Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That's it really. It was the first country so they called dibs on the America name. If the continent was called Terra Nova or some shit, then it'd be the United States of ___".

Also back then, people of the country were citizens of the state first, country second. You were New Yorker or Texan before American. It wasn't until after the Civil War that the American identity really took hold. Hence, United States *of*.

No, it's more that America wasn't a designation of the country itself, but where it was located. And indeed, it took until the end of the 19th century before the former use began in significant effort. If anything, it was Columbia what they considered the country to have as a proper name instead of "United States".

• Replies 177.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Which is ultimately why the whole thing is so silly. I'm pretty sure "there are other countries in America besides America" was never an issue until the rise of social media or at least it wasn't widespread. If you say American, the average person anywhere in the world knows which country you're referring to.

I'm not saying it leads to confusion, I'm saying it's extremely arrogant lol

But at this point it's just a thing. Deeply ingrained and really not important enough to try to change. It's just interesting to stop for a moment and think about how a country appropriated the identity of its entire continent because it believed it was just that big of a deal.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

I'm not saying it leads to confusion, I'm saying it's extremely arrogant lol

But at this point it's just a thing. Deeply ingrained and really not important enough to try to change. It's just interesting to stop for a moment and think about how a country appropriated the identity of its entire continent because it believed it was just that big of a deal.

Something something Manifest Destiny something something

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

Eventually Star Fox fans will admit that Assault is the best game. It's a proper continuation of 64 (gameplay and plotwise) while still doing its own thing.

The problem with Assault was the on-foot segments are generally thought to have been insipid. While the Arwing missions/segments are liked or disliked depending on who you're talking to.

If they had tightened the 3rd-person 3D foot shooter stuff, maybe Assault would've been better received. Not like Nintendo has any franchise that specializes in this kind of action. Although, this might've required divorcing these physical levels from having Arwing/Landmaster stuff built into them too.

I did like Assault years ago, the presentation looked good. And the narrative -while nothing new for sci-fi whatsoever- was serious with surprising dark notes.

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

Command is too but it's controversial for different reasons.

The popularity of multiverse shenanigans in media has drastically grown in the past decade.

Thus, I propose we continue Star Fox from the ending of Command, all of them.

• We begin Star Fox: Disorder from the perspective of the pre-Key of Destiny ending. Where Fox still can't get over his breakup with Krystal.
  • The primary villain is Venom yet again, led by the Evil Dash from that ending. He meets internal yet underground opposition from the Good Dash from the happy ending where Amanda joined Star Fox.
  • Kursed is out there, somewhere, struggling to redeem herself.
  • Star Fox Gen 3- the one led by Fox & Krystal's son Marcus, also shows up in this story. As does Star Falco, and the triumphant Star Wolf from the same ending as Kursed.
  • Also, prepare for FALCON BARREL ROLL! Because who did you think Fox & Falco met during their F-Zero days?
  • Oh, and Pigma -since he was only fought on two endings- shows up yet again, a copy of him from every other route. Because who can truly eradicate the Aparoids?

...I never played Command, but I will give it points for giving everyone their own personal air/space fighters instead of identical Arwings and Wolfens. Style matters in sci-fi.

1 hour ago, Shrimpica said:

2sggCv0.png

I thought Tsukihime wasn't Servantmon?

43 minutes ago, Shrimpica said:

whip swords will never be not cool tbh

I feel like they were ruined for me at a young age. Blame Soulcalibur II and Ivy.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Thus, I propose we continue Star Fox from the ending of Command, all of them.

Elder Scroll Fans: "So, which Daggerfall ending is canon?"

Bethesda: "Yes."

17 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I thought Tsukihime wasn't Servantmon?

Yes. It's more Churchies and vampires. And the remake infact retcons the fact that Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night take place on the same timeline. Something Something humanity in remake too weak to summon heroic spirits.

What makes you think here that she looks like a Servant?

Edited by Shrimpica

56 minutes ago, Shrimpica said:

Yes. It's more Churchies and vampires. And the remake infact retcons the fact that Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night take place on the same timeline. Something Something humanity in remake too weak to summon heroic spirits.

What makes you think here that she looks like a Servant?

-Nothing, I have no idea what'd even define the appearance of one. It was a joke, is all. Sorry!😅 It was seemingly a mostly peaceful(?)-looking VN, glasses girl suddenly swaps to contacts and a hella big sword, seemed kinda incongruous and as if she had become 5* pull material.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

9hFQeCk.png

29 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sorry!

no need to apologize XD

29 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It was seemingly a mostly peaceful(?)-looking VN

...ok, what gave you that impression? XD

> Vess making dumplings

> Game shows ONIGIRI

Spencer I may be an idiot... but I'm not stupid Meme Generator

At least she did not made jelly-filled doughnuts...

Oh, how interesting. Her designer is the mangaka of Martian Successor Nadesico.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

47 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh, how interesting. Her designer is the mangaka of Martian Successor Nadesico.

I would've had no idea of that.😆

With Super Star in mind, I was reminded today that in Japanese, "Revenge of Meta Knight" is "Meta Naito no Gyakushu". "Gyakushu" being alternatively translatable as "Counterattack". Changing the English word structuring to "Meta Knight's Counterattack"... trade the blue cape for a red, add one of those helmets, and I'll leave the rest to your imagination.😜

4 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

If anything, it was Columbia what they considered the country to have as a proper name instead of "United States".

I like how both America and Canada have a "Columbia".

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's just interesting to stop for a moment and think about how a country appropriated the identity of its entire continent because it believed it was just that big of a deal.

Yeah Australians have had it good for too long.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The problem with Assault was the on-foot segments are generally thought to have been insipid. While the Arwing missions/segments are liked or disliked depending on who you're talking to.

Unrelated but when I first played Star Fox 64 3D years ago, I had played Ratchet and Clank earlier so I was expecting to fly around to different planets and land on them.

I didn't know it was a remake lol.

47 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I like how both America and Canada have a "Columbia".

Columbia was the goddess-personification of the American continents (which Europeans initially regarded as a single continent) -and later the United States- from the late 1600s to the end of the 1800s (in the US perspective). When the Big French Lady came our way in 1886, the copper-green goddess gradually replaced Columbia, and this was finalized by 1931- when the "Star-Spangled Banner" replaced "Hail Columbia" as the national anthem of the United States. Although, Columbia Pictures was so named in 1924, one of her last starring roles.

(Uncle Sam appeared in the first half of the 1800s, yet it was not until the 1860s and 70s that he began gaining widespread popularity/notoriety as the embodiment of the United States/federal government. It wasn't until World War I that Uncle Sam fully replaced Columbia in war propaganda.)

...I remembered a two-page article on the history of Lady Columbia in Smithsonian Magazine *flips to the cover* from September-October last year. Just parroting what's written in it.🇺🇸🤓

47 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah Australians have had it good for too long.

Thankfully we have the regional concept of "Oceania".

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

They put Candace in FEH. Capturable units are now fair game.

Heroes is now 0.03% less bad. They also added Yukimura, which is like... Why? He's the second least popular character in the game, beating only Fuga because Fuga is a Rev exclusive of all things.

Not that I'm complaining. I like Yukimura.

6 hours ago, Shrimpica said:

They trying to bait Ruben eh

They fail, but good attempt.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

12 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

...I never played Command, but I will give it points for giving everyone their own personal air/space fighters instead of identical Arwings and Wolfens. Style matters in sci-fi.

I would say the credit here very much belongs to Starfox 2. As do most things about Command that at least conceptually seem like a good idea.

G5wEOTx.png

Umm, Arc, this is not your route

TlWOWr7.png

...true...

yhodnll.png

Should i switch back xD

ETLYsps.png

Wouldn't be a chuunige without a coolringe monologue lmao

----------------------

8HxjNkU.png

The machines learns emotions, and so..

ckVGlA1.png

becomes human...

sep845j.png

but to be human is not only to love, but also to hate

But what does it mean for a perfect being - the embodiment of the Planet, to become human?

dRmvUZs.png

The city is doomed

d1MeSXd.png

Arc needs a math class

Edited by Shrimpica