counter Strike is worse. In fact, CS does not factor into the discussion whatsoever.

All I'm saying is that Sky, in a vacuum, just wasn't all that fun to me personally for the time I was able to give it before losing interest entirely. And that I liked Exit Fate, an unrelated JRPG with vastly different priorities and ways of doing things, better - precisely because of all those things it does differently; not necessarily better, but different in a way that was more to my liking.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

57 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I saw that one.

Saphir has the best female design in the series. Haters gonna hate.

I shall be Ruben's vice president for this campaign.

Saphir has the best female design in the series. Deniers be seething til they turn 65 at 35.

9 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hah! Lotta good it's done me so far, the rugged continental charm.

Come to the U.S. Rubenio, there you’ll have all the luck in the world.

Edited by Sidereal Wraith

Goddammit. This might be the end of the run already. I really cannot beat this boss. I've managed to beat two of the wall's pieces by... basically getting lucky with the wall's maneuvers, but then I can't restore my mana because haha limited mana items, and then everyone dies and I don't have the means to revive them. Grinding would give me a bit of wiggle room, but EXP from encounters is gained at a glacial pace. Pretty sure it'd take over 10 battles just to get one full level. And of course, I'd have to keep running back and forth and back and forth to the inn to recover my stats without wasting items.

Too bad. I really wanted to see what this twist was about. I suppose there's always the LP. Would've rather played it, but I'm not spending 2 hours grinding. Might try again tomorrow and see if I can squeeze a win, though... In all honesty, even if I do, what then? Next boss is going to be the same deal.

12 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

There's a reason the grand majority of small devs do their games on PC and only later, IF the game is successful enough, consider undergoing the ordeal of a console port. If you have to pick one platform, PC is just easier and more convenient for the devs.

Not in Japan, which is where this company is based. Like i said, PC gaming is a minority in Japan unlike overseas. There's a reason why it's somewhat common to see Japanese games get PC ports overseas but not in the home country. Also for the longest time, PC gaming was generally associated with VNs, the spicy ones included.

Granted it's gotten bigger because consoles are now just pre-built PCs essentially but PC gaming is generally now used for multiplayer games. MMOs especially. When it comes to single-player, consoles are the preferred. Especially because it seems PC gaming is much more expensive over there. I mean, always has been but like you will be paying more in yen if you want to build a PC over there.

So when small Japanese dev is making a game, a console would likely be prioritized over PC. Sure the sales from overseas PC gamers would be good but if there's going to be a PC port, it's uh, not gonna be done by them.

I typed all of this and it still doesn't explain why Vanillaware is putting a game on Xbox.

8 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

I like how Spot goes from a funny joke villain to a funny cosmic horror.

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Wasn't even aware this existed. Interesting.

5 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

g158ra3vxl1c1.png

She drank the Grimace Shake.

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Not in Japan, which is where this company is based. Like i said, PC gaming is a minority in Japan unlike overseas. There's a reason why it's somewhat common to see Japanese games get PC ports overseas but not in the home country. Also for the longest time, PC gaming was generally associated with VNs, the spicy ones included.

Granted it's gotten bigger because consoles are now just pre-built PCs essentially but PC gaming is generally now used for multiplayer games. MMOs especially. When it comes to single-player, consoles are the preferred. Especially because it seems PC gaming is much more expensive over there. I mean, always has been but like you will be paying more in yen if you want to build a PC over there.

So when small Japanese dev is making a game, a console would likely be prioritized over PC. Sure the sales from overseas PC gamers would be good but if there's going to be a PC port, it's uh, not gonna be done by them.

I always forget Japan is ass-backwards

Stupid economy.

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I typed all of this and it still doesn't explain why Vanillaware is putting a game on Xbox.

Bad business advice?

21 minutes ago, Armagon said:

She drank the Grimace Shake.

All jokes aside, I'm pretty sure her answer would probably just be "King Morion."

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I always forget Japan is ass-backwards

Best commercial train system in the world though, we could use some of that.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Bad business advice?

Atlus probably.

Just now, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Steam sales kinda meh

anyway,

@Armagon

j4VkmrY.png

Anything to look out for? 😛

Look out for peak.

Ok more seriously, there's an equip called Prevasion, which lets you avoid damage in exchange for EP (also tanks your score). You can take this off however.

Everything else is fairly self-explanatory. Look for the Chaos Emeralds in each of the main stages tho.

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I hope at the very least for peak music.

Be good at the game and you'll get it.

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Btw, wasn't there something about options and versions? Or was it a different game?

The 3DS version had the two versions of the game, the original TL and the one with actual effort. The Steam port that came later had the latter so adding the original may not be an option?

You're playing the right one if you get the dialouge as the stage progresses.

So I ended up dusting out the old Exit Fate save files to console myself. Fought a couple war battles, did a couple encounters, played a bit of blackjack.

It then hit me I had whipped out a JRPG and did random encounters. For fun.

I can never play traditional JRPGs again. It's all over. There will never be another Exit Fate. Wish I'd realized this before I wasted 60 bucks on Octopath II those months ago... Shucks. I'm gonna regret that the rest of my life.

24 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Wasn't even aware this existed. Interesting.

Neither was I.

The description says it happens three years before the start of Xenogears, and Grahf shows up. It doesn't say whether this happened before or after Fei woke up in Lahan. Leaves me slightly curious how it describes the Seeker of Power, although he's probably still in full armor either way.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Atlus probably.

I was thinking just that. Didn't they showcase a new Persona 5 game in a Microsoft direct? MicroDollars must be tempting -although the odd thing is Microsoft doesn't care that much about Xbox, since PCs run on their OS and GamePass covers it too.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ok more seriously, there's an equip called Prevasion, which lets you avoid damage in exchange for EP (also tanks your score). You can take this off however.

Don't you have to 100% the game because of one thingy? I thought I read that years ago (I never bought the game).

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Don't you have to 100% the game because of one thingy? I thought I read that years ago (I never bought the game).

You do. It....has the Prevasion effect but for reasons it doesn't matter for contextual reasons.

7 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

That's a strange thing to read ngl XD

You get used to it.

5 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

That's a strange thing to read ngl XD

From what I remember hearing, the original 3DS translation cut out the mid-stage dialogue, so no banter as you're shooting, jumping, and electrifying things. Why they cut it out, I do not know. But I suppose Armagon's assertion of laziness is well-informed.😀