Do Americans unironically realise the US isn't actually "America".

♠Soul♠

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am an American, I know that US isn't the entire part of North America since we do have Canada, Mexico, etc. as other countries in North America. I don't think I recall other Americans that I know of straight up call US as America as itself.

3 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

I don't think I recall other Americans that I know of straight up call US as America as itself.

Well then, you're very lucky to not have to tolerate it.

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

We do, and we're tired of lecturing you United-Statesians about it.

This guys knows what's up.

1 hour ago, Armchair General said:

Yes, but we're one of the few countries who are named after the continent it's on, so the name kind of stuck

"US" is a lot shorter and accurate. b:

58 minutes ago, Florete said:

Do you unironically realize the irony of asking such a question while calling us "Americans?"

I do not. I have heard no other way to call people from the US, otherwise.

58 minutes ago, Florete said:

Plenty of other countries just call it "America" anyway.

Lie better.

56 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

probably better than the rest of the world? I don't understand the question. And never heard a non native refer to us as the full "United States of America". We're just "America" to them.

I literally never heard any non native American call the US "America" unless they've been brainwashed lived there themselves for so long.

7 minutes ago, ♠Soul♠ said:

I do not. I have heard no other way to call people from the US, otherwise.

Columbian used to be one. Or they tried to make it so back in the 19th Century.

Outside the US, Yankee refers to the whole US and not just the north, from what I remember.

47 minutes ago, ♠Soul♠ said:

Lie better.

I've been called a liar for a lot of stuff that's true lately. I rather dislike it and would appreciate you not doing it.

I know for a fact that multiple Asian countries, including Japan, just use "America." From what I've seen it's usually Europeans who insist that "You're not just 'America'"...though I'm sure it's not all of them.

What I don't know is why anyone cares so goddamn much. Go ahead and call us the United Statesians of the United States of America all the time if it really makes you feel better.

1 hour ago, ♠Soul♠ said:

I have heard no other way to call people from the US, otherwise.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Outside the US, Yankee refers to the whole US and not just the north, from what I remember.

However, most commonly among the Latino community is referring to Americans as "gringos". Which is funny, i like calling them "gringos".

1 hour ago, ♠Soul♠ said:

"US" is a lot shorter and accurate.

Yeah but when referring to the people? 

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Columbian used to be one

I wish it stuck just so that Americans and Columbians could troll the world.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Columbian used to be one. Or they tried to make it so back in the 19th Century.

Oh no, we don't bother with the extra vowels. They're all just Yanks. And if those in the south (of the United States of America) have an issue with that, well they should have won the war.

In related news, what do people in the neighboring countries call people from the Central African Republic? Surely they're not just Africans? Maybe they're considered CARs.

Also to make the name even more confusing, one of the titular states of the United States clearly isn't even in North (or South) America XD

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

However, most commonly among the Latino community is referring to Americans as "gringos". Which is funny, i like calling them "gringos".

Well, at least this side of the border, Gringo also tends to be a bit derogatory. I guess nowadays it depends on the context.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I wish it stuck just so that Americans and Columbians could troll the world.

... Colombians, don't you mean...?

I'm guessing due to the whole association with Columbus the term is no longer politically correct.

I mean, I'm pretty sure DC is now Douglas Commonwealth rather than District of Columbia. Or at least, that's one of the ideas of calling DC if it ever becomes a state.

37 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Oh no, we don't bother with the extra vowels. They're all just Yanks. And if those in the south (of the United States of America) have an issue with that, well they should have won the war.

To be fair, Yankee is like a term that varies depending on where you use it.

Outside the US? Yankee is those from the US.

Inside the US? Yankee is those from the north.

Inside the US north? Yankee is those from New England. (Yankee Doodle, anyone)

And I'm pretty sure for the New Englanders, Yankee is someone from a specific part of the region.

So... yeah.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

23 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, at least this side of the border, Gringo also tends to be a bit derogatory

Gringo was actually derogatory way back then but now it's just slang tbh over here at least. Or at least, i don't think anybody would actually get offended. There's even a restaurant chain over here called Gringos Locos. There's even one on campus.

23 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Colombians, don't you mean...?

So there's a difference in pronounciation is there. I mean if you say it fast enough...

Edited by Armagon

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

At least that's something that can be flipped, though.

2 hours ago, Florete said:

What I don't know is why anyone cares so goddamn much.

Probably because of how obnoxious some of our politicians are; which isn't exactly fair, considering what went on in Canada and Brazil. As for Europe...Well, there's Putin trying to Ukraine into his retirement gift.

Yeah but when referring to the people? 

I heard " USonion" or something. But after hearing it in Iron Harvest, it just felt forced.

3 hours ago, ♠Soul♠ said:

Well then, you're very lucky to not have to tolerate it.

I'd say that the European Union exists, but that's more of an international attempt at cooperation than an actual government.

31 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Gringo was actually derogatory way back then but now it's just slang tbh over here at least. Or at least, i don't think anybody would actually get offended. There's even a restaurant chain over here called Gringos Locos. There's even one on campus.

So there's a difference in pronounciation is there. I mean if you say it fast enough...

Isn't yankee also derogatory? Or can be?

And is gringo even a national based term? I thought it was more of a racial term. Like I don't expect a born and bred Mexican would call someone of Mexican ethnic background that grew up in Florida a gringo. At least that's the impression I get from TV and stuff. I've never been anywhere close to a region where such a term would be used.

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Only if you were born in the late 1700s.

Bold of you to assume I wasn't!

I mean to my knowledge, gringo has pretty exclusively been used to refer to non-Hispanic Americans.

Would a black or Asian American be referred to as a gringo?

Edited by Jotari

6 hours ago, Florete said:

I know for a fact that multiple Asian countries, including Japan, just use "America." From what I've seen it's usually Europeans who insist that "You're not just 'America'"...though I'm sure it's not all of them.

It's definitely common in Germany to call YuEssians Amerikaner. It would be more precise to say US-Amerikaner, and e.g. news in radio or TV will do so, I think, but since it's more common to talk about the US than about all of America as a single entity, people will likely assume that you talk about the US when you say Amerika.

The "You're not just 'America'" might be a similarly silly response to the US defaultism you often see on the internets?

As a Canadian, I hear US and America used pretty much interchangeably. Normally people say "North America/n" when referring to the continent as a whole, though "North America" typically only means the US and Canada, and often Mexico as well- Everything south of Mexico is usually just called Central America.

I imagine geographical location makes a bit of difference for whether or not it matters- Here, we don't have States and have just the one neighbour, so the States is syonymous with the US, as is America, whereas in most countries, that ain't the case.

Or maybe it's just a nationalism thing...

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Yeah, but you also have the Red Socks which everyone thinks is racist.

The name of the Red Sox is considered racist? I didn't actually know that...

(Not that I'm altogether shocked considerin' some of the other team names running around here in NA)