Fire Emblem Heroes - New Heroes (A New Future)

XRay

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Edelgard's boob plate either. It's just so ... pointless. And probably non-functional as a piece of armor. I mean ... if your armor hugs the exact curves of your body the way Edelgard's top half is shown, if anything pierces that armor you're probably dead.

By the way, has cuboon done any guys except for the first two Reinhardts? I don't remember either of his Olwens being overly busty either.

Yeah, that's definitely the thing that bugs me most about it.

19 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

In contrast, the Byleth+Rhea art has always made me somewhat uncomfortable. The proportions feel super weird.

Yeah, this is kinda true. But they're not nearly as bad as *cringe* hotspring Camilla. Now THAT is a very good example of shit proportioning.

And yep, I was right that Edelgard isn't all that busty nor ever has much of a boob plate in TH. Her armor looks more on the realistic side.

Edited by Anacybele

11 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

The following is about all I could find, her official timeskip artwork.

Reveal hidden contents

latest?cb=20190612065130

This, in contrast, is her in-game timeskip Armored lord and Emperor models.

Reveal hidden contents

latest?cb=20190801231033
latest?cb=20190915013413

And lastly, her in-game timeskip portrait

Reveal hidden contents

latest?cb=20190613172352

Sometimes, I wonder why I do these things...

In-game Edelgard's chest is on the smaller side of things while the artwork seems to enlarge it quite a lot. For me in-game they seem like normal breasts that you could see in a real life woman (unlike Byleth and Rhea). 

Personally I really liked that Edelgard was popular for her character and not chest (Camilla comes to mind), so when the other versions were faithful to the sourse material it made me kind of glad. Then this one arrives but again that's nitpicking, at the end of it IS couldn't decide themselves whether she was busty or not. 

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, this is kinda true. But they're not nearly as bad as *cringe* hotspring Camilla. Now THAT is a very good example of shit proportioning.

My headcanon is that lack doesn't like Camilla and made her as shit as possible. There is no way they can screw up Camilla that badly when Silque and Dimitri are so amazing.

1 minute ago, Sunwoo said:

My headcanon is that lack doesn't like Camilla and made her as shit as possible. There is no way they can screw up Camilla that badly when Silque and Dimitri are so amazing.

You know what, that actually sounds really plausible. I feel bad for lack having to draw her if that's the case.

Going back on topic, I honestly hope I get Dimitri without having to spark for him. I still want orbs for the legendary banner since Hrid's coming back and legendary Elincia has the highest chance she's ever had of being there.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

You know what, that actually sounds really plausible. I feel bad for lack having to draw her if that's the case.

Going back on topic, I honestly hope I get Dimitri without having to spark for him. I still want orbs for the legendary banner since Hrid's coming back and legendary Elincia has the highest chance she's ever had of being there.

The CYL banner will still be running when the legendary banner hits, so you could see how the legendary banner goes before deciding how much you want to put into this one.

Are you using your non-spark free pull on someone other than Dimitri?

10 minutes ago, Othin said:

The CYL banner will still be running when the legendary banner hits, so you could see how the legendary banner goes before deciding how much you want to put into this one.

Are you using your non-spark free pull on someone other than Dimitri?

Firstly, like I said, I'll be pulling on that banner regardless because Hrid. I only need three more of him to make him +10!

Second, yes, I've already said my free pick will be Claude. He's my fav TH character not named Sylvain.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Firstly, like I said, I'll be pulling on that banner regardless because Hrid. I only need three more of him to make him +10!

Second, yes, I've already said my free pick will be Claude. He's my fav TH character not named Sylvain.

Makes sense. Still, once you see how Hrid goes, and Elincia if necessary, you'll know if you have more orbs to spare on Dimitri.

9 minutes ago, Othin said:

Makes sense. Still, once you see how Hrid goes, and Elincia if necessary, you'll know if you have more orbs to spare on Dimitri.

Yeah, that's probably how it'll go for me. Though I doubt I'll have much if Elincia is indeed who we're getting on the 31st. I'm gonna want a few copies of her to merge. XD I won't go for +10 right away, that's WAY too much right now, but I'd like to get a start on it.

I'm still not sure who I want to pick for my free summon. It's down to either Dimitri or Claude. Claude's Barbarossa class is one of my favorites in all of Three Houses, and even in just the series in general, but Dimitri is probably my favorite TH character (next to Marianne and maybe Ashe).

2 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

After looking through their other art, including the equally busty and not nearly as freakish Kagero, that sounds unnervingly possible. That or they were drunk when they did the art. Whatever the reason, that art is reprehensibly bad.

Edited by bottlegnomes

3 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Edelgard's boob plate either. It's just so ... pointless. And probably non-functional as a piece of armor. I mean ... if your armor hugs the exact curves of your body the way Edelgard's top half is shown, if anything pierces that armor you're probably dead.

Real-life plate armor at the height of medieval technology is not so weak as to actually be pierced. It can be bent by heavy, blunt weapons like maces and hammers, but typically not outright pierced. Piercing attacks were designed to be deflected along the curves and grooves to go around the armor.

From a realistically functional standpoint, the only issue with the breastplate are the holes over the collar. A deflected arrow or spear can easily get trapped by one of the holes and go into her collar or neck. (Though probably not a spear because all of the spears in Fire Emblem are too wide or have horizontal pointy things that are counter-productive.)

And if you want "non-functional" armor, codpieces with huge dongs were a thing in real-life armor, but they also only sacrifice a little bit of functionality for the purpose of fashion.

As for Edelgard's boobs not being actually that big, that's the advantage of wearing armor made of rigid material. You can make the boobs or the dong on your armor as big as you want and no one has to know that it's all air and padding inside.

EDIT: Another point about the breastplate. The joints for articulation at the waist are arranged with the top piece overlapping the bottom piece. If someone gets a knife or sword through the joint, the blade is going up into the chest and not down into the abdomen. But that depends on how well-fitted the joints are and if you can actually get a blade through the gap.

On the other hand, her head, neck, and armpit are unarmored, so you'd probably just go for one of those instead of some minuscule gap in the armor.

EDIT 2: Oh, and on that note, I'd definitely be more worried about a spear going through my face than a spear going through my armor. Armor is sturdy. Faces are not.

Edited by Ice Dragon

That was certainty an... interesting read about medieval armor/plating. I have learned something, but don't know what I'll do with that knowledge going forward. 

On a somewhat different note, I have a hot take on Brave Edelgard. She's going to be the first hero to have her base Atk, Def, & Res be 40 or higher! It's going to happen baby! Let's min-max these bst.

Edited by Clear World

6 hours ago, Kaden said:

But yeah, at the end of the day, a CYL unit being agreed upon as the F2P pick is harder to argue for when their free pick banner will eventually expire or as there are more stronger units, free or not, they have to offer something substantial which is not as easy it was back then for CYL1 and CYL2.

Yup, that's the main reason I'm an advocate of just going for the one you like best, that pretty much guarantees you'll get a lot of use out of them. I fell on the trap of choosing B!Micaiah because she was the "Best for F2P" and after like a month she's just rotting in my barracks and I regret not choosing Eliwood. 

6 hours ago, Kaden said:

I know what you're talking about, but the words "officer" and "Hilda" together made me wonder if that is the worst thing in the world with how lazy she is or the best thing because she is lazy and/or will end up doing a terrific job because she tried to put off her work onto someone else only for that person to fail horribly.

That's exactly the theme I was going for when I gave her the Officer's cap! Accessories can really help you make some fun head canons and if you customize the unit to fit said role it gets even better. Officer Hilda has a teleporting schtick using Escape Route which acts as both her leaving her work to her teammates because she's too lazy to do it herself and also her having to go back to clean the mess her team gets into because of course that'll happen to her, lol. 

I think the biggest practical issue with boobplate is that there is now an enormous steel wedge now pointed directly at your sternum. Any sort of frontal impact and it's goodnight for your ribcage, and consequently your internal organs. In directing any force towards your vitals instead of away from them, the whole concept of boobplate is pretty much in opposition of what good armour should do.

Edited by Humanoid

33 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

I think the biggest practical issue with boobplate is that there is now an enormous steel wedge now pointed directly at your sternum. Any sort of frontal impact and it's goodnight for your ribcage, and consequently your internal organs. In directing any force towards your vitals instead of away from them, the whole concept of boobplate is pretty much in opposition of what good armour should do.

How exactly is the armor going to hit your sternum? It's metal armor. Metal armor is rigid. It won't suddenly flex inward to poke you in the sternum.

The entire armor will push on your body all as one big object. If for some reason you're not wearing any padding underneath, the parts of your body that will be taking the force will be the parts that are closest to the armor, and for any competently designed armor, that'll be the part right near your collarbone and the part at the bottom of your chest or even as low as your waist. You might break your collarbone or a few of your lower ribs on a really hard hit, but most likely not your sternum.

The "sternum argument" only makes any sense at all if for some reason the armor is designed so that the part between the boobs is closer to your body than any other part of the armor. Even for the more stereotypical boob plate that just covers the boobs (ones with the same coverage as Elibe's pegasus knight armor, but more form-fitting), it would still be expected that the perimeter of the armor is closer to the body than any part of the rest of the surface.

And if Edelgard is not wearing padding underneath her armor, she can certainly at least pad her boobs to absorb more impact and keep the armor a bit farther away from the center of her ribcage.

Edited by Ice Dragon

1 hour ago, Clear World said:

That was certainty an... interesting read about medieval armor/plating. I have learned something, but don't know what I'll do with that knowledge going forward. 

On a somewhat different note, I have a hot take on Brave Edelgard. She's going to be the first hero to have her base Atk, Def, & Res be 40 or higher! It's going to happen baby! Let's min-max these bst.

That's actually my take on things as well. If Dimitri is going to have 178 BST and is also extremely tanky, then Edelgard and pretty much every armor to an extent in order to keep their niche and be different from infantries that have the same BST , then 185 BST is a must and min maxed statlines should also be a more common thing. Personally I think that only cavalries, fliers and ranged armors needed to get a boost to begin with, armors had plenty of BST and infantries were already insane as they were but let's not get there. 

But to talk about what you said about her spread. If Edelgard has 185 BST and as the channel showed her full HP is 48, she can have exactly 40 to Atk/Def/Res and she is left with 17 spd which is most likely her actual Spd and getting doubled doesn't matter to her that much due to the damage reduction and this also is her legendary variant's Spd. I personally think her Atk is going to he a bit higher from 41 to 42 (Rudolf can keep 43 warm for Boar Dimitri), her Res will be 40 as it's the focus of her kit and Def will be dropped for 1 or 2 points depending on her attack. 

i honestly have no problem with L!Edelgard 2.0's artworks: i like cuboon's artstyle, she's well drawn, so i have nothing to say against them

about her boobplate, i mean, it's still anime fantasy, artists are not required to draw 100% historically accurate nor practical armor/weapon designs: also we still remember that Camilla's """armor""" is a thing, right? yeah, i wish i didn't too, and i'd personally take 100 Boobplate Edelgards over a single Camilla

Edited by Yexin

4 hours ago, Yexin said:

about her boobplate, i mean, it's still anime fantasy, artists are not required to draw 100% historically accurate nor practical armor/weapon designs:

Being "anime fantasy" doesn't magically excuse you for bad designs any more than being "horror" magically excuses you for overusing jump scares.

Something that looks dumb still looks dumb. Whether it matters that it looks dumb depends on whether it was intentional and whether it fits with the tone and setting.

And I'm here to argue that boob plate is practical even in a sufficiently grounded setting as long as it's designed competently because there are a lot of misconceptions about how medieval armor works in the first place.

4 hours ago, Yexin said:

also we still remember that Camilla's """armor""" is a thing, right?

Camilla rides a flying dragon. The only parts of her body that would realistically be at significant risk of getting hit are her arms and the sides of her legs, both of which are sufficiently covered in armor. It's practical enough to get a pass from me.

If you're looking for impractical, look no further than Donnel. He doesn't have the excuse of superhuman dodging ability like myrmidons or the excuse of being sneaky and unseen like thieves or the excuse of not being supposed to be on the front lines like archers and mages or the excuse of being a joke character like seasonals to be wearing no armor other than a pot on his head.

Edited by Ice Dragon

38 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Being "anime fantasy" doesn't magically excuse you for bad designs any more than being "horror" magically excuses you for overusing jump scares.

Something that looks dumb still looks dumb. Whether it matters that it looks dumb depends on whether it was intentional and whether it fits with the tone and setting.

And I'm here to argue that boob plate is fine even in a sufficiently grounded setting as long as it's designed competently because there are a lot of misconceptions about how medieval armor works in the first place.

You don't think boob plate looks dumb, but I and others think it does.

54 minutes ago, Othin said:

You don't think boob plate looks dumb, but I and others think it does.

I don't think it looks dumb, but I understand that other people might not share my opinion.

However, my objections are not to people that think it looks dumb, but to people who say it's impractical or non-functional.

The double line break was there to separate the two thoughts from each other, but I suppose I failed to be clear enough as the word "fine" could easily be interpreted to mean "not dumb". I have fixed it with an edit to avoid confusion.

Edited by Ice Dragon

are we seriously discussing "boob"plate functionality of a character, in a fictional game, set in a fictional world, with a fictional story.

Seriously its all fictional and never meant to be compared to the reality or how it "would" behave in reality. Its just dumb.

https://old.reddit.com/r/FireEmblemHeroes/comments/iaie90/while_i_agree_that_brave_edelgards_armor_is/

This is interesting, I hadn't been aware of how close her armor in the original game was to this. Although I still think it looks dumb, and some comments make the good point that the lighting and/or angle make it stand out more in Heroes.

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

If you're looking for impractical, look no further than Donnel. He doesn't have the excuse of superhuman dodging ability like myrmidons or the excuse of being sneaky and unseen like thieves or the excuse of not being supposed to be on the front lines like archers and mages or the excuse of being a joke character like seasonals to be wearing no armor other than a pot on his head.

The art in FE, and by extension FEH, is typically their outift from when they join, with some very rare changes later (though more in FEH). Donnel is also a villager from an incredibly poor town. Unless you're saying they should jerry-rig armor from other scraps of metal they have, he doesn't really have another option, but that's why villagers die en masse. The pot is a joke though, and is in fact meant to highlight how unbelievably out of their league they are. Is Donnel's armor impractical? Absolutely. Is that impracticality intentional on the part of the artists? Also absolutely.

If we're going for impractical in-combat outfits based on art and character context, scrolling through the FEH characters by origin, the first one I'd give a serious nod to is Sirius. Horse-schmorse, a lance to the arm is going right through a cape and jacket no matter how heavy. And there could still be a case made for him given the backstory. I'd personally give the nod to any of the pegasus knights or even Michalis and his lack of anything armored except gloves, but they fall into the same "on a flying creature so they won't be getting attacked much" category as Camilla, which I personally find to be somewhat spurious reasoning, but not enough to go into here.

25 minutes ago, Othin said:

https://old.reddit.com/r/FireEmblemHeroes/comments/iaie90/while_i_agree_that_brave_edelgards_armor_is/

This is interesting, I hadn't been aware of how close her armor in the original game was to this. Although I still think it looks dumb, and some comments make the good point that the lighting and/or angle make it stand out more in Heroes.

That is interesting. It's definitely played up a little in Heroes (breasts rounder, waist thinner), but not to the extent it initially seems. On an entirely personal note, that's an ugly shade of gold though. Just yech.

Edited by bottlegnomes