Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

(timer doesn't go down in menus)

The heck? There is a timer in a demo? Was this inspired by the "Masterpieces" in Smash Bros Brawl or something? 30 seconds of NES Donkey Kong, hell yeah!

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I believe many game demos have done it like that for a while now.

Five hours tho? You get lucky if you get more than 30 minutes iirc.

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yes. If I recall, DQXI demo let you play for three.

Nah DQ11 gave you 10 hours and i don't think that one had a time-limit either like UO's demo did. They even like advertised this iirc when DQ11S was coming out. 

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Nah DQ11 gave you 10 hours and i don't think that one had a time-limit either like UO's demo did. They even like advertised this iirc when DQ11S was coming out. 

Ah, must've mixed with another game's.

46 minutes ago, Armagon said:

@Saint Rubenio I know you said you weren't exactly interested but tbh, I'd say at least try out Unicorn Overlord's demo. Once the tutorial sets you free, you get 5 hours of playtime (timer doesn't go down in menus) for free. Free five hours of game time, you lose nothing by doing this.

If I may spice up the deal a bit, if you really wanted to, you could def roll around with an army consisting mostly of customizable generics. You don't necessarily have to use anime pretty boys and girls.

I watched someone else play it for a bit. The demo is unbelievably generous. Wonder why that is.

Anyway, I liked what I saw. The story and the characters look like nothing to me, at least for now, and instant Kaga is pretty disappointing, but the gameplay does a couple interesting things. And generics are always fun, of course.

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

and instant Kaga is pretty disappointing

I played the demo for a bit and this was a lmao moment. Like Goddamn, not even Kaga went for it that quickly are we sure he's not involved.

Credit where credit is due tbf, i think mechanically it does a good job of giving you an immediate goal to work for and letting you slowly build up an army to get her back, especially since it seems much of the game you get to do in any order. Like they said, you technically can walk up to the final boss right away. Whether you survive is another matter entirely.

If they start doing it again though, hmmmmmmmmmmm...........

ghows-FD-692dfe7f-4920-7a58-e053-0100007fbb83-700b1819.jpegcfcYqiWGJxt-SsRnAj8dQtraf1LX3I_iHBqsnlEbU76RDLWaCK9D830XQDMBrnPnBrpP5Ct1DmH_38BeJ-U=s600

Fairy shrimp (scientific Order- Anostraca).🦐

They live primarily in vernal pools- bodies of water that form from winter's snowmelt and spring rains. Unlike other creatures that lay their eggs in vernal pools, safe from consumption by fish, the fairy shrimp live their entire lives in the vernal pools. When the summer comes and the vernal pools gradually shrink until they cease to exist, the fairies die off. -But not before laying their hard-shelled eggs beneath layers of leaves and other spongy, protective debris. When the snow melts and the rains come once more and the vernal pool reforms, the eggs shall hatch and the cycle of life so short, so specialized, shall continue. Although not all eggs hatch the year after they've been laid, they can endure and not hatch for 10-20 years, possibly even a century biologists speculate.

-Reading, getting in the daily exercise nice & early maybe I'll do a round 2 for once, going through the entire desert world in Wonder, overall I feel contented about today.😄

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Vxw9hyC.jpeg

...she does make a pretty convincing argument ngl

Dante in his Inferno placed one pope in what's been called a "reverse baptism" punishment. Them hanging upside-down, head being shoved in a stone tube, with their feet on fire (infernal fire being the opposite of holy water).

Sounds too mild to me, even if the punishment was only for those who committed the crime of simony. Although I suppose being denied salvation for all eternity is already punishment enough that making life in Hell, hell, need only be taken so far. -And there is a major disconnect between Dante's times and our own so many centuries later.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

3ZCATSj.jpeg

Tis time

1dfySv8.jpeg

WARP STAFF

lftsUKh.jpeg

It's a Rebellion, after all

RDeXU40.jpeg

Emblem Miccy confirmed

BuDgC2f.jpeg
8kTlcdS.jpeg
nzx6dK2.jpeg

Mechas > Magical Golems confirmed?

pHQI8sE.jpeg

I am coming for your head

Lv6F04g.jpeg

Ayy joining the Party right at finale

p0tx11C.jpeg
Ga8Fain.jpeg

We're here

6Qw29gT.jpeg
vWgovy7.jpeg

Fighting through his Elite guard

va04tX3.jpeg

Every Game ever

JCHKlR9.jpeg
svVtdkn.jpeg
4MDr0V9.jpeg
xIbFcTW.jpeg

A bitch until the very end

DSrtQjK.jpeg
ogIEUJc.jpeg

So we get our last Party member right before the final boss?...

YLAWnya.jpeg

Old man with the protag speech!

Anyway, i hope there's more to go because this has been a pretty short "dungeon"

xO14Env.jpeg
oqK0A8c.jpeg

The Man, the Myth, the Legend

A4IevfD.jpeg

You don't say?

L1qnZT5.jpeg

The Final(?) Battle is a go!

BaBYdvM.jpeg

Ya know, from Berry all alone in the very beginning to 8 Party Members (+bird)- This has been a Journey for sure!

Let's kick some Pope ass!

Try #3 while writing this

Actually i am like 50% sure this isn't really the final boss - there're quite a few plot points still open....or are they gonna pull a Trails and sequel bait me lol

....All 4 games are connected after all from i read - Problem: The other 3 don't have a PC remake yet.

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

Alright, finally unlocked One-Shot Mode.
One life. No Continues.

...actually you totally get Continues. You are supposed to keep any powerups. So by all appearance if you die you basically only need to relit the beacons and stock up on lamp oil and bombs.

Time to become the true hero of Feramor.

Probably gonna stay away from the vulcano, though. Too many chances for an instant kill. This will make the graveyard inaccessible too. But I don't think either of the areas contains anything that is strictly needed to complete the game. Even if it sucks missing out on the Power Glove.

17 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Lv6F04g.jpeg

Ayy joining the Party right at finale

Look at me being wrong.

Cool.

You know I don't even know what this game is

2 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Alright, finally unlocked One-Shot Mode.
One life. No Continues.

...actually you totally get Continues. You are supposed to keep any powerups. So by all appearance if you die you basically only need to relit the beacons and stock up on lamp oil and bombs.

Time to become the true hero of Feramor.

Probably gonna stay away from the vulcano, though. Too many chances for an instant kill. This will make the graveyard inaccessible too. But I don't think either of the areas contains anything that is strictly needed to complete the game. Even if it sucks missing out on the Power Glove.

How many times have you beaten the game already?

Also there better be an unlockable king mode, like in the CDi remasters.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

How many times have you beaten the game already?

I think I did two runs in Normal Mode, and of course one run in Hero Mode and one run in Classic Mode. So that would be 4 times.

The game can be done quite quickly if you know where to go. Especially if you know how to grab the sword beam right at the start, which saves a lot of time. My Classic Mode run just now was 1 hour and 25 minutes.

What annoys me is having to effectively do the first stage a 2nd time in order to get the lamp. Needless to say, the lamp is needed just about everywhere.

23 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

or are they gonna pull a Trails and sequel bait me lol

....All 4 games are connected after all from i read - Problem: The other 3 don't have a PC remake yet.

Shall I sacrifice some sacred geese so that you may receiveth the yet-reborn?🦆🔪

Because being baited and waaaaaaaaiting on sequels that take forever to come or might never come, can turn life-giving water into sand as it floods thy mouth.

2 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Also that name hmmm

Factoid I forgot to mention before- the Vatican gets its name from Vatican Hill, on which it is situated. Vatican Hill didn't become the center of the Catholic Church's governance until the 1300s, a little late, but just in time for time for the Renaissance and all that era of glorious Papal patronage of the arts and ecclesiastical corruption. ...Although the Pope actually still lives to this day on the Caelian Hill (where the Lateran Palace is located), not the Vatican.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Speaking of doing things quickly, seems there are speedruns already. I have to imagine that comes down to just not getting the lamb and running around in the dark.

And they do pick up the amulet. I suppose one of the later areas also has the life drain effect, not just the cemetery. So I guess the vulcano really is mandatory. Oh well.

I also have to try and learn how to do that damage boosting glitch.

Edited by BrightBow

k5jB8cK.jpeg

is it?

QK10MuN.jpeg
RWNRD9B.jpeg

Wouldn't be a JRPG otherwise

ALtrfof.jpeg

🤔

2Dtkg0j.jpeg

But you are the one who started it?

h9bT8n9.jpeg

🤔

X75QtzQ.jpeg
H5oIgmG.jpeg

Lessgo?

Something is fishy

29 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Shall I sacrifice some sacred geese so that you may receiveth the yet-reborn?🦆🔪

Because being baited and waaaaaaaaiting on sequels that take forever to come or might never come, can turn life-giving water into sand as it floods thy mouth

hah

From my little research - the 2nd game tells the same story as the first game, but from the PoV of the other Witch - the last party member that joined us - basically their stories converge at Finale?

3rd and 4th game advance the story - and 4th game takes place in another continent mentioned in the first game and even on of the NPCs i helped appears there

36 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You know I don't even know what this game is

WitchSpring R

4LCAXl0.jpeg

Well GG, wrap it up

35koiGF.jpeg

How many Jebaits does Endgame have? Xd

QF8XoVD.jpeg

Fire Emblem 19 confirmed

GwNNw0J.jpeg
kM2s7JX.jpeg
oj8IgCY.jpeg

How romantic, but ya know...

EkPt3J7.jpeg

Yeah tell them, there's a FE dragon rampaging outside xD

HHjKFVH.jpeg

Dragon dogfight O:

zdcyFV8.jpeg

The gang, assembles

NI4kE4U.jpeg
C8Ide0s.jpeg

🤔

bVMQwfa.jpeg
JHWtKFQ.jpeg

So the gang failed to purify Dark Magic, so he took it upon his own hand to do it, no matter the sacrifice?

3gMwBBu.jpeg

Look at how much pain you brought to the world bro

bjqdqpO.jpeg
3uFYF4r.jpeg

We getting too many lore bombs for finale

1WKYoRL.jpeg

what ideal?

ujLhOEb.jpeg

Yeah tell him

5V4bWEa.jpeg
yNeVPk5.jpeg
avsjVVL.jpeg
Y1GGllA.jpeg
KOzR4IR.jpeg

Wait...so you orchestrated all of this so human can purge dark magic by themselves?

gBOsZ7A.jpeg

So you want Lucia to lead the new era? :thinking:

2BkQRKw.jpeg

Yeah i feel you, Non-so-FE-ish not-evil dragon

xKMfBLN.jpeg
e6HyNwj.jpeg

Hmmm

BK3xnQQ.jpeg

It do be like that - although usually starts with a cat and not strawberry pie xD

mlrVAvy.jpeg

like the Witch hunts never happened eh?

dlKjGp6.jpeg

...ya know, i would've liked to see that in a flashback

6rt1yQ9.jpeg

Damn it, birb

tCtTfac.jpeg

Hmm?

l9koNyw.jpeg

Indeed lmao

G3etgRJ.jpeg

Capitalism, ho!

wZHVPAm.jpeg

Oh damn, the platoon she's in will become the strongest in the continent - she has warp and rescue staff access - insta GG

vmM8YRr.jpeg

WitchSpring 4

qOauYE3.jpeg_
But i already defeated that guy

5ua9fAp.jpeg

The now dark magic is everywhere - and the consequences are still to be felt - defo sequel material

h8jCNDc.jpeg
lLZWj0H.jpeg

Stop being so cryptic

hXDGb1e.jpeg

By that you mean Lucia/Pieberry?

Elysion is Lucia's mother after all, and you said you wanted her to be a milestone in the new era....

D7oWxk8.jpeg

You could've stayed dead

X6mjuLN.jpeg

Date on the bridge eh?

RA1OIZZ.jpeg
jaha5is.jpeg

That's WitchSpring 3

yPgZc2R.jpeg

-Fin-

LozivIp.jpeg

Well, that was fun - and mostly an amazing journey

Even if i think the game fumbled the finale a bit - "dungeon" too short (basically 3 hallways with a boss fight each, that's it) - and too much lore drop at the end - could've spaced that quite a bit better

Full thoughts later

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J282.png

Buddy you should see my action economy

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J283.pngFire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J284.png

I'm only just now realizing I forgot to repair the broken sword which I probably need to beat this boss. brb.

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J286.png

Nevermind, Bridget got it. You can come back Sigurd.

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J288.png

Oh man I wonder who's fault that is.

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J291.pngFire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J292.png

The selfishness of a father who'd rather die in battle than take care of his kid.

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J294.png

No! I haven't been able to see your promoted animations yet!

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J298.png

"Now my first move to do this will be robbing my newly wedded wife of all her agency and claim to the only position of power she would've ever had. Make sure her memory stays wiped just so it'll be easier to convince her."

22 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

The selfishness of a father who'd rather die in battle than take care of his kid.

Or, you know, don't bring him to a battlefield. Speaking of...!

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J294.png

No! I haven't been able to see your promoted animations yet!

Oh, you'll see them... you'll see them alright...

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J298.png

"Now my first move to do this will be robbing my newly wedded wife of all her agency and claim to the only position of power she would've ever had. Make sure her memory stays wiped just so it'll be easier to convince her."

It's worth pointing out... he doesn't actually know about the memory wipe being more than just trope-standard amnesia. Not yet, anyway.

GG_J20NbEAAwyTT?format=jpg&name=large

Thank you for the appetizer Vanillaware. I await the full course meal.

Some thoughts:

• I have never played Ogre Battle so i wasn't sure what to expect. The battles are quick and snappy. I only played on Easy just so i could get the most out of the demo. Come full game i'll bump it up. That's when i'll imagine Tactics start mattering much more. It's.....it's a doozy looking at all those conditions lmao.
  • Each class seems to be far more unique than Fire Emblem classes. This makes sense because Unit Leaders are who give the effects. Archers will deal bonus damage against fliers but they'll deal even more if they are the leader. Get the Fire Emblem memory out of your head. For example, swordmasters have crits but (at least the one i got) have shit defenses and they aren't the avo tanks you might know them as. That goes to thieves.
  • You do have some nice freedom in what to do-ish. For the first main mission, you can't leave the region until you complete it. But within that region, you can do whatever you want.
  • It does not seem like battles will scale. So preferably you want to take a look around each region to see what battles you can do before you overlevel yourself.
  • Story and characters is pretty standard. Flowy language, voicework is good. There's an element of the plot that i'm not too fond of but at least in the demo it didn't show up too often. Basically, some of the bad guys are mind controlled but it looks like these bad guys are the ones you can recruit. The ones you can't recruit they aren't mind controlled. There was one minor baddie who i thought was kinda interesting, he was hoarding all the food and originally he wanted it to protect his lands from famine but the power went to his head and he just became a glutton. Additionally, not every recruitable enemy is an actual bad guy or the like. Some are just doing what they gotta do but so far no Camuses.
    • But the story as a whole seems like a fairly standard hero's journey type deal. Probably comparable to Odin Sphere i'd say.
  • Visuals good. Vanillaware.
  • Music good. Vanillaware.
  • One thing i can kinda see being controversial is that the outcome of battles are semi-predetermined. As in, you direct a unit to an enemy and you can see how it'll play out but as long as you haven't actually gotten close to initiate, there's still things you can do to alter the outcome.
    • But once unit and enemy come face to face, what you see is what you get. If another unit is closeby, you can have the enemy fight them instead. Maybe it'll be a better outcome, maybe it won't. But do not treat it like Fire Emblem, your units here will either fight or they won't.
  • This game has a fatigue system. Unlike Thracia though, it doesn't suck. Fatigue determines how many times they can fight but if they win, Fatigue is consumed less. Total Fatigue means the unit has to rest up (garrisons speed up the process). I think it also may depend on how much HP they lose (battles are determined by who loses the most HP, if neither side defeated the other).

GG_KLZha0AAs6LE?format=jpg&name=large

this girl is down bad horrendously (I know Ruben would just execute her instead). But would you, Ruben? You'd make her old man of an uncle sad. Do you want to make the old man with a beard and moustache sad? He joins you too but only if you spare the girl. What will it be, Ruben?

But yeah, that seems to be the rule in this game. If you are offered a choice with a new character, you can either recruit them and the parties involved, or you don't. Seems some characters will join you later if you spare them.

4 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Problem: The other 3 don't have a PC remake yet.

I was gonna make a comment but then i looked it up and the other games are on the Play/App Stores. So that's why. Oof.