The actual “fire emblem”

Capt. Fargus

What actually is the “fire emblem”? 🤔

Saw on FE6 its referred to as “Bern’s greatest treasure” and “that tiny gem stone”, but what’s it look like?

Or does it vary with every game and storyline?

27 minutes ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Yeah, basically.

In the original game and it's various remakes/sequels, the Fire Emblem is a magical shield that can be used to vanquish Earth Dragons.

In Ike's games, the Fire Emblem is a medallion that contains the soul of a primordial deity of chaos.

In Genealogy of the Holy War, it's a flag.

Oh man, I love this question! The coveted "Fire Emblem" varies from game to game.

• In Shadow Dragon, Mystery of the Emblem, and Awakening, it's a shield, also called the Binding Shield, and it's typically used in conjunction with Falchion in the games. If you play Heroes, you may have noticed it in Legendary Marth's artwork and sprite.
  • In Genealogy of the Holy War, it's the family crest of House Velthomer, the family that Arvis belongs to.
  • In The Binding Blade, it's as you mentioned, a gem. You can actually see it in the hilt of Roy's sword, the... Binding Blade.
  • In The Sacred Stones, it is one of the titular Sacred Stones. Fascinating, I know.
  • In Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, it is a medallion, also called Lehran's Medallion.
  • In Fates, it's the Yato blade, more specifically its final form, Omega Yato (the form Corrin uses in Smash). This is only in Revelations, though.
  • In Three Houses, it's the Crest of Flames (which can literally translate to Fire Emblem; to be honest, it wasn't immediately obvious to me at first when I initially played the game). It's the signature crest of Byleth... and at least three other characters, making it the most common crest in the game despite being the rarest in lore, ironically.

I think the only mainline games that it doesn't appear in are Gaiden/SoV, Thracia 776, and Blazing Blade; the former two are side stories, and the latter a prequel, so it's interesting that the Fire Emblem doesn't appear in those games, but it makes sense as to why it doesn't.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the Fire Emblem is going to be in Engage. Perhaps one of the rings that the cast can use?

3 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Yeah, basically.

In the original game and it's various remakes/sequels, the Fire Emblem is a magical shield that can be used to vanquish Earth Dragons.

In Ike's games, the Fire Emblem is a medallion that contains the soul of a primordial deity of chaos.

In Genealogy of the Holy War, it's a flag.

In the original game it's nothing more than a lock pick. Didn't even look like a shield. Nor did it have any real story importance at all. I'm pretty sure the name came before the object.

1 hour ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Saw on FE6 its referred to as “Bern’s greatest treasure” and “that tiny gem stone”, but what’s it look like?

The version of the Fire Emblem from FE6 has been depicted in a manga, and as far as I know it is the only official image of the stone

hasha_emblem.jpg

16 minutes ago, Capt. Fargus said:

It varies by setting generally, and the main site has a good little article about them if you want to find out more

https://serenesforest.net/general/the-fire-emblem/

Although it stops before Awakening, so I guess I can add a little more detail from future games in the spoiler box below

Spoiler

Fire Emblem Awakening

Awakening takes place in the same continent as Shadow Dragon, and Mystery of the Emblem, so the Fire Emblem is ostensibly the same

fire-emblem.png

Although it has gotten this new redesign, and is now a vital part of the Ritual of Awakening, which requires the five sacred orbs to be returned to the shield, and once performed the worthy are awakened to Naga's power, which transforms the Falchion into an exalted form.

Fire Emblem Fates

In Fire Emblem Fates the Fire Emblem is another name for the Exalted Yato. The Yato is Corrin's personal weapon, and a weapon destined to bring peace which chooses its user. To become the Fire Emblem the Yato must be blessed by its creator, the Rainbow Sage, and resonate with the other four sacred weapons he created, which are split between Corrin's Hoshidan, and Nohrian siblings. Only by uniting these fighting noble families (in Revelation) does the Yato become

90a8f9e150a6dc0c9a124b008ea534d7--fire-e

the Fire Emblem.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses

In Three Houses the Fire Emblem is coyly refereed as the Crest of Flames. The Crest are a physical sign of the power a human gets from a blessing of a dragon god's blood, and its power is inconsistently hereditary, and extremely important to the class structure of Fodlan society. The Crest of Flame in particular represents the power of the blood of Fodlan's "Progenitor God" Sothis, and is considered particularly powerful by the plot. It is most notably held by Byleth, but it was also implanted into Edelgard via experimentation, and thought to have been lost in the distant past when its sole holder, the supposed hero turned villain Nemesis was slain

crests_22.png

This is the image of the Crest of Flames, the Fire Emblem of Three Houses.

To sum up briefly

Shadow Dragon, Mystery of the Emblem, Awakening: A shield woth five jewels embedded in it.

Gaiden: NA

Genealogy of the Holy War, Thracia: A flag mentioned only once in a conditional ending scene that doesn't even use the same Japanese term as the rest of the series.

Binding Blade, Blazing Blade: The seal of Bern. Functionally a glorified key to the Binding Blade.

Sacred Stones: One of the Sacred Stones, the Stone of Light held by L'Archel's country.

Path of Radiant, Radiant Dawn: A prison for a dark God that bird people sing to.

Fates: The true form of Corrin's sword

Three Houses, Three Hopes: The crest of flames that Byleth and Edelgard and Nemesis have (which is basically midiclorians).

Tokyo Mirage Sessions: An opera (seriously)

Is it something in Warriors and Heroes? I camt remember, but I'm guessing its the protagonists' weapons (and tacked on with one line of dialogue somewhere).

All in all the Fire Emblem has never been something relevant in the series. All these things are known by other names and usually the Fire Emblem moniker is tacked on at the literal ending of the game. The only games where it feels like it's own thing are in Archanea and Tellius (and even then as I said in my previous comment, it's importance in the first game and it's remakes was highly lacking).

Edited by Jotari

6 hours ago, indigoasis said:

I think the only mainline games that it doesn't appear in are Gaiden/SoV, Thracia 776, and Blazing Blade

The Fire Emblem is actually a plot point for 1 chapter in Blazing Blade. It still isn't much and doesn't really matter to the overall story, but it's more than SoV gets.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Sacred Stones: One of the Sacred Stones, the Stone of Light held by L'Archel's country.

I'm pretty sure the Fire Emblem is not held by Rausten, but by Grado (Lyon's country).

Spoiler

The Fire Emblem was the sacred stone that originally imprisoned the Demon King Fomortiis. Lyon used this stone to try and resurrect his father, but got corrupted/mind controlled in the process, and released the Demon King.

Though technically, after Grado destroyed all other sacred stones, with Rausten's stone being the only one left, Rausten's stone imprisoning the Demon King at the end of the game would make that one the new Fire Emblem. It was never actually called that though.

21 minutes ago, whase said:

The Fire Emblem is actually a plot point for 1 chapter in Blazing Blade. It still isn't much and doesn't really matter to the overall story, but it's more than SoV gets.

I'm pretty sure the Fire Emblem is not held by Rausten, but by Grado (Lyon's country).

Hide contents

The Fire Emblem was the sacred stone that originally imprisoned the Demon King Fomortiis. Lyon used this stone to try and resurrect his father, but got corrupted/mind controlled in the process, and released the Demon King.

Though technically, after Grado destroyed all other sacred stones, with Rausten's stone being the only one left, Rausten's stone imprisoning the Demon King at the end of the game would make that one the new Fire Emblem. It was never actually called that though.

Ah, you are correct. Not sure why my mind even went to Rausten. I once wrote and absurdist time travel fanfic about collecting all the different Fire Emblems with the final one being in Grado, so the correct knowledge was definitely in my mind...for anyone who's interested.

8 hours ago, Jotari said:

Is it something in Warriors and Heroes? I camt remember, but I'm guessing its the protagonists' weapons (and tacked on with one line of dialogue somewhere).

In Warriors, it's just another shield. In Heroes, I don't think Midgard necessarily has a stated Fire Emblem, but if I had to take a guess, it would probably be Breidablik. 

7 hours ago, indigoasis said:

In Warriors, it's just another shield. In Heroes, I don't think Midgard necessarily has a stated Fire Emblem, but if I had to take a guess, it would probably be Breidablik. 

Ah yes, it plays some role in resurrecting the villain in Warriors.

Heroes might hit us with the term in one of the final books, but the Breidablik is what I had in mind when saying the protagonists weapons. Seems the most obvious.

On 10/1/2022 at 8:32 PM, Capt. Fargus said:

Like stated, it does:

In the Archanea games, it's a shield which five jewels are set in (you also see this, and the jewels, in Awakening; Chrom's Great Lord class even uses it as a shield).

In Sacred Stones, it was the Stone of Grado, which kept Fomortiis's soul imprisoned.

In the Tellius saga, it's known as Lehran's Medallion.

In Fates, it's the ultimate form of Corrin's sword (specifically, the Omega Yato, which is obtained in Revelation, and also used in Smash Bros.)

In Three Houses and Three Hopes, it's the Crest of Flames, which Byleth (as well as several other characters that I won't mention due to spoilers) has.