Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

11 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J250.png

"That's what I've been doing the entire damn game, Claude!"

Don't fix what ain't broken, as they say.

11 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J253.pngFire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J254.png

So uh...are ya gonna let us in and help or...

Welcome to the forcefields. I consider this chapter the worst FE4 gen 1 has to offer, and this is one of the reasons.

The "dance in the skies" setpiece is cool, I won't deny that, but the fact that to keep you from interfering they resorted to something so lazy as an invisible wall is just... Jeez, guys, couldn't you come up with anything less stupid?

9 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Having plot barriers is one thing, but I'm confused why they placed it this close to the player's main castle.

I mean, you have to cross those mountains anyway. Just move the barrier further South.

That'd been a start. You're more likely to be headed north, so having to cross all the way through the mountains in the wrong direction to run into the forcefield would've gone a long way to make it seem less... well, forced.

Alternatively, design the map in a more deliberate way - instead of the Dew bridge dumbassery and the menial backtracking that follows, simply have a relatively linear path with the first castle between the main one and the setpiece. Then you can have the fight break out at a point that would make it very difficult for the player to reach in time to do anything. Bonus points if Mahnya is a secret recruitable should you be able to pull it off.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ruben really won't be getting sleep now when his country is six hours ahead of the finals.

No problem, I'm back at the hometown. No neighbors here.

...Also wow American gas stations really do have a fucking basket of 'Murican flags sitting on top. That's uncanny.

• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Krispy Kreme dispenser at the Walmart, that's new.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

.Also wow American gas stations really do have a fucking basket of 'Murican flags sitting on top. That's uncanny.

Just as the Founding Fathers intended.

Funnily enough, I don't see flags that often at the gas station here and I live in Florida. But it's also accurate too depending on where you're at.

8 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

It took a bit to figure out based on just a screenshot, but I believe its the Grannvale Army 1 Theme that plays there, although I am not entirely sure where you might have heard it before.

AHAH! I HAVE IT!

I had never heard the Grannvale song specifically before but I swore it reminded me of another song, which was Stone Tower Temple from Majora's Mask. They definitely are different but the way they set up the beat is very similar and quite unique. They also start with nearly the exact same rhythm melody.

Now that I'm listening to it again though, some parts of the melody for Army of Grannvale also kind of remind of parts in Twilight of The Gods, though maybe I'm just hearing things.

8 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

This is entirely unrelated, but just out of curiosity, which characters are lovers so far, and are there any people you are trying to make lovers?

Azel is with Aideen. Sylvia is with Lewyn (A fact that I only learned after a conversation between Lewyn and Erin where she talked about winning him over despite Erin's obvious crush on him. In fact I tried to hard switch relationship building of Lewyn so Erin could get what she wanted but it was too late, so big oof for her) Midir is with Bridget because I though that initial meeting was cute and Claude is with Taillte.

In terms of relationships I wanna push going forward, I've always had a "Ship them for their designs and dynamic, not their stats" mentality to these games but if we're being honest, the remaining bachelors for any of the bachelorettes kinda bore me so I settled on them a bit arbitrarily. So far I'm thinking Ayra with Holyn, Erin with Jamke and Raquesis with Dew.

I like how I had more to say on shipping characters in this one game than I have had to say on managing stats and classes in literally all of the other games I've ever played on here

Also I take back the comment I made ages ago about Fire Emblem music not being particularly memorable till Awakening. I really like Genealogy's music so far.

Edited by GuardianSing

All right! First promotion of the run. Izerna, predictably enough. To add insult to injury, Adel got crippled right at the end of the ma where she reached level 10 and 30 light skill.

...I have three paralogues available. I don't want to buy a panacea for him, but... damn that's so many maps worth of spear skill he'll miss. On the other hand, might be a good opportunity to focus on Daoud and leave Adel for later. Hmm.

Also

TearRing_Saga_Series__Berwick_Saga_-_Laz

If you set these settings at the main menu and start a new game, the game gives you the option to play with classic FE turns, with player phase and enemy phase and stuff. You know, make the game worse.

HOW THE FUCK DID I NEVER LEARN OF THIS UNTIL TODAY

HOW DOES THIS GAME KEEP SURPRISING ME ALL THESE YEARS LATER

...Wait

@Armagon

You can play Berwick Saga with classic FE turns

And I'm only learning of this now

You have no excuse now

Edited by Saint Rubenio

All jokes aside, that sounds pretty damn bad I won't lie. On top of having a ton more boring downtime, the game's decidedly not designed for this kind of thing. Sequential turns would make most of the game a breeze, except maybe for a few very specific encounters where being able to do turn order shenanigans really helps - then it's a lot worse than normal.

Still, fascinating easter egg. With those triggering requirements, it really feels like a schoolyard rumor kinda thing lol

>Looks at comments

Yeah it was never about the "original language" huh. All them weebs who complained about localization and how the original voice acting is "closer to the author's intent" now throwing a hissy fit because the Korean game isn't shipping internationally with JP voice acting. 

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You can play Berwick Saga with classic FE turns

And I'm only learning of this now

You have no excuse now

Very cool. Now is there a setting that gives units hit rates?

11 minutes ago, Armagon said:
>Looks at comments

Yeah it was never about the "original language" huh. All them weebs who complained about localization and how the original voice acting is "closer to the author's intent" now throwing a hissy fit because the Korean game isn't shipping internationally with JP voice acting. 

I mean, the way is worded, do the Japanese VA's really objected to having their voices leave Japan?

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Work is making me realize how worthless life is

new game, the game gives you the option to play with classic FE turns, with player phase and enemy phase and stuff. You know, make the game worse.

...Wait

Bto wtf

How? Why? What?

17 minutes ago, Armagon said:

how the original voice acting is "closer to the author's intent"

I've never heard that one before and i am deep into weeb circles

The one i hear (and usually agree with) is delivering feelings better and not feeling weird...but that's not exclusive to jp stuff, i hate most dubs that aren't the og language.

That said, jp voices being region locked is dumb, even if it doesn't bother me.

Also kinda funny you picked this from that game and not everything else :sip:

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

If you set these settings at the main menu and start a new game, the game gives you the option to play with classic FE turns, with player phase and enemy phase and stuff. You know, make the game worse.

Just keep in mind that you need to start a new game without selecting a system file or by creating a new one.
It's not gonna work if you pick an existing system file.

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Very cool. Now is there a setting that gives units hit rates?

Reese' Commander skill gives +10. Adel and Leon's Support skill gives +20 on top of that. Chris can add +30 with her Aim skill. Dean also can add +22 using Desperation. Ward is so naturally accurate that he reaches 100 hit with just Reese around.
And that's just the first map.

Edited by BrightBow

image.jpeg.3ffe4a1d185874103b2aca8c931a2966.jpeg

There are days when I feel good about reading stuff like The Dread Empire series or Lyonesse trilogy and then there are the days when it’s just plain edifying. 

Edited by Sidereal Wraith

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I mean, the way is worded, do the Japanese VA's really objected to having their voices leave Japan?

As far as I know the contracts can get crazy.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The setting is gitting good.

Maybe the game should get good then.

Jokes aside, the turn order change already massively improves the pacing in my eyes. You say it would add downtime but imo, dynamic turn order makes everything take longer than it needs to.

4 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

The one i hear (and usually agree with) is delivering feelings better and not feeling weird

It's kinda superficial imo because if you don't understand the language then it doesn't make a difference too much? Like you'll understand the raw emotion but not the emotion of the words. This isn't even getting into accents either or simply just how a language sounds. 

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

's kinda superficial imo because if you don't understand the language then it doesn't make a difference too much?

Not really. Voices have emotions and stuff that doesn't carry over to other languages well and/or the dub voices being bad.

And it's not just jp stuff, dubs just feel absolutely wrong. Last time i watched and american movie dubbed in german it was an awful experience, despite the movie itself being good.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This isn't even getting into accents either or simply just how a language sounds. 

With experience even if you don't speak the language you pick up on this stuff

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

That said gaming dubs have been getting alot better - and i do play most games i english

Although lately they have been kinda getting worse again lol

Dont ever play Reverie in EN, then. It sounds... Really horrible. Lol

Edited by Lightcosmo

3 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Last time i watched and american movie dubbed in german it was an awful experience, despite the movie itself being good.

Was the movie live-action? Cause i can't stand it live-action. That's my rule. Dubbing is a preference unless the thing in question is live-action, then it's the original voice all the way.

5 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

With experience even if you don't speak the language you pick up on this stuff

Outside of like "the country accent", i can't tell Japanese voice acting apart. Well, i can recognize some voice actors through association (Koyasu doesn't count on account of being Koyasu) but on average, i wouldn't be able to answer. Only time i can truly pick apart accents is English and Spanish, for obvious reasons.

I can't tell what my own accent is though. I get confused for being Puerto Rican cause of my accent but then when i went to Spain, i was recognized as Venezuelan because of my accent so idk.

4 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Not to mention the sound of the language itself tells alot

But that's like the thing though, languages will inherently sound different. I don't think it's a fair metric when doing voice over comparisons because of course on a fundamental level it's gonna sound different. Whether the effort was put in is a different matter altogether.

Just now, Armagon said:

Was the movie live-action?

Yes

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

i can't tell Japanese voice acting apart.

I can.

Alot of people do

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I don't think it's a fair metric when doing voice over comparisons because of course on a fundamental level it's gonna sound different.

And i think it's fair then to prefer a language over the other

Voices can also tell something about a character or personality - most dubs do not and can not adapt that well, or translate it - no matter the language

20 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Sorry that the game gives you tools to solve problems with, instead of enemies simply disintegrating on contact the moment you get a stat lead. Strategy games are just awful.

38 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Bto wtf

How? Why? What?

K A G A

37 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Just keep in mind that you need to start a new game without selecting a system file or by creating a new one.
It's not gonna work if you pick an existing system file.

Not like I'm ever going to use it, but cool.

30 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Maybe your mom should get good.

30 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Jokes aside, the turn order change already massively improves the pacing in my eyes. You say it would add downtime but imo, dynamic turn order makes everything take longer than it needs to.

And I disagree completely, but that's fine. To each their own, as they say.

22 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

That said gaming dubs have been getting alot better - and i do play most games i english

Although lately they have been kinda getting worse again lol

To be honest, when it comes to gaming I feel it's a bit different. In movies and shows, the actors you see onscreen are saying the lines while in the middle of acting out the scene. Usually. Then the dub plasters new lines over them, recorded by different people who are merely watching the scene. This is always going to feel at least a little off.

In games (most of them anyway), there's no actor in the game itself. The voice actors are just reading lines in a booth after being given context on them (and sometimes not at all lol). The original voice over is itself a dub, if that makes sense. So, in theory, there should be no reason why any dub should be fundamentally worse than the original language - The original voice actors are doing the exact same thing as the dub actors in the same circumstances.

4 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Sorry that the game gives you tools to solve problems with, instead of enemies simply disintegrating on contact the moment you get a stat lead. Strategy games are just awful.

ngl Armagon I'm gonna have to side with Bow here, perhaps apply more Endgame Ready Beard to the problem next time.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Episode 54- Nubia’s Frenzy

Spoiler

GRWJD9-2024-02-07-10-11-39.png

Straightforward, but it sounds weird seeing you say this, Bright. It’s too fantastical for Gundam.😆 What next, “This mission’s objective is to prevent a giant rock from-“ …okay maybe it’s not that strange for Captain Noa.

Quattro gives the order and the advance force depart.

GRWJD9-2024-02-07-10-14-21.png

This mission is hot.

• Bright asked for “units with long cruising distances”, to charge ahead for a surprise attack, but where is the Zeta or ZZ?
    • Tryder does have its flight form, yet it still looks odd here. Maybe b/c they’ve been with Akimi from the very start of this long odyssey?
    • Baxinger also looks out of place (Three J’s profile did speak of “Baxinbird” that didn’t show up in GC0, but I forgive it because this sounds like it could very well be the end to the last J9 series in GC.
    • Final Dan… well you can see who we’re fighting here.
  • Fairey begins looking for the energy reaction that whatever star-destroying device Nubia has. It’ll probably be in a ship, and if she can’t find the reaction, the enemy likely hasn’t activated it yet.
  • Gildorome now in his biological mech instead of a battleship, mocks the heroes for coming after him.
    • He then calls Sieg a traitor, shows a personal distrust of Gadisword, says Gadisword is small, and Emperor Muge could crush it at any time if he wanted to.
    • Sieg has no hesitation fighting Muge. Shinobu insults Gildorome and the talk is over and the fighting begins.
    • I do have to kill Gildorome with just my starting forces. He has but 60k HP and no Guts, so it isn’t a problem.
    • Gildorome does indeed die, which is a shame, because I would’ve liked him to try here some of the illusion stuff he canonically did. It would’ve paired well with the subversiveness of Nubia.
  • The White Base/Gandor arrives.
    • Fairey responds to Bright’s update on the mission, and she says that the star-destroying device has neither been activated yet nor found.
    • I then deploy the rest of my forces. Beforehand, Puru says she can’t deploy right now though, someone is calling her.
  • Khamen Khamen then shows up, offers to kill the White Base Corps by his hands with the best of his forces.

GRWJD9-2024-02-07-10-51-16.png

Those don’t all look Nubian.

GRWJD9-2024-02-07-10-54-52.pngGRWJD9-2024-02-07-10-58-10.pngGRWJD9-2024-02-07-10-56-41.pngGRWJD9-2024-02-07-11-00-30.pngGRWJD9-2024-02-07-11-13-21.png

…Issac said it appears that Khamen spread his influence through many different factions while they weren’t looking.

• Khamen doesn’t Guts. -He has a body double instead, and a ship double. That’s better actually, as it gives me an extra 40k funds.
    • Defeating the fake-Khamen triggers a scene where Puru sets Sally, lost in her thoughts, free. Though she doesn’t know where they’re storing her Kreuz Warheit.
    • I defeat Khamen again- another body & ship double.
  • The third Khamen Khamen’s arrival results in a C.U.B.E. resonance with the Super Soul Saber, Fairey explains this Khamen is the real deal, they’ve a C.U.B.E. aboard that ship.
    • Fairey then warns that destroying an operational C.U.B.E. could cause it to run wild, a calamity that Sieg thinks could amount to what befell Gadisword, the entire star system could vanish. They need to infiltrate Khamen’s battleship and deal with the C.U.B.E. device instead.
    • Khamen summons more reinforcements, cutting through them all might take too long and result in Khamen destroying Zarl’s sun. -And then...

GRWJD9-2024-02-07-11-44-47.png

Sally joins at last.

Sieg doesn’t want Sally to fight, she says she doesn’t want to see the tragedy of Gadisword happen again. Others force Sieg to let Sally fight.

GRWJD9-2024-02-07-11-46-22.pngGRWJD9-2024-02-07-11-46-14.png

Compared to Sieg, she’s the weaker of the two, mildly inferior MAP, less Mobility without truly significant gains in Armor and HP (Iron Wall costs precious SP from a single-pilot unit). While I could excuse Sieg’s weak ultimate attack, Sally’s is no stronger and not so excusable given she lacks his strengths.

Still, it can be an alright dodgy Super, so I’ll limit myself to a single Repairbot and add Sally to my final team.

• The objective changes to getting Sally or Akimi adjacent to Khamen’s battleship, I can’t destroy the Khamen’s ship now or else I lose.
    • Completing this simple task, Sally blows an opening in the ship near the C.U.B.E. control room (location provided from Fairey-analyzed data), the lack of oxygen should leave it devoid of soldiers for the immediate moment.

GRWJD9-2024-02-07-12-04-21.png

So that’s a C.U.B.E..

• Akimi and Fairey get in and get out. No physical destruction of anything, would endanger their lives, a TV/movie/literary impossibly-fast hack/software rewrite does the job of ruining the body guys’ plans instead.
  • The job done, I have another very easy task of getting Akimi’s unit back to the allied battleship. Can’t send a wireless transmission of what was done to the device, that might get intercepted by Nubia, physically returning to the White Base/Gandor won’t have that problem.
    • Fairey tells Bright exactly what she did. She rewrote the control program.
    • The star-destroying device will irradiate the star with C.U.B.E. energy, when that happens Fairey changed it to perform a high dimensional jump without using the sun’s energy
    • This will greatly reduce the dimensional jump’s scale and keep the star from exploding. However, fleets too close will still be annihilated by the space warp.
  • Thus, the objective changes again- get to the battleship to the southeast corner in five turns. Easily doable.
    • Khamen does take notice of the retreat, but wrongly thinks the heroes are being cowardly, and so only sends a little wave of reinforcements out near the escape zone.

I complete the latest goal. Khamen thinks he has won.

GRWJD9-2024-02-07-12-21-42.pngGRWJD9-2024-02-07-12-21-45.pngGRWJD9-2024-02-07-12-21-50.pngGRWJD9-2024-02-07-12-21-50.pngGRWJD9-2024-02-07-12-21-53.pngGRWJD9-2024-02-07-12-22-04.png

• Khamen goes out in an explosion.
    • Earlier in this battle, he had said Nubia consisted of the chosen ones. Khamen Khamen would build a new world, free of filth, where Nubia would prosper.
    • Fairey says it is likely (can’t truly say for certain), that Khamen has been transferred to a higher dimension he has ascended the Path of Sephirot.
    • Diego describes Khamen concisely as “A mysterious man to the very end…”.
    • It’s an SRW sendoff that I think works for him. It kept the essence of Khamen Khamen’s canonical end, while changing the outward manifestation of it.
  • Back on the White Base, that’s Nubia crossed off the list. Only the Extradimensional Union remains, but, the heroes can’t go and fight them.
    • However, Fairey says she copied the program from the C.U.B.E. device on Khamen’s ship. She believes the Super Soul Saber can now make an independent dimensional jump where's Vindel?.
    • Sieg provides Fairey with the target destination data she needs on the Muge Empire, and that’s all she was missing.
    • Sally shows a reluctance to consider herself one of the heroes right now.
  • With hardly a pause, the Gandor grabs the White Base as it had during the jump to the Interstellar Alliance. Fairey and Akimi activate the C.U.B.E. Drive, and the Gandor plunges through the extradimensional gate.
  • Enter “Muge’s Universe”. Deathgaia gets the news of  Khamen’s failure General Gildorome’s death, and that the White Base Corps has jumped into Muge Space. Deathgaia is left aghast and apologizes for having allowed the enemies to invader their universe to Emperor Muge.

GRWJD9-2024-02-07-12-23-53.png

I finally get to see Muge Zorbados himself, he doesn’t look old for an evil emperor.

• Zorbados isn’t angry at Deathgaia at all. He calls this entire universe himself (so he is literal a pantheist or panentheist?)  and intends to show the White Base Corps that.
    • Muge tells Deathgaia to have fun to his heart’s content, and Deathgaia asks for “Red Space”, whatever that means. He gets his wish.
  • Muge orders all forces deploy. The Emperor says he’ll face the heroes himself.
    • He then waxes nostalgic of the days when fighting is all he and Deathgaia did together, and Deathgaia unworthy of such praise.
  • Regianne, meanwhile reports the WBC’s C.U.B.E. jump to Herluga, she regrets failing to kill Fairey before. Herluga tells her to send a performance test batch of new Gadisword troops under the pretense of reinforcements to Muge. She agrees, claiming the new mechs will increase Gadisword’s power by magnitudes.

Khamen Khamen’s …disappearance… that means that, as expected, Muge is the last license standing -barring a last-minute return of Belzeb.

And it’ll almost certainly be the next battle which is Muge’s last, as it’s titled “Requiem for Victims”.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The original voice over is itself a dub, if that makes sense. So, in theory, there should be no reason why any dub should be fundamentally worse than the original language - The original voice actors are doing the exact same thing as the dub actors in the same circumstances

Not always. Like technically yes, but the OG VA experience, interaction and direction are also part of it...

And dubs tend to fumble at that - and it makes sense when you hear stories on how some dub VA have to read lines alone, or without context, or or or.