Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Screenshot_2024-01-25-09-04-07-42_0b2fce

This might just be the single worst tweet of all time.

5 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Eldigan is a lot more conflicted with his role, and can be talked down into trying to oppose his king, just not with swords, only with words

He was a fool to think words would even work on Chagall.

5 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Ishtar

Spoilering cause Guardian is playing

Spoiler

The thing is that comparison doesn't work because she still willingly (but reluctantly) participated in those atrocities. The Pope opposed the Nazis the whole time but engaged in diplomacy to save as many as they could. Ishtar, despite being aware that Julius had actually become the Antichrist by that point, still remained loyal to him.

By the final chapter, she should've realized that it was a lost cause. "Oh but the Liberation Army killed her family" yeah except that family includes Tine/Linda, who survived because they realized they were on the wrong side of history. Also because Hilda is a bitch, a fact that Ishtar was also fully aware of btw. In fact, everyone in the Friege family knew that Hilda beat Talitiu to death and mercilessly abused Tine/Linde but they said nothing.

• Replies 177.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

11 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Sounds a bit weird to remain underground when Olban is dead.

-This is well before Olban dies, I forget when exactly, but not too long after she returns to Little Bharm.

Or rather, since GC is the Mazinkaiser OVA's debut, then it's more to say this one got replaced with Mazin Kenzan.

I can see why they'd swap it out. Methinks SRW fans are used to things with more kick and less austerity.

Speaking of...

This instead of Time for L-Gaim was also surprising.

Ah, okay, the FMP finale was right after the Mazinkaizer one.

It was a choice, having a trio of plots, Mazinkaiser-FMP-HPZ, all conclude in scenarios 30-32, in a 52-scenario game. But then, two of these were OVAs, and the other was of a smaller scale and wedded to the OVAs. So I think it was a logical decision?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Spoilering cause Guardian is playing

Hide contents

The thing is that comparison doesn't work because she still willingly (but reluctantly) participated in those atrocities. The Pope opposed the Nazis the whole time but engaged in diplomacy to save as many as they could. Ishtar, despite being aware that Julius had actually become the Antichrist by that point, still remained loyal to him.

By the final chapter, she should've realized that it was a lost cause. "Oh but the Liberation Army killed her family" yeah except that family includes Tine/Linda, who survived because they realized they were on the wrong side of history. Also because Hilda is a bitch, a fact that Ishtar was also fully aware of btw. In fact, everyone in the Friege family knew that Hilda beat Talitiu to death and mercilessly abused Tine/Linde but they said nothing.

Spoiler

To be fair, even that has some complexity.

Hilda is terrible, yes, but remember. Hilda likely heard a lot of the "Sigurd is evil" propaganda. She and her husband. Tailtu would not be seen with good eyes by them because not only did she betrayed the family, she helped commit patricide due to Reptor's death. So Hilda's torture of Tailtu is part her sadistic nature, part of what Hilda believes is punishment to a traitor and kinslayer. Blume likewise didn't do much about it since he too must feel the same.

Ishtar also grew up during the Golden Era of Arvis' Empire. How often she also heard the propaganda? How often she got told how her aunt betrayed them and killed her grandfather? Seliph, the son of the Traitor, killing off her family likely hits too close to home for her. Hard to shake that off with all she grew up with.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-This is well before Olban dies, I forget when exactly, but not too long after she returns to Little Bharm.

Well, I was referring more to after.

I can see why they'd swap it out. Methinks SRW fans are used to things with more kick and less austerity.

Speaking of...

This instead of Time for L-Gaim was also surprising.

Oh, also different, hmm.

It was a choice, having a trio of plots, Mazinkaiser-FMP-HPZ, all conclude in scenarios 30-32, in a 52-scenario game. But then, two of these were OVAs, and the other was of a smaller scale and wedded to the OVAs. So I think it was a logical decision?

I guess. Also at least for Mazin-FMP, there was an actual partnership there, no? The terrorists working/hired for Dr. Hell.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

22 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:
  Reveal hidden contents

To be fair, even that has some complexity.

Hilda is terrible, yes, but remember. Hilda likely heard a lot of the "Sigurd is evil" propaganda. She and her husband. Tailtu would not be seen with good eyes by them because not only did she betrayed the family, she helped commit patricide due to Reptor's death. So Hilda's torture of Tailtu is part her sadistic nature, part of what Hilda believes is punishment to a traitor and kinslayer. Blume likewise didn't do much about it since he too must feel the same.

Ishtar also grew up during the Golden Era of Arvis' Empire. How often she also heard the propaganda? How often she got told how her aunt betrayed them and killed her grandfather? Seliph, the son of the Traitor, killing off her family likely hits too close to home for her. Hard to shake that off with all she grew up with.

Spoiler

I get that but Ares and Tine also believed in the "Sigurd is evil" propaganda but eventually realized it was wrong. The problem with Camus archetypes is that they are presented with all the evidence that they are in the wrong side of history and decide "but muh loyalty". Like I said, by the final chapter, Ishtar should've realized that it was basically over. Ishtar isn't even the most egregious case in the series, I think that dishonor goes to Selena.

I do like the Mousetrapped version of Pete.

https://mousetrappedcomic.blog/post/7401*93423482667008/mousetrapped-16-who-says

7872e90a5bce4be3ecc711dced9e47f00998630e

I'm mostly familiar with him from the comics, but I don't recall Pete ever kicking much ass. Mostly he just waves a gun around.
Without a firearm to coerce people with, he was never able to put up much resistance. Which I always felt rather disappointing considering he most certainly looked formidable.

Edited by BrightBow

39 minutes ago, Armagon said:
  Hide contents

I get that but Ares and Tine also believed in the "Sigurd is evil" propaganda but eventually realized it was wrong. The problem with Camus archetypes is that they are presented with all the evidence that they are in the wrong side of history and decide "but muh loyalty". Like I said, by the final chapter, Ishtar should've realized that it was basically over. Ishtar isn't even the most egregious case in the series, I think that dishonor goes to Selena.

Spoiler

And both those cases have distinctions.

Tine is much younger than Ishtar, and is directly the daughter of Tailtu. She isn't as indoctrinated, plus she also bared some of the collateral Hilda aimed at Tailtu. She is upset for Ishtor's death, but is also willing to listen to Arthur out.

Ares grew among mercenaries. Also, he still remains suspicious of Seliph for a bit. He's willing to hear Nanna out, but isn't outright trusting Seliph blindly. He's a merc, so there's flexibility to him switching sides, plus he was also more angry at Bramsel due to Lene.

💀💀💀

17 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:
  Reveal hidden contents

And both those cases have distinctions.

Tine is much younger than Ishtar, and is directly the daughter of Tailtu. She isn't as indoctrinated, plus she also bared some of the collateral Hilda aimed at Tailtu. She is upset for Ishtor's death, but is also willing to listen to Arthur out.

Ares grew among mercenaries. Also, he still remains suspicious of Seliph for a bit. He's willing to hear Nanna out, but isn't outright trusting Seliph blindly. He's a merc, so there's flexibility to him switching sides, plus he was also more angry at Bramsel due to Lene.

Spoiler

And then there's Arion, who was convinced by Altena to side with her despite Travant being struck down by the Liberation Army.

I didn't bring up Linda because her mother is Talitu's sister and thus, had no association with Sigurd's group. But because of how substitutes work, the trauma they suffered is the same.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Hide contents

And then there's Arion, who was convinced by Altena to side with her despite Travant being struck down by the Liberation Army.

I didn't bring up Linda because her mother is Talitu's sister and thus, had no association with Sigurd's group. But because of how substitutes work, the trauma they suffered is the same.

Spoiler

Well... that's basically it. As Arion himself says, he's only joining for her, not Seliph.

Dialogue does state Ethnia joined Sigurd as well, even if it is something we never see.

Goddamn, Square Enix would be impressed by the speed with which this is shut down.
I mean, announcing the end of a "life service" before it's even launched got to be a new record.

Okay but wait why does this go so fucking hard?

It's just a desert area where I went to get tiger teeth for a sweaty guy.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:
  Hide contents

Is it already time for me to present my "Selena lost the will to live after realizing Vigarde could never be saved and decided to commit suicide by Ephraim" theory/headcanon that totally doesn't absolve her from causing the deaths of like 30 Grado soldiers under her command?

Far as I'm concerned, it is difficult to be worse than the guy whose boss is to be married to Literal Satan - who by the way forced her to get rid of him because he threatened to murder him if he ever saw him again, whose own sister turned coat and is begging him to do the right thing, who received the advice to listen to his sister by the empire's most brilliant tactician and in the end still decided to stay loyal to the country that conducts child hunts because... ?????

57 minutes ago, Armagon said:

💀💀💀

Hate to double post but I can't edit my previous post anymore, Serenes moment

Aaaanyway, yeah I saw that. Look, I'm really sorry, but if anyone spends money on this regardless, they're just plain stupid. I know it's harsh, but we can't start funding, and thus enabling and encouraging, videogames with expiration dates now.

Like, what the fuck is this shit? People still read books that are thousands of years old, basically the only way for a book to be lost is for every copy in existence to be destroyed. And then we have the chucklefucks at the videogame medium putting expiration dates on their own things of three fucking months. What's even the point?

16 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Okay but wait why does this go so fucking hard?

It's just a desert area where I went to get tiger teeth for a sweaty guy.

JRPGs and desert themes going hard. Go hand in hand.

But also this one sounds like a Bowser event in a Mario Party lmao.

16 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Is it already time for me to present my "Selena lost the will to live after realizing Vigarde could never be saved and decided to commit suicide by Ephraim" theory/headcanon that totally doesn't absolve her from causing the deaths of like 30 Grado soldiers under her command?

You could apply this to Brunya too.

17 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Far as I'm concerned, it is difficult to be worse than the guy whose boss is to be married to Literal Satan - who by the way forced her to get rid of him because he threatened to murder him if he ever saw him again, whose own sister turned coat and is begging him to do the right thing, who received the advice to listen to his sister by the empire's most brilliant tactician and in the end still decided to stay loyal to the country that conducts child hunts because... ?????

And he's like "my sister will do what I could not" BITCH JOIN HER! IT'S THAT EASY!

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Aaaanyway, yeah I saw that. Look, I'm really sorry, but if anyone spends money on this regardless, they're just plain stupid. I know it's harsh, but we can't start funding, and thus enabling and encouraging, videogames with expiration dates now.

Like, what the fuck is this shit? People still read books that are thousands of years old, basically the only way for a book to be lost is for every copy in existence to be destroyed. And then we have the chucklefucks at the videogame medium putting expiration dates on their own things of three fucking months. What's even the point?

So in this particular case, the JP server announced the shutdown months ago but I guess they're still legally contractually obligated to release the global? Despite the shutdown imminent.

The thing with gachas is that a lot of them split the servers by region. Most of the time JP is gonna be ahead of everyone else. And most of the time the JP servers are the ones who do the heavy lifting. Even the more popular ones like Fate/ Grand Order do this. Sometimes, the global servers die but the JP servers keep going. This happened to one of Cygames' gachas, Princess Connect. If the JP server stops making money, then it's over.

This is where FEH is an exception actually. In addition to IP power, there is no split between Japan and the rest of the world. It's all one server so all the money that flows in is international. It doesn't have to rely on specifically Japanese sales to keep going.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

You could apply this to Brunya too.

I've described her as Selena But Worse in the past. She suffers from having far less screentime and her love interest being an evil bastard with full agency and control of his actions rather than a corpse who does not know he is dead.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

And he's like "my sister will do what I could not" BITCH JOIN HER! IT'S THAT EASY!

Best character in the game: "This guy is a cowardly asshole."

Simps: "No listen it's not that simple."

Kaga: "No he's right actually."

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So in this particular case, the JP server announced the shutdown months ago but I guess they're still legally contractually obligated to release the global? Despite the shutdown imminent.

The thing with gachas is that a lot of them split the servers by region. Most of the time JP is gonna be ahead of everyone else. And most of the time the JP servers are the ones who do the heavy lifting. Even the more popular ones like Fate/ Grand Order do this. Sometimes, the global servers die but the JP servers keep going. This happened to one of Cygames' gachas, Princess Connect. If the JP server stops making money, then it's over.

This is where FEH is an exception actually. In addition to IP power, there is no split between Japan and the rest of the world. It's all one server so all the money that flows in is international. It doesn't have to rely on specifically Japanese sales to keep going.

Gachas need to die out. That's all I've got to say.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I've described her as Selena But Worse in the past. She suffers from having far less screentime and her love interest being an evil bastard with full agency and control of his actions rather than a corpse who does not know he is dead.

Don't forget that she keeps going after Zephiel is dead. Like you lost the war sis, pack it up.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Best character in the game: "This guy is a cowardly asshole."

Simps: "No listen it's not that simple."

Kaga: "No he's right actually."

He is an obstacle for Olwen to overcome and he plays that part well. Not sure why anyone would feel the need to make him out to be more than that.

Well, he also provides some good comedy if you berserk him. I suppose that is something.

Edited by BrightBow

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Don't forget that she keeps going after Zephiel is dead. Like you lost the war sis, pack it up.

To her credit, she does all but beg for her followers to desert her, and when they refuse, she outright forces anyone with a family waiting on them to leave. That's something Selena doesn't bother doing in her grand final suicide-battle, so that's one point I have to give to her.

8 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

He is an obstacle for Olwen to overcome and he plays that part well. Not sure why anyone would feel the need to make him out to be more than that.

I mean, "well"... I don't know if I'd say "well" when the optimal way to get past him is to warpskip the map and avoid confronting him entirely.

And storywise, I'd say he'd play the part a lot better if they didn't half-ass it and made him an outright villain. Like, he genuinely believes in Friege and is perfectly fine with the child hunts. He's a polite monster, but only because he truly believes what he's doing is right. Olwen escaping the rut she was raised in and seeing the man she used to idolize for the complicit asshole that he is, that'd be compelling. But instead, they try to have their cake and eat it too, and try to present him as someone who's honorable and reasonable.

In the scene where August is criticizing him as a coward, Dorias and then Olwen defend him and she gets the final word in that scene. But then the game just proves August right. And this would be fine if her arc was, again, to raise above the propaganda and manipulation she grew up with and see her homeland for what it's become, but it doesn't feel that way because of how Reinhardt is written. He seems like he agrees entirely with Olwen, but he just doesn't follow her because... I don't know? He has absolutely nothing left for him in Friege and his only family is begging him to join her!

Edited by Saint Rubenio

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

In the scene where August is criticizing him as a coward, Dorias and then Olwen defend him and she gets the final word in that scene. But then the game just proves August right. And this would be fine if her arc was, again, to raise above the propaganda and manipulation she grew up with and see her homeland for what it's become, but it doesn't feel that way because of how Reinhardt is written. He seems like he agrees entirely with Olwen, but he just doesn't follow her because... I don't know? He has absolutely nothing left for him in Friege and his only family is begging him to join her!

August says nothing about Reinhardt being a coward. He says calling him a man of honor is absurd because he is a willing accomplice in the atrocities of the empire.

August: “You call a man who helps kidnap children honorable?
Hmph…this is the problem with you knights. You know nothing of reality.”

Dorias: “What did you say? What don’t I know, August?”

August: “Rinehart is Queen Ishtar’s first guard. Ishtar is Prince Yurius’
lover. And Yurius is said to be an incarnation of the dark god, Lopto. They are all servants of Lopto… They are leading this world to destruction.”

August is also the one who gets the final word in during that scene. Not Olwen.

Olwen: “No! My brother… Rinehart is not a servant of Lopto!”

August: “…Who are you?”

Olwen“Olwen… I am Rinehart’s sister…”

Leaf: “I allowed her into our army.”

August: “I see. Very well… Then open your eyes and look carefully. See for yourself what the Empire really is…”

I don't see anything meant to indicate that August is supposed to be wrong about Reinhardt being an asshole.

And Olwen's arc is about following her own path instead of remaining a clingy baby sister. Doesn't matter if Reinhardt is a good guy or a bad guy. That has ultimately nothing to do with her arc.
What matters is if she is firm enough in her believes and strong enough in her heart to stand up to him.

46 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

August says nothing about Reinhardt being a coward. He says calling him a man of honor is absurd because he is a willing accomplice in the atrocities of the empire.

August: “You call a man who helps kidnap children honorable?
Hmph…this is the problem with you knights. You know nothing of reality.”

Dorias: “What did you say? What don’t I know, August?”

August: “Rinehart is Queen Ishtar’s first guard. Ishtar is Prince Yurius’
lover. And Yurius is said to be an incarnation of the dark god, Lopto. They are all servants of Lopto… They are leading this world to destruction.”

August is also the one who gets the final word in during that scene. Not Olwen.

Olwen: “No! My brother… Rinehart is not a servant of Lopto!”

August: “…Who are you?”

Olwen“Olwen… I am Rinehart’s sister…”

Leaf: “I allowed her into our army.”

August: “I see. Very well… Then open your eyes and look carefully. See for yourself what the Empire really is…”

I don't see anything meant to indicate that August is supposed to be wrong about Reinhardt being an asshole.

And Olwen's arc is about following her own path instead of remaining a clingy baby sister. Doesn't matter if Reinhardt is a good guy or a bad guy. That has ultimately nothing to do with her arc.
What matters is if she is firm enough in her believes and strong enough in her heart to stand up to him.

Fair enough. I did misremember the scene. I still think Reinhardt could be a lot better, but, eh.

15 hours ago, Armagon said:

Dawg this is the game where you can save every turn 💀

Listen it was either him or someone else, it was a trolley problem situation.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'm really sorry, but if anyone spends money on this regardless, they're just plain stupid.

This a bit harsh.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Like, he genuinely believes in Friege and is perfectly fine with the child hunts.

What's funny is that Friege as a family is opposed to the child hunts (well not Hilda) but when having to choose between the side that eats babies and the side that doesn't, they choose the former.

It's all a mess honestly.

34 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Listen it was either him or someone else, it was a trolley problem situation.

Could've reloaded the turn.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Could've reloaded the turn.

I reloaded several turns, but there was not a save I had where in I could do a move that would keep everyone alive, someone had to die.

Well there might have been one but after 37 retries I couldn't be bothered at that point.