Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

14 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

RFEE01_2023-11-24_16-29-38.png?ex=657bdf17&is=65696a17&hm=d37c10a5dbb83f3179c9005e1631ea1b8ad7b19565797e1b784ac81221988d42&

"Write a more dynamic and interesting reason for the conflict!"

An very simple alternative I have always thought would work is simply that Begnion offered Pelleas resources Daein desperately needed to get back on its feet in exchange for joining the war...

For the character that was more or less a prop in part one I'm only thinking now how interesting of a life this guy probably led before he became King. I wonder what Pelleas was doing during the Mad King War or where he was taken to by his mother and why. She was obviously from the dragon tribe I knew that from the beginning and I'm sure we'll hear more about it then but he didn't seem to know that, nor did he know he was mixed race like Micaiah.

There are some events only possible on a second playthrough, with some extremely specific requirements, including specific Path of Radiance support transfer requirements to even see, which frame a lot of things in a different light here. When you are done with the game, it might be worth looking it up, or letting some of us veterans spoil it for you.

Part of me wonders if a character was robbed here because of the Death Pact and him exiting the story before we got to learn much about him while he was still alive, but on the other hand his death and his willingness to die almost is what makes him interesting to me. Now that he's dead and can't share his secrets I can't help but wonder what exactly was going through his head before and after becoming King. He knew he wasn't ready, we know that much.

You do get to learn a little more posthumously, and on a second playthrough you have the option to let him live (and recruit him), to see a bit more.

Unlike many parental deaths in this series, I find this one more emotional than all of them just because it was the other way around and I didn't expect it. Pelleas was not a forced to be likable mentor figure that was practically mechanized in the narrative to die at a specific point early on to be specifically motivate the main character who would forget about them 2 seconds later, he was a kid who didn't know what he was doing and was just trying to help his people. His death is late into the game at this point he was a well established character. I feel more for this side character in losing her son than I do for pretty much all avatars in Fire Emblem whose parents were axed early on, especially since he didn't need to die, at least not this early.

That is a solid point. It is a bit undercut by secret second playthrough secret reveals, but there is something compelling about him offering his life for his people, only for it to come to naught, with his mother morning the tragedy of outliving their child. I guess that is a morbid part of it too, that eventually most children outlive their parents, with parents outliving the child having that extra tinge of tragedy due to it being more unlikely.

RFEE01_2023-11-30_21-01-15.png?ex=657bf2d1&is=65697dd1&hm=d5a151ccfbf2810e27affaff49c53419cc57801274d47cf4adc5b0c166f2d386&

Welp, we're in it for the long haul

Part 4 isn't very long, but it is kind of interesting, especially with the Tear Ring Saga style army split at the beginning.

7 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, this particular tidbit is often described as one of the story's weakest points, so...

Personally, I find Ike's role in the story a lot worse, but that's because I'm the only person in the world who doesn't worship Ike as the specialest little boy.

Radiant Dawn utterly ruined Ike because they didn't know what to do with him after the clean completed arc they gave him in the first game.

• Replies 180.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Wapeach-656x492.png

Official -ly scrapped. Vetoed by Miyamoto out of Mario Power Tennis. The artist, who had previously invented Waluigi, has also thrown together a 3D model of what "Wapeach" would've looked approximately like.:

Wapeach_1.jpg

Almost feels like a Proto-Rosalina.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

An very simple alternative I have always thought would work is simply that Begnion offered Pelleas resources Daein desperately needed to get back on its feet in exchange for joining the war...

This is canon, actually. The Extended Script gives us a fuller view of the pact's contents.

https://www.pegasusknight.com/wiki/fe10/?章別会話/第3部+12章+生きてこそ

[Translation done with DeepL, so it may not be perfect]

[Pelleas]
After the coronation ceremony... the IOU I signed: ......?
[Lucan]
Yes, it was done unofficially, the 'good faith' of the Senate.
[Pelleas.]
It was a loan from the Empire to Dane in the amount of hundreds of millions of gold, interest free and indefinite. Although it was in the form of an IOU, it was compensation for the mismanagement of the garrison army, so the gold did not have to be returned. ......

Naturally, the version we got cut this out. The Blood Pact is the promise of resources to rebuilt... in exchange of obedience.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

>Goes to do assignment

>Notices two missing ones

>Was due Wednesday

>Shit's never due Wednesday, why would the professor do this?

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

20231201145225-1.jpg

I get you're a masochist, but this is... 🍄☠️😮.

Russian Roulette: Mushroom Edition.

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Wapeach-656x492.png

Official -ly scrapped. Vetoed by Miyamoto out of Mario Power Tennis. The artist, who had previously invented Waluigi, has also thrown together a 3D model of what "Wapeach" would've looked approximately like.:

I won't lie, this feels like a fan-design but as pointed out, it's because it's not ugly enough.

5 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

The wind blows hard in December

The wind blows hard in Decemeber

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Almost feels like a Proto-Rosalina.

You're not the only one I saw saying that. Although Rosalina's original design is known to have looked nothing like this.:

9tilqzjrbfab1.jpg

IDK why the change. Though they considered making her a relative of Peach when they came up with the redesign that became the official Rosalina.

Naturally, the version we got cut this out.

Actually...

Lekain:
“All will be made clear, young Pelleas. Yes, this is the same document. You, my naive young king, signed it believing it was an oath of reparation from Begnion. Sadly for you, however…”

It's a much more terse mention, but it's technically there. No wonder the Extended Script is called what it is.

I saw the mention of Yatterman...

Quite influential as a trope...

Somebody has to record every single silly way of defeating the universes-sized monster, don't they?😛

Though the only reason I have any notion of what was meant is having read about Tatsunoko vs. Capcom so long ago.😆

And I suppose the trope or Yatterman had to be influential in Japan for Miyamoto to mention it offhand and simply assume the other person would understand it.

47 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Russian Roulette: Mushroom Edition.

With the added benefit of things between "Not shot" and "dead". There's "feeling extremely hot and ripping off your clothes", and "finding literally everything funny and you can't stop laughing, to the point you're struggling to take in fresh oxygen", and "goes comatose, but you get to commune with the Transcendent Ones for the first time".

Better than a revolver for sure.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

You're not the only one I saw saying that. Although Rosalina's original design is known to have looked nothing like this.:

9tilqzjrbfab1.jpg

IDK why the change. Though they considered making her a relative of Peach when they came up with the redesign that became the official Rosalina.

Interesting.

Actually...

Lekain:
“All will be made clear, young Pelleas. Yes, this is the same document. You, my naive young king, signed it believing it was an oath of reparation from Begnion. Sadly for you, however…”

It's a much more terse mention, but it's technically there. No wonder the Extended Script is called what it is.

Ah, that's true.

Keep in mind Extended is a bit of a misnomer. It's more accurate to say it's the actual script, and the one we got is the Truncated Script. It's only Extended from the perspective of us who only got the truncated version.

As it stands, it still goes into detail about what the reparations entailed. Interest-free and no need to pay back is a big thing to consider why Daein could feel indebted to Begnion, despite what Begnion did to them all those years.

Somebody has to record every single silly way of defeating the universes-sized monster, don't they?😛

Though the only reason I have any notion of what was meant is having read about Tatsunoko vs. Capcom so long ago.😆

And I suppose the trope or Yatterman had to be influential in Japan for Miyamoto to mention it offhand and simply assume the other person would understand it.

Yeah, it shows up quite a lot. I'm pretty sure even Pokémon's Team Rocket Trio is a homage to it. They certainly piloted lots of mechas, as it were, heh.

3 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Was forgetting to comment on this.😅

But, there is perhaps one issue here. The people of Daein harbor no love for Begnion ATM. Without the Blood Pact, what would keep Pelleas, other than his weakness of character, from saying "Um, I'm sorry, we're still recovering, we can't get involved."?

If most/much of the promised restoration supplies were already delivered, Pelleas could've hypothetically gone out-of-character and simply say "We d-e-f-a-u-l-t on the promise! Thankies for the stuff!". What would Lekain be able to do other than say "How dare you!"?:

• Option 1- Lekain "We shall let it be known to the international community that Daein is untrustworthy and unwilling to uphold its agreements."
    • Rebuttal- Pelleas "The international community that is neutral or is fighting against you? Oh what a condemnation this is!😝"
  • Option 2- Lekain "Fine! We declare war on Daein!"
    • Rebuttal- Pelleas "Aren't you already at war? Listen, I know you're Begnion the continental superpower. And that Zelgius dude and the Central Army are strong, though they can't be in two places at once. Admittedly my own army is still small, but do you really have the forces to spare against Daein? I call your bluff. Micaiah, secure our southern border against invasion and hold out until your efforts and those of the Laguz Alliance (we're not officially allying with them, the people of Daein wouldn't approve, we're merely at war with a common enemy) win the long-term battle of attrition."

Has there been any historical instances of invading a supposedly-tributary state while the master-state is at war with someone else? 

38 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yeah, it shows up quite a lot. I'm pretty sure even Pokémon's Team Rocket Trio is a homage to it. They certainly piloted lots of mechas, as it were, heh.

Speaking of them and Things You Only Realize When You've Immersed Yourself In Enough Japanese Stuff, there was one... Johto I think... episode I saw as a kid. An episode I've remembered as odd because it had TR thinking themselves invisible b/c they dressed in black -only many years later did I realize this is a Japanese traditional theatre thing, which Westerners simply would not readily understand.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Was forgetting to comment on this.😅

But, there is perhaps one issue here. The people of Daein harbor no love for Begnion ATM. Without the Blood Pact, what would keep Pelleas, other than his weakness of character, from saying "Um, I'm sorry, we're still recovering, we can't get involved."?

If most/much of the promised restoration supplies were already delivered, Pelleas could've hypothetically gone out-of-character and simply say "We d-e-f-a-u-l-t on the promise! Thankies for the stuff!". What would Lekain other than say "How dare you!"?:

• Option 1- Lekain "We shall let it be known to the international community that Daein is untrustworthy and unwilling to uphold its agreements."
    • Rebuttal- Pelleas "The international community that is neutral or is fighting against you? Oh what a condemnation this is!😝"
  • Option 2- Lekain "Fine! We declare war on Daein!"
    • Rebuttal- Pelleas "Aren't you already at war? Listen, I know you're Begnion the continental superpower. And that Zelgius dude and the Central Army are strong, though they can't be in two places at once. Admittedly my own army is still small, but do you really have the forces to spare against Daein? I call your bluff. Micaiah, secure our southern border against invasion and hold out until your efforts and those of the Laguz Alliance (we're not officially allying with them, the people of Daein wouldn't approve, we're merely at war with a common enemy) win the long-term battle of attrition."

Has there been any historical instances of invading a supposedly-tributary state while the master-state is at war with someone else? 

And that's why Lekain said it was "unofficial". It's geared to not involved the larger Begnion goverment body (Sanaki, et al), so Lekain can keep full control of Daein for himself and the senators. Unlike the Kilvas Blood Pact. We see how the difference works, since Naesala only needs to obey Sanaki (still the legitime Empress of Begnion, even if the False Apostle thing is true) to get out of the Senate's grip. Lekain worded the Daein Blood Pact so they can't exploit the same loophole.

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Speaking of them and Things You Only Realize When You've Immersed Yourself In Enough Japanese Stuff, there was one... Johto I think... episode I saw as a kid. An episode I've remembered as odd because it had TR thinking themselves invisible b/c they dressed in black -only many years later did I realize this is a Japanese traditional theatre thing, which Westerners simply would not readily understand.

Yep. This is also where the "ninjas dress in black for stealth" perception comes from, as well. Though, to be fair, it was a good disguise for a ninja since the theater stage handlers were already meant to not be paid attention to. Not so much for the "dressed in black" thing. Granted, it'd only work if they were infiltrating a theater, but then that was the point. Their disguises were meant to be appropriate for the place they'd get into and stuff.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Ah, getting so close to the end of Nagisa's route... but I doubt I can finish tonight.

Considering their role isn't small, I'm surprised they didn't gave the choir club girls character portraits.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

8 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I really need to replay both Vestarias back to back at some point. I cannot remember who Tamthir and Adeleide are lol

I got her name wrong. It's Adelaide.

Anyway, Tamthir is the one who killed Cyltan's dad (good riddance) and tried to take over Solis. He is also the father of Aynellia and Neira.
Adelaide is Theodel's stepmother and the one ruling Frall by the time of chapter 18.

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You and me make two. Wario Land was good, quite distinctive from Mario platforming. I've dabbled in WarioWare, it does little for me (though sure, it's not exactly something overdone in gaming).

Alas, the Mario sub-franchises of DK, Yoshi, and Wario don't get enough attention from Big N. And in Yoshi's case, the post-SMW2 attention has been plagued by quality issues.

...Remind me, did you ever play Shake It! ("The Shake Dimension" in Europe)? Less transformations than 4 (and no Super Hard mode), but the general DNA is similar. If you get the itch and haven't given it a go, try it? The titular shaking could maybe be mapped to a button, and any tilting an analog stick.

I have seen Shake It. I'll admit Wario World makes me a bit more curious. Wario got some great games back in the day.

In fairness, I don't hate WarioWare, but it is decidedly... simpler.

8 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Radiant Dawn utterly ruined Ike because they didn't know what to do with him after the clean completed arc they gave him in the first game.

They could've simply had him and his gang be secondaries without their own part. Alas.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

9tilqzjrbfab1.jpg

IDK why the change. Though they considered making her a relative of Peach when they came up with the redesign that became the official Rosalina

You ever stop to think about how all the Mario women have the exact same face?

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

I got her name wrong. It's Adelaide.

Anyway, Tamthir is the one who killed Cyltan's dad (good riddance) and tried to take over Solis. He is also the father of Aynellia and Neira.
Adelaide is Theodel's stepmother and the one ruling Frall by the time of chapter 18.

Ahh, right. Sheesh, I kind of forgot the Vestaria 1 villains that aren't Therenius (and Valerius I guess but he's also in VS2, very briefly).

Therenius stole the show completely lol. You can really tell Kaga was fond of the Kempf types because he kept on giving them more love. From Kempf potentially not even showing up again, to Lentzenheimer being the main villain of Runan's third act, to Volcens being basically the main antagonist of Berwick and finally Therenius being the final boss of his game. Feels good to be a weaselly little worm boy.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'll admit Wario World makes me a bit more curious.

Wario World is... okay, certainly not the equal of the Wario Lands (not a terrible first attempt at bringing WL into 3D though, just not amazing). Played it a bunch as a kid. Never finished it though, couldn't collect enough red crystals in the final level to get to the boss there.

The levels I recall as being rather big? But only 8 of them makes the game rather short, and the punching on the simple side. You could get through it in a weekend.

Best pause screen though.:

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You ever stop to think about how all the Mario women have the exact same face?

"Sameface" in animanga is a thing. Usually I see the term applied to Akira Toriyama of Dragon Ball/Quest fame.

In Mario's case, it wouldn't be b/c one artist for everything, more like the franchise being kinda simple and conservative with its characters designs, probably since it's so big and profitable that it doesn't need to risk radical visual deviation.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Prey's getting better and better by the minute. Now that it's opened up more, I'm realizing it's a sort of semi-open-ended game. You can't go anywhere you like because of locked doors and the like, but the entire map is available to you at all times. I've already been given reason to return to the first area of the game, and even then I completely forgot my actual reason for being there in favor of exploring a different part of the area that I hadn't gone to in the first place because all the locks required higher-level hacking that I could manage.

Combat's also improving a lot now that I have more weapons. Instead of the common "use whatever gun to kill things" situation, every gun has a sort of niche against certain types of enemies. The shotgun shreds through mimics and phantoms but it's useless against bigger guys and technological enemies, there's a stun gun that's no good against electric foes, a glue gun that can freeze up some enemy types, clusters that are best dealt with a grenade... You have guns for each situation, and inventory space is limited.

And of course, atmosphere continues being nailed. Exploring and finding out more about the station and what happened in it continues being a lot of fun. Looking to be a really solid, meaty game, this one.

3 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Took me a sec to recognize Best Girl in that attire. Luckily, being the only angry Vestaria girl makes her easier to identify.

Say where's Zayid

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Wario World is... okay, certainly not the equal of the Wario Lands (not a terrible first attempt at bringing WL into 3D though, just not amazing). Played it a bunch as a kid. Never finished it though, couldn't collect enough red crystals in the final level to get to the boss there.

The levels I recall as being rather big? But only 8 of them makes the game rather short, and the punching on the simple side. You could get through it in a weekend.

Yeah, that adds up to everything I've heard of it. I watched Vinny Vinesauce raging at it one time. It looked fun enough. Maybe someday.

Best pause screen though.:

No arguments there.

"Sameface" in animanga is a thing. Usually I see the term applied to Akira Toriyama of Dragon Ball/Quest fame.

In Mario's case, it wouldn't be b/c one artist for everything, more like the franchise being kinda simple and conservative with its characters designs, probably since it's so big and profitable that it doesn't need to risk radical visual deviation.

I mean, that's an argument, but the dudes are all allowed to look different enough. The girls are like, Daisy has a slightly rounder face, Rosalina has a different hairstyle, Pauline has makeup... Much, much more homogenous across the board.

37 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

mean, that's an argument, but the dudes are all allowed to look different enough. The girls are like, Daisy has a slightly rounder face, Rosalina has a different hairstyle, Pauline has makeup... Much, much more homogenous across the board.

Tbf you're only looking at the human characters. Wario and Waluigi are the exceptions but once you start looking at the scrimbolo bimbolos, things are way more varied regardless of gender.

And it's done. I've unlocked the After Story. Phew, and I still have lots to go through yet. But I think that will be for next time.

Since it's Xeno time now!