• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

48 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

There's also the fact Trump is also showing signs of cognitive decline and isn't that far behind Biden in age. But of course, the media will only zero-in on Biden's.

And then there's Biden being pretty good physically for an 80 year old. And there's correlation between physical health and mental health. Honestly despite Biden being the older one, Trump is more likely to get a visit from Mr. Blood Clot.

38 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Can only hope you're correct.

Also also: Trump lost the popular vote twice in a row. Actually unprecedented.

Jugdral broskis, your daily copium

https://old.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/1aoc7bd/alleged_noe_localizers_been_posting_on_famiboards/

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

This country needs mandatory voting laws tbh.

no

You need a good political system and not this 2 party bs

Twitter leftists

You mean the neocons with a progressive coat of paint or the horse fuckers?

Twitter leftists is quite ambiguous

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

And then there's Biden being pretty good physically for an 80 year old. And there's correlation between physical health and mental health. Honestly despite Biden being the older one, Trump is more likely to get a visit from Mr. Blood Clot.

Ideally, that's how it'd work. However...

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

no

So long political parties exist, they will coalescence into two-party showdowns at the end of the day.

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

So long political parties exist, they will coalescence into two-party showdowns at the end of the day.

even if two parties will fight for the center, a party variety and representing more opinions on the spectrum and compromises between the parties is much more healthy then "1 or 2"

8 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

no

And also mandatory voting.

8 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

You mean the neocons with a progressive coat of paint or the horse fuckers?

The what?

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

That or they have to doing a second internal vote that goes nowhere and then also get the king's approval. 

Just now, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

even if two parties will fight for the center, a party variety and representing more opinions on the spectrum and compromises between the parties is much more healthy then "1 or 2"

Japan reading this (the Liberal Party has been in uncontested control for decades).

I'd like to point out how this happened pretty much over here.

The moment Morena won the presidency and over 20 governorships, just about every other big party (PRI, PAN, PRD) ran as an alliance... which only put to light how their previous "competition" between each other had been a sham anyway. Well, not that we didn't knew anyway...

And in a case of history almost being made, Teddy Roosevelt could've ran against the sitting President in the same party and actually have won. He was that popular. Alas, he chose to go Bull Moose and that's what cost him. So we ended up with Wilson instead.

I believe the GOP party bosses were also against letting TR in again. Too wild, too progressive, Taft was the tame stuff the bigwigs liked. After all, somebody supposedly did warn the party bosses that when TR was chosen as McKinley's second-term VP in 1900, that "only a heartbeat" separated Theodore Roosevelt from the presidency. An lo', by sheer unfortunate (for McKinley) unrelated chance, assassination.

Keep in mind, this was decades before presidential primaries were a thing. Prior to the... late 1960s, 70s? the parties' candidates for the presidency weren't determined by the popular vote. The party bosses chose in infamous "smoke-filled rooms" their party's nominees.

It has been argued that selection in such a way -while you might argue made for more conservative candidates and reeked of elitism- resulted in more moderate nominees suitable for the general election. The conversion to a primary system was done with the intent of letting the people decide, more democracy isn't a bad thing, no? But some critics point out that turnout in primaries is low, and that those who care about/vote in those, tend to be further away from the center of American politics. The result is candidates who are further out of line with what the average American actually wants. -Or so I've heard.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Japan reading this (the Liberal Party has been in uncontested control for decades).

A thing I need to reread up on again, since I forget why. Unbroken conservative rule for like ever yet being a modern democracy is peculiar.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

A thing I need to reread up on again, since I forget why. Unbroken conservative rule for like ever yet being a modern democracy is peculiar.

*Mexico's pre-2000 (or pre-2018 depending on who you ask) PRI has entered the chat.*

Party Dictatorships are... a thing, yeah.

12 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'd like to point out how this happened pretty much over here.

The moment Morena won the presidency and over 20 governorships, just about every other big party (PRI, PAN, PRD) ran as an alliance... which only put to light how their previous "competition" between each other had been a sham anyway. Well, not that we didn't knew anyway...

Feels more like a presidential system problem?

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Feels more like a presidential system problem?

No. It's once again the "coalescence into two" problem.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

No. It's once again the "coalescence into two" problem.

A robust system will protect against that - yeah there will be big parties, but they can't just ignore small parties and have to compromise with them to go over 50%

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

*Mexico's pre-2000 (or pre-2018 depending on who you ask) PRI has entered the chat.*

Party Dictatorships are... a thing, yeah.

I get that. And that the US wouldn't have wanted a pink party predominant their former foe reconstituted after occupation as an East Asian ally. I also get the cultural collectiveness of Japan and whatnot. And I'm aware of some of kind of technocratic/university bias in the Japanese political system where a weak leadership is secondary to the institutions behind it.

Yet, I still feel like I need to reread up on Japan's particular situation.

17 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

believe the GOP party bosses were also against letting TR in again. Too wild, too progressive, Taft was the tame stuff the bigwigs liked.

I did see a video on what a third Teddy Roosevelt term could look like

(The election that ruined everything is referring to Wilson winning).

4 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

A robust system will protect against that - yeah there will be big parties, but they can't just ignore small parties and have to compromise with them to go over 50%

And then they fail to go over 50% and the government shuts down because they can't decide who's in charge.

@Saint Rubenio does Spain still have a government?

Edited by Armagon

Just now, Armagon said:

And then they fail to go over 50% and the government shuts down because they can't decide who's in charge.

No, they will have to work with other parties

We have 3 Parties in our current gov. even if it super sucks

26 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

no

One thing at a time. Mandatory voting laws is the setup to a break up the two party monopoly.

I would be remiss not to mention that the US has plenty of third parties as well as state local parties that you are definitely allowed to vote for and they theoretically could become a major party, it's just that nobody does because why would you.

Yeah I think the ranked run is over now.

TearRing_Saga_Series__Berwick_Saga_-_Lazberia_Chronicle_Chapter_174_SLPS-25497_20240211191918.png?ex=65db84b4&is=65c90fb4&hm=0a8d254032b6e4db037c6ccd171aa2bed222b6e6fda1f911e0cf57de8ff3841f&

Seven promotions in one map. Plus Dean's joining event. It is legit over, the only unit that remains to promote (aside from Christine who's just unable to promote until chapter 10) is Elbert. Then I just need to recruit Owen and Missival in chapter 12-1, as well as Thaddy who just needs a couple more chapters worth of money thrown at him. Three pieces of furniture remain, two bounties and Erzie items, and I should've gathered every material available up until now for the atelier.

...Now I just need to keep getting the tactics points. Keeping Vester's knights alive... Usually I like having them serve as distractions for the ballista and other threats. Might not be able to afford it now. Thank goodness the promoting is mostly over, means I can just bring in the big guns...

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Better than Trump, at least.

No arguments there.

The fear-mongering is certainly part of the rightwing strategy.

Republicans under-performed / Democrats over-performed in both 2022 and 2023. If you see the rightwing fearmongering ramp up, it's because they know they can't win otherwise. They themselved have admitted that if people vote, they can't win. That's why you also had that whole war against Tailor Swift thing. She told people to vote back in 2020, and there was a record surge of voter registrations. Which to the Republicans that's a no-no. Among other things. 

True enough. No matter how bleak things may seem, voting is very easy and very harmless.

55 minutes ago, Armagon said:

To be honest, I really don't expect either of them to croak that easily. They're rich, influential people in a country with extremely good healthcare (for the rich). They'll be kept alive.

55 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Also also: Trump lost the popular vote twice in a row. Actually unprecedented.

Eyyyy, impressive! My man D. John Trump out there breaking all the records!

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

@Saint Rubenio does Spain still have a government?

They're making a lot of noise about Puigdemont's amnesty, but they're making it work so far. The independentists know that they won't be able to work with a government that has Vox in it, so it's in their best interests to avoid a re-election that could potentially go their way.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

How fitting this could be the very last thing to do in Hikkikomori...

Phew, that was... a challenge alright. But I persevered!

And it's done. Done with Omori. It was a fun.

Okay, gonna do the DLC stages in SRW V that opened up.

The first takes place during the route split, and like the one in T, it's about Hoi Kow Lou's ramen business after he got kicked out of the DG Alliance. Though unlike T, this is when he's still down in the dumps... and still considered a loose end the alliance must deal with.

Hm? I see Black Mightgaine is among the units deployed. I'm guessing it's because I unlocked him and he won't show up otherwise. Nice to see the DLC stages to take that into account.

Canton Style Cooking Martial Arts? Is this SRW or Ranma 1/2? XD

I feel this was a missed opportunity to have Hoi playable for this one stage. Ah well...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Germany has been ruled by coalition governments since 1949.

e: Conservatives had a majority in 1957, but still formed a coalition with the other conservatives

Edited by ping

Well it’s Super Bowl Sunday, which means that it’s time to spend time with the family, eat snacks, watch a sport I couldn’t care less about, but most importantly drink irresponsibly! 

So, the other DLC stage is in the other route. The Getter Team take up the EVA pilots under their wing to teach them teamwork...

Oh dear...

Yeah, something like that.

How fitting this could be the very last thing to do in Hikkikomori...

Phew, that was... a challenge alright. But I persevered!

And it's done. Done with Omori. It was a fun.

Congratulations. One of these days I oughta do that route myself. Sounds positively fascinating.

32 minutes ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

Well it’s Super Bowl Sunday, which means that it’s time to spend time with the family, eat snacks, watch a sport I couldn’t care less about, but most importantly drink irresponsibly! 

Wraith that's just regular you.