Legendary Hero: Male Robin

Sunwoo

And now people can finally shut up about Leg MRobin already. He looks... fine. Unity and debuff neutralization are accessible enough that I'm not concerned about him being a major threat, and he has no notable fodder if you don't care about stuff like SD or super high tier AR.

He's here! And they're continuing to fuel Chrom/m!Robin, that's neat.

Disappointing that there's still no sword, but maybe CYL will go for it. And this suggests Legendary Corrin may finally show up soon as well.

Not much to say about the abilities. Seal Atk 4 finally exists, along with more Grand Strategy. I'm missing two of the green units, so I'll go for green during the free session and see if I can get him or Xander, but won't continue past that. And that's waiting another week because I still need to finish sparking for Elincia, then throwing any remaining orbs at Halloween Duma and possibly Valentine's Hana.

This is now 4 Legendary/Mythic heroes in a row to have had their A passive slot be the Prf skill slot. Wonder if that's gonna be the new trend while they make stronger and stronger B and C passives?

Robin is turning all stat penalties into massive bonuses, but other than that he doesn't have much in the way of other effects, just follow-up denial on his weapon and guaranteed follow-up on his prf skill. I honestly would have expected a Prf version of Ignis instead of a prf A passive, but whatever. Probably going to be very annoyingly bulky in practice with all those stat modifiers and Seal Atk 4. Those stat penalty towers in Aether Raids are going to be incredibly dangerous to place with Robin in play.

The other units feel oddly meh as alternate offerings... good, but nothing mind-blowing. Colorless at least has the coveted Arcane Grima on it.

I think he may be a very annoying foe to deal with. Sure, we can nullify our own penalties... But there is no way to nullify foe's penalties. With his weapon and A skill alone against a foe that has Null Penalties, Robin is getting +8 to all stats on himself during combat, and inflicting Atk/Spd/Res-13 on foe. Then his B skill can add up to extra Atk-11. All this is in-combat stats, not visible. And they cannot be nullified.

I think the main problem with Robin is that he cannot be danced. He will penalize himself at start of turn, but once he moves he losses all the penalties. Once he gets dancer, all those penalties on himself are gone. He works better as a player phase unit, because it's the phase you are guaranteed to have penalties. In enemy phase, it will depend on the foes if they can debuff Robin or not.

I think he is a very good Legendary Hero, but not really needed. He is probably increasing the Legendary Duel effect though, becoming the highest scoring Earth Legendary I believe.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

Glad he's here, but he's not a unit for me. Far too busy visually and in terms of being a green infantry mage, I am quite content with M Byleth.

I actually do have a bit of a summoning itch since basically nothing has happened for a couple of weeks now, but this ain't it. I may get baited into a full round I suppose, since while I'm not specifically interested in the units, I'm missing the entire red and grey lineups, and from blue and green, my F Byleth, Seiros and Xander are unmerged and have the worse natures possible.

I was completely willing to ignore him until I saw he had Atk Seal 4. Of all the units to debut it, why a Legendary?

23 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

I think the main problem with Robin is that he cannot be danced. He will penalize himself at start of turn, but once he moves he losses all the penalties. Once he gets dancer, all those penalties on himself are gone. He works better as a player phase unit, because it's the phase you are guaranteed to have penalties. In enemy phase, it will depend on the foes if they can debuff Robin or not.

(Un)fortunately, this isn't actually the case. [Grand Strategy] turns that feature off as long as it's active. Those debuffs aren't going anywhere.

Edited by Some Jerk

Wow, he looks really annoying to deal with. He's like Legendary Eliwood, but even more annoying. His support effect isn't global, but there's absolutely nothing you can actually do to counter him.

I'll probably wait to see what the next Special Heroes banner is (assume that's the first banner next month) before deciding how much I'll pull for him. I might start by going for somewhere between +3 and +5, though. Thorr and Xander don't do much for me since both of them constantly appear on banners with new green units, so I already have too many extra copies.

A bit disappointed he doesn't come with the Levin Sword, but I guess they can do that for his CYL version or something. It doesn't even have to take up the red slot since they can do the same thing they did with the Legendary Byleths' weapons.

And the usual translation notes:

Robin's epithet, "Exalt's Other Half", is "聖王の半身" (seiō no hanshin), "The Exalt's Other Half". "聖王の半身" (seiō no hanshin) literally translates as "half of the holy king's body", but the meaning is the same as in English.

Master's Tactics is "神軍師の書" (shin-gunshi no sho), "Grandmaster's Tome". "神軍師" (shin-gunshi) literally translates as "divine tactician", but is also the name of the Grandmaster class.

Part of the Plan is "これも策のうちだよ" (kore mo saku no uchi da yo), "This, too, is part of the plan". This is identical to regular Male Robin's mid level up quote and is basically his catchphrase, localized as "This is all part of the plan". The latter half of it, "策のうちだよ" (saku no uchi da yo), "part of the plan", is one of his half damage quotes. Female Robin uses the same line for both quotes, but with the masculine "だよ" (da yo) replaced with the feminine "です" (desu).

Seal Atk is "攻撃封じ" (kōgeki fūji), "Atk Sealing". As usual, the Seal skill series uses "封じ" (fūji), "sealing", which is the stem of the verb "封じる" (fūjiru), "to seal", as a gerund, whereas the Chill skill series uses "封印" (fūin), "seal", which is a noun. Compare Seal Atk "攻撃封じ" (kōgeki fūji), "Atk Sealing", with Chill Atk "攻撃の封印" (kōgeki no fūin), "Atk Seal".

Ah, M!Robin has a wind tome but is otherwise very earthy (???) and exists as a Grandmaster legendary hero. Neat. That said, there's nothing on this banner that's really calling to me (except maybe F!Robin's arcane dragonstone, but it's not worth my orbs right now, I don't think) so I think I'll just skip this one and wait for the next batch of themed heroes (which I think are the child heroes.)

14 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

(except maybe F!Robin's arcane dragonstone, but it's not worth my orbs right now, I don't think

She's also in the AHR VG so it'll be easier to get her there if she wins anyway (and we'll know who's going to be on that banner before this one runs out).

15 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

which I think are the child heroes.

Oh, you're right! I completely forgot about that!

As for L!Robin... wow, that epithet is so on the nose xD I've always felt both Robins work better as Chrom's BFFs, but again: "X's Other Half" is such a loaded expression! Also, I said this in the Engage subforum too, but a part of me wonders if this alt is meant to be not-so-subtly promoting Engage's Wave 3 in which case the odds are increased a bit of that releasing sooner than later.

After thinking about this a bit more, the only actual counter to this Robin is False Start, which is still exclusive to Elimine. (This is also still the only actual counter to Triangle Attack and Dual Strike.) What the hell.

Canto Control was released 12 months ago and now has 1 exclusive weapon and 3 units with the inheritable skill. False Start was released 13 months ago and still only has 1 exclusive weapon. This is stupid.

Adding to that, False Start is still completely useless in Summoner Duels because its position in the activation order is the same as most other start-of-turn skills instead of having higher priority.

1 hour ago, Mercakete said:

wait for the next batch of themed heroes (which I think are the child heroes.)

Next batch of Special Heroes will be Spring Heroes.

Child/Young Heroes are in April.

6 hours ago, Some Jerk said:

(Un)fortunately, this isn't actually the case. [Grand Strategy] turns that feature off as long as it's active. Those debuffs aren't going anywhere.

Oh wow. I actually didn't know about that. I don't use Chrom's Duo Skill that ofter... Or at all. 

Robin just became more annoying then.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

The fact that they made Legendary Robin 200 BST instead of 195 BST bothers me. They are really trying to sell Legendary Heroes at this point, with all this stuff of Bonus Legendaries and now this BST increase.

We were already expecting it, since February they usually do the BST increase... but they went from 190 to 200, skipping 195. Legendary Heroes score the same as Duo Heroes now.

11 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

The fact that they made Legendary Robin 200 BST instead of 195 BST bothers me. They are really trying to sell Legendary Heroes at this point, with all this stuff of Bonus Legendaries and now this BST increase.

We were already expecting it, since February they usually do the BST increase... but they went from 190 to 200, skipping 195. Legendary Heroes score the same as Duo Heroes now.

Lol, seriously?

Man this sucks for anyone who invested in/still wants to use their launch units. It's not like they even have good weapons outside of ARCANE WEAPONS

4 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Lol, seriously?

Man this sucks for anyone who invested in/still wants to use their launch units. It's not like they even have good weapons outside of ARCANE WEAPONS

A +10 launch melee infantry unit without a Duel skill still scores the same as a +6 unit with a 200 Duel effect.

If you don't have the resources to merge up modern units, you're still better off using easily mergeable units instead for Arena score, even if they're launch units.