Three Hopes General Discussion Thread

16 minutes ago, ZanaLyrander said:

Sadly no, not that I know of. This is something I complained about, you can't use the training instructor on characters in the 'Other' category, which unfortunately will always include the three renown bonus character.

Colour me peeved -_- If they were going to do that then they should have at least made them available for main story missions so they have the opportunity to see more use.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I learned that there may be a place for the "lower tier" combat arts/magic.
-- Aside from on-demand invincibility window, they can be spammed to great effectiveness.
-- For example, Fire (with Essence of Fire, or having Edelgard's personal), shoots off three fireballs that does lots of crowd clearing. It also does a fair amount of damage, and during NG+ playthroughs, Durability is less of an issue due to having higher forged weapons. // Having Edelgard with the Relentless Magic Tome (50% cooldown of Magic), I can just sit back and spam Fire spells all day instead of doing the usual combos or specials.

Also as a random tip, don't use the Essence of Element abilities with the Main Lords. Their personal skill already does that, so you don't need Essence of Lightning to enhance Dimitri's Lightning attacks, for example.

EDIT: I forgot to ask, I have a question regarding special support conversations.

Spoiler

Regarding Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude's supports with each other, is there any way to trigger them through the Support Conversation system in-game?

I know its just a repeat of their dialogue in the Secret Chapter, and you can view them separately in the Support Conversation section from the Title Menu.
-- What I'm asking is if there's a way to trigger the convo from the support menu during a normal playthrough.

Edited by Sire

3 minutes ago, Sire said:

Today I learned that there may be a place for the "lower tier" combat arts/magic.
-- Aside from on-demand invincibility window, they can be spammed to great effectiveness.
-- For example, Fire (with Essence of Fire, or having Edelgard's personal), shoots off three fireballs that does lots of crowd clearing. It also does a fair amount of damage, and during NG+ playthroughs, Durability is less of an issue due to having higher forged weapons. // Having Edelgard with the Relentless Magic Tome (50% cooldown of Magic), I can just sit back and spam Fire spells all day instead of doing the usual combos or specials.

Also as a random tip, don't use the Essence of Element abilities with the Main Lords. Their personal skill already does that, so you don't need Essence of Lightning to enhance Dimitri's Lightning attacks, for example.

Another good use for Small Combat Arts is applying elemental debuffs for things like Monica's personal, Aggression, etc. It seems like you generally want to have a Large/Medium CA/Spell to nuke enemies and a Small one for quick applications. If anything, I'm debating what is more useful to have, a Medium or Large CA/Spell.

And yeah, the lords have what is essentially Essence of X + Fiendish Blow combined into their personal skills, from what I've seen.

The small combat arts can be effective, I'm especially fond of Blizzard for that quick, spammable damage and freeze. But generally, my strategy with spells is one spell that gathers enemies up and juggles them for a bit, like Luna, Excalibur, or Bolganonne, and one 'finisher' that does tons of damage like Hades or Agnea's Arrow. Used in conjunction, they basically clear an entire area, commanders and all.

I like one quick, spammable CA, with one medium or large skill with an effect. Obviously I like relic or lord-exclusive combat arts where applicable since they provide unique gameplay, but for most characters, the second skill will be something with utility like Dark Spikes, War Strike, Drill Arrow, elemental strikes (especially those matching Essence of Element), etc.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

I'm surprised to see that Judith still has the lord class. Is there a way to get that on your lords? Would have been nice if it had been an intermediate class and Armored Lord/Wyvern Master/High Lord were bumped up to Advance, so there was a personalized class for the lords at each level beyond Begnner, like in Three Houses. Feels weird and wasteful to make a unique class like that and give it to Judith of all people (even if it probably isn't unique at all and is just Mercenary or something). Oh well, more reason to want a Judith prequel.

@Burklight Thanks for the response.

@Sire

6 hours ago, Sire said:

For example, Fire (with Essence of Fire, or having Edelgard's personal), shoots off three fireballs that does lots of crowd clearing. It also does a fair amount of damage, and during NG+ playthroughs, Durability is less of an issue due to having higher forged weapons. // Having Edelgard with the Relentless Magic Tome (50% cooldown of Magic), I can just sit back and spam Fire spells all day instead of doing the usual combos or specials.

I just spent my Friday night grinding for her Essence of Fire skill lol, I thought it would help Maddenning mode a little. Luckily it won't be for naught since she has a innate ability in Gremory class, and almost all my mages are in transitioning to other class or underleveled (Why does leveling takes so much gold and yet mission capped it at 9999).

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

I'm surprised to see that Judith still has the lord class. Is there a way to get that on your lords? Would have been nice if it had been an intermediate class and Armored Lord/Wyvern Master/High Lord were bumped up to Advance, so there was a personalized class for the lords at each level beyond Begnner, like in Three Houses. Feels weird and wasteful to make a unique class like that and give it to Judith of all people (even if it probably isn't unique at all and is just Mercenary or something). Oh well, more reason to want a Judith prequel.

This is my personaly pet peeve with Claude's route. They make a whole new character (Hilda's brother) and not bother to make Judith playable when she is present in camp and stories most of the times. She was even in Claude's paralogue which is a 2-unit only map. I played plenty of musou games and I seldom see them have so many unique models without making them playable one way or the other, Orochi warriors let you play as generic mook #1 and #2 and gave them personalities and backstories.

23 minutes ago, MagicCanonBalls said:

@Burklight Thanks for the response.

@Sire

I just spent my Friday night grinding for her Essence of Fire skill lol, I thought it would help Maddenning mode a little. Luckily it won't be for naught since she has a innate ability in Gremory class, and almost all my mages are in transitioning to other class or underleveled (Why does leveling takes so much gold and yet mission capped it at 9999).

This is my personaly pet peeve with Claude's route. They make a whole new character (Hilda's brother) and not bother to make Judith playable when she is present in camp and stories most of the times. She was even in Claude's paralogue which is a 2-unit only map. I played plenty of musou games and I seldom see them have so many unique models without making them playable one way or the other, Orochi warriors let you play as generic mook #1 and #2 and gave them personalities and backstories.

Yeah, I'm not sure why they don't just make the likes of Count Glosteir and basically everyone playable. It's not like it's difficult to make a new unit once you have all the classes. They've basically already done it by putting them on the map.

Edited by Jotari

I don't like to make "My thoughts on..." threads, so I'll just say what I feel about the game here.

Spoiler

Well, to cut to the chase, it's my least-favorite Nintendo Warriors game.

My problems with it go all the way back to before launch. The first trailer got me really excited, but the second trailer made my enthusiasm plummet. I don't want to go into why, but there was really nothing the game could do to satisfy this issue of mine, so that was always looming overhead. To be honest, this made me consider not even getting the game, but in the end my desire to (hopefully) play a Fodlan game with gameplay that might actually be fun won out.

Three Hopes streamlines some mechanics from Three Houses, which is nice, but it unfortunately also keeps a lot of its problems. No other Warriors game I've played has had so much downtime between battles as this one, and it gets exhausting. Managing weapons, skills, battalions, arts, support pairs, and whatever else is a chore. Thankfully the game doesn't spam you with as many support conversations as Three Houses, though. And I might as well just say "fuck gender-locked classes" since it's appropriate to this paragraph. The story-telling is also just as constrained and really no better as a result.

And then...well, let's talk a little bit about Fire Emblem Warriors and Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity.

FEW's biggest problem was the lack of diversity in its movesets. Sure, it had plenty of technically unique movesets, but it could never be as creative as a game like Hyrule Warriors because it's constrained to using "normal" weapons; you'll never get a moveset like Agitha's Parasol or Yuga's Picture Frame in FEW, and you can feel the effect of it.

Hyrule Warriors: AoC, on the other hand, is where Nintendo Warriors jumped to a new style of gameplay (as I've heard, Persona 5 Strikers may have started this style, but that's not relevant here). It may not have been noticeable to people who only played casually, but something was lost in the transition. I'm not entirely sure what to call it, but in Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors, the combat felt more strategic; each attack felt like it had a specific purpose, and you would choose your attack based on the situation you were in. AoC lacked that, at least as far as I could tell; I felt like I could use any attack in many situations and get the same result. (there were a few exceptions to this, though)

FEW Three Hopes is the worst of both worlds here. It lacks both the unique feel of Hyrule Warrior's movesets and the strategic feel of HW1/FEW1 gameplay. As a result it actually feels like the spammy button-mash fest that Warriors games are often criticized for, despite how many mechanics it dumps on you. Almost everything I do feels the same as anything else.

A month ago, in one week's time I got three new games (well, one was a visual novel). Three Hopes had the least priority of the three...and it never challenged that. The VN came first and I was able to get through it pretty fast, and then I got Elden Ring. At first I was playing Elden Ring and Three Hopes side-by-side, but eventually the latter just fell to the wayside and I went over a week without playing it. To be fair, part of that is because Elden Ring is pretty amazing, but even after I beat Elden Ring I didn't feel much motivation to continue Three Hopes and didn't boot it up again for another couple days. It's such a shame. Hard mode, while not really "hard" per se, made the enemies feel like damage sponges and wasn't much fun as a result, but normal mode is just too easy to be much fun.

I haven't actually finished a run yet, but I'm nearing the end (I think) of Scarlet Blaze. I might check out Golden Wildfire, but I doubt I'll ever play Azure Gleam since Mercedes is the only Lion I really care much about.

And to top it all off, Byleth > Shez and I will never change on that.

Looks like Fodlan just isn't the FE continent for me.

Okay, I just have to share this because it made me laugh. I just found a Scholar's Tome with Invert Physical/Magic and Invert Offense/Defense, which took me a few minutes to even wrap my head around. So it deals magic damage with your Defense stat, deals physical damage with your Resistance stat, resists physical damage with your Magic stat, and resists magic damage with your Strength stat. This is undoubtedly a terrible weapon, but the sheer absurdity of it is kinda hilarious.

39 minutes ago, ZanaLyrander said:

I have no idea honestly. I've always considered Invert Physical/Magic to be a waste of a weapon attribute slot and never really experimented with it.

I suppose it'd be good if you want to just toss a unit you haven't trained in magic into a magic class for dealing with beasts or something (is there any tomes only restriction map in the game? Overall I find the magic classes attack to slowly to really be that great). Would undoubtedly be better if things like Mortal Savant could use tomes...coming to think of it, isn't it kind of weird this game even has tomes? They aren't a part of the setting in Three Houses.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

I suppose it'd be good if you want to just toss a unit you haven't trained in magic into a magic class for dealing with beasts or something (is there any tomes only restriction map in the game? Overall I find the magic classes attack to slowly to really be that great). Would undoubtedly be better if things like Mortal Savant could use tomes...coming to think of it, isn't it kind of weird this game even has tomes? They aren't a part of the setting in Three Houses.

It was kinda a necessary workaround for the game's mechanics to work. Weapon strength is one of the most important factors in this game for determining your overall strength, and in Three Houses, units like the Gremory generally don't use or need weapons at all.

2 minutes ago, ZanaLyrander said:

It was kinda a necessary workaround for the game's mechanics to work. Weapon strength is one of the most important factors in this game for determining your overall strength, and in Three Houses, units like the Gremory generally don't use or need weapons at all.

Yeah, I can understand why they exist, it's just a bit weird for it to go from no tomes to tomes in the same setting, the same conflict even! They even made a new legendary Tome.

As far as work around, they could may have done something. Staves seem the most obvious work around considering Thyrsus and the like already exist. But it is understandable that they stuck to the standard Fire Emblem set up.

On 7/5/2022 at 8:39 AM, Use the Falchion said:

I feel the exact opposite amusingly enough. Taking down the church for reasons that aren't entirely the church's fault based on faulty and incomplete information makes me feel icky, personally. And it's particularly grating since the one route you can't recruit Hilda is the one route you go against the church. So why change it here? (I'm sure that question is answered, but it's one that bugs me for existing.) Still, to each their own, and I don't fault others for feeling the way they do. 

Hilda doesn't actually like Dimitri in Azure Moon nor is she a big Church defender, she only comes with because of Byleth and she says as much. She doesn't go with Edelgard because Hilda has a bigger distaste of Edelgard than her like for Byleth, simple as that. 

Also in Hopes, there is no Byleth-equivalent to lead her away from the Church and her strongest relationship in the game is with Claude to the point that she's his his implied love interest in Hopes and as a result would never betray him.

On 7/22/2022 at 10:59 PM, LoneRecon400 said:

How were any of those characters that were listed justified in their actions?  They were all confirmed to be manipulated by the Agarthans for their own uses, and they all decided that the best course of action was to put Rhea's head on a pike / steal crest stones for the power to do that. That is not a justifiable position. The church may cause problems, but none of the actions any of those characters took would have fixed any of the problems in Fodlan.

What Diplomacy could Rhea even engage in with Lonato to make him stop his rebellion?  The man isn't even fighting for a cause, he's just lashing out in vengeance for Christophe. What exactly do you think she could've have said to stop a man driven and blinded by his own grief?  

Yes, everyone who opposes Rhea are just idiots manipulated by a shadowy cabal, just like everyone who opposed Stalin were traitorous Trotskyites. *eyeroll* You're just quoting authoritarian playbooks here. Never mind that Edelgard all but talks to the camera about what her goals are and how they require the Church be removed from its position of authority, as does Hubert in Hopes, and Claude (more cagily) talks about his goals and how it'd be better for them if Rhea were not around.

These characters do canoically fix problems in Fodlan. Actually pretty much every ending implies conditions have improved from the starting point of the game (which is admittedly not hard), and the common denominator is that Rhea has been removed from power.

For your last paragraph, well, just listen to yourself. You're being immensely hypocritical.

Lonato/Edelgard/Claude didn't try diplomacy, even though they have a good reason not to, but you seem to think the onus is on them to do so. But when Rhea does not try diplomacy against Lonato, you are immediately jumping to excuse her with "what could she have done?" She's the one in a position of privelege, so she has less to risk by trying. She isn't interested in trying because she'd rather make an example of Lonato and she tells you this explicitly.

As for what Rhea could have done to make him stop? I'd suggest publically confessing that she had had his son wrongfully executed for a crime he did not commit and officially exonerating him would go a long way towards placating the man. Of course, this is out of the question for her, because if she does this, she would probably be expected to resign.

On 7/25/2022 at 10:01 PM, Archeleon said:

Invert Physical/Magic works just like Witstrike? Or does it still target the defensive stat that the weapon normally does?

No it doesn't work like Witstrike. It switches the stat of your str and mag, witstrike is calculating all attack as magic which will target enemy's res. A lance with inverted phy/mag will still target enemy's def but use your Lindhart's Mag stat as it's Str stat.

Inverted Tome won't work with Luna because tome target Res as always, it's your Lindhart's own Strength and Magic number got inverted, Inverted Physical Weapons will work with Luna I think. Haven't test it out yet because 3 of my Black Eagles are already on Great Knight path...for Luna.

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Lonato/Edelgard/Claude didn't try diplomacy, even though they have a good reason not to, but you seem to think the onus is on them to do so. But when Rhea does not try diplomacy against Lonato, you are immediately jumping to excuse her with "what could she have done?" She's the one in a position of privilege, so she has less to risk by trying. She isn't interested in trying because she'd rather make an example of Lonato and she tells you this explicitly.

As for what Rhea could have done to make him stop? I'd suggest publically confessing that she had had his son wrongfully executed for a crime he did not commit and officially exonerating him would go a long way towards placating the man. Of course, this is out of the question for her, because if she does this, she would probably be expected to resign.

I never claimed once that Chirstophe, Lonato, or the Westren Church should use diplomacy, because there is no middle ground of wanting someone dead and and the person in question wanting to stay alive alive. 

I also don't think you are really thinking though what it would mean to expose Christophe deeds. The man was pushed to action by the Western Church to murder the head of religion. If that came out, that would spark some major tensions between the two sects by the general public. Considering how Duscar went, it makes sense to keep that information tight lipped.  

And do you really think that telling the truth would really placate Lonato? Regardless of the reason, Rhea directly order the death of his son. When you assemble an army that you know has no chance of victory against your foe, I very much doubt that person is in a rational mindset.

You seem insistent on jumping the gun with assumptions. I never said anything about Edelgard or the church's positions, nor do I believe that Fodlan's situation could've been prevented just by talking it out. I just believe that it would have been a stronger narrative if they had Rhea gave out a clear position on crest reform rather than go all in on war without discussing it even once.

Edited by LoneRecon400

3 hours ago, MagicCanonBalls said:

No it doesn't work like Witstrike. It switches the stat of your str and mag, witstrike is calculating all attack as magic which will target enemy's res. A lance with inverted phy/mag will still target enemy's def but use your Lindhart's Mag stat as it's Str stat.

Inverted Tome won't work with Luna because tome target Res as always, it's your Lindhart's own Strength and Magic number got inverted, Inverted Physical Weapons will work with Luna I think. Haven't test it out yet because 3 of my Black Eagles are already on Great Knight path...for Luna.

What I had in mind was an inverted Lance (most likely, if it is a thing).

On 7/25/2022 at 5:36 AM, Florete said:

I don't like to make "My thoughts on..." threads, so I'll just say what I feel about the game here.

Hide contents

Well, to cut to the chase, it's my least-favorite Nintendo Warriors game.

My problems with it go all the way back to before launch. The first trailer got me really excited, but the second trailer made my enthusiasm plummet. I don't want to go into why, but there was really nothing the game could do to satisfy this issue of mine, so that was always looming overhead. To be honest, this made me consider not even getting the game, but in the end my desire to (hopefully) play a Fodlan game with gameplay that might actually be fun won out.

Three Hopes streamlines some mechanics from Three Houses, which is nice, but it unfortunately also keeps a lot of its problems. No other Warriors game I've played has had so much downtime between battles as this one, and it gets exhausting. Managing weapons, skills, battalions, arts, support pairs, and whatever else is a chore. Thankfully the game doesn't spam you with as many support conversations as Three Houses, though. And I might as well just say "fuck gender-locked classes" since it's appropriate to this paragraph. The story-telling is also just as constrained and really no better as a result.

And then...well, let's talk a little bit about Fire Emblem Warriors and Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity.

FEW's biggest problem was the lack of diversity in its movesets. Sure, it had plenty of technically unique movesets, but it could never be as creative as a game like Hyrule Warriors because it's constrained to using "normal" weapons; you'll never get a moveset like Agitha's Parasol or Yuga's Picture Frame in FEW, and you can feel the effect of it.

Hyrule Warriors: AoC, on the other hand, is where Nintendo Warriors jumped to a new style of gameplay (as I've heard, Persona 5 Strikers may have started this style, but that's not relevant here). It may not have been noticeable to people who only played casually, but something was lost in the transition. I'm not entirely sure what to call it, but in Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors, the combat felt more strategic; each attack felt like it had a specific purpose, and you would choose your attack based on the situation you were in. AoC lacked that, at least as far as I could tell; I felt like I could use any attack in many situations and get the same result. (there were a few exceptions to this, though)

FEW Three Hopes is the worst of both worlds here. It lacks both the unique feel of Hyrule Warrior's movesets and the strategic feel of HW1/FEW1 gameplay. As a result it actually feels like the spammy button-mash fest that Warriors games are often criticized for, despite how many mechanics it dumps on you. Almost everything I do feels the same as anything else.

A month ago, in one week's time I got three new games (well, one was a visual novel). Three Hopes had the least priority of the three...and it never challenged that. The VN came first and I was able to get through it pretty fast, and then I got Elden Ring. At first I was playing Elden Ring and Three Hopes side-by-side, but eventually the latter just fell to the wayside and I went over a week without playing it. To be fair, part of that is because Elden Ring is pretty amazing, but even after I beat Elden Ring I didn't feel much motivation to continue Three Hopes and didn't boot it up again for another couple days. It's such a shame. Hard mode, while not really "hard" per se, made the enemies feel like damage sponges and wasn't much fun as a result, but normal mode is just too easy to be much fun.

I haven't actually finished a run yet, but I'm nearing the end (I think) of Scarlet Blaze. I might check out Golden Wildfire, but I doubt I'll ever play Azure Gleam since Mercedes is the only Lion I really care much about.

And to top it all off, Byleth > Shez and I will never change on that.

Looks like Fodlan just isn't the FE continent for me.

Regarding the paragraph i bolded: YES! I know exactly what you mean. My play thru is currently sitting at a little over 200+ hours and only 80 hours (and that is being generous) of that has been in-battle. I averaged out my times to 10 minutes per battle times 480 battles and then adjusted it due to pausing. This game brought back the WORST part of 3 Houses. Way too much timee spent out of battle and micro-managing characters and etc. It is incredibly exhausting having to run all over the camp, talk to people, and interact with the various facilities with a janky @$$ camera having to be all close to people in their personal space just to get the cursor over their head so i can talk to them (like for real, you have to get within arm's reach... no wait, elbow's reach just to talk to them). Plus they decided to crowbar the ugliest largest map in the top right corner of the screen with no way of reducing it or getting rid of it. F**k the creators and designers who thought that was a good idea (or that running around a camp was a good idea). I miss Awakening, the Tellius series, and the gba FEs where everything was handled from a clean simple small menu. Fates is what kicked off this crap with "My Castle". If it wasn't for the fact that i don't have many other jrpgs queued I also would have dropped this. I got a feeling i won't be playing it past August so i'll look for something else to hold me over till Nov for Pokemon.

In reference to the part underlined: I can tell what you are trying to say. Back on Hyrule Warriors, each move had a purpose. You had a strong to summon the weak point gauge, a strong atttack to deplete it, a strong for crowd clearing, and the other 3 or so were more or less for specfic situations. FEW1 had the same format for the most part but i do find the attacks in this game FEWH to be lacking that structure. We can really summon the stun gauge on command with a combo and not all classes have a good crowd clearing move. I get X3 is for depleting it and X4 is for crowd clearing but each class has different success with those. X2, and X5-7 are all pretty useless on this game and i'm not using that very much at all. Except a few classes have a good damage dealing X5 that is quick. If anything i think what draws me to this game is more or less the aesthetics. Next time, i'm going to exercise some patience and wait about a month or so after a new FE game drops and look at videos of it before buying. I'm having buyer's remose on this one but at the same time i can't turn  it in so i'm just sorta going thru it. I got a few other reasons though...

2 hours ago, Tediz64 said:

Regarding the paragraph i bolded: YES! I know exactly what you mean. My play thru is currently sitting at a little over 200+ hours and only 80 hours (and that is being generous) of that has been in-battle. I averaged out my times to 10 minutes per battle times 480 battles and then adjusted it due to pausing. This game brought back the WORST part of 3 Houses. Way too much timee spent out of battle and micro-managing characters and etc. It is incredibly exhausting having to run all over the camp, talk to people, and interact with the various facilities with a janky @$$ camera having to be all close to people in their personal space just to get the cursor over their head so i can talk to them (like for real, you have to get within arm's reach... no wait, elbow's reach just to talk to them). Plus they decided to crowbar the ugliest largest map in the top right corner of the screen with no way of reducing it or getting rid of it. F**k the creators and designers who thought that was a good idea (or that running around a camp was a good idea). I miss Awakening, the Tellius series, and the gba FEs where everything was handled from a clean simple small menu. Fates is what kicked off this crap with "My Castle". If it wasn't for the fact that i don't have many other jrpgs queued I also would have dropped this. I got a feeling i won't be playing it past August so i'll look for something else to hold me over till Nov for Pokemon.

In reference to the part underlined: I can tell what you are trying to say. Back on Hyrule Warriors, each move had a purpose. You had a strong to summon the weak point gauge, a strong atttack to deplete it, a strong for crowd clearing, and the other 3 or so were more or less for specfic situations. FEW1 had the same format for the most part but i do find the attacks in this game FEWH to be lacking that structure. We can really summon the stun gauge on command with a combo and not all classes have a good crowd clearing move. I get X3 is for depleting it and X4 is for crowd clearing but each class has different success with those. X2, and X5-7 are all pretty useless on this game and i'm not using that very much at all. Except a few classes have a good damage dealing X5 that is quick. If anything i think what draws me to this game is more or less the aesthetics. Next time, i'm going to exercise some patience and wait about a month or so after a new FE game drops and look at videos of it before buying. I'm having buyer's remose on this one but at the same time i can't turn  it in so i'm just sorta going thru it. I got a few other reasons though...

Worst part of Three Houses, but the best part of this game imo. The actual combat is pretty mindless.