Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

14 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J117.png

Just a quick annexation, nothing to worry about. Its the proper response to being invaded if you ask every civ player.

Or any Paradox player.

Unless you can't. *shakes fist at Victoria 2 only letting you take one "state" per added War Goal, and you can't take the capital until the next war when it's the only state left*

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J118.png

Wow all of that in what, five days?

Months, at least. You'd be surprised how long time skips happen between chapters. At least in Gen 1.

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J119.png

Spot the good guy challenge.

Obviously green robed dude. Green means ally! Sandima who?

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J122.pngFire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J123.png

I...if you're the lords of this region aren't those your villages? And if so wouldn't it be in your best interest to not raid them specifically because they are supposedly the thing keeping your land afloat? This ain't the steppe, y'all need to work by feudal rules. If you want to be evil at least be efficient about it and raise high taxes and levies on the peasantry.

No no, that's how he sells himself as still being "good". The bandits are not going to announce they're plundering under his orders, now do you?

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J124.png

Welcome to Fire Emblem Genealogy of the can't fucking trade items so what am I supposed to do with this.

Pawn Shop. That's how you trade items, pretty much.

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J125.pngFire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J127.png

5 times in a row.

wtf is with the archers in this game.

Charge skill, my friend. Charge skill. Or whatever name the translation patch uses.

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J128.pngFire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J129.png

The stress caused by the limited ability I have to get to the raiders up north is killing me.

Well, you still kinda can't. There will be something to alleviate that, but you need to take the castle.

It is a bit annoying, to the point a hack or two actually let infantry climb up the cliffs to get there straight away. At least, I'm pretty sure I once saw that happening in a video...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Hmm, have to decide what to do with The Molten Cave. Go with my current party to get the item, Teleport out, change jobs, then go back in straight to the boss? Or just switch jobs already...

Speaking of Smash, here is what's next for Ultimate's spirit events:

Aw man, I can't believe Oatchi was disconfirmed as a DLC character. I'm not sure if they're all in the first event, or if each of the games here will get their own spirit event.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Lucky you, that's some serious money right?

What, you expect me to sell one of my games? Maybe, but it doesn't seem to go for that much being that Melee is the best selling GameCube game. It's no Cubivore, that's for sure (which I also have, incidentally). Also I'm pretty sure that at least one of my copies doesn't work, but I'll have to check that later.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Still remember the story my pal told me about how... I think it was precisely this game that told him "your party is upstairs" but translated party as in, social gathering. He was sorely disappointed.

Oh yeah, I heard the Spanish version is especially bad.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think most English translations in the late 90s were done in Japan and English wasn't the translators' first language, hence the various typos. What a beautiful Duwang...

19 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

https://www.awkwardzombie.com/comic/defection-detection

27 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Welcome to Fire Emblem Genealogy of the can't fucking trade items so what am I supposed to do with this.

Pawn it and have someone else buy it back.

27 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J128.pngFire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J129.png

The stress caused by the limited ability I have to get to the raiders up north is killing me.

Dick move honestly.

6 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

PSD3D016.jpg

Oh yeah you know it's Spanish if they're dropping the Jesus.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

PSD3D016.jpg

Oh yeah you know it's Spanish if they're dropping the Jesus.

¡Santísima Madre de la Trinidad! *se persina*

Alright! First try for a change! I was planning to use an Arctic Wind before it started using Fire Breath... but I lost track of how much damage I had done. Fortunately it then started attacking my Red Mage who was in the back row. Phew...

Alright, more jobs! I'll "upgrade" my Warrior to a Knight, and turn my Red Mage into a Scholar. Gonna start abusing Thief+Scholar combo...

5 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

The one thing above all else i hope will be gone (and/or) majorily revamped upon remake

Really? Thats your biggest concern? Not the weapon imbalance or clear character imbalance? Maybe the poor map design? Lol

14 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Really? Thats your biggest concern? Not the weapon imbalance or clear character imbalance? Maybe the poor map design? Lol

These are all boring yes, and a chore even

But they aren't menu chore

I know I'm fighting enemies with elemental weaknesses, but it's still so hilarious to see smacking enemies with books dealing almost 500 damage per attack... and being the one dealing the most damage of the team. XD

18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

GDbU4L8XEAA7wWj?format=jpg&name=medium

Joe Biden has the opportunity to do the funniest thing ever and i'm totally not the first person to make this joke.

Yeah, I definitely saw it long before this.

And naturally, by "US President", they're referring that only Trump can do it, and no one else.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

... I feel the game is screwing with me on purpose. It feels far more than a coincidence Hein would stop using Barrier Shift when my Scholar acted after him... but then if my Scholar acted before him, it's when he'd finally use Barrier Shift.

I just went, screw it, shifted someone into a Geomancer, and hoped for a Shadowflare proc... which did happen, fortunately.

2 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

I...if you're the lords of this region aren't those your villages? And if so wouldn't it be in your best interest to not raid them specifically because they are supposedly the thing keeping your land afloat? This ain't the steppe, y'all need to work by feudal rules. If you want to be evil at least be efficient about it and raise high taxes and levies on the peasantry.

It also seems like a waste of time trying to get one over your fellow lords when you are going to invade Grandbell anyway. Better to plunder another country.

You can sell it to the Pawn Shop, then have another character buy it.

Yeah, that North Western village basically requires you to have Sigurd and Cuan do a mad dash for the castle. Not even the rest of the cavalry is quite fast enough to really help out there.

Naturally there is a nice goodie in that one. But on a first run, it might be better to just not bother.

There is also a goodie if you manage to keep Lachesis' suicidal Paladin trio alive.

Despite I could've done it earlier, I chose to wait until now to get the Onion Knight. I'm surprised they allowed you to get it at this point, but I suppose the OK itself isn't that good until a high enough level. So might as well, I guess. Also fun fact, from the scrapped dialogue, apparently some other jobs were instead also obtainable through sidequests and the like. At the least, these included the Evoker (actually mandatory to get in the original script for Castle Hein) and Bard (actual sidequest).

Okay, got Aria, and it's off to the Cave of Tides... and this is the point where I stopped the last playthrough I did. This time, I will intend to finish this! But I'll continue tomorrow...

3 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J118.png

Wow all of that in what, five days?

The first 6 chapters cover roughly 3 years, so about 6 months passing between chapters is the average...

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J122.pngFire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J123.png

Oh you have not gotten around to playing Crusader Kings yet, and known the hassle of ambitious vassals, or being that ambitious vassal, knowing your incompetent king is the biggest hurdle to you running a country of your own. Also he does say he is raiding the king's property, and if the king is controlling lands that by all rights should be yours, raid away, and show everyone why you should be the one in control of it, considering the king is too busy with other affairs to properly defend it.

You sell it in pawn shop, or keep it strategically as inheritance you otherwise couldn't give to your child (as you can only buy weapons you can use...)

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J125.pngFire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J127.png

5 times in a row.

wtf is with the archers in this game.

They knew how terrible archers are in FE, and wanted to give the best impression of them they could.

While you do get a trinket for rushing fast enough to protect the village that will first fully burn, it really isn't that big of deal.

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Charge skill, my friend. Charge skill. Or whatever name the translation patch uses.

Fun fact, when I was looking back at the older translation with Eltosian in it, the skill was translated as Duel, which I find to be a rather fitting name for the skill.

3 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

RkvFVWJ.png

RR is fun :sip:

Lucina really has the worst super...

3 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

7A4PlxZ.png

....this scares me

On the one hand, I don't think the AI can use that skill all that effectively, but it is still scary none the less.

8 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Fun fact, when I was looking back at the older translation with Eltosian in it, the skill was translated as Duel, which I find to be a rather fitting name for the skill.

Duel certainly makes more sense considering what it actually does. Though the skill's name, 突撃, seems to actually be Charge/Assault.

11 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

From what I've heard, back in the 16-bit era, video games were generally considered "toys" in the West. I think Ted Woolsey, the translator of the SNES version of Final Fantasy VI (called FFIII in the USA at the time b/c only I and IV had been released abroad), said this. "Toys just need to be fun, who cares about "plot"?" That's what the corpos in the West trying to sell Japanese games were thinking. This meant translation wasn't taken too seriously. -Not like there would've been a longstanding Japanese-to-English pool of video game translators at the time.

And in the case of the 8- and 16-bit eras, not so sure about the 64-bit, memory limitations were real. Written English fits less information into each character than written Japanese, which prevented full translations of wordy games. Woolsey was told at times to shave lines down to make the translation fit into FFIII's cartridge.

Translators could also be understaffed and unable to keep up with Japan's prolific text-heavy game output. Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PS1, 1999) had a pretty good gay couple, and 1930s German Dictator, two -unrelated- things could've been controversial in the West. -But that wasn't why the West had to wait until the 2011 PSP port to get P2IS. Atlus's translators didn't have the time and resources to consider translating Innocent Sin, they jumped right to the sequel Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (2000), which thankfully is a functional story without needing to play Innocent Sin.

Going back to the "video games are toys" point for a moment. Another instance of silly disregard for their artistic merits was the very first Persona, renamed "Revelations: Persona" in the West. They changed the Japanese town into an American town, replaced Japanese food with burgers, yen with dollars, Japanese names like Maki and Kei became Mary and Nate, they even turned one protagonist from white to black. I understand localizing things, and perhaps for little children this would be okay, but this is rightfully a laughably absurd example! (Even if the translators were merely operating on the wrongful assumptions of the time, that Japanese culture was too foreign for the West and needed Americanization.) -And for all those changes, they also cut out the entire second (lesser) storyline for no good reason, other than perhaps resource limitations.

Big oof.

9 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'd say, Ruben, you should've just waited for the Suikoden remasters. They're only like, what, just a couple weeks/months away now?

If I did I likely would not have even tried them due to the monetary requirement. I learned a lesson from Octopath 2: Don't be so quick to waste money on JRPGs because chances are I'm not going to like them. And, well, again, I knew that these games are piss easy, likely too much for me to enjoy them. If I had to spend money on them? No chance I'd have risked it.

Besides, as I said a bit earlier, no, we don't know the release date of those yet. For the time being they're stuck in limbo.

9 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J117.png

Just a quick annexation, nothing to worry about. Its the proper response to being invaded if you ask every civ player.

Hey I don't know if you're still in contact with Blindcoco?

Please tell them the pistol healer was genius. I need them to know the pistol healer was genius.

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J119.png

Some would have arguments for the guy on the right.

No, evil old man. Go kill him.

Sell it to the store, then buy it back with a unit that can actually use it.

9 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

What, you expect me to sell one of my games?.

I mean, you got two, don't you?

Maybe, but it doesn't seem to go for that much being that Melee is the best selling GameCube game. It's no Cubivore, that's for sure (which I also have, incidentally). Also I'm pretty sure that at least one of my copies doesn't work, but I'll have to check that later.

That's true. Oh well. Easy come...

They translated "open arms" literally.

Oh, that's beautiful.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Little power outage last night. -Right as I was about to post these responses.😆

10 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

I don't disagree. Leave me alone, and I'll tech away in peace. Invade, and if I'm not doomed from the start, the road to your capital will be long, but it will be taken. Also, I count foreign religions as invaders, so that missionary army counts as a declaration of war and I'll have your head Pacal!😃

10 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

One of the treasures I remember is the Bargain Ring. But don't fret too much if you miss it, it won't be lost forever.

Looking at the map, I do like how Agustria has a great big forest in the middle. Why is the country a donut with a tree-filled center? What does it say about the land and climate? Or about human development of Agustria's landscape?

I did hear that the Netherlands has the Groene Hart (Green Heart), a large (for the tiny Netherlands) rural area of farms and rolling grasslands/wetlands, encircled on all sides by major Dutch cities. It's not forest, and it'd be better if it was polders, but it's a quaint peculiarity nonetheless.

10 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think most English translations in the late 90s were done in Japan and English wasn't the translators' first language, hence the various typos.

I've heard it suggested that Final Fantasy IV ("II") SNES was translated by a nonnative speaker of English. And that indeed, one should only translate into a language they're a native speaker of. (I think translation teams with a mix of Japanese and English native speakers are commonplace/the standard now? Makes sense for the smoothest of translations.)

9 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Alright, more jobs! I'll "upgrade" my Warrior to a Knight, and turn my Red Mage into a Scholar. Gonna start abusing Thief+Scholar combo...

I'm not entirely sure, but I think I remember keeping a Thief in heavy use until the final crystal? I know I didn't need to do any massive grinding to steal Gungnir from Odin, that's for sure.

9 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

The one thing above all else i hope will be gone (and/or) majorily revamped upon remake

I like the idea of personal funds for everyone. But how to make it good in practice? Not sure. It clashes with FE putting you in charge of an army and commanding a war treasury, you aren't the individual soldiers.

What would a soldier do with their personal salary? Extra food/drink? Extra weapons/armor? Gamble? Hookers? Remittances sent home? It'd feel kinda weird even as the invisible player's hand directing soldiers to buy this stuff, not "natural" in FE as we know it. If you could give out treasury funds as "bonuses" atop the unseen salary paid to the soldiers, which the soldiers randomly spend (probabilities weighted according to their personal inclinations) for various benefits, then maybe that'd work? Eh, still feels off to me. Berwicenaries are still the best implementation of "soldiers having their own finances", even though we don't get to see into their wallets/how it's spent.

53 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Big oof.

If you want to waste your free time seeing some examples of ancient translations and their flaws, try here. The Final Fantasy VI dissection is wonderfully detailed.

The website hasn't been updated in years, IDK why. (Hard times IRL? Moved on to Patreon?) But it's by the guy who translated Mother 3, and still full of good stuff, if tending towards older translations and not more recent faux pas.

He did cover one little instance from Suikoden 1, once. And I'm sure he could've done a heckuva lot more of it.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer