How I imagine a Fire Emblem 4 remake

JungleGoutte01

5 minutes ago, Metal Flash said:

I don`t think aluding to Ares` existance would be "too forshadowy" personally, but to each their own.

Maybe you could have the forshadowy memory prisims available on subsequent playthroughs and ones for minor side content on the first

Fair enough. My point is more that players who haven't yet played Gen II would likely see such a scene and ask "who are they, and why should I care?" Whereas, to someone who's already beaten the game once, they can see this scene to get an "oh, THAT's where Ares came from and how he got Mystletainn!"

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

I don`t think aluding to Ares` existance would be "too forshadowy" personally, but to each their own.

Maybe you could have the forshadowy memory prisims available on subsequent playthroughs and ones for minor side content on the first

The game actually does something like this with the opening demo.

3 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

My point is more that players who haven't yet played Gen II would likely see such a scene and ask "who are they, and why should I care?" Whereas, to someone who's already beaten the game once, they can see this scene to get an "oh, THAT's where Ares came from and how he got Mystletainn!"

A fair point, I just think most players would appreciate that kind of foreshadowing. In general, I think memory prisims should be used to explain background details like those. Ones which aren`t needed to enjoy the story, but can fill in the gaps for those who wish to know more. 

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

The game actually does something like this with the opening demo.

Really? I wasn`t aware, I think I have only seen snippets of the opening demo.

3 minutes ago, Metal Flash said:

A fair point, I just think most players would appreciate that kind of foreshadowing. In general, I think memory prisims should be used to explain background details like those. Ones which aren`t needed to enjoy the story, but can fill in the gaps for those who wish to know more. 

Really? I wasn`t aware, I think I have only seen snippets of the opening demo.

Viola

And to clarify how it's similar, a lot of these scenes can only be viewed after beating the game a number of times.

6 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

There's only one Leg Ring, and Shannan's nowhere near as good a candidate for it as Seliph or your Dancer. Also his Resistance is terrible, so he's zoned out by enemy ststus staves in the lategame. Plus, if he wants to counter ranged enemies in the field, he has to use a magical sword, thus losing the Speed (and Avoid) boost from Balmung.

Shannan is still pretty a great unit, who won't need to counter weak enemies on a square that heals and gives avoid, that'd be a Hannibal job, his base stats are perfect for tanking  stuff like Wyverns and cavalry. He also comes with bows in addition to swords.

I forgot it if chapter 10 Julius drops his leg ring if you have the other one from Pizarl already?

It'd be really cool if the enemy ability to switch to whatever weapon they could counterattack with, when attacked, was turned into a skill like in Berwick Saga. Infact imagine if Hannibal and even Arden got access to it?

The game also gives Arden missions in chapters 2 and 5 for secret events outside of the castle - the former providing one of the most valuable equippables in the game. If the message is "keep Arden at the castle!", then the player will miss out on these.

Chapter 2 and 5 are hardly ever chapter, keep in mind, you also have a return ring and staff already at that point too, heck that makes it even more perfect for Arden to use. Even if you miss that, there's a replacement in Seliph's first chapter and a second in the chapter where you recruit Hannibal, meaning you'll have two.

We already talked about how the game could give hints for secret events. Defending castles is such an underunused mechanic, I wanna see it more.

PS: Anyone know of any FE4 hacks that use castle defending a fair amount?

Playing Genealogy after literally any other game, and finding out that Mage doesn't promote to Sage, is certainly a trip.

Father-dependent promotions could also be a thing. Like, if Ayra is paired with Azelle, then the Sword Twins could go War Mage instead. Or if Brigid is paired with Chulainn, then Febail could promote into a Sword/Bow hybrid class.

I thought Arthur would either become a sage or male Mage Fighter/WarMage, forgetting the latter couldn't use staves like their female counterparts. Its weird as Tailtu/Claude is one of the "default pairings" that the game encourages, but it results in the Valkyrie staff being unusable even though both of Tailtu's children are in magic classes.

Father dependent promotions would make sense. FE4 binary had Forrest as a Sword/Bow class, as well as a FE5 Merc, which was good for Scáthach/Skashe.

11 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

I forgot it if chapter 10 Julius drops his leg ring if you have the other one from Pizarl already?

I'm quite sure he doesn't.

On 4/5/2022 at 5:31 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

- Whatever happens to Lewyn. Apparently Manfroy kills him, but then Forseti resurrects him? Could be nice to actually see this.

Check it out!

EDIT: Oops I'm redundant as nearly always or always.

Edited by Original Johan Liebert

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/14/2022 at 7:56 AM, JungleGoutte01 said:

This what I imagine for a remake of Fire Emblem : Genealogy of the Holy War.

For the title i'd propose  Fire Emblem Echoes : The Holy War Saga.

First I would keep the size of the map but I would add some elements like secret dungeons or caves.

I would include an avatar but he (or she) would an apprentice to one of Sigurd's knights. I think it is the best way to include a time pulse like mechanic.

The avatar's Holy blood is Sothis Holy Blood, it allows the users to use time pulse.

It's already been said, but an avatar is a horrible idea for FE4. The story is already something very tightly knit around the existing cast. It is Sigurd's army. His charisma and prior relationships are what allow him to do what he does. His sense of duty to Adeen draws him into Verdane. His friendship with Quan brings the forces of Leonstar into the war. His friendship with Eldigan brings the drama to Augustria. His relationship with Ranna in Silesse as that of surrogate son makes that nation safe harbor for many members of his army as did his decision to protect Shannon that results in safe harbor for Seliph. The driving force behind the first half is Sigurd. The glory and the failures. I think any avatar character just serves to disrupt that. 

You run into similar issues with the second generation. There, you have an explicit advisor character in the form of Lewyn/Forseti. If the avatar survived the first generation, he threatens to overshadow Lewyn in that role. If he doesn't survive (which would cause anger all on its own) then he has to delve into the children aspect of the game.

So, let's unpack that can of worms. Assuming you have both a male and female option for the Avatar, you'll need to allow the woman to have children. Which makes her strictly better than the male avatar. Unless you allow him to have kids, too. So what happens if your male avatar marries an original female from the game. Let's say Arya, for example. Does Arya then have 4 kids now? New Kid 1 (Male), New Kid 2 (Female), Ulster, and Larcie? If that's the case then male avatar likely becomes better than the female avatar as he can effectively double what skills are passed down. This isn't even considering that what class his kids are. (Which I assume would be based around what class he was for at least one of the two, likely his male kid and the female kid for the female avatar.)

Then from a thematic/story point you have the Holy Blood dynamic. Does the avatar have Holy Blood? If so, where do you fit that into the world's history? The 13 crusaders if you make it a new type? If so, why isn't the avatar a noble or king? Every other descendant of the Divine crusaders created a kingdom or dukedom (as part of a larger kingdom). Was the avatar's dragon some secret 13th crusader lost to time? I suppose, but it's more than a little cliche and doesn't mesh with the very neat and tidy existing lore. The best you can say, as I think about this off the top of my head, is that perhaps his ancestors rule Verdane but at some point lost rulership, and it devolved into anarchy and tribalism...and that somehow Jugdral forgot he existed. I just don't think it works. (Also as a side note, the Holy Weapon and Holy Blood bonuses would have to change for every single class if this were the case. If Holy Blood 13th increases strength and health growths, it's neither suited for a mage character nor would the holy weapon Thirteenthfing the lance/sword/axe/bow be useful. And more so than a melee weapon, a tome would disrupt the tome effectiveness triangle. Especially if you could make it a wind tome. Christ, think about two Forseti's.)

So let's say you allow for him to have existing Holy Blood. That's just as big of an issue, if not more so. Instantly the Avatar goes from a nobody to a close blood relation of somebody important. No matter what is chosen. Major Fala? Arvis. Major Naga? That one blows the plot wide open. Julia and Seliph ceases to be the only heirs to the throne, Julia isn't the only one able to stop Julius, etc. Hell, you could imagine an absolutely comical scenario where the child of the Avatar has Major Baldur or Naga blood and instead of Seliph or Julia fighting Julius in a final climactic battle of gods and vengence...it's the OP avatar's kid who saves Jugdral. 

Edit: No Holy Blood is of course an option. And from a story perspective it is the most viable. Then you have to consider that most players would want to pair the avatar up for self-insertion purposes or merely so that their character "lives" on but from a gameplay perspective they are at a massive disadvantage with no stat growths from Holy Blood. So just give them great state growths on par with what Holy Blood has. Sure? I suppose that's workable but I think thematically it dilutes the immersion that comes from having Holy Blooded characters feels dramatically more powerful than their counterparts. Especially in conjunction with their Holy Weapons, I don't think any other FE game did as effective a job as making it's legendary weapons and divinely sired characters FEEL as earth shatteringly powerful as FE4 did. The mythic backstory to many FE games has a small group of heroes blessed with powers who turn the tide of ancient wars, etc, etc. FE6/7, FE8, FE1/3/11/12 (to a certain extent) but FE4 was the only one where I felt while playing that "yeah, if I had the 12 Crusaders I could take on armies." And I think it would be a shame to dilute that.

Edited by Cossack>Cavalier
I forgot to discuss a no Holy Blood option.

If there's ever a Genealogy remake I'd like to see some post game gaiden chapters. 

Things like:
-Ares, Delmud, Lene and some new characters retaking Augustria.
-A stage with baby Shanan and Oifey having to make it to Isaach.
-A skirmish between Blume, Ishtar and the other Freeges against Tracia

I have some ideas for à new version of the battle of Belhalla. In my vision of the remake, the battle will be playable. It will be  a survival battle. When Sigurd the last man standing, Arvis comes and a fight occurs. Sigurd will lose. In New Game + you have the option to play the battle on Arvis side. In this case your goal is to defeat Sigurd and his men.

Battle stats :

Boss: Arvis

35 units : (17 mages, 10 swordsmen and 8 knights)

Goal : Face your destiny.

Battle stats (Arvis side)

Boss Sigurd

Ennemy : Sigurd's men + 10 random soldiers.

Music : if we have a New music for this battle I imagine something like that. I know it's not a Fire Emblem music, but I think it is perfect for a last stand. The music En of Despair Can still be used in a cutscene (it was a cutscene ost in the original game)

Let me know what you think.