• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

Like it's just NASA (she's cute).

I think i mentioned this before, but whoever does Trails' art and character designs has ALOT of talent, no doubt. They make tgeir characters come to life so much with art alone. So this isn't a surprise that its the case here, either.

I'm starting to remember why I took three days to beat this map. There's so much going on, so many enemies with crits, Cromwell and Rastelle are pathetic, just making it five turns is a struggle.

Well, step by step. It's not like I need to beat this map before I can replay VS2 and marvel at how much better it is.

SPOILER_2403f3172527240ebf871226f3699c4a

Okay I think I'm leaving the "hey that looks kinda neat" phase and entering the "please be good" stage with this game.

Look at that absolute selection of characters. It looks like a dream... provided the game can avoid the JRPG pitfalls in the same way Exit Fate did.

...And if that wasn't enough, there's also this.

Vestaria_Saga_I_14_12_2023_21_59_14.png?

This guy can be seen among a bunch of other characters in the "recruit over 100 heroes" section of the trailer.

He's basically Garon and he's playable. Goodness, I need to know how that development happens.

8 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

The next DLC adds another apple dragon? I love that far more than I should.

It evolves from the previously introduced apple dragon, Dipplin. Though Hydrapple was only added a few days ago, GF forgot to make Dipplin incompatible with Eviolite when it was added in September, so we knew it would get an evolution beforehand.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Like it's not even Kuro no Kiseki 3, they straight up changed the title. Are we actually at the end? 

Curiouser and curiouser... The description implies that Van is still present so it's probably Kuro III with a different name (and presumably, the end of the Calvard arc). The fancy new title, I'm guessing, is in recognition of the 20th anniversary and to generate interest. Even if it isn't the finale, it will likely be a major upheaval of some sort for the series' plot.

Most importantly Campanella is back, now the games are funny again.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Like it's just NASA (she's cute).

NASA-chan

7 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

SRW T should be the last game, but it's not displayed anywhere. Man, this is so hilariously sad...

Did you play it with a profile that isn't your main one? That could be the reason it doesn't show up.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Okay I think I'm leaving the "hey that looks kinda neat" phase and entering the "please be good" stage with this game.

I was surprised to hear that this is a Kickstarter game. And it has 100 characters? The Wonderful 101's sequel sure looks different from what I expected.

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

-I posted this like a week or two ago?😆

2 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Inb4 Axe...Kuro seems to have really fucked up atleast (especially 2) and Kondo did say "No good Numbers, No more Trails"

🍿?

If the series really is at an abrupt end, well it'd take on a certain ...something... from me. Given pre-Blade Xeno, witnessing how a different JRPG series that attempted to make an overambitious overarching multi-part story ended up crashing before it should have, would be... interesting.🤔

Also, SMH at Trails going to the moon before Adol does.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It also doesn't always work out so well (FE4 forcefields...)

C4. -Particularly if you know what's coming and move your soldiers back before the first seize.🥱

38 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

This guy can be seen among a bunch of other characters in the "recruit over 100 heroes" section of the trailer.

The bright blue really makes the dong cloth/armor stand out. Adds to his overall impression of being... cocky.😛

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

18 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

The description implies that Van is still present so it's probably Kuro III with a different name (and presumably, the end of the Calvard arc).

Kuro II's ending was kind of open-ended, so this isn't out of the question. Though i'm not certain how much more milage Calvard's arc can get, honestly.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

posted this like a week or two ago?

Must've missed it oops xD

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

the series really is at an abrupt end,

Hmm

I don't think that's the case yet, but going ftom synopsis this seems like the first game to truly push the plot forward in a loooooong as while

25 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

I was surprised to hear that this is a Kickstarter game. And it has 100 characters? The Wonderful 101's sequel sure looks different from what I expected.

Well, it's a spiritual successor to Suikoden made by Suikoden's creators. It remains to be seen whether it's a Mighty No 9 or a Bloodstained, but Suikoden's main draw was always its massive cast of a hundred characters.

....I do have to wonder just how much dough they rose, the game looks pretty high-budget. Those sprites are super elaborate, not to mention full voice acting in two languages.

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

C4. -Particularly if you know what's coming and move your soldiers back before the first seize.🥱

C4?

...are you telling me to blow up the forcefield mage? Commit even more war crimes? Sign me the fuck up. We can probably find a dam to break with whatever explosive is left over. Arvis won't know what hit him.

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The bright blue really makes the dong cloth/armor stand out. Adds to his overall impression of being... cocky.😛

I hadn't even realized lol.

Say, I saw a couple of designs that might be to your liking among the footage. Might share some more later if I feel so inclined.

31 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

but going ftom synopsis this seems like the first game to truly push the plot forward in a loooooong as while

If you mean Trails, then Kuro actually had a decently put together plot overall. Not Sky levels of good, but it far surpassed CS in that regard, no doubts. Kuro II needed work on it's story however, it was a disaster. XD

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

Did you play it with a profile that isn't your main one? That could be the reason it doesn't show up.

I did played with my main profile. It is being counted in the total of number of games, after all.

I can only guess it's because, being a SRW game, it can only be bought in an East Asian eShop. So that messes something up... who knows.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

8 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Hm? Gotta check my own Switch statistics...

Ahahaha, SRW T is not showing up at all. It says I played six games, but only shows five.

Smash Ultimate
Engage
Three Houses
Xenoblade
Xenoblade 2

SRW T should be the last game, but it's not displayed anywhere. Man, this is so hilariously sad...

Did you start SRW T like in December?

8 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Kaga has a lot of interesting game design principles

Oh he does, i won't deny that. Kaga is very much an ideas guy, he just sucks at actually implementing them well.

3 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

And the fact that it limits interactions to 1 on 1

Sadly, i think we might still have this. However, if there are additional events, then perhaps...

Unicorn-Overlord_20231213_29.png

I can't imagine everyone is recruited through the main quests alone so side quests where you get one or more units could be neat.

3 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Inb4 Axe...Kuro seems to have really fucked up atleast (especially 2) and Kondo did say "No good Numbers, No more Trails"

Also Kevin was spotted in one of the pics

This would be like if the BBC axed Doctor Who because of the low ratin-wait.......

.....this would be like if Gust axed Atelier if the sales started getting low. Trails is Falcom's only consistent release, not like they really put out any other games in the mean time. Nor are they big enough that they could probably hold off on a few years. Trails sales probably funds their other projects thinking about it.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

As always, it'd be cool if her arms looked like they could actually lift those things without shattering to pieces, but hey. Japan be Japan.

Yeah but she also throws her shield around like a whip

Unicorn-Overlord_20231213_05.png?ex=658e

That's pretty badass.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

ngl I think the world of videogames would be a lot more boring without mad bastards like Kaga. I'd rather take the game design card from like, the folks making the same game over and over, adding 1 to the number on the title and calling it a new game.

You can make unhinged video games without turning it into cock and ball torture.

2 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I do wonder how they'll handle the EXP curve. I hope they thought of it but i hope it doesn't run into the Scarlet/Violet issue of, despite being able to go almost anywhere, the level-scaling doesn't apply.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And if that wasn't enough, there's also this.

hmusicruof4-rowley.gif

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

don't think that's the case yet, but going ftom synopsis this seems like the first game to truly push the plot forward in a loooooong as while

I'm seeing people say the game will make Nayuta canon lmao.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I posted this like a week or two ago?😆

Oh whoops. I don't remember seeing it myself at least.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Did you start SRW T like in December?

Does it only count when you start playing a game? Since in that case, yes, I began SRW T in 2022. But well, it's still being counted for 2023 despite not showing up with the others.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Does it only count when you start playing a game? Since in that case, yes, I began SRW T in 2022. But well, it's still being counted for 2023 despite not showing up with the others.

It should count as long as you played it this year. It might be because of the region then. Idk.

...Oh, I see. So @Lightchao42's response got me curious and I looked up just how much Eiyuden Chronicle got from its kickstarter campaign.

Turns out it's the third most successful kickstarter campaign for a videogame ever, beaten only by Shenmue III and Bloodstained. It rose 4.5 million bucks.

Yeah, that does explain why the game looks so high budget. Because, well, it has an utterly gargantuan budget lol. I'm kind of surprised the spiritual successor to a niche JRPG series managed to accrue such a massive payday, but... Hey, I'm not complaining. If we could get more JRPGs like this I'd hate the genre less, probably.

35 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah but she also throws her shield around like a whip

Unicorn-Overlord_20231213_05.png?ex=658e

That's pretty badass.

And it would be more badass if she looked like she wouldn't shatter to pieces while swinging that thing. Or fall over from losing her balance because combat high heels.

Ok but yeah that's pretty awesome, I just hate her attire, as per usual. That and, I don't know, there's something I can't quite place about this company's trademark artstyle that puts me off even when it's not necessarily sexualizing the crap out of its characters.

35 minutes ago, Armagon said:

hmusicruof4-rowley.gif

Yeah, right? Those are the vibes. I would say he's definitely going on my team, but if this is anything like Exit Fate - and it definitely looks that way from the footage and info we have - chances are this guy's but the tip of the iceberg when it comes to exotic playables.

...Like, in a different trailer I saw a plant. Just, a regular ass fucking mandrake-looking plant, standing with the player's team. A plant is playable.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

58 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Oh whoops. I don't remember seeing it myself at least.

BTW, checking the advertising description for the Ring of the Maiden/Rite of the Covenant thing.:

"in which both parties pledge fealty to each other forever."

Key word is "fealty". That isn't the same as marriage. Could just mean the oath between a feudal lord and his vassal. Could use that, if not for "cowardice!", then to brush away anything that might be morally icky. -But then, I don't think they've shown any murder children so far?🤔 If nobody is underaged, then there's no problem.

41 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Turns out it's the third most successful kickstarter campaign for a videogame ever, beaten only by Shenmue III and Bloodstained. It rose 4.5 million bucks.

Warning! Shenmue III I read was a total flop!😛

To put it precisely, decades had passed since Shenmue II, what was once memorably innovative in gaming, had become utterly antiquated. Also, the reason aging fans had been so eager for a sequel, was to finish the damn story -yet it seems Shen' III failed to do that. A Shen' IV is rather unlikely now.

-But I doubt Game Inspired By Games Loosely Inspired By Classic Chinese Literature will suffer the same fate.😀 (To be precise, Shui Hu Zhuan/Water Margin is about a bandit and his 108 outlaws companions. Every Suikoden (the Japanese pronunciation of the Chinese I take it), had the heroes being rebels, for a while at least.)

Warning! Shenmue III I read was a total flop!😛

To put it precisely, decades had passed since Shenmue II, what was once memorably innovative in gaming, had become utterly antiquated. Also, the reason aging fans had been so eager for a sequel, was to finish the damn story -yet it seems Shen' III failed to do that. A Shen' IV is rather unlikely now.

Oh boy.

-But I doubt Game Inspired By Games Loosely Inspired By Classic Chinese Literature will suffer the same fate.😀 (To be precise, Shui Hu Zhuan/Water Margin is about a bandit and his 108 outlaws companions. Every Suikoden (the Japanese pronunciation of the Chinese I take it), had the heroes being rebels, for a while at least.)

I mean, it looks really good, but that's also what I thought about Octopath 2. I don't want to get burned again. It does look to have a lot more things that are down my alley, Octopath 2 I basically just trusted blindly because I liked Octopath 1 back in the day, but caution will still be needed.

...I really should try Suikoden out. Give it a fighting chance at least, see how long till I get bored from the lack of difficulty.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...I really should try Suikoden out. Give it a fighting chance at least, see how long till I get bored from the lack of difficulty.

• Suikoden II is universally considered the best. I played it... I felt it was overhyped, unfortunately.
  • Suikoden I is the other game I played to completion. I think I read the idea for Suiko II came first, but they wanted to make a test game before that.
  • Suikoden III I played just a pinch of, watched the rest. Doesn't seem to be as loved as the first two. Features three separate protagonists, including a white-haired young lady.
  • Suikoden IV is universally considered the weakest entry. I watched it online.
    • It did get an SRPG spinoff in the form of Suikoden Tactics, the first half of which is set before the events of Suiko IV, the second half after.
  • Suikoden V was considered a return to good form. I watched it. Slow to start, fizzles a bit towards the very end -but really the problems ain't that much worse than Suikoden II in this regard, IMO.
  • Suikoden Tierkreis- A DS spinoff. Not set in the same world as the rest, sacrifices some other elements of the franchise, such as no magical Runes, or an unbeatable tactician.
    • Features plentiful voice-acting. However, tofititallontheDSthecharacterstalkratherfast,Iwatchedthisgamewiththeplayspeedincreasedtoincreasethefunny.

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:
  • Suikoden II is universally considered the best. I played it... I felt it was overhyped, unfortunately.
  • Suikoden I is the other game I played to completion. I think I read the idea for Suiko II came first, but they wanted to make a test game before that.
  • Suikoden III I played just a pinch of, watched the rest. Doesn't seem to be as loved as the first two. Features three separate protagonists, including a white-haired young lady.
  • Suikoden IV is universally considered the weakest entry. I watched it online.
    • It did get an SRPG spinoff in the form of Suikoden Tactics, the first half of which is set before the events of Suiko IV, the second half after.
  • Suikoden V was considered a return to good form. I watched it. Slow to start, fizzles a bit towards the very end -but really the problems ain't that much worse than Suikoden II in this regard, IMO.
  • Suikoden Tierkreis- A DS spinoff. Not set in the same world as the rest, sacrifices some other elements of the franchise, such as no magical Runes, or an unbeatable tactician.
    • Features plentiful voice-acting. However, tofititallontheDSthecharacterstalkratherfast,Iwatchedthisgamewiththeplayspeedincreasedtoincreasethefunny.

Folks at the Eiyuden discord are making an attempt at convincing me to play Suikoden. It seems 1 is pretty short and sweet, which would make it a good game to try out, see where it takes me. I don't have much going on gaming-wise, aside from the Vestaria replay. Might be worth checking out.

5 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Sure, but you can just buy class changing items in shops. They don't have a minimum level requirement either.

I wanted weapons.

fffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
...well, okay. Not like I was still expecting the ports to make the December release at this point. Guess that's just how it is.

Edited by BrightBow