To Become an Elitist [Playlogs FE1-5] [currently playing: Thracia 776]

ping

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The original patch, dubbed Shaya Patch, needs no introduction. Pearls like "in America" and "stupid bitch," garbled menus, specific statsheets that crash the game, a chapter famously named Murder Hollace, a critical mistranslation leading people to believe that any units left behind when Leif escapes will also escape... Stray clear. This patch is best left forgotten outside of memes.

I contributed about two lines of assembly to Shaya's patch.  I was actually eyeing Thracia to do after Mystery (if Vincent would be willing to translate, or maybe using FireLizard's text translation), but Shaya claimed it first.  It's probably for the best, Thracia would've eaten grad-school-me alive, it's much more complicated to hack than Mystery and that was a challenge enough for me.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Jotari said:

She is specifically not a bastard as one villager notes that she is the daughter of King Jiol's second wife (maybe the first wife was infertile). So the "taking" Samson refers to would be more forcing her to marry him than raping her on a bar table or something (course forcing someone to marry you almost certainly would have some inevitable raping going on by our standards).

And, for what it's worth, New Mystery tells us Sheena's mother gave Sheena a doll at some point which she still hides in her armour as a keepsake...which is nice even though it doesn't clarify things a whole lot.

Oh, I missed (or forgot) that villager talk. At this point, Gra looks like a puzzle, except that not only are 75% of the pieces missing, the pieces that remain don't even fit together.

8 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Yes, that's the unpatched game. It has an English narration with Japanese subtitles. Surprisingly solid English too.

Ah, that's good to know. I wonder what the reasoning was to add that - maybe to emphasise a "european-ness" of the setting.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Murder Hollace

I was going to ask if you're entirely certain that Kaga didn't just really hate the character Horace's guts... but contrary to what I thought, he's a DSFE original, not a BSFE addition.

I appreciate the summary about the translation patches - it sounds like something one would find on r/hobbydrama :lol:

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The OA always threw me for a loop, but her sprite isn't orange. It's not bright pink either, it's a sort of... Salmon color.

Hmm, you're right. I think Project Ember changes it (and the portrait) to orange and I think that's where I last used Wendy.

2 hours ago, RPGuy96 said:

I contributed about two lines of assembly to Shaya's patch.  I was actually eyeing Thracia to do after Mystery (if Vincent would be willing to translate, or maybe using FireLizard's text translation), but Shaya claimed it first.  It's probably for the best, Thracia would've eaten grad-school-me alive, it's much more complicated to hack than Mystery and that was a challenge enough for me.

And now we've gotten to the point where Thracia is the only game in the series that's getting fanslations to languages other than English. Where, there's a Spanish FE6 but it's ancient and suffering from all the issues the old FE6 patch had. By comparison, Thracia translating has become so accessible, thanks primarily to the Lil' Manster team, that the game's going to a multitude of languages.

Honestly, good. More people need to experience peak Kaga. Peak Kaga in this series, at least. I have some issues with the game, but it's overall good, and while it's not Berwick Saga, well, what is?

19 minutes ago, ping said:

I was going to ask if you're entirely certain that Kaga didn't just really hate the character Horace's guts... but contrary to what I thought, he's a DSFE original, not a BSFE addition.

Yeah, I don't think there was a Horace at all until DSFE.

19 minutes ago, ping said:

I appreciate the summary about the translation patches - it sounds like something one would find on r/hobbydrama :lol:

No problem. Just wanting the best Thracia experience for ya. In return you could tackle Berwick Saga after--

21 minutes ago, ping said:

Hmm, you're right. I think Project Ember changes it (and the portrait) to orange and I think that's where I last used Wendy.

Yeah, PE went the OA route. Didn't like it much myself. Bright pink armor is silly but orange just makes her Oswin.

On 2/8/2024 at 10:23 PM, ping said:

Honestly, these three should've remained unrecruitable in New Mystery. Not only for the drama, but also to spare them the humiliation that are their stats in the remake.

They still should end up fighting for Hardin, though.
I mean, at the start they give this big speech about their gratitude and loyalty to Hardin, but then they just leave because King Noname told them to? Seems appropriate for them to pick their loyalty to Hardin over their duty to Orleans when the chips are down.

tu1IrkG.png

Gotta love this thing. Consider just how silly Bantu and Tiki's bulk can be, and then you add an item that automatically heals their massive HP pool at the start of each turn.

Anyway, I have to reiterate that Marth really is rather corrinesque. The "You're so nice, lemme give you my kingdom" routine that Sheema and now King Orleans do wouldn't have felt out-of-place in Fateslandia at all.

First, let's keep in mind that the Sheema thing is the result of concrete player action. She would have fought you to the death if you had decided to murder any of those low level soldiers because you were unable to see red units as anything but piles of EXP. Like all those Awakening psychopaths who go "Die with magnificence" whenever they get a chance to butcher some poor drafted schmuck.

But framing is also really important. Here the focus is on the tragedy of it all. How the king of Orleans is this broken old man who is about to lose the only remaining family that he still has. At the end of the day he only hands over the reigns to Marth because there is no one else.
Minerva took the failure of her reign clearly personal as well. I mean, she became a nun for crying out loud. Specifically working under Lena as well. Devoting yourself to faith is one of those classic ways to show someone is struggling to make sense of what they went through.

6xRF1Qy.png__R2Nszvr.png

Pff... I'm sorry, but hot pink armour is just inherently funny to me.

To me it doesn't look that much more pink than Hardin's, at least.

5LmJEnD.png: "Unfortunately Lady Midia was defeated, and was captured... Each day many people are executed. It is only a matter of time before Lady Midia shares the same fate."

Well, that's too bad. If only Midia's bigshot Hero husband had been around to help her instead of being too busy doing the dirty work for the guy who is about to have his wife killed.

On 2/9/2024 at 6:38 PM, ping said:

Ah, that's good to know. I wonder what the reasoning was to add that - maybe to emphasise a "european-ness" of the setting.

It's not unheard of. Like how Castlevania Rondo of Blood has an intro narrated in German.

On 2/9/2024 at 7:21 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, PE went the OA route. Didn't like it much myself. Bright pink armor is silly but orange just makes her Oswin.

Of course if we go by the artwork colors, Bors should also be more green than anything. The two of them really don't have similar armor colors.

bors.png wendy.png

Edited by BrightBow

On 2/10/2024 at 3:21 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, I don't think there was a Horace at all until DSFE.

Kaga just hates the Egyptian God of Light.

3 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Well, that's too bad. If only Midia's bigshot Hero husband had been around to help her instead of being too busy doing the dirty work for the guy who is about to have his wife killed.

Fun fact, an unused battle quote suggests Midia was going to be an enemy originally.

"Heartless fiends who point their arrows at our holy kingdom, if you wish to step foot inside Archanea Palace, then you'll have to kill me first!"

Which, imo, gives her more character than I think either game ever gives her, depicting her as a down right zealot when it comes to protecting Archanea. Instead we did Mystery's favorite plot point. Repeat exactly what happened in Shadow Dragon!

Edited by Jotari

12 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Of course if we go by the artwork colors, Bors should also be more green than anything. The two of them really don't have similar armor colors.

bors.png wendy.png

Bors is close enough that with the original GBA's coloring and lighting, it might do the trick. Wendy's completely different though.

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

Fun fact, an unused battle quote suggests Midia was going to be an enemy originally.

"Heartless fiends who point their arrows at our holy kingdom, if you wish to step foot inside Archanea Palace, then you'll have to kill me first!"

Which, imo, gives her more character than I think either game ever gives her, depicting her as a down right zealot when it comes to protecting Archanea. Instead we did Mystery's favorite plot point. Repeat exactly what happened in Shadow Dragon!

Honestly, really would've been better lol, her role in book 2 is so forgettable as it is.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Bors is close enough that with the original GBA's coloring and lighting, it might do the trick. Wendy's completely different though.

Honestly, really would've been better lol, her role in book 2 is so forgettable as it is.

Even though it's the exact same position she's in as Book 1...on the exact same route to boot. I do think there is some potential of Hardin having her right there beside him ready to execute. They just needed to build up to it and make us actually care about Midia by mentioning her, like, at least once before this section of the game. And by that I really mean show us scenes of Hardin, Midia and Nyna in Archanea so we have a sense of the situation. What they did was pretty much BTW Midia exists too.

16 hours ago, BrightBow said:

They still should end up fighting for Hardin, though.
I mean, at the start they give this big speech about their gratitude and loyalty to Hardin, but then they just leave because King Noname told them to? Seems appropriate for them to pick their loyalty to Hardin over their duty to Orleans when the chips are down.

That's true. We can probably file them next to Gra under "not enough presense in the writing".

16 hours ago, BrightBow said:

But framing is also really important. Here the focus is on the tragedy of it all. How the king of Orleans is this broken old man who is about to lose the only remaining family that he still has. At the end of the day he only hands over the reigns to Marth because there is no one else.
Minerva took the failure of her reign clearly personal as well. I mean, she became a nun for crying out loud. Specifically working under Lena as well. Devoting yourself to faith is one of those classic ways to show someone is struggling to make sense of what they went through.

Well, it's also the context that all the local rulers conveniently happen to have good reasons to abdicate in Marth's favour. It's true that the scenario leading to Sheema trusting Marth is far better represented in gameplay than Corrin's deathless% speedrun through the war, but I still find it a bit too convenient how she and the other rulers (King Orleans, Minerva, eventually Nyna) immediately go to "here, have my country".

17 hours ago, BrightBow said:

S1ngMgf.png

17 hours ago, BrightBow said:

bors.png wendy.png

Well, Bors's armour in the artwork I would call a greyish yellow, while it's more of a yellow with an orange tint in the ingame portrait. Wendy goes from reddish orange to pink in her ingame portrait, which, to me at least, is a bigger difference.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

S1ngMgf.png

(Well, at least she has surprisingly good stats in Book 2, especially compared to the scrub joining on this map)

--

Speaking of this map: God, it's annoying. Small groups of enemies with 3-10 range are fine, but Kaga really goes overboard here. And if you try to snipe some of the ones closer to the mountain range, all your own having 15-20% crit means that you can't rely on them not opening themselves up to more enemies with a crit. I'm very tempted to just warp in Tiki in Mage Dragon form (and maybe Bantu with a Pure Water / Barrier boost for good measure).

8 hours ago, ping said:

That's true. We can probably file them next to Gra under "not enough presense in the writing".

Well, it's also the context that all the local rulers conveniently happen to have good reasons to abdicate in Marth's favour. It's true that the scenario leading to Sheema trusting Marth is far better represented in gameplay than Corrin's deathless% speedrun through the war, but I still find it a bit too convenient how she and the other rulers (King Orleans, Minerva, eventually Nyna) immediately go to "here, have my country".

S1ngMgf.png

Well, Bors's armour in the artwork I would call a greyish yellow, while it's more of a yellow with an orange tint in the ingame portrait. Wendy goes from reddish orange to pink in her ingame portrait, which, to me at least, is a bigger difference.

S1ngMgf.png

(Well, at least she has surprisingly good stats in Book 2, especially compared to the scrub joining on this map)

--

Speaking of this map: God, it's annoying. Small groups of enemies with 3-10 range are fine, but Kaga really goes overboard here. And if you try to snipe some of the ones closer to the mountain range, all your own having 15-20% crit means that you can't rely on them not opening themselves up to more enemies with a crit. I'm very tempted to just warp in Tiki in Mage Dragon form (and maybe Bantu with a Pure Water / Barrier boost for good measure).

Save your warp. Divine Dragon Tiki can fly and is probably invincible anyway.

18 hours ago, Jotari said:

Save your warp. Divine Dragon Tiki can fly and is probably invincible anyway.

She's quite frail in that form, actually - 14 Def, 11 Res. That said, I think Mage Dragon Tiki wouldn't be bulletproof, either, since the enemy Paladins all have more than 2 AS and some of them have 26 Atk.

It's one of these situations where Tiki's crit rate makes a play that should be beautiful into a RNG fest:

hjs68qQ.png

Tiki can one-shot a Ballista from the marked tile, while also killing the three Mages on enemy phase. With a fresh Barrier boost, she only takes 1 dmg from the Mages, and there's only one adjacent Plains tile for a Paladin to attack her from, so this should be all great! But, of course, she has a 19% chance of crit-killing one Paladin, which opens her up to a second one's attack, and if she gets hit three times by the Palas, she's down to 4 HP, which means that she's very likely to die from the mages plus a Ballista shot.

Guess what has happened three times out of three attempts thus far. 19% my arse. Bloody annoying map.

FE3 Book 2 Chapter 19: The Final Battle

Spoiler

zHRDUEV.png

Archanea's holy capital of Pales is currently in the middle of a mysterious silence. There was a rebellion in Archanea, led by the paladin Midia, which resulted in many skilled knights being defeated and captured. Even so, Archanea still had double Altea's army strength to arm the streets of Pales with. It has almost been a whole year since the Grustian Expedition. Now, the last decisive battle, which will decide the fate of the two countries, is finally about to begin.

THMpsw7.png: "I should have expected no less from Archanea. They have such a powerful army. We won't be able to get close so easily."
5LmJEnD.png: "Hardin is gambling everything on this one battle, and he appears to have gathered the entire army of Archanea here. But, any knights with a conscience already joined the coup and have nearly all been executed. All that remains are just weak mercenaries, so you don't need to fear them. Right now, many people's hearts have already swayed from Hardin, and the citizens welcome us as their liberation army. This should give us confidence like no other. Anyway, this is the last battle. Although it might take time, please take care while advancing."
THMpsw7.png: "I understand. Let's go Jagen. I am worried about Midia."

Beating a dead horse, but "I'm worried about this one person in this battle against the dragon apocalypse" is very non-ShadowDragon of you, Marthipan.

R20AcMw.png

As I said, I don't like this map very much. It's recycled from Book 1 and it's not a particularly epic set of enemies, but to make up for that, it's really quite annoying. Namely, seven Ballisticians and three Swarm Bishops (two of the Bishops have Fortify staves instead) make the approach a right pain in the butt, especially because while you can check movement ranges, attack ranges are still something you have to count manually, for 3-10 weapons anyway.

The long-range enemies don't even work together with the Paladins, so they really are mostly there to annoy you while you're walking northeast. The Paladins only start moving once you start looping around the mountain and go westward again, so the Ballistae and Swarms don't participate in the actual fight.

rNR9QY6.png

The boss is one-roundable by Jubelo.

7ixEUp2.png__LTN3GrM.png

The generic Paladins are more threatening because of their high movement and (slight) doubling potential.

77824Yp.png

First order of the day is to send Marth to the village, where he'll recruit Roshea. Between the Boots and a dance, he can do that without really falling behind the bulk of the group.

80BuHEY.png__9lKIaB7.png

A few of the long-range enemies can be picked off safely by flyers. First a Bishop...

NdWkmd4.png

...then two Ballisticians. With her capped Str, Catria can one-shot them with a Javelin, which makes this quite save.

ZKSpiAW.png__3TxhcfB.png

Less safe, as I said in my previous post, is this part. Tiki gets doubled for big damage by the Paladins, so if she gets a crit on enemy phase, she's likely to be killed as a result. But as I see it, this is some risk on the first two turns in order to make the rest of the map more palatable, and Tiki finally didn't hit the 19% crit on the fourth attempt.

o1IWihh.png__qSJDxff.png

By contrast, Catria decides to crit-kill two Knights and a Paladin with a Javelin...

zE3yPR6.png

...and still be pretty healthy at the end of things despite getting doubled by the Pala because she's using a Javelin. I think she might be a tad OP.

JsVwNl4.png

An unintended, but welcome side effect: She draws all the Paladins towards her, which allows Tiki to safely eat another Ballistician.

OTcTWGY.png

Meanwhile, Marth has reached the village and recruited Roshea.

OTtep3T.png: "Prince Marth, I am Roshea of the Aurelian Knights. I have King Aurelis's permission to come here, and am awaiting your highness' orders. I am truly sorry for the battle at the pass. To apologise to you, I will join and fight alongside your army. Marth, please watch over me!"

I don't know how intentional this is, but I kinda like how Roshe first gives a formal speech and, once these formalities are done, talks to Marth in a more friend-like tone. Marth, as he's presented in Book 2, would've been an approachable commander, so this seems fitting.

sjLkQwz.png

[HP 80% | Str 40% | Skl 50% | Spd 40% | Lck 50% | WLv 50% | Def 30%]

Unfortunately, Roshea is pretty disappointing as a unit at this point. His only redeeming feature is a good HP base, which on our team only Marth and Catria (and the transformed dragons, of course) beat. But with only 11 Def, he still isn't that bulky, and all the other stats are really not adequade for a unit joining in what's potentially the penultimate chapter.

R0kITNv.png

Here's the big clash between the forces of Akaneia and Altea!

w043aBQ.png

Altea Gra wins.

JInkexF.png

I admittedly had some crit luck (including Catria removing one Paladin earlier), but it's still rather telling that the big epic fight is just Sheeda fighting two enemies on EP, and then a quick PP clean-up.

EI4fJdo.png

And cleaning up the long-range enemies without any regular enemies around is an easy task, too. Now, in New Mystery, this is still a rather scary task, since reinforcements on this map are pretty brutal. And they are in Old Mystery, too - but the zone to trigger them is really small. Basically just a 5x5 square around the castle with the boss.

Speaking of the boss...

2HAIYz8.png__vOKGvle.png__1fqJV17.png

...this was supposed to be a StarSphere/Parthia kill for Warren, but Tiki has other plans. Oh well.

iEDmwmV.png

Eight turns overall. Eh, 4.27 on a scale between 1 and Murdock's map.

32Yzvdc.png: "Oh, Lord Marth. I've been waiting for you."
THMpsw7.png: "Boah!? You've suffered a grave wound... What happened?"
32Yzvdc.png: "Mmm... It was truly frightening... I suppose the Archanean royal family is indeed under a curse. You should know about Hardin and Nyna's marriage, two years ago. To restore Archanea, a king was required, and only two people were suitable. King Aurelis's younger brother, Hardin, and Altea's Prince Marth, you... Those were the choices, and we pleaded for Nyna to make the final decision. Originally, she wanted to wait a while longer, but we begged for her to make up her mind immediately. In the end she said that choosing Prince Marth as her husband would hurt Princess Caeda, so she finally decided on Hardin."
THMpsw7.png: "Wait a second, wasn't that a little harsh on Nyna? I understand that Archanea needed a king, but Nyna, she already..."

Oh, now you remember.

32Yzvdc.png: "You are referring to Grust's Lord Camus? But that would be unspeakable... Unthinkable in fact. Princess Nyna was the sole successor of the royal bloodline of Archanea. I felt bad as well, but for this country we had no other choice. However, Lord Hardin was very happy. Compared to ascending Archanea's throne, he seemed happier about the fact that Nyna chose him for her husband."
THMpsw7.png: "I also understand Hardin's feelings. He could sacrifice his own life for Nyna. But, did he know about Camus? If he did, I don't believe he would be so happy."
32Yzvdc.png: "Mmm... Of couse we kept that a secred, and we also persuaded Nyna to hide it as best as she could. But, Lord Hardin was a very sensitive man. He quickly found out that Nyna's heart had no place for him. He felt very painful... He locked himself in his room, and didn't allow anybody to see him. Taking advantage of his broken heart, Gharnef appeared. He took on the guise of a merchant to approach Hardin, and showed him the Darksphere. The distraught Hardin was quickly consumed by the Sphere. From that day on, he completely changed. It was because I was only focused on restoring this country that I committed such a horrendous mistake. Please, forgive me, Prince Marth..."
THMpsw7.png: "I can't believe all that happened. ..... Where is Nyna now?"
32Yzvdc.png: "When Hardin discovered that she had taken the Emblem shield, he had her confined in her room. After that, she would still communicate in secret with me. However, Hardin found out and then he wounded me. He also handed Nyna over to Gharnef."
THMpsw7.png: "Gharnef...!?"
32Yzvdc.png: "Mmm... Gharnef had always wanted to take Nyna. He said that the resurrection of the shadow dragon required the blood of noble clerics... And so... He took Nyna... To use her as a live sacrifice... Lord Marth, I'm already done for. I will give my Thoron and Physic to you. I beg of you, please rescue Nyna. Even if Archanea is destroyed it no longer matters... I only wish for Nyna to be safe..."

So this does address how King Orleans still got messages from Hardin.

And remember, kids: When forced into a loveless marriage, honesty is key!

The Team:

Lv. 	   HP Str Skl Spd Lck WLv Def Res  +XP
Marth	20.--	   41  17  18  17  20  12  17   1  +241
Matthis	17/5.71	   30  17  20  18   9  20  15   8  +42	(+5 Skl, +5 Lck)
Arran	*/11.18	   23  11  12  13   4  11  12   6  --
Sirius	*/10.99	   31  15  13  17   4  16  12   7  --

Roshea	*/8.32	   36  12   8  10   3   8  11   6  +32	(base)
Catria	19/7.76	   41  20  20  20  11  20  20   0  +278
Caeda	19/3.85	   28  17  20  23* 20  20  19   3  +160
Sheema	*/3.10	   35  17   5  12   6  14  18   4  +125	(+7 HP, +4 Str, +5 Spd)

Julian	15.30	   26  14  13  20  15  11  10   1  --
Warren	17/5.32	   36  14  18  17   5  13  12   4  +170
Bantu	18.17	   25   8  17  10   4   3   7   3  +55	(+7 HP, +10 Skl)
Tiki	17.19	   21  10  10  13  19  10   5  11  +332

Jubelo	20/10.31   28  20  12  20  18  20   9   9  +105
Wendell	*/14.51	   29   9  10  13   8  17   5   7  +14  (+4 Str)
Yuliya	16/3.42	   21  12  12  16  18  17   4   8  +74
Phina	11.50	   19   7   9  19  16   9   4   0  +80

1 hour ago, ping said:

The Final Battle

There it is. The last, and final, battle of the game.

1 hour ago, ping said:

R20AcMw.png

It's only hitting me now, but why does this map look so weird in this version? Knorda Market is propped up on a perfectly square hill, the levels of which are completely fucked (so apparently it's ground level up top, but at the bottom and the sides it's higher up, and then there's just a pair of trees on the left breaking the hill entirely), the ground on the hill looks corrupted, the castle area is partially surrounded by a jarring, broken up fence that doesn't look like it fits with the rest of the tileset - heck, the tile breaking up the fence doesn't even look like it was intentionally put there, it breaks the path - and the lack of forests in the canyon makes the map feel much emptier.

I don't understand why they'd do any of these things. What happened here?

1 hour ago, ping said:

rNR9QY6.png

The boss is one-roundable by Jubelo.

There he is. The last, and final, boss of the game.

1 hour ago, ping said:

sjLkQwz.png

[HP 80% | Str 40% | Skl 50% | Spd 40% | Lck 50% | WLv 50% | Def 30%]

Unfortunately, Roshea is pretty disappointing as a unit at this point. His only redeeming feature is a good HP base, which on our team only Marth and Catria (and the transformed dragons, of course) beat. But with only 11 Def, he still isn't that bulky, and all the other stats are really not adequade for a unit joining in what's potentially the penultimate chapter.

He's worse than Abel all those chapters ago. Well, it's nice to see that the Wolfguard being pathetic wasn't strictly an adaptation goof. In this particular case, they were being quite faithful indeed!

1 hour ago, ping said:

And remember, kids: When forced into a loveless marriage, honesty is key!

All of this could've been avoided if Nyna and Hardin just communicated.

...And, of course, if Boah hadn't been an asshole and forced the marriage. It's all your fault, cool mustache hatman. I'm willing to forgive based on the mustache and hat.

15 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's only hitting me now, but why does this map look so weird in this version? Knorda Market is propped up on a perfectly square hill, the levels of which are completely fucked (so apparently it's ground level up top, but at the bottom and the sides it's higher up, and then there's just a pair of trees on the left breaking the hill entirely), the ground on the hill looks corrupted, the castle area is partially surrounded by a jarring, broken up fence that doesn't look like it fits with the rest of the tileset - heck, the tile breaking up the fence doesn't even look like it was intentionally put there, it breaks the path - and the lack of forests in the canyon makes the map feel much emptier.

Now that you said that, I was worried that I might have made some mistake stitching up the map from my screenshots... but no, the village just looks fucky at the northern end in particular.

The "cliff" tiles around the village function as an unsurmountable fence, which makes it odd that they didn't use the, y'know, fence tiles already present on the map instead. As is... yeah, it looks really weird even to my aesthetically inept eyes.

21 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

He's worse than Abel all those chapters ago. Well, it's nice to see that the Wolfguard being pathetic wasn't strictly an adaptation goof. In this particular case, they were being quite faithful indeed!

It's strange that Roshe was the only member of the Wolfguard that was buffed in Book 1, almost to a point where he seemed competitive with Hardin, only to get completely shafted in Book 2. And it's not like the game as a whole is shy about granting you endgame-ready units, as Abel and Samson (and Minerva, even earlier (not to mention Palla)) have shown.

24 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

All of this could've been avoided if Nyna and Hardin just communicated.

...And, of course, if Boah hadn't been an asshole and forced the marriage. It's all your fault, cool mustache hatman. I'm willing to forgive based on the mustache and hat.

I said this before, though I don't know if in this thread, but I think that a marriage between Nyna and Marth would've "worked", too, with both of them fully aware about the entirely political nature of the arrangement. Although, since we've discussed the possibility of Darth Marth earlier, maybe this would've resulted in Evil Sheeda....

Yeah I think we can confirm Boah is responsible for getting that letter out. And if we're prepared to accept long term injuries like Batou in Genealogy, we can even deduce that Boah was specifically injured because of the actions of King Aurelius in the pass.

Another interesting note about this map, it has Knorda Market on it. And who do we know that lives in Knorda Market? Why Anna and Jake of course. Yeah, Anna has a hometown, which is weird in retrospect given her multi dimensions nature she's grown to have. But wait, if I visit that one house Anna doesn't live there! Instead it's this little girl. The original Anna sister?

On 2/10/2024 at 5:30 PM, BrightBow said:

bors.png wendy.png

Bors totally showed up to school picture day wearing the same color as the background that everyone has to share.

With Wendy, Amelia, and Meg, it's interesting that red was the default color for female armor knights in the pre-3DS era.

4 hours ago, ping said:

Archanea's holy capital of Pales is currently in the middle of a mysterious silence.

If I recall, there's been some debate over whether "Pales" was intended to be the name of the capital of Archanea... or instead, simply the word "Palace". Like, chapter 12 of SD is titled "The Ageless Palace", or in Japanese, アカネイア・パレス. "アカネイア" is "A-ka-ne-i-a", or "Akaenia", which became "Archanea". While "パレス" would transliterate as "Pa-re-su" or "Pa-le-su".

If that's the way they wrote "Pales" in the original game, my assumption is that they're just referring to the Palace. If I wanted to name a city "Pales" - assuming it's pronounced like "two pails of water" - I would've written it as "ペールズ", or "Pe-e-ru-zu". That said, I haven't played the game in its original Japanese (or at all LOL), so I can't say how they wrote "Pales" to begin with.

3 hours ago, ping said:

I said this before, though I don't know if in this thread, but I think that a marriage between Nyna and Marth would've "worked", too, with both of them fully aware about the entirely political nature of the arrangement. Although, since we've discussed the possibility of Darth Marth earlier, maybe this would've resulted in Evil Sheeda....

That woman has a flying mount and a forged Wing Spear. You do not wanna get between her and her beloved Marthipan.

5 hours ago, ping said:

He would have generic lv8 Paladin stats, except they actually lowered his defense. I guess he would be too OP with 13 defense.

5 hours ago, ping said:

And cleaning up the long-range enemies without any regular enemies around is an easy task, too. Now, in New Mystery, this is still a rather scary task, since reinforcements on this map are pretty brutal. And they are in Old Mystery, too - but the zone to trigger them is really small. Basically just a 5x5 square around the castle with the boss.

At least here you can circumvent them in multiple ways if you actually do know they are coming. It's still cheap and bad of course. But I can't exactly overlook a remake not just copying the bad thing but going out of it's way to make it even worse.

19 hours ago, Jotari said:

Another interesting note about this map, it has Knorda Market on it. And who do we know that lives in Knorda Market? Why Anna and Jake of course. Yeah, Anna has a hometown, which is weird in retrospect given her multi dimensions nature she's grown to have. But wait, if I visit that one house Anna doesn't live there! Instead it's this little girl. The original Anna sister?

I so much would've preferred if Anna would just pop up in all the games without any further elaboration, and especially without any explaination that includes "multi-___". I really can't stand it when separate settings are forced together into some ~multiverse~ for no bloody reason. Why does every fucking franchise need to have this overarching "one-ness"? Let a self-contained story remain self-contained, for fuck's sake. You gain nothing from some vague "ooo, but everything is connected somehow" BS. [/rant]

16 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

If I recall, there's been some debate over whether "Pales" was intended to be the name of the capital of Archanea... or instead, simply the word "Palace". Like, chapter 12 of SD is titled "The Ageless Palace", or in Japanese, アカネイア・パレス. "アカネイア" is "A-ka-ne-i-a", or "Akaenia", which became "Archanea". While "パレス" would transliterate as "Pa-re-su" or "Pa-le-su".

If that's the way they wrote "Pales" in the original game, my assumption is that they're just referring to the Palace. If I wanted to name a city "Pales" - assuming it's pronounced like "two pails of water" - I would've written it as "ペールズ", or "Pe-e-ru-zu". That said, I haven't played the game in its original Japanese (or at all LOL), so I can't say how they wrote "Pales" to begin with.

The .org wiki has a short paragraph about this:

The term パレス Palace is used to refer to a city in Japanese, but the English localization interpreted as referring to the building specifically, hence the localization of "The Palace". When necessary to refer to the building, the terms パレス城 Palace Castle, or sometimes パレスの王宮 Palace of Palace, are used.

Other than 王都パレス the royal capital of Palace, terms used to refer to the city are 聖都パレス Palace, the holy capital and 黄金の都パレス Palace, the golden capital.

パレス has traditionally been translated as "Pales" (a Roman deity) in fan translations, and the term can indeed either be a transcription of the English word "palace" or a transcription of the name of the Roman deity "Pales" (along with an asteroid named after the deity, 49 Pales).

I was wondering about that when playing, too - if I read "Pales" in an English text, I'd assume that it's pronounced "Pails", but as a German speaker, "Pah-less" sounds perfectly fine, too.

16 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

That woman has a flying mount and a forged Wing Spear. You do not wanna get between her and her beloved Marthipan.

Not to mention her superpower of persuasion. Who she couldn't one-round, she would simply recruit over to the red team.

15 hours ago, BrightBow said:

He would have generic lv8 Paladin stats, except they actually lowered his defense. I guess he would be too OP with 13 defense.

I have the Unpopular Opinion (tm) that ambush spawns can be done "right", if the player is given a proper warning and it is reasonably obvious where they will appear. But I feel like the designers on New Mystery saw the Save Point feature and decided that those would be enough justification to abandon all restraint when it comes to "Gotcha!" difficulty. I like that game, but it's probably the most punishing game in the series for players that don't have FEWoD open.

(and even then, FEWoD only has reinforcements for normal and lunatic difficulties :/ )

48 minutes ago, ping said:

I so much would've preferred if Anna would just pop up in all the games without any further elaboration, and especially without any explaination that includes "multi-___".

It's less the addition of an FE multi-v that bothered me, and more the invention of MAnnaom (criticize as you wish my fusion of her name and that of the demon associated with the Deadly Sin of Greed). That wasn't what she was before, at all.

On 2/11/2024 at 10:42 AM, ping said:

but I still find it a bit too convenient how she and the other rulers (King Orleans, Minerva, eventually Nyna) immediately go to "here, have my country".

Nyna doesn't seem infeasible, if she is that given to lamentations of Hardin and not being able to have Cammy. And Orleans... well maybe he should've been looking down the charts for the nearest cousin instead. Minerva is the big oddity. And nobody cares about the Grust kiddos.

...I will say that I did read of one instance of a peaceful surrender of a kingdom to a non-relative. The last king of the Kingdom of Pergamon died in 133 BC, and being childless, his last will passed on his sizable Anatolian kingdom to Pergamon's longstanding ally, the Roman Republic. A little bloodshed against a pretender to the Pergamese throne, but otherwise it was entirely peaceful, and Rome supposedly wasn't even like sharks in the bloody water or vultures in the sky just waiting to conquer Pergamon either.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

4 hours ago, ping said:

The .org wiki has a short paragraph about this:

The term パレス Palace is used to refer to a city in Japanese, but the English localization interpreted as referring to the building specifically, hence the localization of "The Palace". When necessary to refer to the building, the terms パレス城 Palace Castle, or sometimes パレスの王宮 Palace of Palace, are used.

Other than 王都パレス the royal capital of Palace, terms used to refer to the city are 聖都パレス Palace, the holy capital and 黄金の都パレス Palace, the golden capital.

パレス has traditionally been translated as "Pales" (a Roman deity) in fan translations, and the term can indeed either be a transcription of the English word "palace" or a transcription of the name of the Roman deity "Pales" (along with an asteroid named after the deity, 49 Pales).

I was wondering about that when playing, too - if I read "Pales" in an English text, I'd assume that it's pronounced "Pails", but as a German speaker, "Pah-less" sounds perfectly fine, too.

Interesting, good to know. I didn't know the kanji for "castle" or "palace", so I wouldn't have necessarily picked up on that. At the same time, when we see a chapter titled 

21 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

アカネイア・パレス

It's no surprise that パレス was interpreted as "Palace" by fan localizers. Incidentally, if we ever get a formal localization of the city's name, I'm hoping for "Pallas". That would keep the Greco-Roman theming - as "Pallas" is a title for Athena, among other meanings - while also having a more intuitive pronunciation.

4 hours ago, ping said:

Not to mention her superpower of persuasion. Who she couldn't one-round, she would simply recruit over to the red team.

"Sure! I was tired of being red anyway."

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Nyna doesn't seem infeasible, if she is that given to lamentations of Hardin and not being able to have Cammy. And Orleans... well maybe he should've been looking down the charts for the nearest cousin instead. Minerva is the big oddity. And nobody cares about the Grust kiddos.

Crazy how we had two games about the dangers of centralizing political power in the hands of the few, and they follow it up by... centralizing power in the hands of one. But it's okay, Marth's a good guy, right? Completely unlike Hardin, who was... a good guy... before the Darksphere corrupted him. Hmph.

Archanea deserves whatever catastrophe befalls it under Marth's successors.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It's less the addition of an FE multi-v that bothered me, and more the invention of MAnnaom (criticize as you wish my fusion of her name and that of the demon associated with the Deadly Sin of Greed). That wasn't what she was before, at all.

...I will say that I did read of one instance of a peaceful surrender of a kingdom to a non-relative. The last king of the Kingdom of Pergamon died in 133 BC, and being childless, his last will passed on his sizable Anatolian kingdom to Pergamon's longstanding ally, the Roman Republic. A little bloodshed against a pretender to the Pergamese throne, but otherwise it was entirely peaceful, and Rome supposedly wasn't even like sharks in the bloody water or vultures in the sky just waiting to conquer Pergamon either.

I'm not sure the Grust kids ever actually do hand their kingdom over to Marth. Their endings only mention them studying, not becoming monarchs or anything, but they also never say they're handing their kingdom to Marth or anything. In fact, Marth just never speaks to them directly at all despite his drive to save them. The only thing suggesting he ever gains direct political control of Grust (and not just massive indirect control by basically raising the remaining monarchs in his house) is the perfect ending timeline in Old Mystery which says Marth rules the world. But if we're to take that literally it means we need to explain some way got him to eventually gain direct control of Dolhr, Khadein and Pyrathi too. And then that Marth sequel where Alm and whomever rules Jugdral hand their continents over to him too.

23 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Interesting, good to know. I didn't know the kanji for "castle" or "palace", so I wouldn't have necessarily picked up on that. At the same time, when we see a chapter titled 

It's no surprise that パレス was interpreted as "Palace" by fan localizers. Incidentally, if we ever get a formal localization of the city's name, I'm hoping for "Pallas". That would keep the Greco-Roman theming - as "Pallas" is a title for Athena, among other meanings - while also having a more intuitive pronunciation.

I like the name Millennium Court which the localizers seem to have settled on. Granted I think that phrase is in the Japanese too since I think I've read a fan translation mentioning the thousand year palace, though I'm not sure how or if that related to Pales in Japanese. Though it is a bit weird considering Archanea is less than a thousand years old, but I guess there must have been something there before for Adrah to unite.

23 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Crazy how we had two games about the dangers of centralizing political power in the hands of the few, and they follow it up by... centralizing power in the hands of one. But it's okay, Marth's a good guy, right? Completely unlike Hardin, who was... a good guy... before the Darksphere corrupted him. Hmph.

Marth isn't just good, he's so uber amazing good that anyone who comes into contact with his genes will be good as well.

Edited by Jotari

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

I'm not sure the Grust kids ever actually do hand their kingdom over to Marth. Their endings only mention them studying, not becoming monarchs or anything, but they also never say they're handing their kingdom to Marth or anything. In fact, Marth just never speaks to them directly at all despite his drive to save them. The only thing suggesting he ever gains direct political control of Grust (and not just massive indirect control by basically raising the remaining monarchs in his house) is the perfect ending timeline in Old Mystery which says Marth rules the world. But if we're to take that literally it means we need to explain some way got him to eventually gain direct control of Dolhr, Khadein and Pyrathi too. And then that Marth sequel where Alm and whomever rules Jugdral hand their continents over to him too.

The seven kingdoms were
unified by Prince Marth.
The united Kingdom of
Akaneia was established
and peace reigned.

-Taken from SF main site.

1. Altea
  2. Gra
  3. Aurelis
  4. Macedon
  5. Archanea
  6. Talys
  7. Grust

As for...

and decides to rule over the world.

...let me ask you this- did Rome rule "the world"? Literally, as in the "entire Earth"? No. None of the Americas or Oceania, only North Africa, only some of Southwest Asia, no Ireland or Scotland or much of central, eastern and Northern Europe. -But did Rome prosperously rule such a vast territory in a premodern world with greater limits on transportation/communication/governance, that you could call it "the world" in a nonliteral sense? Yes.

Even in the absence of acquiring Valentia (or India for Rome), it still would've been reasonably majestic to anyone living on the Archanean continent who has an appreciation for empire. And it's not like Marth could seriously stood a chance at taking/governing Valentia anyhow. Jugdral meanwhile is probably on the other side of the planet, inventing flintlock rifles, yet ignoring the top part of the tech tree that would let them cross oceans and discover Archanea.

-Though this doesn't matter very much if New Mystery replaces Old as "canon", with the ditching of the timeline and this line of text.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Marth just never speaks to them directly at all despite his drive to save them.

Hence the timing of Caeda flying in about the fall of Altea. The Grust twins start the map playable, their deaths don't trigger a game over for this one chapter, and they exist in an era where the notion of "retreat upon death" was not yet an idea whatsoever.

Marth couldn't have a conversation with the Grust twins, because there was nothing keeping them from potentially being dead. Thus, the burst of big bad news was necessary, to distract Marth and the player from thinking about the twins and whatever fate they met, at the end of the chapter.

...Permadeath may be another reason why Minerva, Sheena, Nyna, and the twins, all cede their thrones. Playable + the total lack of retreating in early FE, meant there was no guarantee of their survivals. And maybe IS didn't want to/didn't have time to code/write up some alternate endings depending on life and death of a few characters.

5 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

It probably wouldn't be a singular event that destroys the entire United Kingdom of Archanea (UKA) overnight -or so I would think. My sheer speculative guess would be...

• Natural disasters, epidemics, crop failures, leading to depopulation and peasant revolts. One of those revolts in one territory would become inextinguishable, starting a decades-long dissolution of empire.
  • Perhaps charismatic rebellious leadership would be to blame for the success of such a first rebellion. Aided by the local elite feeling like their empire is biased against them or that they could enrich themselves more if independent.
    • It's slim, but I wouldn't rule out the provincial nobility in Grust, Gra, or Macedon -in case the twins/Sheena/M&M had children, choosing a descendant of their former royal people to serve as their new monarch.
      • Although early modern, the rebellious Portuguese elite chose to replace the Spanish Habsburgs with the House of Braganza, which had been in genealogical succession considerations when the House of Avis had died out a few generations earlier.
  • The United Kingdom of Archanea's military response would be impeded by a decadent central government used to peace. And also a sharp decline in tax revenues for governing/the military and manpower available for conscription, owning to the aforementioned deeply destabilizing depopulation.

As for which province goes first (Assuming Marth moved to Archanea/Pales. If he and his successors continued to govern from Altea, the situation seriously changes. ...Actually, Jubelo's ending suggests Marth at least maintained his court in Altea.😅)...

• The Marthian Dynasty (and successor families in case the Mars Clan got overthrown but the usurpers kept the United Kingdom of Archanea) would probably cling on to the lesser Kingdom of Archanea to the end of its existence.
    • If Marus and descendants rules from Altea, then Archanea could break away very soon. It has wealth, it has status. One second-in-line prince could very readily try stealing it from his elder brother, starting a UKA civil war. A royal internecine struggle bound to hasten the UKA's decline if it isn't squashed right away.
  • Aurelis shares a land connection with lesser Archanea. I can see it staying in the UKA until very late. -Unless we get migrating barbarians invading from the wilderness of the untamed northeast.
    • Rule from Altea... chance of early breakaway goes up, not sure by how much.
  • Talys I can envision dropping out later, when the major damages have been inflicted elsewhere and the UKA is already dying.
    • Rule from Altea, much more likely. Who would seriously fight to maintain this backwater? And if Archanea goes, Talys is lost with it.
  • Gra and Altea could possibly stay or go together, they're so close I could envision a rebel leader taking both islands. Yet, as the place where the Mar Mar lineage began, I can see some of Marsmagne's history-aware descendants fighting tooth & nail to hold onto Altea (and Gra by natural strategic implication).
    • Rule from Altea, obviously these then stay in the UKA to its final days.
  • Macedon or Grust, one of these will get their independence first. But which?
    • Grust is further away, it's the most logical pick. Distant determines timeline of downfall, simple reasoning.
      • Rule from Altea, rate of first succession greatly declines. As Altea is much closer to Grust. Given how much fighting it did in the War of the Shadows, an Altea-centered UKA would possibly be able use Grust again for continent-wide coercive manpower.
    • Macedon has wyverns however, that seems like one serious advantage. -If the rebels could deny them to the UKA entirely.
      • Rule from Altea, I'd see Macedon's chances for first-to-independence staying about the same.

I put waaaaay too much thought into this.😆

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

47 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The seven kingdoms were
unified by Prince Marth.
The united Kingdom of
Akaneia was established
and peace reigned.

-Taken from SF main site.

1. Altea
  2. Gra
  3. Aurelis
  4. Macedon
  5. Archanea
  6. Talys
  7. Grust

As for...

and decides to rule over the world.

...let me ask you this- did Rome rule "the world"? Literally, as in the "entire Earth"? No. None of the Americas or Oceania, only North Africa, only some of Southwest Asia, no Ireland or Scotland or much of central, eastern and Northern Europe. -But did Rome prosperously rule such a vast territory in a premodern world with greater limits on transportation/communication/governance, that you could call it "the world" in a nonliteral sense? Yes.

Even in the absence of acquiring Valentia (or India for Rome), it still would've been reasonably majestic to anyone living on the Archanean continent who has an appreciation for empire. And it's not like Marth could seriously stood a chance at taking/governing Valentia anyhow. Jugdral meanwhile is probably on the other side of the planet, inventing flintlock rifles, yet ignoring the top part of the tech tree that would let them cross oceans and discover Archanea.

-Though this doesn't matter very much if New Mystery replaces Old as "canon", with the ditching of the timeline and this line of text.

Maybe my point was lost a bit but I was trying to point out the absurdity on taking it literally by bringing up the other continents. Though I did miss the specific reference to the seven kingdoms being united.

Hence the timing of Caeda flying in about the fall of Altea. The Grust twins start the map playable, their deaths don't trigger a game over for this one chapter, and they exist in an era where the notion of "retreat upon death" was not yet an idea whatsoever.

Marth couldn't have a conversation with the Grust twins, because there was nothing keeping them from potentially being dead. Thus, the burst of big bad news was necessary, to distract Marth and the player from thinking about the twins and whatever fate they met, at the end of the chapter.

...Permadeath may be another reason why Minerva, Sheena, Nyna, and the twins, all cede their thrones. Playable + the total lack of retreating in early FE, meant there was no guarantee of their survivals. And maybe IS didn't want to/didn't have time to code/write up some alternate endings depending on life and death of a few characters.

Old Mystery existed in such an era, but there's little excuse for New Mystery. Shadow Dragon had tonnes of alternate conversations for if characters lived or died. They're not particularly massive plot changing dialogues and more just an acknowledgement, but they still absolutely could have had a scene where Marth reassured the Grust heirs and gives them hope for the future (by making them child soldiers) that just doesn't play if one or both of them are dead. Part of the fun of Shadow Dragon for me was hunting down every alternate conversations even to fill out the event recap menu.

It probably wouldn't be a singular event that destroys the entire United Kingdom of Archanea (UKA) overnight -or so I would think. My sheer speculative guess would be...

• Natural disasters, epidemics, crop failures, leading to depopulation and peasant revolts, and one of those revolts in some territory would become inextinguishable.
  • Perhaps charismatic rebellious leadership would be to blame for the success of such a rebellion. Aided by the local elite feeling like their empire is biased against them or that they could enrich themselves more if independent.
    • It's slim, but I wouldn't rule out the provincial nobility in Grust, Gra, or Macedon -in case the twins/Sheena/M&M had children, choosing a descendant of their former royal people to serve as their new monarch.
      • Although early modern, the rebellious Portuguese elite chose to replace the Spanish Habsburgs with the House of Braganza, which had been in genealogical succession considerations when the House of Avis had died out a few generations earlier.
  • The United Kingdom of Archanea's military response would be impeded by a decadent central government used to peace. And also a sharp decline in tax revenues for governing/the military and manpower available for conscription, owning to the aforementioned deeply destabilizing depopulation.

As for which province goes first (Assuming Marth moved to Archanea/Pales. If he and his successors continued to govern from Altea, the situation seriously changes. ...Actually, Jubelo's ending suggests Marth at least maintained his court in Altea.😅)...

• The Marthian Dynasty (and successor families in case the Mars Clan got overthrown but the usurpers kept the United Kingdom of Archanea) would probably cling on to the lesser Kingdom of Archanea to the end of its existence.
    • If Marus and descendants rules from Altea, then Archanea could break away very soon. It has wealth, it has status. One second-in-line prince could very readily try stealing it from his elder brother, starting a UKA civil war. A royal internecine struggle bound to hasten the UKA's decline if it isn't squashed right away.
  • Aurelis shares a land connection with lesser Archanea. I can see it staying in the UKA until very late. -Unless we get migrating barbarians invading from the wilderness of the untamed northeast.
    • Rule from Altea... chance of early breakaway goes up, not sure by how much.
  • Talys I can envision dropping out later, when the major damages have been inflicted elsewhere and the UKA is already dying.
    • Rule from Altea, much more likely. Who would seriously fight to maintain this backwater? And if Archanea goes, Talys is lost with it.
  • Gra and Altea could possibly stay or go together, they're so close I could envision a rebel leader taking both islands. Yet, as the place where the Mar Mar lineage began, I can see some of Marsmagne's history-aware descendants fighting tooth & nail to hold onto Altea (and Gra by natural strategic implication).
    • Rule from Altea, obviously these then stay in the UKA to its final days.
  • Macedon or Grust, one of these will get their independence first. But which?
    • Grust is further away, it's the most logical pick. Distant determines timeline of downfall, simple reasoning.
      • Rule from Altea, rate of first succession greatly declines. As Altea is much closer to Grust. Given how much fighting it did in the War of the Shadows, an Altea-centered UKA would possibly be able use Grust again for continent-wide coercive manpower.
    • Macedon has wyverns however, that seems like one serious advantage. -If the rebels could deny them to the UKA entirely.
      • Rule from Altea, I'd see Macedon's chances for first-to-independence staying about the same.

I put waaaaay too much thought into this.😆

Or Medeus just comes back to life again and ruins everyone's day (or worse, Grima wakes up and leaves Thabes).

14 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Honestly, assuming that "palace" is indeed a misunderstanding, that would make way more sense than the "deity of shepherds, flocks and livestock". Pallas Athena is even the patron goddess of Athens, which makes her seem like a very obvious reference point in hindsight, now that you mentioned it.

17 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well, she'd still have to convince everybody that this princeling from a backwater country makes a legitimate ruler for the Holy Kingdom of Akaneia. Of course, Marth would've received the throne as the Hero King, beloved by everybody, twice slayer of the Shadow Dragon (first time, he got better) - but how long until some ambitious noble would, ahem, discover that his father was Nyna's third cousin once removed? Which, of course, directly feeds into that next post of yours, as well as...

14 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

Or Medeus just comes back to life again and ruins everyone's day (or worse, Grima wakes up and leaves Thabes).

Hey, "AS LONG AS THERE IS EVIL IN THE HEARTS OF MAN"...

(New headcanon: Medeus keeps reviving every other year, so it becomes a royal tradition in Akaneia to visit Dolhr every year, Falchion in hand, to see if there's any draconic head for the current king to chop off)

46 minutes ago, ping said:

Well, she'd still have to convince everybody that this princeling from a backwater country makes a legitimate ruler for the Holy Kingdom of Akaneia. Of course, Marth would've received the throne as the Hero King, beloved by everybody, twice slayer of the Shadow Dragon (first time, he got better) - but how long until some ambitious noble would, ahem, discover that his father was Nyna's third cousin once removed? Which, of course, directly feeds into that next post of yours, as well as...

And, this unification happens basically overnight, with no preplanned unifying institutions. Under the leadership of a pure and nice guy.

Marth wouldn't be the kind to use boots & blades to enforce unity, so it'd have to be good governance that holds things together. But what new governing bodies does Marth create? How does he balance the representation and benefitting of the seven kingdom in said institutions? How much power do the old, individual kingdoms' assemblies of nobles and perhaps priests and burghers, retain? 

...Well, the Jin Dynasty of China began to suffer serious internal damages as soon as the former-Sima-Yan/then-Emperor-Wu its founder (ignoring his de facto grandfather, uncle, father's reigns) died. Charlemagne's Frankish Empire broke up in three under his grandsons. Alexander the Great's instant-empire was partitioned by his generals as soon as he died. -And Kaga would later have TearRing Saga's backstory legendary hero's unified realm shatter shortly after his death. So the United Kingdom of Archanea could very well be a flash in the Marthipan.😀 

38 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And, this unification happens basically overnight, with no preplanned unifying institutions. Under the leadership of a pure and nice guy.

Marth wouldn't be the kind to use boots & blades to enforce unity, so it'd have to be good governance that holds things together. But what new governing bodies does Marth create? How does he balance the representation and benefitting of the seven kingdom in said institutions? How much power do the old, individual kingdoms' assemblies of nobles and perhaps priests and burghers, retain? 

...Well, the Jin Dynasty of China began to suffer serious internal damages as soon as the former-Sima-Yan/then-Emperor-Wu its founder (ignoring his de facto grandfather, uncle, father's reigns) died. Charlemagne's Frankish Empire broke up in three under his grandsons. Alexander the Great's instant-empire was partitioned by his generals as soon as he died. -And Kaga would later have TearRing Saga's backstory legendary hero's unified realm shatter shortly after his death. So the United Kingdom of Archanea could very well be a flash in the Marthipan.😀 

Even in Archanea's own history, the country founded by the mighty hero Anri broke in two as soon as he died, and it wasn't even that big a nation relatively speaking!

Edited by Jotari