Worst person you can recruit?

2 hours ago, jameslove001 said:

I think we are overlooking a very obvious candidate here - Ilyana. Literally she's like "Oh. Give me that cookie and I will kill a person."

Relatable.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

In Three Hopes Byleth (and Jearlt) kills people for money. S/he doesn't even give a fuck about whose right or wrong about the conflict.

Isn’t that basically anyone who’s a mercenary, though?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Archenea:

-Michalis obviously comes to mind. He wasn't brainwashed when he murdered his father, tortured his siblings and tried(poorly) to take over the world. He was just really, really evil. 
-I suppose Hardin counts to some extend. While not fully accountable for his actions the Dark Sphere drew on feelings that were already there. 
-Camus despite his noble status isn't all that moral. After all he willingly served both an evil dragon out to destroy the nation he claimed to love, and a king who sold off his own kids. 

Valentia:
-Sonya and Deen are the obvious picks. Whatever their reasons they served a bandit king who pillaged his way across Sofia and who openly gloat about only having the worst intentions to any woman they come across. 
-There's also Clive. Dishonest and hugely classicist. 

Elibe:
-Nimme's not a very good person 
-Jaffar redeems himself but he's got a lot of blood on his hands.

Magvel: No one really comes to mind. Maybe Cold and Renac due to being kinda sleezy. 

Tellius: 
-Makalov. Obviously. 
-Shinon. Obviously. A racist, extremely petty drunk.
-Oliver's kind of a curious case because while he's completely reprehensible in POR he mostly dropped those traits when you actually recruit him.
-Soren, especially in POR has a lot of moments where he's a complete prick. If it was up to him thea Greil mercenaries would have surrounded to Daein first chance he got. 
-Naesalla? Kinda. The blood pact shed some nuance on his actions, but a lot of his bad action also seem to stem from ambition and greed. 

Ylisse:
-The recruitable villains are the obvious candidates. Aside from them the loony Plegian Dark Mages too. 

Fateslandia
-Peri. Obviously. 
-Xander for letting Peri be Peri under his watch. 
-Kiragi might be less noticeable because he's a happy young boy but he's not unlike Henry or Peri. He's disturbingly cheerful about killing people, and downright psychotic around animals. 

Fodlan
-Sylvain easily wins that prize considering he deliberately sets out to hurt people just for kicks 
-Edelgard is well intentioned but also about as ruthless as a playable unit can get. 

5 hours ago, CyberController said:

Relatable.

Isn’t that basically anyone who’s a mercenary, though?

Well yes and no. Mercenaries can turn down jobs if they don't like the sound of it. Like I doubt Ike would have fought for Begnion or Daein just because they paid well.

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Archenea:

-Michalis obviously comes to mind. He wasn't brainwashed when he murdered his father, tortured his siblings and tried(poorly) to take over the world. He was just really, really evil.

I completely forgot about Michalis. It's definitely him, as far as Archenea goes.

Binding Blade

-Garret. He made a living as a bandit, pillaging villages. By the time he joins you he wants to turn his life around but still, he has a very dark past.

-Gonzales but to a lesser extent. I know he has a good heart and doesn’t want to hurt people. He’s just misled by evil people and feels like he has no choice because people treat him like a monster. That’s why he needs someone like Lilina to convince him to join you. Still, he goes through with destroying the village in his joining chapter of you don’t stop him.

-Geese. Not sure what he’s done, but I mean, he’s a Pirate right? Pirates are usually pretty bad.

Blazing Sword

-Geitz. Same as Geese. Isn’t he a pirate?

-Guy. So here’s the thing about Guy. He only joins you because he is indebted to Matthew for saving his life in the past and feels obligated to pay back that debt. This does display a code of honor. However, the thing is, he doesn’t actually want to join you. He only does out of obligation. He wants to stay with the bandits that are killing innocents. He also seems willing to kill anyone they tell him to.

-Vaida. Maybe I’m misremembering, but isn’t she literally trying to join the Black Fang under Sonia and Nergal. And isn’t she pretty enthusiastic about killing your team when she gets a power boost from Nergal? She seems like she wants to be a bad guy. And then they kick her out because she failed, she doesn’t leave because she has a change of heart.

I think I will just add some names that feel missing from those mentioned, but who probably wont make the top billing.

FE1/3/11/12: Castor, he is a conman, albeit a bad one.

FE4: Asaello, an obscure one I know, but you don't get a nickname like the hitman of Conote by being a nice guy, even if he does have a soft spot for children.

FE5: Pahn... sure he is less murderous than the other thief, but he is also very clearly attracted to underage girls...

FE6: Garret, the guy is a bandit, even if other bandits think he is soft for suggesting they try to reduce the amount of murder they do with their pillaging.

FE8: People seem to have forgot the traitor Orson was controllable in chapter 5x, as he is clearly the worst character we control in that game.

FE10: Another one I assume people have forgotten about, but THE BLACK KNIGHT....

FE16: I feel like Rhea deserves a spot, for enslaving humanity with a religion built on lies. Using her false religion to murder and persecute "heretical" religious order, and encouraging religious violence only worsens her crimes.

6 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

FE6: Garret, the guy is a bandit, even if other bandits think he is soft for suggesting they try to reduce the amount of murder they do with their pillaging.

Yeah, notice that he suggests reducing it and not stopping it.

6 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

FE8: People seem to have forgot the traitor Orson was controllable in chapter 5x, as he is clearly the worst character we control in that game.

FE10: Another one I assume people have forgotten about, but THE BLACK KNIGHT....

True. Very strong contenders actually.

7 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

FE16: I feel like Rhea deserves a spot, for enslaving humanity with a religion built on lies. Using her false religion to murder and persecute "heretical" religious order, and encouraging religious violence only worsens her crimes.

Rhea isn’t recruitable though.

7 minutes ago, Whisky said:

Rhea isn’t recruitable though.

Yeah sorry about that, I think I was thrown of by remembering her S-support (and the ending she gets, like she is a playable unit), but I guess you can do that with the NPC Sothis too. Honestly, she should have been playable on Silver Snow...

Sigh, perhaps I should replay that game...eventually.

Edited by Eltosian Kadath
added a small detail or two.

2 hours ago, Whisky said:

-Gonzales but to a lesser extent. I know he has a good heart and doesn’t want to hurt people. He’s just misled by evil people and feels like he has no choice because people treat him like a monster. That’s why he needs someone like Lilina to convince him to join you. Still, he goes through with destroying the village in his joining chapter of you don’t stop him.

I'm somewhat sure you can even have him destroy villages even after joining!

13 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Archenea:

-I suppose Hardin counts to some extend. While not fully accountable for his actions the Dark Sphere drew on feelings that were already there. 
-Camus despite his noble status isn't all that moral. After all he willingly served both an evil dragon out to destroy the nation he claimed to love, and a king who sold off his own kids. 

Eh, FE12 Hardin isn't recruitable, and FE11 Hardin isn't evil.  Camus at least isn't any worse than any of the many other recruitable characters temporarily working for the bad team, even some really weird ones (why is Wendell an enemy?!).

That said, Michalis is a very good pick.  FE11's script is so short it's hard to know too much detail, but from what little we learn, he murdered his dad for no better reason than wanting to start his conquest early, had questionable choice of allies, and definitely isn't mind-controlled.  This is the worst kind of slime - not merely doing a direct murder, but getting a bunch of his countrymen killed out of vanity / megalomania.  FE12 deciding that Actually He Lived Somehow and letting him join team good guy is definitely a bit...  yeah.  Whoever wrote FE12 admired his ambition and thought it was a good thing, though, because his ending says that maybe he lived happily ever after by his standards, which is going off to conquer another continent.  Yes, really.  Definitely a case where somebody got a little too hyped for their super-cool villain character.

13 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

-There's also Clive. Dishonest and hugely classicist. 

Ah, Clive's into the ancient Valentian classics?  That seems cool, actually, can ask him to translate Latin-equivalent poetry and the like.

6 hours ago, CyberController said:

No mention of Soleil?

Blame it on the game she is in. If she were in some milquetoast game like Binding Blade, she would be a top contender, but in Fates she barely causes a blip on the evilometer, when she is standing next to people like Peri the illogically tolerated serial killer, or Xander the truth illusionist sister stabber. Honestly I would have to list about a quarter of the Conquest's playable cast before getting to her on the list.

2 hours ago, SnowFire said:

Eh, FE12 Hardin isn't recruitable, and FE11 Hardin isn't evil.  Camus at least isn't any worse than any of the many other recruitable characters temporarily working for the bad team, even some really weird ones (why is Wendell an enemy?!).

That's...somehow something I have never wondered. I guess the same reason Tiki is an enemy in Mystery, because they hadn't discovered the colour green yet. Though his country is fighting with the bad guys at least. So while he might not have supported them, merely being a mage gave him exclusive ability to just waltz around with the enemy soldiers.

2 hours ago, SnowFire said:

That said, Michalis is a very good pick.  FE11's script is so short it's hard to know too much detail, but from what little we learn, he murdered his dad for no better reason than wanting to start his conquest early, had questionable choice of allies, and definitely isn't mind-controlled.  This is the worst kind of slime - not merely doing a direct murder, but getting a bunch of his countrymen killed out of vanity / megalomania.  FE12 deciding that Actually He Lived Somehow and letting him join team good guy is definitely a bit...  yeah.  Whoever wrote FE12 admired his ambition and thought it was a good thing, though, because his ending says that maybe he lived happily ever after by his standards, which is going off to conquer another continent.  Yes, really.  Definitely a case where somebody got a little too hyped for their super-cool villain character.

Ah, Clive's into the ancient Valentian classics?  That seems cool, actually, can ask him to translate Latin-equivalent poetry and the like.

Well he kind of joined team good guy a lil under two decades before being recruitable. As in Old Mystery he just dies, probably meant as some kind of redemption. Mystery in general had a ridiculous hardon when it came to resurrecting villains in general.

11 hours ago, Jotari said:

That's...somehow something I have never wondered. I guess the same reason Tiki is an enemy in Mystery, because they hadn't discovered the colour green yet. Though his country is fighting with the bad guys at least. So while he might not have supported them, merely being a mage gave him exclusive ability to just waltz around with the enemy soldiers.

For its worth, Mystery of the Emblem put him in Rickard's cell... despite both still being Red. But yeah, they had yet to make use of third factions on maps.

Heck, even in the original game the likes of Maria and Xane were Red units despite being in cells and clearly not meant to be on the enemy's side.

11 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well he kind of joined team good guy a lil under two decades before being recruitable. As in Old Mystery he just dies, probably meant as some kind of redemption. Mystery in general had a ridiculous hardon when it came to resurrecting villains in general.

Honestly, intentions aside, it was a bit dumb to have him die of his wounds. It'd only work if he felt suicidal and thus refused to have his wounds treated as he waited for Marth to show up. Since even if he himself had no means... he's in a village full of people where the odds no one had something to help him are astonishingly low. Or they left him to die. But, considering how he regrets not being able to save Maria, I doubt he'd choose to die without seeing to her rescue first. Which makes more sense for Minerva to be like "Heal up and go save her yourself!", even if it's still not something he himself decides without prodding. Or that they didn't add the option for him to actually save Maria anyway.

On 7/26/2022 at 10:20 AM, Jotari said:

"Somehow, Medeus returned."

On 7/26/2022 at 10:20 AM, Jotari said:

Also explains why, in Shadow Dragon, Hardin's squad and the Chapter 12 Prison Pals all start as playable. Even though they're not part of Marth's army when the chapter begins. In any game with green units, they'd probably be green units.

On 7/26/2022 at 7:58 AM, SnowFire said:

How do you think he won Mathilda's heart?

On 7/25/2022 at 10:48 PM, Whisky said:

Yeah, notice that he suggests reducing it and not stopping it.

Taliver bandit: "Let's loot all the villages and kill all the villagers!"

Priest of St. Elimine: "WTF no, you shouldn't do any of that."

Enlightened Garrett: "Hm... let's loot half the villages, and wound all the villagers."

On 7/25/2022 at 10:22 PM, Whisky said:

Vaida. Maybe I’m misremembering, but isn’t she literally trying to join the Black Fang under Sonia and Nergal. And isn’t she pretty enthusiastic about killing your team when she gets a power boost from Nergal? She seems like she wants to be a bad guy. And then they kick her out because she failed, she doesn’t leave because she has a change of heart.

I believe she only ever acts on behalf of King Desmond and Prince Zephiel. She works with the Fang, but they don't have her loyalty. Pretty sure she shows up in "Cog of Destiny" intent on repaying the Lycian Lords for saving Zephiel.

• 1 month later...

My top 10 :

- 10) Shinon (Path of Radiance)
- 9) Jaffar (Blazing Blade)
- 😎 Pellas (Radiant Dawn)
- 7) Karla (Blazing Blade)
- 6) Douglas (Binding Blade)
- 5) Ymir (Shadow Dragon)
- 4) Nasir (Path of Radiance)
- 3) Sephiran (Radiant Dawn)
- 2) Stefan (Path of Radiance)
- 1) Xavier (Thracia 776)

Dishonorables mention :

- Rennac (Sacred Stones)
- Stefan (Radiant Dawn)
- Aversa (Awakening)
- Izana (Fates : Conquest)
- Delthea (Echoes : Shadow of Valentia)
- Mycen (Echoes : Shadow of Valentia)
- Caspar (Three Houses : Azure Moon and Verdant Wind)
- Hilda (Three Houses : Silver Snow)
- Cyril (Three Houses : Silver Snow)

Edited by drattakbowser

5 hours ago, drattakbowser said:

- 7) Karla (Blazing Blade)

Did you mean Karel, her brother? Because I don't see how Karla is a bad person, at all.

5 hours ago, drattakbowser said:

- 2) Stefan (Path of Radiance)

What does Stefan do that is wrong? His biggest crime is having an obscure recruitment method.

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

What does Stefan do that is wrong? His biggest crime is having an obscure recruitment method.

Yeah same. I disagree with a few of your picks but I’m most confused and curious about why you picked Stefen? Maybe I missed something about him and he does really bad things? My perspective of him was that he was a pretty good guy.

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

10 minutes ago, Whisky said:

Yeah same. I disagree with a few of your picks but I’m most confused and curious about why you picked Stefen? Maybe I missed something about him and he does really bad things? My perspective of him was that he was a pretty good guy.

Looking at the list, I am fairly certain @drattakbowser interpreted the thread title as meaning the character with the worst recruitment method...

5 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Truly the most unforgiveable sin for a Fire Emblem character.