Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Well, game certainly has opened up. No more "I need to report to X" or "I must go to X" anymore. The game told me to go to the office of the warriors guild I'd joined up with, but then let me wander off and get...

Radiata_Stories_SLUS-21262_20240122202459.png?ex=65c13797&is=65aec297&hm=9593b870011975fd337bd5ec81acaa3af7499c1008d70ad1ccb728b971f15d07&

Completely and utterly lost. Like I have no idea where I am anymore, I might as well not be in the same city at this point.

On brighter news, I recruited my first two friends. I wandered into a university, walked down a tower until I was at the very bottom and found a girl buried under boxes. Jack helped her in a cutscene and she joined the friend list. Next, I wandered into an alleyway and found a guy sleeping. I kicked him thrice instead of twice, and this woke him up. Expected a fight, but he thanked me, saying his boss would kick him a lot harder if he caught him sleeping. And then he too joined the friends list!

...I need to get back to base to change my party formation. And to save.

......Where in the world am I, how did I make it into the sewers

• Replies 180.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Ah, never mind, at one point the game went "okay this guy's never going to go back, let's teleport him to the guild so he can get on with it."

At least I found a couple friends. I can have a full party.

I was expecting that giving the "ignore defense" property to a magic orb would not work since knives that deal magic bonus damage also have that reduced by the enemy's magic stat. But it actually does function just fine.

I wanted to give that effect to Starlight, to go with Sanakia being basically kryptonite for catholic priests and bishops. I can't reduce the cooldown of Silence, so this seemed like the next best thing.
Also makes for a nice reference to FE1 and 3, I think.

Edited by BrightBow

33 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Radiata_Stories_SLUS-21262_20240122202459.png?ex=65c13797&is=65aec297&hm=9593b870011975fd337bd5ec81acaa3af7499c1008d70ad1ccb728b971f15d07&

Completely and utterly lost. Like I have no idea where I am anymore, I might as well not be in the same city at this point.

…So these are the kinds of games that tickle your fancy Rubenio.

Okay but this game is actually fucking amazing though. So you know how I've mentioned before that characters have their own daily routines and you just see them live their lives in the game world?

A guy went to the bathroom to take a shit.

It sounds absolutely ridiculous when I phrase it like that but seriously, how often do you see a character just go to the bathroom because he needs to poop in a videogame? And not as part of a cutscene or anything, just as something he does in his regular existence.

I don't know. It's just a tiny detail that's blown my mind just because it's the kind of tiny detail you never see in anything.

Radiata_Stories_SLUS-21262_2024012300262

Also I distracted him by talking and he wiped his ass with his bare hand.

Amazing.

Well, that was a spree. I found some creepshow priest peering through a window and wanting to wear some guy's belt. I obtained the belt, but then the monk had left, so I went looking for him. I ran into another priest who joined me upon being spoken to once. Cool dude. Then I found the first guy sitting on a bench and gave him the belt, which prompted him to join me as well. Afterwards, I encountered a guy on the street who had previously started a fight without needing to be kicked. He did so again, and lost again. He decided to join me to save face. I then wandered inside a clinic and found a girl who challenged me to the Radiata quiz, asking three questions. Knew the answers to two thanks to my aimless exploration, then lucked out on the third. My victory was rewarded with... a date with her, which naturally translated to her joining me.

And it's still not over. I found a cat belonging to another character I met earlier, but I couldn't find her. Will have to remember to return at mass time so I can find her at church.

Seriously insane how this game works. Between every single NPC having their own intricate daily routine following the game's time system, being recruitable with wildly different requirements, being able to kick anything and anyone to obtain stuff or provoke fights, the world is constantly moving and changing around me in a way that I don't think I've ever seen in a videogame. Not to this extent. I cannot imagine how much effort it must've taken to get to this point.

Oh right, one more thing.

I've been kicking children all game. Every time, they just called guards on me. I thought for sure this meant the game would feature no kid violence. Which, I mean, fair enough.

Welp!

Radiata_Stories_SLUS-21262_2024012300235

No such luck for THIS kid! This one gets smashed with an axe, no problemo!

I love this game.

Episode 32

• The name of this episode tells you its core- Shin Getter is unleashed.
    • Hayato and Gai go to Saotome, leaving Shou and Gou behind. Ryoma (I thought he was missing? Hayato didn't react to his reappearance, maybe because crisis moment?) prays at Musashi's grave. Dinosaur Empire attacks using regenerating Proto Getter Robos piloted by suicidal slightly-Getter Ray-resistant dinos to destroy the Shin Getter, Ryoma and Gai punch through the reptilian infantry inside Saotome as Shou and Gou fight the difficult battle. Shin Getter is unsealed, Gai gets in the cockpit, the accumulating Getter Rays reach concentrations that kill the Proto Getter-piloting dinosaurs. The other two join him in it.
      • Shin Getter 1's strongest weapon is a 4000 power Getter Beam. Yeah, it's getting more plot later.
  • During Neo Getter's fight with the Proto Gets, Rajin-Oh and the Bakuryu-Oh show up as early reinforcements, and like one turn later magically unlock the combination into God Raijin-Oh. Looks quite strong, also L-sized when Raijin-Oh is M-sized, detaching the Bakuryu mid-battle will be useful when fighting Grados. To think it's gotten to maximum power so soon when I've barely had it, but then other SRs and Reals alike begin at full strength.
    • God/Hyper(?) Thunder Crash I also noticed is a dynamic kill.
    • Rajin-Oh still did not join me when this battle was over.
  • A round of Dinosaur Empire regulars is accompanied by the arrival of the White Base (Gandor is still unavailable). In addition, Belzeb decides to attack again because Raijin-Oh is here.
  • At the same time, Muge lands another attack force led by Deathgaia with Shapiro aboard his ship. Dancouga's crew question why the Extradimensional Union is attack Japan, as if they know it's where the Federation's strength is located. -They don't yet realize, minus in Sara's thoughts, that Shapiro is to blame (earlier right after his defection, it was stated Shapiro knew half of the Fed's operational planning).
  • Reggiane is among the Muge forces, Akimi and Fairey think she is here for her own reasons unrelated to Muge. Reggiane said something about not wanting to mix troops to Shapiro and Deathgaia, her excuse as to why not a single Gadisword soldier has been deployed (indeed, I haven't seen a single Gadisword generic yet). I think Shap and 'gaia spoke to themselves about not trusting her.
  • At the battle's end, the defeated General Bat attempts a suicide attack, as per the NGR v. SGR script, he gets 'Beamed and "returns to the magma", to use his own words. His death is then reported to Emperor Gore. Gore states the Dinosaur Empire's plan will be to do nothing for now, waiting until one warring faction on Earth wins/the other loses (he spoke as if there is only two), and then the Dinosaur Empire will conquer the world.
    • Belzeb, the Dinosaur Empire, and probably Dr. Hell, all seem to be entirely-independent actors, not allying with any other evil power. 
    • Although, while the Extradimensional Union and Interstellar Alliance seem to make the villainy picture simple, it isn't really. Posaydal only cares about Pentagona, Edon is in the Alliance through no choice of their own, and its evil element + Galaxy/Galactic evils are largely tied up in Edon.
    • Zeon + Giganos might have surrendered to the Alliance, but I can't really count them as being part of it either.
    • ...Maybe GC included one license too many.😆 
  • Lastly, Regianne reported back to Herluga, who was seen unshadowed for the first time. He was disappointed by Reggiane's failure, and concerned about the Super Soul Saber, and the potential threat it may grow into. Recapturing Fairey so she can finish his work on C.U.B.E. is a top priority. Herluga ended by saying he may have to act soon -presumably send in an actual Gadisword army.

Sub-Episode 32

• Just Shin Getter Robo alone defending Saotome from more dinosaurs, Texas Mack shows up to help on like turn 2. I Iron Wall for two turns on Saotome and then the White Base arrives, this nothing more than a no-writing grinding battle that gives you the 100% American.

Okay, can't use my usual laptop for the time being. Today was a day of heavy downpour, so I have to stay at my dad's straight from work.

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Again, mandatory because Mazinkaiser debut, it was just thrown in kinda inorganically by making it its own chapter like this and so late.

Even more late than J did, huh. And then J had you use Koji and Sayaka since the beginning for a bit.

Japan is seemingly the last place on Earth safe for freedom-loving humanity. Refugees are flooding in, the coastal cities being exposed have been wrecked. Not good.

Reminds me of Z3. Japan was also like the only place Sidereal doesn't conquer before you start pushing them back. But, well, homeland bias and all that. I'm guilty of it, too, in some of my plot bunnies...

This is my first time I believe, being able to use a remote-controlled mech. I know they're the 1960s pre-Mazinger Z origins of mecha, in the form of Giant Robo and before that, Tetsujin No. 28, both of which I'm aware showed up in SRW (64 & Alpha for Giant, Z for the 80s version of Tetsujin).

Talk about right.

Watta returns home; the kid has had like zero plot despite having been always usable since the first chapter of this super robot war.

Even when it's a game that finally uses something more of Tryder... still gets the short stick, tsk.

56 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

At the battle's end, the defeated General Bat attempts a suicide attack, as per the NGR v. SGR script, he gets 'Beamed and "returns to the magma", to use his own words. His death is then reported to Emperor Gore. Gore states the Dinosaur Empire's plan will be to do nothing for now, waiting until one warring faction on Earth wins/the other loses (he spoke as if there is only two), and then the Dinosaur Empire will conquer the world.

Reminds me. This was also their plan in Alpha Gaiden... and yet, for some reason, still attack you for a final battle when it's still the Heroes and the Ancestors still standing. Granted, likely since the OG faction has to be defeated last, but it still makes Emperor Gore pull a 180 for seemingly no reason.

56 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

...Maybe GC included one license too many.😆 

Maybe, though the whole multi-faction war is still very interesting.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

g4kbfjd.png

48 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Cute way to explain/market the game.

Thinking of other games is making me realize how much GC is devouring me. But then, I welcomed being so consumed.😆

>no fishing

Can it even be called a JRPG then

19 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

>no fishing

Can it even be called a JRPG then

Isn't it a SRPG?

An actual mature response, i respect it.

But also now i'm just confused because they had apparently sorted this all out months ago in private so i don't know why he got put on blast for any reason other than clout tbh.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Thinking of other games is making me realize how much GC is devouring me. But then, I welcomed being so consumed.😆

I like that they had to explicitly state that fishing isn't in the game.

Well, since I can't begin my planned grinding session in FF III, I decided to start a playthrough of Professor Layton and the Curious Village. Just some fun pastime solving puzzles...

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

But also now i'm just confused because they had apparently sorted this all out months ago in private so i don't know why he got put on blast for any reason other than clout tb

yeah this all feels weird ngl

especially since she left out that it was all resolved a while ago and made it seem like it's a different thing.

Reading her stuff didn't imply at all that he stopped after she told him to stop, not that he has been in therapy since then (if she knew)

Ofc that's assuming what he is saying is true

22 minutes ago, Armagon said:

But also now i'm just confused because they had apparently sorted this all out months ago in private so i don't know why he got put on blast for any reason other than clout tbh.

What exactly is the deal with this? What did he even do? 

27 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

especially since she left out that it was all resolved a while ago and made it seem like it's a different thing.

Reading her stuff didn't imply at all that he stopped after she told him to stop, not that he has been in therapy since then (if she knew)

It gets weirder because in on because she shared additional screenshots where she can be saying "yes it's fine" and like, yeah consent can be withdrawn but i don't think the screenshots actually ever showed that.

13 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

What exactly is the deal with this? What did he even do? 

Chuggaconroy got accused of sexual harassment but it's not adding up. 

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Stumbled your way into a torture room did you...

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

A guy went to the bathroom to take a shit.

It sounds absolutely ridiculous when I phrase it like that but seriously, how often do you see a character just go to the bathroom because he needs to poop in a videogame? And not as part of a cutscene or anything, just as something he does in his regular existence.

I don't know. It's just a tiny detail that's blown my mind just because it's the kind of tiny detail you never see in anything.

The first one that comes to mind is the MGS games I guess. Its a recurring joke for the series to have a character named Johnny Sasaki to have a case of the shits, and characters using the restroom comes up a little more with things like noticing one of the soldier uses the lady's room being a hint for making contact with Meryl Silverburgh in MGS 1, or intentionally baiting people into eating rotten food to give em the shits in MGS 3 for instance...

Its a bit different, but I like how the Persona games also allows your character to use the restroom.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Seriously insane how this game works. Between every single NPC having their own intricate daily routine following the game's time system, being recruitable with wildly different requirements, being able to kick anything and anyone to obtain stuff or provoke fights, the world is constantly moving and changing around me in a way that I don't think I've ever seen in a videogame. Not to this extent. I cannot imagine how much effort it must've taken to get to this point.

What is the name of this game again, I am getting a bit curious about it...

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It really is. Its been enough that I will keep my eye on it when it comes out, when otherwise it would probably not be on my radar.

There's something funny about that six-person town from NH voting and announcing results practically right away.

Episode 33

• It's title was like "The Demon Descends", which made me realize what it likely was. Indeed, more Mazinkaiser played pure and straight.
    • Photon Power Labs gets attacked by the Ashura Mazinger, the Mazinger Team deploys. I have Tetsuya solo the initial enemies again. On a map that looks identical to J's for the same event -minus Zeorymer and Lanstar of the Winds, I would have welcomed them.
    • The White Base eventually shows up along with more Mechabeasts. I destroy the Ashura Mazinger, the berserk Mazinkaiser shows up to OHKO the fully-healed Ashura Mazinger, then attacks the Great and leave it at 10 HP. I destroy the Mazinkaiser (not reduce to below 5-10% of its HP as in J), Tetsuya attacks the 'kaiser and at the same time protects the Lab from being destroyed. Kouji wakes up afterwards, talk of what the 'kaiser is and -J might've excluded this- says without proper training, it'll drive its pilot berserk. 
      • As in J, it looks like Mazinkaiser has 99 ammo for the Giant Missiles. Why? is the question.
  • Some Jaku Beasts/Akudama also showed up as enemy reinforcements after the White Base arrived. Belzeb was nowhere in sight, just an excuse to get Raijin-Oh on the field which it did a few turns later. Though it was commented on (Akimi I believe spoke) that the Jaku Beasts are annoying because they can appear anywhere without warning, I suppose the heroes don't understand the source of this villainy very well.
    • Random aside, I couldn't quite remember the Raijin-Oh pilots' names, so I looked at them again. The lead being "Jin Hyuuga" triggered a slight Xeno smile from me, assuring I'll be able to remember it.
  • More importantly, before the battle, there was a briefing with Quattro in charge. 
    • There was more talk of who might have informed the Extradimensional Union that Japan is the center of Federation firepower. Amuro with Lalah's confirmation silently hinted at Shapiro of course.
    • The Philippines have fallen to the Extradimensional Union. The reason for this is likely their proximity to China, which is likely to be the next target of the Interstellar Alliance, and thus taking the Philippines means that the Extradimensional Union could strike the Alliance while they're conquering China.
    • The reason for the Alliance being likely to target China, is because Giganos is now a member. Chinese factories are where the mass production of Metal Armors (Dragoons no doubt) and Mobile Suits is underway. Once enough of these new mass production units are churned out, the Earth Federation will be able to launch an offensive.
    • Thus, the White Base will leave for China, to protect those precious weapons factories. But not quite yet, the stay a little longer in Japan being what lets the Base save the day at Photon Power Labs.
  • After the battle, Baron Ashura goes to apologize to Dr. Hell. Mazinger Team is told to join the White Base to help defend China. -Kouji did not become playable just yet though, it seems he needs to train with Mazinkaiser more.
  • Similarly, the Defense Class is told they're boarding the White Base because of the Chinese situation as well. Their teachers shall not be joining them, but the children will be getting schooled by the people on the White Base. Also, Bright is in charge of the kids -he acts professionally and shows no signs of despair. Though he does shortly afterwards tell Quattro that RaIjin-Oh has no operating manual, the kids get to decide that stuff, he sighs that that will make repair work difficult. -So I now have God Raijin-Oh too at last, despite showing up in the first scenario.
    • ...And once Koji is ready, I'll at long last have all the lead protagonists playable. Took a while.

Sub-Episode 33

• For once in a very long time, I have to prevent enemies from stepping on a certain area. The Photon Power Lab again, another Baron Ashura attack. However, I only have Sayaka in her new Venus A (you don't get it without playing this Sub-Scenario) and Boss Borot (an oddity- Boss is of a normal level, but his lackey subs are only level 10 this late in the game), two very weak units (Venus A is a little better in J, Boss Borot much better). As soon as you get Sayaka injured though, Tetsuya deploys with a slightly damaged Great Mazinger, despite Jun warning him repairs weren't finished yet. Kouji doesn't because he needs more training with the 'kaiser, and the professor warns this is probably a trap to steal Mazinkaiser.
  • After one turn on the field, Great Mazinger gets destroyed. I've actually lost it now, for the time being at least. But the White Base arrives (a little late because a battle happened offscreen) and I Accel my way into securing the Lab which would have otherwise fallen (some enemies were right next to it). It's an easy win after this. Still, a sorta creative situation.

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Even more late than J did, huh. And then J had you use Koji and Sayaka since the beginning for a bit.

They did show up in one battle during the brief turn to Japan, like... Episode 9? But that was it.

...I'm not criticizing GC's choice to forgo any splits at all, it's a decision whose results I want to see. But, I was neutrally thinking of how you'd structure/adjust GC if it did have route splits. Now clearly, I can't fully imagine this until I'm done with the game. But right now, the obvious, if late, first split would be staying with the White Base or going with the Gandor after Solomon. The White Base stay option wouldn't be a bad place to fit a moment of Mazinkaiser, besides the recruitment of Lalah/Quattro/Kamille/Emma, and covering the initial alien invasion and introducing Layzner. 

Even when it's a game that finally uses something more of Tryder... still gets the short stick, tsk.

I feel like Tryder was there at the start to be what Koji and Voltes would be in J. Early super robots when you're going through a long starting stretch of Real plot and characters. Braigar also fulfilled this role, albeit with little gaps in availability (and other than two snakebites, it has remained in the story background).

Reminds me of Z3. Japan was also like the only place Sidereal doesn't conquer before you start pushing them back. But, well, homeland bias and all that. I'm guilty of it, too, in some of my plot bunnies...

Nothing wrong with that.😃 We don't need all stories set in Japan/Tokyo or USA/NYC. It'd be nice to have Uzbekistan for a change and Tashkent be the axis mundi -to throw a dart at a map, so to speak.

Reminds me. This was also their plan in Alpha Gaiden... and yet, for some reason, still attack you for a final battle when it's still the Heroes and the Ancestors still standing. Granted, likely since the OG faction has to be defeated last, but it still makes Emperor Gore pull a 180 for seemingly no reason.

Huh. I'm not sure if Emperor Gore would even have that kind of "patience" here. Since L-Gaim matters make a return to Pentagona seem inevitable, GC could pull an Alpha 3 (or even A or J really) and resolve all matters on the Earth before heading into space for the endgame.

Maybe, though the whole multi-faction war is still very interesting.

Oh it is.😃 I like the mess, for whatever my worries I have about it.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As in J, it looks like Mazinkaiser has 99 ammo for the Giant Missiles. Why? is the question.

Surprisingly common in many SRW's... and yeah, I don't get it either.

...I'm not criticizing GC's choice to forgo any splits at all, it's a decision whose results I want to see. But, I was neutrally thinking of how you'd structure/adjust GC if it did have route splits. Now clearly, I can't fully imagine this until I'm done with the game. But right now, the obvious, if late, first split would be staying with the White Base or going with the Gandor after Solomon. The White Base stay option wouldn't be a bad place to fit a moment of Mazinkaiser, besides the recruitment of Lalah/Quattro/Kamille/Emma, and covering the initial alien invasion and introducing Layzner. 

That's not a bad idea.

I feel like Tryder was there at the start to be what Koji and Voltes would be in J. Early super robots when you're going through a long starting stretch of Real plot and characters. Braigar also fulfilled this role, albeit with little gaps in availability (and other than two snakebites, it has remained in the story background).

That was Combattler, not Voltes, heh. And yeah, it does sound like a similar situation.

Nothing wrong with that.😃 We don't need all stories set in Japan/Tokyo or USA/NYC. It'd be nice to have Uzbekistan for a change and Tashkent be the axis mundi -to throw a dart at a map, so to speak.

Finally, the rise of Lichtenstein World Power.

Huh. I'm not sure if Emperor Gore would even have that kind of "patience" here. Since L-Gaim matters make a return to Pentagona seem inevitable, GC could pull an Alpha 3 (or even A or J really) and resolve all matters on the Earth before heading into space for the endgame.

Well, maybe not wait until the end of the game, but for all the factions currently fighting on Earth.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

7 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

As I understand it, she got frustrated by the legions of internet people putting him up on a pedestal and calling him a "wholesome bean" who only has "green flags" and decided to expose his darker side. If you've been harrassed by someone and then you see people worshipping him as some kind of perfect saint, I can totally understand losing your temper.

Also, there's something that doesn't quite convince me here. Do we really have proof that it was all resolved months ago? He just casually said that in his response. When Emily said that she had spoken to "other women" and they too expressed concerns about him, everyone piled up on her and demanded proof of it. Now everyone's just instantly accepting Chugga's claim that it was resolved months ago, even though it is equally as unproven? We don't know if this is true. He could just be saying that to damage her credibility.

7 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Stumbled your way into a torture room did you...

I don't know how I did it.

The first one that comes to mind is the MGS games I guess. Its a recurring joke for the series to have a character named Johnny Sasaki to have a case of the shits, and characters using the restroom comes up a little more with things like noticing one of the soldier uses the lady's room being a hint for making contact with Meryl Silverburgh in MGS 1, or intentionally baiting people into eating rotten food to give em the shits in MGS 3 for instance...

That's fairly interesting. It's more game mechanics than just characters living their lives in the game world, but of course, MGS has a much different setting and structure. This isn't something you can do in any game ever, but I do appreciate how, in the context of "JRPG town where people are just living their lives", they went extra lengths to make the world and its NPCs feel more organic and alive rather than resorting to the classic "NPC is just standing here for all time" handwave.

What is the name of this game again, I am getting a bit curious about it...

Radiata Stories, on the PS2.

If you decide to play it, hit me up. It's a game that looks really good for a PS2 game already, but there's an HD pack that makes it look like a PS3 game. However, the person that made it put a 10$ paywall on it some time after releasing it. I obtained it by... other means. If you want, I can send it to you - or anyone else who becomes curious to try the game, of course.