• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

10 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

I imagine that Radiant Dawn is the type of game where it's very fun on a first playthrough, but becomes stagnant on a second. Lots of FE games have a linear progression path with one single army that grows and expands, and for that reason the developers have to account for the fact that they can't always predict the player's team and the builds within that team.

I do agree with this. That said, i do think i can let it slide since RD isn't a game you can just pick up again after the first run. Gotta let it simmer before you can do it again. Whereas with most games in the series, you can keep running them again and again.

Just now, Armagon said:

I do agree with this. That said, i do think i can let it slide since RD isn't a game you can just pick up again after the first run. Gotta let it simmer before you can do it again. Whereas with most games in the series, you can keep running them again and again.

You forgot FE4 here! XD

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

In Part 4 Endgame? She isn't. Sanaki is, but Elincia is not. Elincia has no personal connections to anyone in the tower. Sanaki has to go for Lekain, and for confronting her great*30-something granddaddy, who kinda raised her like a dad.

The requirements in RD are:

1. 2nd Playthrough or beyond.
  2. Deploy the Black Knight in Part 1 Endgame.
  3. In 3-7, have Ike fight the Black Knight, the Black Knight must not be defeated on this map.

RD was released in the US in November 2007, SRWOG2 released in the US in November 2006. 

Vaisaga - Note: Can only be done on a second playthrough.

- In scenario 10 on the Earth route, or scenario 13 on the Moon route, Echidna must be shot down, or forced to retreat. Lamia must then move to the square that Echidna was on right before she retreated. Note that you'll recieve no indication if you did this step correctly or not.
- Lamia must have 1, and only 1, battle encounter with Axel during scenario 19. [2 encounters gets you the Ash Saber instead, 0 or 3 or more gets you nothing.]
- Lamia must have at least 55 kills by the end of scenario 24.
- If you've fulfilled the requirements, then Lamia will sortie in it during scenario 28. 

Not all that different, ain't it?😄 -Sure I found out about both secrets online as a kiddo, but I wasn't arguing about the obscurity of the requirements, just the tedium/stringency/sheer number of steps the secrets have. Three fairly simple steps for RD ain't all that much.😛

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Sephiran is pretty much a SRW boss.

MAP attacks, flunkies to Support Defend him, battle quotes with several characters even secondary ones, and long-term several-steps recruitment process.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

11 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

You forgot FE4 here! XD

Even in FE4, there's ways you can spice up a second playthrough. Substitute run, for example, or simply different pairings.

The difference is that RD is an actually good game and FE4 isn't /s

Just now, Armagon said:

Even in FE4, there's ways you can spice up a second playthrough. Substitute run, for example, or simply different pairings.

You have to make it to Gen 2, first though. XD

17 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Sephiran is pretty much a SRW boss.

MAP attacks, flunkies to Support Defend him, battle quotes with several characters even secondary ones, and long-term several-steps recruitment process.

I'm not entirely sure if I remember you saying this before, but I sure don't mind the comparison.😀

28 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

In Part 4 Endgame? She isn't. Sanaki is, but Elincia is not. Elincia has no personal connections to anyone in the tower. Sanaki has to go for Lekain, and for confronting her great*30-something granddaddy, who kinda raised her like a dad.

I forgor. Withdrawn, then. Maybe Renning would've had a small niche... Though it's not like Amiti is all that, either way. It wishes it were the average Vestaria Saga prf.

The requirements in RD are:

1. 2nd Playthrough or beyond.
  2. Deploy the Black Knight in Part 1 Endgame.
  3. In 3-7, have Ike fight the Black Knight, the Black Knight must not be defeated on this map.

Huh, that's less bad than I expected.

RD was released in the US in November 2007, SRWOG2 released in the US in November 2006. 

Vaisaga - Note: Can only be done on a second playthrough.

- In scenario 10 on the Earth route, or scenario 13 on the Moon route, Echidna must be shot down, or forced to retreat. Lamia must then move to the square that Echidna was on right before she retreated. Note that you'll recieve no indication if you did this step correctly or not.
- Lamia must have 1, and only 1, battle encounter with Axel during scenario 19. [2 encounters gets you the Ash Saber instead, 0 or 3 or more gets you nothing.]
- Lamia must have at least 55 kills by the end of scenario 24.
- If you've fulfilled the requirements, then Lamia will sortie in it during scenario 28. 

Not all that different, ain't it?😄 -Sure I found out about both secrets online as a kiddo, but I wasn't arguing about the obscurity of the requirements, just the tedium/stringency/sheer number of steps the secrets have. Three fairly simple steps for RD ain't all that much.😛

This, on the other hand, is completely impossible to get without a guide. Leteena would be proud.

24 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

My tier list for characters gameplay-wise for Triangle Strategy:

de9f6cbdb362fe6cdea41d1d19b6e891.png

going by Hard Difficulty, of course.

Edit: has anyone but Ruben besides me played Triangle Strategy even? lol

Benedict in S? I'm proud of ya, my friend. I know it's just gameplay-wise and otherwise I'm willing to bet he's lower but I''ll take that and run with it

Anyway, a couple disagreements. I'd argue that Quahaug definitely deserves S. Not just that, he deserves his own "use with care so as not to break the game" tier, because the kid has a couple convos that actually destroy any map. And even without those, he can warp units on both sides at will, stop everyone in their tracks, instantly heal an ally of all ailments and damage... He's utterly insane, probably the single most broken unit in the entire game.

I feel you're underrating Lionel a tad. He's suspect as a damage dealer and his skillset is pretty lopsided, but he can take a couple punches if need be, and his good skills are really, really good. Endless Speech is a bit RNGy but if you're not too unlucky it can effectively shut down a whole cluster of enemies. Golden Opportunity is expensive but it deals MASSIVE damage and turns any survivors to your side for one turn, certainly worth the investment in a desperate situation.
And then there's his best skill, Ruffle Feathers, the best measure to shut down mages in the game. Full stop. It has more success chance than other provoke skills and actual range. With this, Lionel can reliably provoke mages, shutting them down in one fell swoop since provoked units only use weapon attacks - and unlike silence, instead of fleeing, provoked mages will run towards Lionel and the team, making them easy pickings. Mages are by far the most dangerous enemy type in the game, so Lionel has a genuine niche here.

I don't really see Corentin in B but Frederica in A. Freddie will always need a TP battery, meanwhile Corentin can be his own battery just by standing on the ice tiles he himself produces. His super skill is similar to Frederica's, but he gets to just cast it instantly instead of waiting a turn for it to charge. He can apply invincibility shields to allies, while Freddie only gets to give people a pretty garbo counter-attack. He also has his walls, which aren't that good but Freddie has nothing like that. This is not to say Freddie is bad but honestly, I feel like they should swap places - or better yet, be on the same tier, as Freddie has a few strengths of her own.

The rest are okay, in my humble opinion. Maybe the tanks are a tad low but that's more of a playstyle thing, I feel.

24 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Sooks did, but he's not been around for a bit.

24 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Well, RD is the longest FE, not helped by the slowness of the engine. Not a game that you can just eat up again that easily.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm not entirely sure if I remember you saying this before, but I sure don't mind the comparison.😀

Yep. Sephiran even starts surrounded by four spirits. Classic Support Defend configuration. XD

Really, just about all he's missing is an actual mecha.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

You guys wouldn't survive SRW and their 50-60 on average maps.

Probably. Berwick has 41 and I already consider that gargantuan. Works for me because they're like, almost all amazing. But sometimes I just like a more short and sweet game.

27 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

I ""did"", but only to the extent of seeing the first little choice split between Arabia (which I chose) and Sweden.😅 I began 🔺🤔 around in the fall last year time last year, yet I unfortunately fell into a 🙁 funk not long after, and TriStrat's slow & dry (serious, simple, yet with an air of promised elegant grandeur) opening wasn't good for treating it. I ended up pausing my playthrough of that and started up SRW A Portable instead.😆

-I never got back to TS, but I've wanted to.😅

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yep. Sephiran even starts surrounded by four spirits. Classic Support Defend configuration. XD

Really, just about all he's missing is an actual mecha.

Time to transform the Tower of Guidance then!

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I ""did"", but only to the extent of seeing the first little choice split between Arabia (which I chose) and Sweden.😅 I began 🔺🤔 around in the fall last year time last year, yet I unfortunately fell into a 🙁 funk not long after, and TriStrat's slow & dry (serious, simple, yet with an air of promised elegant grandeur) opening wasn't good for treating it. I ended up pausing my playthrough of that and started up SRW A Portable instead.😆

-I never got back to TS, but I've wanted to.😅

Yeah, that's fair. Triangle Strategy's opening is not as bad as a few others I've seen but it undeniably takes its time getting going. Honestly, I feel they should've introduced mock battles at the start of the game. Thanks to them, the gameplay/story ratio gets better on chapter 4, but that's also where the story starts getting fun. Having more combat early on might've helped break the monotony of the endless character and world introductions. Like, seriously, the game introduces pretty much every primary and secondary character in those first four chapters.

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, that's fair. Triangle Strategy's opening is not as bad as a few others I've seen but it undeniably takes its time getting going. Honestly, I feel they should've introduced mock battles at the start of the game. Thanks to them, the gameplay/story ratio gets better on chapter 4, but that's also where the story starts getting fun. Having more combat early on might've helped break the monotony of the endless character and world introductions. Like, seriously, the game introduces pretty much every primary and secondary character in those first four chapters.

-I'll get back to it eventually.😆 Just the other day I loaded up a save state I had of BS, my mind walked into mists impenetrable. Pausing the game mid-map in a battle where you can't see a lot of enemies b/c urban guerrilla warfare wasn't the best idea.😵

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

All right. My dad will be fine. They've done that test on him and he's clean. The cancer was pushing the limit before his prostate was removed, so he'll need to be watched carefully, but for the nonce it appears he's home free.

...Then there were complications with the test that aren't worth getting into, because the poor man has no luck. But even that wasn't enough to sully his good mood at the happy news.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-I'll get back to it eventually.😆 Just the other day I loaded up a save state I had of BS, my mind walked into mists impenetrable. Pausing the game mid-map in a battle where you can't see a lot of enemies b/c urban guerrilla warfare wasn't the best idea.😵

Huh? Wait, what map is that? The Arabia map isn't like that... It's just all mages, which is a different type of annoying altogether.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-I said BS. I meant Berwick the other Ruben-approved SRPG I've long frozen.

I get it, I didn't clarify the sudden shift in topic enough.😆

Oooohhh... Ohh.

Oooohhhhh the Entirely Ordinary Men yeaaaah...

I really can't blame you to be honest. That map is something else. I wouldn't call it bad exactly, like 1 Move Snow Fun, but it's definitely painful.

On 12/8/2023 at 5:40 PM, Shaky Jones said:

No you don't.

I don't have to take this from somebody who doesn't even use Book 1 MAJI.

On 12/8/2023 at 11:19 PM, Lightchao42 said:

Sir, this isn't the unpopular opinions thread.

Tough to tell the difference sometimes

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oooohhh... Ohh.

Oooohhhhh the Entirely Ordinary Men yeaaaah...

I really can't blame you to be honest. That map is something else. I wouldn't call it bad exactly, like 1 Move Snow Fun, but it's definitely painful.

Talking about it...

Spoiler

gsdx-20231218125704.png

I used up every single save state slot. Number of deaths undone must number several dozen, more than fifty? Entirely possible, particularly factoring in the play-stopping misery from late March/early April 2022, which the prior save states indicate as my hiatus date. I had to reload actual saves a few times to further manipulate the RNG.

Some of the deaths were Vestosterone's. I'm thankful his one brain cell told him not to run into the city of the dead. But, I'm pretty sure his sprite is censored, because he definitely ran into battle ass-naked, squirting his s*** everywhere whenever he got stabbed. Seriously, WHY ON EARTH DOES HE NOT HAVE A HEALING ITEM? Nor anyone in his little group. The Brown Buffon was dropped to 3HP thanks to that Cult-kun guy who fled, and while the Guardian dude was nice enough to have Mercy, but that didn't stop the Mr. Green Unit here from initiating for 0 damage, the Guardian showed no mercy on his accurate counterattack, Vesteria Sa-gaaaaaaah!.😑

Don't say "congrats". I take no pride in completing this map. And I am not in the mood to at last resume this run.🤨 I woke up today intending to play RF5 and run straight into Reinhard's second event, a fair knight with calm and actual intelligence, and I intend to do precisely that after a late lunch. I will resume BS to completion one day, some day -but today is not that day. Say "Play Berwick Saga!" to me right now, and I'll shove a loaded medieval fire lance up where the sun don't shine. Am I clear?😃

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Benedict in S? I'm proud of ya, my friend. I know it's just gameplay-wise and otherwise I'm willing to bet he's lower but I''ll take that and run with it

Anyway, a couple disagreements. I'd argue that Quahaug definitely deserves S. Not just that, he deserves his own "use with care so as not to break the game" tier, because the kid has a couple convos that actually destroy any map. And even without those, he can warp units on both sides at will, stop everyone in their tracks, instantly heal an ally of all ailments and damage... He's utterly insane, probably the single most broken unit in the entire game.

I feel you're underrating Lionel a tad. He's suspect as a damage dealer and his skillset is pretty lopsided, but he can take a couple punches if need be, and his good skills are really, really good. Endless Speech is a bit RNGy but if you're not too unlucky it can effectively shut down a whole cluster of enemies. Golden Opportunity is expensive but it deals MASSIVE damage and turns any survivors to your side for one turn, certainly worth the investment in a desperate situation.
And then there's his best skill, Ruffle Feathers, the best measure to shut down mages in the game. Full stop. It has more success chance than other provoke skills and actual range. With this, Lionel can reliably provoke mages, shutting them down in one fell swoop since provoked units only use weapon attacks - and unlike silence, instead of fleeing, provoked mages will run towards Lionel and the team, making them easy pickings. Mages are by far the most dangerous enemy type in the game, so Lionel has a genuine niche here.

I don't really see Corentin in B but Frederica in A. Freddie will always need a TP battery, meanwhile Corentin can be his own battery just by standing on the ice tiles he himself produces. His super skill is similar to Frederica's, but he gets to just cast it instantly instead of waiting a turn for it to charge. He can apply invincibility shields to allies, while Freddie only gets to give people a pretty garbo counter-attack. He also has his walls, which aren't that good but Freddie has nothing like that. This is not to say Freddie is bad but honestly, I feel like they should swap places - or better yet, be on the same tier, as Freddie has a few strengths of her own.

The rest are okay, in my humble opinion. Maybe the tanks are a tad low but that's more of a playstyle thing, I feel.

He is a Dancer, with the ability to grant 2x turns and MOV up, what's not broken about that? And high SPD to boot!

I feel the same, but some areas that felt way too risky to employ overall, that or DPS was too needed for it to work.

Milo's Charming is way more busted at 100% AoE lol. And she is almost unhittable.

TP battery is uneeded with Medina, who can grant 2 to all allies in an AoE. Ice panels hamper the player overall imo

Dodge tanking is the only tanking imo.

16 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Ah yes, the United Mine Workers. As noble an organization as any.😄

I have no idea what this conversation is about but Battle of Blair Mountain all the way.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Talking about it...

Hide contents

gsdx-20231218125704.png

I used up every single save state slot. Number of deaths undone must number several dozen, more than fifty? Entirely possible, particularly factoring in the play-stopping misery from late March/early April 2022, which the prior save states indicate as my hiatus date. I had to reload actual saves a few times to further manipulate the RNG.

Some of the deaths were Vestosterone's. I'm thankful his one brain cell told him not to run into the city of the dead. But, I'm pretty sure his sprite is censored, because he definitely ran into battle ass-naked, squirting his s*** everywhere whenever he got stabbed. Seriously, WHY ON EARTH DOES HE NOT HAVE A HEALING ITEM? Nor anyone in his little group. The Brown Buffon was dropped to 3HP thanks to that Cult-kun guy who fled, and while the Guardian dude was nice enough to have Mercy, but that didn't stop the Mr. Green Unit here from initiating for 0 damage, the Guardian showed no mercy on his accurate counterattack, Vesteria Sa-gaaaaaaah!.😑

Don't say "congrats". I take no pride in completing this map. And I am not in the mood to at last resume this run.🤨 I woke up today intending to play RF5 and run straight into Reinhard's second event, a fair knight with calm and actual intelligence, and I intend to do precisely that after a late lunch. I will resume BS to completion one day, some day -but today is not that day. Say "Play Berwick Saga!" to me right now, and I'll shove a loaded medieval fire lance up where the sun don't shine. Am I clear?😃

Fine, I won't say congrats, but I will say, good work! You have conquered a proverbial mountain. An entirely ordinary one.

And don't worry, I wouldn't dare to be pushy in these circumstances. After this great deed, you've certainly earned a break from my Play Berwick Sagaing.

3 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

He is a Dancer, with the ability to grant 2x turns and MOV up, what's not broken about that? And high SPD to boot!

No arguments there. Benny-boy's great. He certainly tries his level best.

I feel the same, but some areas that felt way too risky to employ overall, that or DPS was too needed for it to work.

Fair. Quahaug isn't like, a Seth type of unit where he just breaks the game by existing. He can break the game, but you have to think your moves and work for it a bit.

Milo's Charming is way more busted at 100% AoE lol. And she is almost unhittable.

It has way less range though, she's going to need to get into some pretty heavy danger to charm mages. Plus, charm can be "healed" by getting whacked, and the enemy AI knows this. Once an enemy mage is provoked by Lionel, chances are they're down for the count, since they're just going to charge headlong at your units.

Still, I'm not saying Lionel is better than Milo - his charming skill is a joke and decidedly worse than hers - but I don't think that alone makes him deserving of being called the worst unit in the game. Putting him there means Travis is better than him, and honestly as much as I want to like Travis, I just don't see it. Heck, Picoletta's one claim to fame is her decoy, which just dies in a couple hits and may, if you're lucky, distract a mage for one turn. That's strictly worse than Lionel reliably shutting down mages from afar for 2 turns and you put her above him.

TP battery is uneeded with Medina, who can grant 2 to all allies in an AoE. Ice panels hamper the player overall imo

That's fair. I still feel Corentin has the more versatile kit, and self-sufficiency is still a nice perk to have even with Medina. I still feel same tier for Freddie and Corentin would be best, but that's just me.

Dodge tanking is the only tanking imo.

Well, to each their own. I found it horribly unreliable in this game haha.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

No arguments there. Benny-boy's great. He certainly tries his level best.

Fair. Quahaug isn't like, a Seth type of unit where he just breaks the game by existing. He can break the game, but you have to think your moves and work for it a bit.

It has way less range though, she's going to need to get into some pretty heavy danger to charm mages. Plus, charm can be "healed" by getting whacked, and the enemy AI knows this. Once an enemy mage is provoked by Lionel, chances are they're down for the count, since they're just going to charge headlong at your units.

Still, I'm not saying Lionel is better than Milo - his charming skill is a joke and decidedly worse than hers - but I don't think that alone makes him deserving of being called the worst unit in the game. Putting him there means Travis is better than him, and honestly as much as I want to like Travis, I just don't see it. Heck, Picoletta's one claim to fame is her decoy, which just dies in a couple hits and may, if you're lucky, distract a mage for one turn. That's strictly worse than Lionel reliably shutting down mages from afar for 2 turns and you put her above him.

That's fair. I still feel Corentin has the more versatile kit, and self-sufficiency is still a nice perk to have even with Medina. I still feel same tier for Freddie and Corentin would be best, but that's just me.

Well, to each their own. I found it horribly unreliable in this game haha.

haha, i knew you would be pleased!

Yes, he takes skill, and quite a bit of it.

That's the best part, they literally tear their own army apart attempting to remove it (it always seems to take two hits to remove) So you just either use it again and it starts over, or the damage has been done and the enemies TP wasted. 

Her Decoy is great for A.I abuse. An enemy you don't like? Decoy can bait it.

poor Serenoa, his kit is just... eh. Delay can be nice at times, though, no denying that.