Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

3 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

just a reminder

RkfTv4h.png

even if most of the world sees it unfavorably (and rightfully so), you guys over the pond are one of the few ones that make it super weird, especially legally.

Just over the pond? That shows it's legal in the majority of the world!

• Replies 177.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

26 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Honestly as far as I can tell, there's no real incentive to actually kill off any potential recruits either. Yeah you can hire generics to replace them but so far at least no one's a Shura.

That said, if you want a super 100% complete log, as long as you saw the event, it'll register. So if you want to fill out the event log with both outcomes, make a save before finishing the stage and then just watch both.

That's... weird. Reminds me a bit of FE ROMhack, Drums of War, one of the more notorious ones in recent times. In that one, every minor boss in the game is recruitable, or you can turn them over for ransom money. The game's stingy with money otherwise, so you want to strike a balance between grabbing whatever characters you think you'll get use out of and ransoming others. As I've heard it, anyway.

...But in this case, if you get absolutely nothing from executing, that just makes the choice completely pointless lol. Here's hoping there's some kind of effect later on.

27 minutes ago, Armagon said:

As Shrimpy said, there's a game that's 75% off on the eShop. But Vanillaware games have different publishers. UO is published by Atlus, notoriously known for making Nintendo sales look commonplace.

Yikes.

27 minutes ago, Armagon said:

But hey, five hours of a demo. Free five hours. You could play that and then decide if you want to spend the Euros.

Fine, but it'll have to wait. When I said earlier "I gotta finish the yearly Berwicking and then my mind's set on a little project", I mean the little project's already nested itself on my noggin like a brainworm and I'm already up to chapter 3 and oh God I haven't played Berwick in two days. I'm probably just going to be doing this for a bit.

30 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It's funny because I think the only time a 3rd version was the true definitive was Platinum. Crystal added the first female MC, Emerald had the Battle Frontier but other than that, it was merely another version (also Emerald made Wallace the Champion, which many saw as a downgrade).

It was Platinum that actually made some real noticable differences in how the story plays out and whatnot, a cleaner aesthetic too. And then they never did it again.

Crystal also had the Eusine and Siucune subplot, which HG/SS kept.

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I meant they are the ones who usually make a stink over it lol

Ah, right. lol

42 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Or, you know, since historically cousin marriage didn't had as much stigma as sibling marriage until recent times. Not just in Japan.

Corrin/Azura moment.

26 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

RkfTv4h.png

even if most of the world sees it unfavorably (and rightfully so), you guys over the pond are one of the few ones that make it super weird, especially legally.

Wait

>Most of the world sees it unfavorably

>Legal in most of the world

What's going on? I'm not surprised it's a clusterfuck in the States (though it's interesting it doesn't seem to follow party lines).

24 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Here's hoping there's some kind of effect later on.

There are two "recruitments" in the demo where you don't get them right away. Both are bandits. The first one turned to banditry because his sister is very ill and the only medicine that could help her is worth a fortune. After beating him, you have the option to let him go or hand him over to the town guard. His buddy corroborates the story but you're also given the option to either spare or kill him.

I would imagine killing at least the first guy might spell doom for his sister.......you know, assuming he was telling the truth lol. We'll see. But that's at least two characters where even if you spare them, they won't recruit you right away.

It could just depend on the exact circumstances.

22 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I meant they are the ones who usually make a stink over it lol

Tbh i've not seen too much discussion on the politics of cousin marriage. It's moreso on the child marriage that Southern States keep refusing to outlaw because it's "tradition".

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Wait

What's going on? I'm not surprised it's a clusterfuck in the States (though it's interesting it doesn't seem to follow party lines).

I'd assume that just because the law says it's fine, doesn't mean the people themselves will do it en masse. This must be one of those cases.

Conversely, there can also be not much pressure to change the law. Likely for being other more pressing concerns and that, again, it's only a recent rising stigma, so not yet the feel to change it. Just by not doing it is considered enough so far.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Wait

Because, despite people looking down it and that number increasing, lotsa people still practice it, it's not really as dangerous as Sibling incest (as long as you don't keep doing it over multiple generations in the same family), and cousins not being as close as siblings or growing up together, there's no real moral reason to ban it.

Also historical & religious reasons worldwide. Stigma against cousin marriage is "relatively" modern.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Tbh i've not seen too much discussion on the politics of cousin marriage.

maybe not in the US, but when americans see it outside, wether in media or otherwise, they tend to go apeshit over it, not knowing that it is not illegal in most of the world.

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

only if it doesn't completely break the balance or make the game bad.

Gameplay should always, always, always take precedence over everything else, combined

Well, I understand the line of thinking "if the MC sucks, this game could end up being a pain" in certain scenarios at least.

Well, this could end up two ways:

1: the MC is very fun to use, at the cost of being over-centralising though. 

2: the MC is too good and the game is balanced around you utelising them to the fullest, killing the enjoyment for many.

WitchSpring R

A game that cought my interest a while ago - and last weekend, when hard mode was released last week i bit the bullet and bought it.It was an amazing experience - mostly, as it did fumble a bit at the end - but i finished it in less than week - and i work full time - that should say enough!

Let's get into the meat of....errmm, into the Strawberries of the Pie!

Pieberry, a young witch living all alone in a forest and hunted by warriors during the ongoing witch hunt...loves Pies very much, and so she decides to leave the forest to get the pie of her dreams

Gameplay

Combat

Played early on on hard - most of the game on very hard.

It was an addicting, satisfying and fun experience - the game has a very fun gameplay loop.

System wise, the only character you have "full" control over is Pieberry - however before you go "eh?" on a turn based game with only fully controllable character, the game offers alot of systems that synergize pretty good with each other.

Smooth & Snappy battles

The battles are fast and smooth - there're no random encounters and the victory fanfare is very fast on the field - infact, the all battles take place in the field during exploration - so there's no screen transition (unless you escape).

Also if enemies of the same type have consecutive turns, they attack at the same time - this a great future that more RPGs need to have - makes the battles, especially the ones with many enemies, so much faster.

Black Joe

Pieberry's faithful companion and familiar - he can use items to help Pieberry (without it costing Pieberry a turn) - using combat items (like bombs, buff/debuffs, etc., most of which you can craft) can make him use an item again next turn - however if you use a recovery item, he will get 1 extra turn cooldown - so spamming heals is a no no. Especially since keeping up with the buffs/debuffs using combat tools (atleast on very hard) is essential.

Pets

The game has various monsters you can mind control and summon to fight by your side - they have 2 attacks, 1 they use every turn - the other (usually stronger attack or with some effect) on turn cool down basis. The one thing you can control here is what enemy they should target - so you have to plan how to make best use of them. As you go further into the game and your combat level increases, you can summon more monsters (+the party members you get at various points in the game, they function on the same principle except they have no summon cost - and no mind control ofc XD)

The pets are also quite varied, and while some are clearly superior, even early ones has quite a few uses later - for example, the 2nd Pet you can get gives Pieberry MP steal - that helps alot in keeping up your magical prowess - other focus on (status) effects, or Aoe, more money after defeat, etc.

And they don't just help in battle, but they also have use outside battle, Usually for movement related stuff - for example, early on you can get a turtle that is slow on the ground but will allow you to go through the sea - not needed to finish the game - but for side quests and secrets. Halfway through you get a fast af mount. etc.

Not to mention collecting the Pets itself is fun - especially since for most of the game they act as your Party members (more on that later in the story section) - kinda like a mini monster collector.

Physical & Magical - Perfect synergy

Like any JRPG, you have the choice between Physical & Magical...so why not just go with the highest damage you might ask? It's because of they both synegize with each other

Let me explain

When you use a magical attack - your next phyiscal attack get something called Magic Trace - which buffs them propotional to the damage dealth with magic. Now, add to that that you have a passive ability that gives you an extra turn upon killing an enemy with a physical attacks (which has a cooldown once it triggers so you can't just spam it) and the fact that you can switch weapons in battle, and you get something that just clicks. You have a turn manipulation tool in your hand that needs to be used in conjunctive with the buffs, debuffs and pets.

Not to mention if you use a multi hit physical attack Pieberry auto switches target to the next one if she defeats on before the multi hit is over. You got her zigzaging through the enemies when combined with Magic Trace 😄

You also have an auto crit every 4 turns.

Debuffs & Bosses

This is something i also super loved

Bosses aren't just immune to debuffs/status like most JRPGs or are chance based (although some do resist some status ofc), but they have a certain resistance that needs bypassed by the number of attacks/items applying a certain debuff. 

Everytime you apply a debuff, the boss' debuff resistance increases by 1 - ie, you will need 1 extra debuff action than the last attempt to debuff him with the same status again (so first stun will need 2 stun attacks for example, to stun him again i will need 3 stun attacks, etc.) - the same applies to all debuffs/status.

Makes planning debuffs really important - and i really really dig the removal of the RNG aspect of debuffs or just going the lazy way of making bosses immune to status effects.

Blessings

To top of all of that, as you go through the game, you get "Blessings", these are a 1 time use per battle "Ultimate abilities" basically, and they are very important, especially later on - knowing when and how to use them is key - and they are all do vary quite a bit from each other - you get 5 in total, and only 2 are kinda similar.

All of that combined ensures fun, challenging & snappy battles - but that wouldn't completely work without the satisfying gameplay loop.

You see, the game has aloooooooot of extra bosses which are pretty strong - so you challenge one - you get loot - which you use to craft better equipment - which then makes you hunt stronger bosses - rinse & repeat. It's a very satisfying and addicting gameplay loop and i couldn't keep my hands off the controller - so i hunted em all.

Speaking about...

Crafting

The game has a crafting system - it is not as in depth as something as Atelier - but it does have a small fun one that also ties into the gameplay loop.

For Crafting, Events & Training are your main ways of getting stronger, since your maximum level through combat is 5. And even getting stronger spells or customizing them is through crafting - and the best healing items as well.

You also evolve/upgrade your weapons there - and for your staff there're multiple path and upgrades to choose from, right from the very beginning, but even later on

It all ties very well together with the other systems.

Exploration

Ofc crafting and battles wouldn't work without exploration, and the various areas you explore and collection points of items. Fun thing is, once you activate a collection point once you just need to move over it to auto collect them. Pets allow you to explore fastes & normally unreachable areas, and sometimes you can hunt small little enemies on the field for collection as well (especially early on).

There're also quite a few secrets here and there - very easily missable - and alot of extra/secret areas where you fight the extra bosses.

I do with the dungeons were you get the blessings were longer and that there were more puzzles tho - the games does have some here and there - usually in the dungeons where you get the blessings - but i do wish there were a bit more meat to the dungeons.

Story and Characters

Pieberry, all alone in her forest, has to defend herself from Warriors, as a Witch Hunt is ongoing. She is a lonely Witch that loves Pies...and once she eats a Pie she looted from a warrior she defeated...she decides to leave for the human world to get the Pie of her dreams. And that's how our story starts.

Pieberry is a great protag - and despite her Pie brain at the start, which has a valid reason - she goes through great development.

Right from the beginning, when she first contacts humans that don't wanna kill/capture her - she starts to learn about how humans live. For example, when she first meets a merchant, he offers her money for some of her loot, and she goes "Money? Gimme Pies!" - Girl didn't have any idea how humans live since she lived all alone, isolated & abandoned in her forest all her life. And so not only does she slowly learn about humans, but also forms various bonds - friendship, family and romantic (even though the romance is halfbaked imo), etc. - learns about the world in general...and humanity, the beautiful, the ugly and the hypocritical.

You see, despite the game having the appearance of being cozy and chill...this is still a witch hunt setting where our Protag is a witch - and you can imagine what that means - although the games doesn't really go edgy with it - even if i wish it did sometimes.

I wanna talk about some really good scenes tho but i don't wanna spoil you the fun 😉

And so Pieberry starts her journey around the country to end the Hunts.

The games does start a bit on the slow side, what's with the first chapters being Pieberry trying to sneak into a village while evading the warriors and not trying to really get anyone's attention to not face capture or execution while trying to satisfy her curiousity - but that usually goes south lol.

One thing the game does well imo is highlight that despite the Witch hunt going on, not everyone is on board since it's quite a recent thing (~10 years before the story started), and so you meet humans who had bonds with Witches from back then, those who betrayed them, those who are just following orders, those who are against the hunts, those who give up and wallow in despair, and more!

And honestly, quite a few of the enemies we meed the games tried to humanize - usually well, sometimes eh.

Ofc a game wouldn't complete without a side cast - and the game has a pretty cool one - which the game develops through the story and very missable side quests.

You see, aside from Merchant requests, you have no ways to keep track of the side quests/stories. Which is a bit of a shame, as the side stories do develop the world and the cast quite a bit. I missed the final part of one such quest - Big F. Tbf, the game can also be a bit cryptic with them sometimes.

Side characters do join the Party from time to time to fight alongside you, and of course for finale you have a classic 4 man party setup...well

Remember how i said above Berry starts alone? The dichotomy between the beginning where Pieberry was alone and finale where she's not only in a 4 man party but can summon 4 pets as well not only highlights her power development, but her character development and and the bonds she formed as well during her journey. It's great.

And ya know, despite having what's effectively an 8 character party (+bird), the gameplay is still smooth & snappy - you don't hear that every day.

Speaking about finale...

Fumbling at the end

The reason that stopped the game from getting over my "fav. game list" barrier, the finale.

You see, i love my JRPG finale meaty, i love my hours long final dungeons, the turns, the challenge, the feeling of "This is it, let's fucking GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!", the end of the journey.

So when the game was preparing me for just that, i was getting hyped up, i was getting ready, the point of no return is coming. The final dungeon is here,....

Only to be faced with 3 hallways with a battle each, 2 of which were boss battles, before the final boss. It left me wanting for quite a bit more. I wanted to use my full party for a whole dungeon and not just a couple battles - especially since the final party member joins right before the final boss...

It was a "Where's my final dungeon? There's more coming, right?" moment.

The game also drops quite the lore bomb at the end, which had me scratching my head ngl. Also Sequel setups.

The finale itself resolves the "current" conflict, so it's not that bad, but ya know, expectations.

Music

The music is not bad, i do quite like what's i've heard...it's just there wasn't enough variety imo.

Conclusion

Pros

• Fun and satisfying gameplay loop, rewarding battles, exploration and crafting
  • Challenging extra bosses
  • Great Protag and good side cast
  • A fun world oozing with charm to explore
  • Cool Story

Cons

• Finale left me wanting
  • Halfbaked Romance
  • Cryptic requirements for some side stories/quests

All in all, it was an amazing journey. In alot of ways, i can call it a modern 90s-early 2000s JRPG, it hits all the notes for that imo, even if it's actually made by a korean dev in 2023 as a remake of a 2015 mobile game (and not a gacha one, but a paid mobile rpg, a rarity). I definitely recommend it, and am planning myself to explore the rest of the series...if they come to PC. 3 is on PC afaik, 2 and 4 not yet. I do hope they get the R treatment as well. I wanna see how the story advances and have some of that fun gameplay loop.

2 is afaik same story as one but different PoV (that of the final Party member - so stories converge on finale i guess?) while 3 and 4 take place somewhere else and advance the story.

Ratings

Gameplay - A

Characters - A

Story - B

Music - B

Misc. - B

8-8.5/10

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

Screenshot_2024-02-23_070700.png?ex=65eb

Nice choice of words, ABC.

5 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Causal was not a typo for casual. A causal relationship is one where one of those things is the cause of the other. What I was trying to say is that I don't think the existence or details of religions really matters to how misogynistic a society is. The mythology is always just a smoke screen, an excuse for inappropriate behavior made to bait those who give people the benefit of the doubt, and the more intellectually minded to fall into a wasteful pit of analysis.

Oh...

I didn't even see that as a typo I just genuinely misread that. Curse my dyslexia, I started that whole debate for nothing!

That either indicates those poor women have tragically lonely lives, or that Guardian Sing has a super sexy voice.

They were both over text so my voice was never heard. It was really funny seeing them peace the fuck out the minute they learn I'm half their age.

To be fair maybe it's my fault for assuming innocence in casual conversations with strangers but hey it's not my fault we live in an individualist culture that insists any friendly interaction with someone you don't already know means a show of interest.

Not to mention the cruelty of sending Oifey away... I might be letting Oifey's ending sway me a little there.

That has always been one of my least favorite tropes, they want me to see it as honorable but it just makes the dad seem like a prick, especially in this case where Seliph's mother is also gone.

Like so. Also just out of curiosity, did you get to see the battle convo between Lex and his father?

I completely forgot that they were related. Prey tell what are the details.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Arvis do a little hypocrising.

Already I can see the Edelgard parallels. Works with the evil guys begrudgingly and steals other people's wives.

just a reminder

RkfTv4h.png

Welcome to the United States, where federal laws clash with individual state laws brought in by the local legislator of each trying to mediate with the president on what is and isn't a right to the state and the people ruling over it.

You know, like feudalism.

39 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Because, despite people looking down it and that number increasing, lotsa people still practice it, it's not really as dangerous as Sibling incest (as long as you don't keep doing it over multiple generations in the same family)

I mean it's this kind of thing happening constantly in royal dynasties over the years that has created the stigma, ain't it.

42 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

maybe not in the US, but when americans see it outside, wether in media or otherwise, they tend to go apeshit over it, not knowing that it is not illegal in most of the world.

I don't know how many Americans who aren't terminally online twitter users or hyper religious puritans are going that crazy over cousin marriage in media, especially since a large chunk of that media is coming from the US as consequence of being the largest culture exporter. I live here, and let me tell you, Americans fucking love stories about monarchs and Greek mythology, neither of which are complete without at least a little bit of incest.

But also I'm with the lawmakers on this one for once, cousin marriage may be legal in most of the world but so is the 5 day work week so really anything is subject to change.

Oh wait, @Saint Rubenio I was wrong. One of those bandit characters I mentioned? Killing him gets you 15 Divine Shards. You need 30 to recruit the angel lady that temporarily joins for that mission. The Divine Shards can be gotten at any time, killing the bandit simply speeds up recruiting the angel.

So yeah. The strat would be to make a save right before taking the main enemy command post and then seeing which outcome looks more beneficial to you.

although the games doesn't really go edgy with it - even if i wish it did sometimes

Shrimpy when game doesn't show you the brutal massacre of innocents 😡

48 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Americans fucking love stories about monarchs and Greek mythology, neither of which are complete without at least a little bit of incest.

Game of Thrones was the biggest show for a decade before it fumbled. And I'm fairly certain it had incest on full display.

4 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

just a reminder

RkfTv4h.png

You’re sending mixed messages here Shrimp-kun.

YRbGRkkcvhTUSS7ft0LRqs.jpg?ex=65eb61ac&i

Thank you Vandham, very cool.

Anyways

hScK6FpRmFmMi4Z2GlZ7VC.jpg?ex=65eb61ac&i

to the skies!

23 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

adds to the immersion

Shrimpy when innocents are brutally murdered

Screenshot_2023-11-16_at_2.55.47_PM.png

On 2/20/2024 at 6:39 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

My commendations!😃 No idea when you first began, but if it was years ago, I get it, I've done that, it happens.😅

I've had it for awhile but I started my most recent playthrough last year. Chao data is saved separately from the main game, so I've had my Chao for much longer than that.

On 2/20/2024 at 6:39 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

...Now this I was not aware of. (Or actually I probably was, but I forgot.😆) *Checks Sonic Wiki*

I'm guessing the original team concepts predated the Speed/Fly/Power system, so Team Chaotix probably stuck around over the other classic teams because they fit it the best. I also like Team Dark and Team Rose as they are in the final version; Omega is a good addition and while Big never actually interacts with Amy in Adventure, I think he fits in well as a big brother figure to her and Cream. I value Chaos's rare appearances but I admit that he wouldn't really fit into Heroes.

On 2/21/2024 at 6:16 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

Arguments for AI: It's convenient, clear and believable.

Arguments for sentence mixing:

It's a good thing that science allows us to hear Morshu read the Bible.

11 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Are you going to try and unlock the secret level by getting all the medals? I never did as a kid, but could probably pull it of now... hmm...I might have to put that on my game backlog now...

I could try, right now I'm focusing on getting the remaining upgrades. I imagine getting A-ranks in every mission is probably beyond my capabilities though.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Blue haired chick on the top

Hey she's cute-

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

is Alain's cousin

@BrightBow And anyone else it may concern.

Kaga speaks again. He claims to have exaggerated a bit in his prior health concern claims. In fact, apparently he's just... spent a good bunch of his time recently just playing videogames. Turns out he was procrastinating all along lmao. He includes a screenshot of some of his games, revealing that this 70 year old has spent a thousand hours in Rimworld and three thousand in this game from five years ago.

Jesus fucking Christ he beats my TF2 numbers. Shouzou motherfucking Kaga.

On brighter news, he claims a "powerful helper" has popped up, so production of the VS1 remake is resumed. Whoop!

Edited by Saint Rubenio

@Saint Rubenio Thanks for the ping. Following Twitter accounts has become rather troublesome, what with the timeline no longer being sorted chronologically.

That's a lot of hours in Age of Empires II. I wonder how well he does with that one. I mean, with RTS games there is like no real ceiling. No matter how fast you are, there is always more stuff that you could manage.

I feel like Age of Empires II might be particularly extreme about it. Just because of how it changed over the years. The game was originally released back in 1999 with a population limit of 75. In the HD Edition, that pop limit was raised to 200.
Besides the difficulty of managing so many more units, this means you can also boom in a way that simply wasn't possible back in the day. So keeping like 3-4 or more Town Centers constantly producing villagers the entire time. I can't imagine staying on top of something like that.

Also, for whatever reason the "Definitive Edition" changed the default speed from 1.5 to 1.7. Did someone really think the game needed to be even faster?

21 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

ollowing Twitter accounts has become rather troublesome

some nitter instances still work (for now)

nitter.holo-mix.com

nitter.unixfox.eu

These are the 2 i use atm to check on certain accounts i like to follow

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

some nitter instances still work (for now)

nitter.holo-mix.com

nitter.unixfox.eu

These are the 2 i use atm to check on certain accounts i like to follow

Thanks.