Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

41 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I also heard that phantoms were useless so...

Well they aren't meant to be used offensively. They are just fodder. Like that one time i used Phantom to drain Valter or whatever his name was of all his weapon uses. Did it take like 40 turns? Yes. Was it funny? Yes.

41 minutes ago, Sooks said:

At the very least, those update sprites are nice.

The sprites are very neat, yeah. Pirates have a way better sprite, i never liked how they looked normally in the GBA games. Echidna has a variation of the Hero animation where she doesn't have a shield but instead gives her axe a lot more weight to it. Fir gets the Lyn Master Lord animation as a Swordmaster.

Female Snipers got the biggest buff tho, their new animation is basically just Robin Hood.

31 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hey, I can't say I blame 'em. Lyon's animations are amazing.

Agreed.

GBA era in general has the best animations. A part of me would like FE to return to being sprite-based because the animations are honestly way cooler. Although SoV's animations are the best 3D animations if i recall.

Edited by Armagon

• Replies 176.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

I don't think facing 10 Black Riders is ''fun''

I love the map and all, but the last 3 turns when they spam Black riders is way too much

That's my point. The shield they have is BS, plain and simple. Punish me for playing, seems fair enough. Maybe that shield should have low block % rate, and maybe it might be tolerable.

The Lance's they have deal 36 damage average, okay.

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

GBA era in general has the best animations.

When you don't count KagaSaga, yeah. But not if you count KagaSaga because it honestly can't compete with Berwick, that game is absolutely gorgeous.

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

A part of me would like FE to return to being sprite-based because the animations are honestly way cooler.

Frankly, I've always thought this. Games like FE do not need 3D, it requires more investment and effort and the end result isn't necessarily better. Three Houses being downright hideous and running like crap only helps my case.

42 minutes ago, Sooks said:

But people said Ewan’s summons sucked and that Knoll’s were way better. Since Knoll is out the window now, do you think that summoner utility outweighs the better stats (I’m assuming) of Druid and anima magic? I also heard that phantoms were useless so...

No offense to anyone involved, but... Where exactly do you get this advice from? It sounds like the kind of stuff that passed as the absolute truth in Gamefaqs back in 2008.

Anyway, summons are awesome because they can be used as distractions, since there are very little things an enemy will take over a 1 HP, 0 def little phantom. Dark magic works fine for combat, and summoners' stats are virtually the same as druids'. Besides, if you wanted Ewan to use anima, you might as well have made him mage to preserve the rank.

Druid does have better animations, though. That is true.

As long as they're not Tellius animations, I am a happy man. Everything in the franchise, (Barring those armor knights in Jugdral) is amazing comparatively.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Only thing cool about gba is their crit animations

otherwise they are even ugly when compared to SNES sprites

Hottest take, right here.

I always were fond of how dynamic the SNES fights are. The sprited move around, jump all over the place, sometimes they even swap places! The 1 pixel faces were funky, though.

1 minute ago, Benice said:

As long as they're not Tellius animations, I am a happy man. Everything in the franchise, (Barring those armor knights in Jugdral) is amazing comparatively.

Credit where credit is due: 3H's awful graphics and performance did not ruin the game for me. PoR's slow-as-molasses game speed, however... Kinda did.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

always were fond of how dynamic the SNES fights are. The sprited move around, jump all over the place, sometimes they even swap places! The 1 pixel faces were funky, though.

Yeah, me too, especially with Myrmidons and other foot units. I love the crits.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Credit where credit is due: 3H's awful graphics and performance did not ruin the game for me. PoR's slow-as-molasses game speed, however... Kinda did

Yep. As long as the animations aren't disruptive, I can enjoy 'em.

(Although I stil don't see why people think TH is so hideous, tbh. Looks pretty good to me...)

I honestly didn't think Tellius animations were that slow...

Maybe because i played FE4 right before Tellius, and in FE4 you can unironically go and eat lunch during enemy phase. Especially since no one will damage your units anyway. Unit quality in FE4 is worse than FE5

RD had some clean, formal, and good flashy animations though. It's neat when two Soldiers/Halberdiers enter a battle against each other. And I stand by the ultimate spells, they're as awesome as they are pathetically weak.

---

The Citadel Laurent bosses remain two of the harder fights in the game. I noticed this time that the game puts a chest with three Poseidon Claws in the same small room as the Gold Mana Statue before the first boss, seemed fishy. However, I forgot to put them on the item ring before the boss battle, the result was that the battle was too difficult and I got a Game Over. I did realize from Hawkeye's water ninjutsu that the boss is indeed weak to water, and somehow it weakens the boss's offense too I think, though the ninjutsu puts its flame out for hardly any time. Second try against the boss, popping two of the Poseidon Claws on Riesz made it much faster and easier. The second Citadel boss battle was harder than I remember, I was burning through the healing items. The first boss fight after the Citadel was a little long, and its whirlwind attack is too strong, but with Angela around this time, three Fairy Walnuts and spamming Holy Bolt made it a fairly mindless, if not entirely harmless, boss battle.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

RD had some clean, formal, and good flashy animations though. It's neat when two Soldiers/Halberdiers enter a battle against each other. And I stand by the ultimate spells, they're as awesome as they are pathetically weak.

RD was definitely an improvement, but PoR was difficult to stay awake with.

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

RD flat out has the best animations in the series. PoR’s aren’t half bad either

Ehhh I don't agree, but at least I can see a case being made for RD. PoR, on the other hand, heavily suffers from "first 3D title" syndrome.

8 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I honestly didn't think Tellius animations were that slow...

Maybe because i played FE4 right before Tellius, and in FE4 you can unironically go and eat lunch during enemy phase. Especially since no one will damage your units anyway. Unit quality in FE4 is worse than FE5

Jikes... And thus I continue to hesitate to try out 4. On the one hand, it's a Kaga game and I'm filthy elitist scum. On the other hand, most people praise it for its story, and in FE that's a huge red flag for me.

10 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

RD flat out has the best animations in the series. PoR’s aren’t half bad either.

They're too slow, though. While RD's are improved and are nice to look to for a while, Path of Radiance's aren't very good and are slower than me to finish my homework. Especially wih how many enemies they cram into each map... Ch. 8 took me around... I think it was two hours to finish.

Although the bigger problem wih Tellius' anims is that there's no significantly faster alternative.

IMO the best are SoV's, 'cause they're fast and they're dynamic. They sorta looked like a 3d version of SNES's, actually.

23 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Only thing cool about gba is their crit animations

otherwise they are even ugly when compared to SNES sprites

The rare Shrimpy L.

16 minutes ago, Benice said:

(Although I stil don't see why people think TH is so hideous, tbh. Looks pretty good to me...)

It looks not good when you compare it to basically any other major first party game on the console. Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are gorgeous, Splatoon 2 is very vibrant, Smash has a lot of detail to it and the three Xenoblade games on the console look absolutely amazing because Xenoblade.

Only major first party game that looks worse than 3H is Sword and Shield.

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

PoR, on the other hand, heavily suffers from "first 3D title" syndrome.

PoR animations have big "did he just walk up slowly and down smash" vibes to it except it's not hilarious and it happens all the time.

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

On the other hand, most people praise it for its story, and in FE that's a huge red flag for me.

And it's not even the whole story, most people just praise Gen 1. Gen 2 is just FE 101.

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

IMO the best are SoV's, 'cause they're fast and they're dynamic. They sorta looked like a 3d version of GBA's, actually.

Fixed 🙂

Basically how I feel about SoV's animations, although I still maintain that the GBA is the best.

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

And what some people do with SRPG studio man

This is just an animation showcase

Pretty damn cool overall!

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

And it's not even the whole story, most people just praise Gen 1. Gen 2 is just FE 101.

Honestly, gen 2 kinda sounds like pain. Generic-ass story, hopelessly overpowered cast because screw difficulty, the big maps still there? Jikes...

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

They're too slow, though.

Mia's skill proc animation would like to know your location.

So would Sothe's crits, myrm crits, and most of the casts attack animations, barring armor knights.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It looks not good when you compare it to basically any other major first party game on the 

Aah.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

major first party game that looks worse than 3H is Sword and Shield.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks Sw/Sh looks good...

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Fixed 🙂

Or both, I guess.

My faborite animations in the eries:

• FE5 Myrmidons
  • GBA Geberals, Druids, Valkyriies
  • FE10 Halberdier/Sentinel
  • DSFE Dracoknights, Bishops, mages
  • Fates overall looked pretty good, but a little unmemorable.
  • Everyhing in SoV .
  • Spellcasters in 3H.

FE4 is like the biggest example of why evil cult should he done away with.

Arvis went from being "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" to doing things against his will because the evil cult and his demon-possesed inbred son took over everything.

Just now, Shrimperor said:

Isn't there a way to erase the Part 4 rout maps from existence so i can replay the games xD

Just pretend there is no Part 4.

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

Again, when you see what most modern consoles can do, you'll realize that the Switch tends to lag behind quite a bit.

Well it's not necessarily about if the graphics reach hyperrealistic 4K or anything. Art direction is more important.

6 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

So would Sothe's crits, myrm crits

Five units are in those classes in a game with 60+ units...

Plus, crits and skill procs aren't all most attacks. Maybe 25% at best.

6 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

and most of the casts attack animations, barring armor knights

Ehhhh... Saint/Bishops are pretty quick... 

Otherwise thry're fairly slow. Throwing animations are all around quite slow, Laguz are very slow, Dragon/Wyvern.classes are fairly slow...

Not saying that the animations are bad, they're just not fast enough.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Why am I even here...

For SRW?

Edited by Benice