What other transforming units should the series have?

AnonymousSpeed

Fire Emblem has broadly done three kinds of transforming units- dragons, beasts, and birds. There have been different variants on these themes, some more creative than others, and each one has a different level of prevalence in the series. Manaketes are pervasive and have been around since day one. Beast units were a regular feature of every original game for a decade, but their absence from Three Houses leaves it uncertain what their role in the franchise will be moving forward. Meanwhile, birds have exclusively appeared in Tellius.

With that overview out of the way, let's move on to the real question: What other transforming units should the series have? Or, perhaps more generally, what transforming units do you want to see in future games? This would include returning types of transforming units, though I'd obviously like to see new ideas passed around.

Transforming units which appeared in the series so far have been based on the following creatures:

• Dragons (FE1, FE3, FE6, FE8-14)
  • Cats (FE9-10)
  • Lions (FE9-10)
  • Tigers (FE9-10)
  • Wolves (FE10, FE14)
  • Foxes (FE14)
  • Rabbits (FE13)
  • Hawks (FE9-10)
  • Ravens (FE9-10)
  • Herons (FE9-10)
  • Bats (Heroes)
  • Cows (Heroes)
  • Goats (Heroes)

As for returning types, I'd be glad to see any birds at all. When it comes to putting a new spin on it, I think tropical birds like parrots or toucans could be pretty interesting.

I'd also think it'd be interesting to see units who could turn into crabs. Crabs are kinda cool. Carcinization returns.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

A mini mecha.

Seriously though, Heroes added a couple more animal forms, even if they're more or less unique for now, but that could always change in a different game.

Though alternatively, beyond animals... I'd wish to see another "chameleon" ala Xane. Or at least a dryad-like unit who transform into plant-life instead...

My most new transformed animal characters that I would like to see it added to the FE series that I probably pick are:

• Bears
  • Frogs
  • Elephants
  • Racoons

By the way, you should add Goats, Cows, and Bats from Fire Emblem Heroes in the list as well. Also, I do know that Taguels from Awakening are technically counted as Rabbits as well.

Edited by King Marth 64

10 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

A mini mecha.

Do it cowards. Add playable puppets.

6 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

By the way, you should add Goats, Cows, and Bats from Fire Emblem Heroes in the list as well. Also, I do know that Taguels from Awakening are technically counted as Rabbits as well.

Oh yeah, good catch. It is done.

I always thought that porcupines would be fun addition as a defensive focused unit. Admittedly, I mostly just want them as an excuse to see quill beards and spiky hair, since I think that could lead to some really cool anthropomorphic designs.

Snakes could also be neat to see, though that could just be because I've been replaying XCOM: Chimera Squad recently, and Torque has a lot of fun options. I don't know how well those abilities they'd transfer over into Fire Emblem's gameplay, but I can see the potential in a unit that has the ability to bind and crush enemies to prevent them from moving, or one that could pull allies or enemies towards them with their tongue. The Thin Man design from XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a good example of what a "snake person" could look like untransformed.

As for returning beasts, I have a soft spot for the Taguel and would like to see them come back. More seriously, if they introduce different classes for beasts, then I think there is some solid choices for what to do with rabbit warriors. Perhaps one could burrow underneath the ground, being able to bypass certain obstacles and even set up pitfall traps to halt enemy advances. Another could focus on mobility, being able to hop on, off, and over certain obstacles and reach places other units couldn't. Maybe have one focused on being a straightforward warrior, and so on. I'd like them to come back with other beast units, though, so that each one could fulfil a different niche. On a different note, I always thought that a Taguel warren could make for a fun level and was disappointed that Awakening never took advantage of that.

47 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

since FE really likes its medieval fantasy so much. some kind of transform-able golem maybe. sometimes golem in fantasy is not just moving rock / statue, but the equivalent of android/robot but powered by magic core. have the golem use interchangeable part, so we can have transforming robot unit 

for animals, theres already plenty in FE, just have returning one with different design is enough. personally want feline type, fox, and some bird to appear again

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Didn't that happen in Fates? Aside from the enemy Automatons, there was also the Mechanist class, which rides a puppet.

Anyway, how about Snakes? They could fight with a mix of biting and constricting attacks. Maybe even give them magic (i.e. "Fire Serpent", "Wind Serpent", "Thunder Serpent" subtribes). Transformers that target Res are sorely underused.

12 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Bears. That is all. But knowing Fire Emblem they'd pull a Panne/Yarne/Keaton/Velouria and make the design TERRIBLE.

Just give us a playable panda, please!

I suppose if I were to say an actual "animal", and going for mythological, I'd say the Ahuizotl. Beast unit... still capable of using weapons thanks to its monkey-like paws/hands... and hand-tail too.

Naw man, go further: 

EVERYONE gets a transformation in the form of spirit animals. And these spirit animals determine growth rates stat bonuses etc.

Oh your armoured knight is dying? Take a whiff of the GRASS and boom elephant, rhino, hippo what have you with severe stat boost, movement bonuses/maluses etc, a spiritual weapon weakness. More singing to refresh? Methinks there´s a bird precedence already. Thieves, Assassins and all that is sneaky? Mice, rats etc. Heroes? Lions. Archers? Hawks. Berserkers... erm Bears?

Wanna change a units spirit animal? Here´s this convenient shop that let´s you do just that, but the unit won´t be available for a map and of course it´s going to cost a bunch of money/materials.

3rd tier promotions? Use this rare item and materialize your spirit animal to some limited extent: Paladin with hawk becomes a Falcon Knight or something, loses the ability to reclass, gains flying/beast/spiritual weakness, but new/improved skills, big stat boost and raise these stat caps. Or something like that. I don´t know how to explain materializing wyverns from a horse unless lizard riders are a thing.

oh i forgot mythological creature transformation exist, not just normal animal..

sphinx, mermaid, werewolf. but top it off with one of the important character from desert being Anubis. 

I'd like the game to revisit Tellius just because the beasts are do cool and much can be fine with them. 

That said,

* serpentine water dragon, which could fit a snake, and work as mermaids lore wise 

* Unicorn - quite surprised there's none in the lore 

* Bat - which could work basically as vampires. Heroes recently had it but I'd like too see it implemented in a main game 

* Fox, which are basically kitsunes. I wouldn't mind them coming back as well, even if it's in a new setting 

On 10/4/2022 at 3:18 AM, King Marth 64 said:

Frogs

Definitely the one I've thought of before to give more options in more waterlogged maps. Maybe similarly otters or beavers could provide niches for those maps.

Maybe insects or cephalopods would be a step too far for some but I could think of examples there (Octopi, Ants, various flying insects), but an example I want to mention are badgers as maybe a slow tanky build and one could be used to justify a variety of beast transformers living together as under it's protection in some way. It's a little surprising Deer didn't come up yet in FEH, seem like an easy pick for a flighty quick retreat species that could have non-combat utility to justify the girl of the book turning into one.

And of course Pangolins, because Pangolins.