To Become an Elitist [Playlogs FE1-5] [currently playing: Thracia 776]

ping

9 minutes ago, Jotari said:

That's why you have Kris to do the heavy lifting. Those thirty or so units in the back half of the game are perfect for sacrificing their lives to ensure chapter goals are met. They might suck at killing things, but they have the universal benefit of being something the enemy has to attack.

Replacement units can do that too. And they never run out.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Replacement units can do that too. And they never run out.

New Mystery has replacement units. I'm not sure if anyone has ever genuinely slaughtered enough of their army to ever get them, but they exist.

Edited by Jotari

FE3 Book 2 Chapter 11: Anri's Way

Spoiler

JwDnkSY.png

Hidden under the sands is the ancient city of Thabes, as well as many buried treasures. The legends of this illusion city lured many men to the desert. However... Nobody was ever able to make it back. The sage once said...

Don't go near the death desert of Marmotord, because at there lies a city cursed by darkness.

nIqyFGH.png__4tZigUQ.png

5LmJEnD.png: "Barbarians of the Sand Clan and soaring dragons roam. The illusion town was within sight, but I could only remain where I was standing. ..."
THMpsw7.png: "Really...? So Anri once came here, and all alone as well..."
5LmJEnD.png: "That's right. King Anri began his travels here, to obtain the divine sword, Falchion. And that was so that he could rescue Princess Artemis... Although it will be long, I would like to describe the legend of Anri."

(music change)

5LmJEnD.png: "100 years ago... The ruler of this continent, the Holy Kingdom of Archanea, was destroyed by the dragon tribe. Humans were enslaved and lived each day in despair. Some people wielded weapons to fight back, but they couldn't defeat the dragon tribe, and many people died. Also, the humans' only hope, the Archanea royal family, was wiped out, and so the world lost all hope. However, at that time, at a small city named Altea. It was discovered that that the princess of Archanea was hiding there. The angered Dolhr Empire sent soldiers to Altea, aiming to capture the princess. That princess... Artemis was prepered to give up her own life to save the citizens. However the citizens of Altea swore that, even if they were completely annihilated, they would protect the princess.
5LmJEnD.png: "Knowing that the princess was still alive, the citizens of Pales gathered a liberation army, and continued the fight against the Dolhr Empire. The leader of the liberation army, Duke Cartas, fought with the royal shield, given to him by Artemis. As a result, he received enormous support. Thanks to his efforts, the war finally began to become in their favour. But then, the King of the Earth Dragons, Medeus, finally moved out. The dark breath of Earth Dragons possessed horrendous destructive power and had the effect of halving the enemy's strength. Under such a dire situation it was thought that Altea's resistance wasn't going to hold out.
5LmJEnD.png: "Then, at that time, a Sage appeared and told the people that at the Ice Dragon Shrine, to the distant north, was a sword blessed by the deities. With that sword, the Earth Dragons could be defeated, but it definitely wasn't an easy task to reach the temple..."
THMpsw7.png: "So Anri, to save his beloved Artemis, left on a journey to obtain the sword?"
5LmJEnD.png: "Yes, that's right. But I think that's enough for today. We still have a long road ahead of us..."

Holy exposition dump, Bat-Man.

I always found it interesting that Kaga's Akaneia doesn't have the time abyss of "2000 years ago, the status quo was established" that fantasy settings often seems to have. 100 years means that Anri's brother is Marth's great-grandfather or great-great-grandfather, i.e. somebody that his own father or at least grandfather would've known.

And as Ruben put it a week earlier: Kaga's "filthy traditional monarchist peepee [was] positively ecstatic" while writing this (rather young, in-universe) legend, that's for sure. Human civilisation is being oppressed by a bunch of evil dragon, who presumably eat one or two children per day and dragon... and the biggest concern is that if this one princess dies, the royal bloodline is no more. Yes. That is the biggest tragedy that could potentially come from all this.

ajnSGx1.png

So yeah, here's one of the worst FE desert maps that I've played. Gaiden's Archer Fortress is the worst, obviously, but this one might take #2? Or maybe #3, I really don't enjoy BlaBla's Living Legend, either.

Marked with circles (because I'm too lazy to draw the correct "+" shape) are the hidden item locations. Thieves are guaranteed to find these (as long as there's room in the inventory); everybody else has a Lck% chance, according to the main site.

6rZrmZj.png

The problem: Thieves have their movement cut in half like most other physical, non-mounted classes. Since there's no way to help them out except for the precious Rescue staff, they (and I did field both) have a lot of ground to cover. Slowly.

WKfYd73.png__Qi3qETI.png

New on the enemy side, I think, is the Barbarian class: Decent Str, surprisingly high HP/Def, but godawful accuracy and the 0 AS that axe-users tend to have. Importantly, they don't get slowed down by the desert, unlike the Hunters...

mOvZesn.png

...and the one Berserkr, which seems to be a Hero by another name. It's a good thing that he's slowed down to 3 tiles, too, since 26 Atk and 42 Crit is very fair and balanced.

rFmPweT.png__6YJCX49.png

And of course there's the Wyverns (or FlyingDrs, I suppose). Like in the remake, they have two more points of movement even than Paladins and Dracoknights, but their combat is less threatening. Sure, they two-shot literally everybody except Bantu, but since they have 0 AS, they also one-round literally nobody, either. As a point of trivia, the only characters that they would one-shot at base are Malicisheia, Yumina, and Feena, but these have all gained at least +1 HP by now.

Oh, the boss is just another generic Lv.1 FlyingDr with identical stats to the rest. Only thing worth mentioning is that he drops another Manual.

TEYnLLT.png__PevF0uY.png__N7EWfuW.png

Aaaaand the map has become even less interesting. Shame. As it turns out, no enemy moves before you step in their range. And these ranges do not overlap in interesting ways to prevent you from picking them off one by one (or two by two, if you're feeling spicy).

8OedUsV.png__vzapDnt.png

So I'll just sum up the rest of the chapter quickly. Right side of the map, Yubello (with Wendell healing him when he doesn't dodge) solos.

saXYM7S.png

He then turns left and one-rounds the Hero/Berserker, although that was not as reliable as I would've liked.

oC6TVFJ.png

Julian walks to the southwest very slowly and then turns north. Rickard stays more central and picks up some treasures there.

uuRABD2.png__ZYLSKGb.png

On turn 9, the map is cleared. No reinforcements, either.

QnkYykF.png__Fe3LNuu.png

Apart from grabbing free stuff, one of the Pegasi goes and grabs some half-priced stuff. A decent number of WyrmSlys and a couple Silver Swords and Bows - no Rapier, since Marth hasn't even used up the first one yet (and it's not like Phina is going to make good use of the second).

XskxUAA.png

To avoid having to move Julian and Rickard all over the map, other units try their luck finding some of the hidden treasure, too. The Silver Axe in the top right can actually only be found by flyers, I think, since that tower doesn't know how perspective works and blocks the path behind it.

qhdE4ll.png

Well, that could've been worse.

Still, really don't like this map. It's boring because enemies don't come at you, and it's annoying because of the low movement for Thieves and for Marth in particular.

jmaeyBF.png: "Marth!! It's been a long time, it's me Tiki! I really missed you."
THMpsw7.png: "Huh... Tiki!? You came here to meet us? That's right... You're with Gotoh right now. But, I haven't seen you for a while and you've grown. Have you been well?"
jmaeyBF.png: "Uh... I've been really lonely. You didn't come to visit me..."
THMpsw7.png: "I'm sorry... But, I hadn't forgotten about you, Tiki. I wanted to ask you to come to Altea, after things had settled down."
jmaeyBF.png: "Marth... ...I love you <3"

FNf1pxX.png

THMpsw7.png: "X... Xane!!!"
TYz0Huh.png: "Ah, I'm really sorry. I couldn't help it after seeing that serious expression on your face... Sorry, don't be angry. I was ordered, by Gotoh, to wait here for you. While I was waiting I got more and more angry, wondering why I had to do something so boring. So I thought I'd think of a prank to pull on you. But, my Tiki impression was pretty good wasn't it? Huh, what's with the anxious face? Okay, let's go. You want to meet Gotoh, right?"
THMpsw7.png: "Xane, how would you know Gotoh? Who are you?"
TYz0Huh.png: "Oh, that doesn't really matter. Well, don't just stand there. Follow me."

What a zany prankster.

The Team:

Lv. 	   HP Str Skl Spd Lck WLv Def Res  +XP
Marth	9.41	   28  10  10  12  11   9   9   0  --
Palla	14.14	   28  12  15  17   9  13  10   7  +40
Catria	16.25	   32  15  18  20  10  17  15   6  +196
Caeda	13.36	   24  11  14  20  17  16  12   6  +204

Julian	9.48	   22  10   9  16   9   8   7   0  --
Rickard	3.09	   18   6   3   9   1   6   3   0  --
Warren	14.24	   30  13  10  11   3  11   6   2  --
Phina	5.60	   18   2   6  13  12   4   4   0  +160

Wendell	*/9.69	   27   5   6  13   4  12   5   6  +56
Jubelo	18.25	   24  16   8  14  14  18   7   3  +284
Merric	12.14	   24   6   7  11   7  12   8   3  +150
Yuliya	12.06	   18   8   8  10  15  13   3   6  +102
  • Not sure why I didn't remember to field Minerva. I guess I just never scrolled down far enough when I did the battle preps some days ago? Oh well, the only character that didn't manage to do anything of use on this map was Warren, so this still was a decently effective team.
  • The stat booster shelf is filling up:
    • 2x SpeedRing, one of them will go to Sheema. Second one... Warren might still be the best recipient, I think.
    • 3x Manual, with no plans for any of them. Maybe Marth and Julian, so they can use the Master Sword right away.
    • 1x PowerRing. I think Wendell might call in his Old Man privileges.
    • 1x DracoShield. I might hold on to this for now. Maybe Arran or Matthis or Cecille, depending how they look after the Starshards are no more.
    • 1x SecretBook - maybe Banutu again? It's not like he's 100% accurate with only one.
    • 1x AngelRobe - I'll keep this one around in case Marth's HP doesn't cooperate. If it does, Tiki might appreciate the double effectiveness just as much as Bantu.
    • 1x Goddess. Matthis. Since he's semi-forced to be deployed on the last map, Sirius (who has the same 2 Lck as Matt) would be the better pick, but I know my audience.
    •  

39 minutes ago, ping said:

FE3 Book 2 Chapter 11: Anri's Way

Hide contents

JwDnkSY.png

Hidden under the sands is the ancient city of Thabes, as well as many buried treasures. The legends of this illusion city lured many men to the desert. However... Nobody was ever able to make it back. The sage once said...

Don't go near the death desert of Marmotord, because at there lies a city cursed by darkness.

nIqyFGH.png__4tZigUQ.png

5LmJEnD.png: "Barbarians of the Sand Clan and soaring dragons roam. The illusion town was within sight, but I could only remain where I was standing. ..."
THMpsw7.png: "Really...? So Anri once came here, and all alone as well..."
5LmJEnD.png: "That's right. King Anri began his travels here, to obtain the divine sword, Falchion. And that was so that he could rescue Princess Artemis... Although it will be long, I would like to describe the legend of Anri."

(music change)

5LmJEnD.png: "100 years ago... The ruler of this continent, the Holy Kingdom of Archanea, was destroyed by the dragon tribe. Humans were enslaved and lived each day in despair. Some people wielded weapons to fight back, but they couldn't defeat the dragon tribe, and many people died. Also, the humans' only hope, the Archanea royal family, was wiped out, and so the world lost all hope. However, at that time, at a small city named Altea. It was discovered that that the princess of Archanea was hiding there. The angered Dolhr Empire sent soldiers to Altea, aiming to capture the princess. That princess... Artemis was prepered to give up her own life to save the citizens. However the citizens of Altea swore that, even if they were completely annihilated, they would protect the princess.
5LmJEnD.png: "Knowing that the princess was still alive, the citizens of Pales gathered a liberation army, and continued the fight against the Dolhr Empire. The leader of the liberation army, Duke Cartas, fought with the royal shield, given to him by Artemis. As a result, he received enormous support. Thanks to his efforts, the war finally began to become in their favour. But then, the King of the Earth Dragons, Medeus, finally moved out. The dark breath of Earth Dragons possessed horrendous destructive power and had the effect of halving the enemy's strength. Under such a dire situation it was thought that Altea's resistance wasn't going to hold out.
5LmJEnD.png: "Then, at that time, a Sage appeared and told the people that at the Ice Dragon Shrine, to the distant north, was a sword blessed by the deities. With that sword, the Earth Dragons could be defeated, but it definitely wasn't an easy task to reach the temple..."
THMpsw7.png: "So Anri, to save his beloved Artemis, left on a journey to obtain the sword?"
5LmJEnD.png: "Yes, that's right. But I think that's enough for today. We still have a long road ahead of us..."

Holy exposition dump, Bat-Man.

I always found it interesting that Kaga's Akaneia doesn't have the time abyss of "2000 years ago, the status quo was established" that fantasy settings often seems to have. 100 years means that Anri's brother is Marth's great-grandfather or great-great-grandfather, i.e. somebody that his own father or at least grandfather would've known.

And as Ruben put it a week earlier: Kaga's "filthy traditional monarchist peepee [was] positively ecstatic" while writing this (rather young, in-universe) legend, that's for sure. Human civilisation is being oppressed by a bunch of evil dragon, who presumably eat one or two children per day and dragon... and the biggest concern is that if this one princess dies, the royal bloodline is no more. Yes. That is the biggest tragedy that could potentially come from all this.

ajnSGx1.png

So yeah, here's one of the worst FE desert maps that I've played. Gaiden's Archer Fortress is the worst, obviously, but this one might take #2? Or maybe #3, I really don't enjoy BlaBla's Living Legend, either.

Marked with circles (because I'm too lazy to draw the correct "+" shape) are the hidden item locations. Thieves are guaranteed to find these (as long as there's room in the inventory); everybody else has a Lck% chance, according to the main site.

6rZrmZj.png

The problem: Thieves have their movement cut in half like most other physical, non-mounted classes. Since there's no way to help them out except for the precious Rescue staff, they (and I did field both) have a lot of ground to cover. Slowly.

WKfYd73.png__Qi3qETI.png

New on the enemy side, I think, is the Barbarian class: Decent Str, surprisingly high HP/Def, but godawful accuracy and the 0 AS that axe-users tend to have. Importantly, they don't get slowed down by the desert, unlike the Hunters...

mOvZesn.png

...and the one Berserkr, which seems to be a Hero by another name. It's a good thing that he's slowed down to 3 tiles, too, since 26 Atk and 42 Crit is very fair and balanced.

rFmPweT.png__6YJCX49.png

And of course there's the Wyverns (or FlyingDrs, I suppose). Like in the remake, they have two more points of movement even than Paladins and Dracoknights, but their combat is less threatening. Sure, they two-shot literally everybody except Bantu, but since they have 0 AS, they also one-round literally nobody, either. As a point of trivia, the only characters that they would one-shot at base are Malicisheia, Yumina, and Feena, but these have all gained at least +1 HP by now.

Oh, the boss is just another generic Lv.1 FlyingDr with identical stats to the rest. Only thing worth mentioning is that he drops another Manual.

TEYnLLT.png__PevF0uY.png__N7EWfuW.png

Aaaaand the map has become even less interesting. Shame. As it turns out, no enemy moves before you step in their range. And these ranges do not overlap in interesting ways to prevent you from picking them off one by one (or two by two, if you're feeling spicy).

8OedUsV.png__vzapDnt.png

So I'll just sum up the rest of the chapter quickly. Right side of the map, Yubello (with Wendell healing him when he doesn't dodge) solos.

saXYM7S.png

He then turns left and one-rounds the Hero/Berserker, although that was not as reliable as I would've liked.

oC6TVFJ.png

Julian walks to the southwest very slowly and then turns north. Rickard stays more central and picks up some treasures there.

uuRABD2.png__ZYLSKGb.png

On turn 9, the map is cleared. No reinforcements, either.

QnkYykF.png__Fe3LNuu.png

Apart from grabbing free stuff, one of the Pegasi goes and grabs some half-priced stuff. A decent number of WyrmSlys and a couple Silver Swords and Bows - no Rapier, since Marth hasn't even used up the first one yet (and it's not like Phina is going to make good use of the second).

XskxUAA.png

To avoid having to move Julian and Rickard all over the map, other units try their luck finding some of the hidden treasure, too. The Silver Axe in the top right can actually only be found by flyers, I think, since that tower doesn't know how perspective works and blocks the path behind it.

qhdE4ll.png

Well, that could've been worse.

Still, really don't like this map. It's boring because enemies don't come at you, and it's annoying because of the low movement for Thieves and for Marth in particular.

jmaeyBF.png: "Marth!! It's been a long time, it's me Tiki! I really missed you."
THMpsw7.png: "Huh... Tiki!? You came here to meet us? That's right... You're with Gotoh right now. But, I haven't seen you for a while and you've grown. Have you been well?"
jmaeyBF.png: "Uh... I've been really lonely. You didn't come to visit me..."
THMpsw7.png: "I'm sorry... But, I hadn't forgotten about you, Tiki. I wanted to ask you to come to Altea, after things had settled down."

FNf1pxX.png

TYz0Huh.png: "Ah, I'm really sorry. I couldn't help it after seeing that serious expression on your face... Sorry, don't be angry. I was ordered, by Gotoh, to wait here for you. While I was waiting I got more and more angry, wondering why I had to do something so boring. So I thought I'd think of a prank to pull on you. But, my Tiki impression was pretty good wasn't it? Huh, what's with the anxious face? Okay, let's go. You want to meet Gotoh, right?"
THMpsw7.png: "Xane, how would you know Gotoh? Who are you?"
TYz0Huh.png: "Oh, that doesn't really matter. Well, don't just stand there. Follow me."

What a zany prankster.

The Team:

Lv. 	   HP Str Skl Spd Lck WLv Def Res  +XP
Marth	9.41	   28  10  10  12  11   9   9   0  --
Palla	14.14	   28  12  15  17   9  13  10   7  +40
Catria	16.25	   32  15  18  20  10  17  15   6  +196
Caeda	13.36	   24  11  14  20  17  16  12   6  +204

Julian	9.48	   22  10   9  16   9   8   7   0  --
Rickard	3.09	   18   6   3   9   1   6   3   0  --
Warren	14.24	   30  13  10  11   3  11   6   2  --
Phina	5.60	   18   2   6  13  12   4   4   0  +160

Wendell	*/9.69	   27   5   6  13   4  12   5   6  +56
Jubelo	18.25	   24  16   8  14  14  18   7   3  +284
Merric	12.14	   24   6   7  11   7  12   8   3  +150
Yuliya	12.06	   18   8   8  10  15  13   3   6  +102
  •  
  •  
  •  

Anri's brother is Marth's great grandfather. We actually have Marth's male lineage back to Anri from supplementary materials. His father is Cornelius, his grandfather is Marius and his great grandfather, Anri's brother, is named Marcelus... looking at it like that, Cornelius seems to kind of stand out being the only Altean king without an 'M' name. I wonder what Marth called his first born son. My headcanon, he massively confused historians and called his son Hardin.

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, ping said:

5LmJEnD.png: "That's right. King Anri began his travels here, to obtain the divine sword, Falchion.

Retracing Anri's steps... cute and all, but goddamn would this make more sense if Marth didn't defeat Medeus with the Falchion once before.
Right now defeating Medeus isn't even Marth's objective.

1 hour ago, ping said:

Using plural was probably not the appropriate translation here, since Marth later expresses confusion that there are Earth Dragons besides Medeus.

1 hour ago, ping said:

Oh, it does. It's just that the Anri stuff is a lot more recent history than the founding of the holy kingdom of Akaneia and the giant guardian god stuff.

1 hour ago, ping said:

Sure is a lot nicer how in Berwick Saga all Light Infantry can freely move through sand.

Come to think of it, the 2nd desert map in Berwick Saga does seem to reference this map in particular. I was always distracted by the fact that Holmes and Katri are alluded to, so I kept looking for connections to Tear Ring Saga. But this comparison makes a lot more sense. Of course references to the developers' pre-Playstation works needed to be a lot less overt than those to Tear Ring Saga.

1 hour ago, ping said:

She even got a new crown. But maybe the gem embedded into the crown is still the same one.
I suppose it would make sense if it was her dragon stone. Sure, the dragon stone is not red as an inventory item. But like, as an inventory item the Falchion is also yellow with a green gem. So probably best not to put too much stock into their color accuracy.
Either way I wonder if there is supposed to be a deliberate parallel in design between Tiki's gem and the gem embedded in the hilt of the Falchion.

Edited by BrightBow

57 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Anri's brother is Marth's great grandfather. We actually have Marth's male lineage back to Anri from supplementary materials. His father is Cornelius, his grandfather is Marius and his great grandfather, Anri's brother, is named Marcelus... looking at it like that, Cornelius seems to kind of stand out being the only Altean king without an 'M' name. I wonder what Marth called his first born son. My headcanon, he massively confused historians and called his son Hardin.

Well, Mars is basically Marcelus without the elus, phonetically. So since Marcelus's son is Marius, I expect Mars's son to be Mar, as in Marius without the ius. Turns out Tiki was allowed to choose the name. Small Mar-Mar --> Half a Mar-Mar --> Mar. It's only logical.

34 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Oh, it does. It's just that the Anri stuff is a lot more recent history than the founding of the holy kingdom of Akaneia and the giant guardian god stuff.

Yeah, but the status quo has still been quite thoroughly rocked during that war with Dolhr. Looking at the timeline, Aurelis, Altea, Grust, and Macedon were all founded after the first war between the Kingdom of Akaneia and Dolhr, for example. And even then, the War of Shadows happens only 600 years after the Kingdom of Akaneia was founded to begin with, which isn't that long for a political entity to exist. As an expert on political maps of 11th Nov, 1444, I can say that a lot of today's countries in and around Europe already existed in some form that long ago IRL, not to mention the likes of China, Egypt, or Rome.

I'll admit that the first 489 years of the Kingdom of Akaneia are conspiciously devoid of notable events in the timeline.

52 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

She even got a new crown. But maybe the gem embedded into the crown is still the same one.
I suppose it would make sense if it was her dragon stone. Sure, the dragon stone is not red as an inventory item. But like, as an inventory item the Falchion is also yellow with a green gem. So probably best not to put too much stock into their color accuracy.
Either way I wonder if there is supposed to be a deliberate parallel in design between Tiki's gem and the gem embedded in the hilt of the Falchion.

I almost wish that real Tiki would still use her Book 1 appearance, with Xane just not quite getting it right. With dragons aging as slowly as they do, it's just a bit odd that Tiki of all people is one of the few characters with a new portrait.

3 hours ago, ping said:

...And yet Marth was unaware of this story until Jagen told him in the middle of their Gotoh-induced desert stroll.

Maybe Marth was just a bad student. Wouldn't listen in history class.

3 hours ago, ping said:

Not only that, the princess swore she would give her life for the people, and the people in turn promised they'd lay down their own lives for her. How nice. Because royalty usually cares that much for their people, especially when they are born with a silver spoon in their mouths and/or are otherwise preoccupied for their own sorry asses.

3 hours ago, ping said:

6rZrmZj.png

This is such a staple of the series (or was, it stopped showing up in I think Awakening and it doesn't look like it's coming back) and yet I've not often seen people stop to consider how stupid it is.

3 hours ago, ping said:

mOvZesn.png

Strange choices by Kaga. I guess he didn't want to let the savages have a "hero" among their ranks? How could they have a hero they don't even answer to a king smh

3 hours ago, ping said:

And of course there's the Wyverns (or FlyingDrs, I suppose)

Flying doctors? I can't believe Kaga did staff falcoknights first.

3 hours ago, ping said:

As it turns out, no enemy moves before you step in their range

Okay, yeah, so this version of the map is strictly worse than the remake's, then. In the remake it's boring half the time, but at least there's a point in time when the map is semi-interesting when everything's coming at you in waves. Then there's Kaga going "go and walk through the desert killing enemies one at a time, weren't Anri's exploits so impressive?"

3 hours ago, ping said:

What a zany prankster.

"Haha, wouldn't it be funny if we passionately kissed and made love, Prince Marth? Haha, that would be so funny, wouldn't it. Haha..."

- Xane probably

3 hours ago, ping said:

Since he's semi-forced to be deployed on the last map, Sirius (who has the same 2 Lck as Matt) would be the better pick, but I know my audience.

Hi, it's me. John Audience.

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

Sure is a lot nicer how in Berwick Saga all Light Infantry can freely move through sand.

Be a lot nicer if he didn't recolor the classic movement-impairing sand white and called it snow but hey, he tried

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

Of course references to the developers' pre-Playstation works needed to be a lot less overt than those to Tear Ring Saga.

Like the time he made a character who is a dashing paladin happily engaged to a blue-haired woman, and called him (The) Roger. Subtle!

40 minutes ago, ping said:

I almost wish that real Tiki would still use her Book 1 appearance, with Xane just not quite getting it right. With dragons aging as slowly as they do, it's just a bit odd that Tiki of all people is one of the few characters with a new portrait.

It makes more sense when you look at the history of Kaga at large. Throughout the KagaSaga games, there's always two or three small female characters who get multiple portraits for... no apparent reason. Seriously, it's just a consistent quirk. It's most blatant in Berwick, where a secondary adult female character appearing throughout the whole game, Sienna, has only one portrait, but then she gets three different portraits for a single flashback scene where she's a child. A smiling face and two variations of sad.

So uh, yeah, not surprised he randomly decided the dragon loli should have two faces. It's just a thing he does.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

On 1/16/2024 at 5:01 PM, ping said:

Honestly, I like the personal tomes, although it worked better in FE1/Book 1. There, it was something for Marich and Linda that the prepromoted Bishops can't just replicate. That is still true in Book 2, of course, but now you have Yubello and Elrean, without that kind of uniqueness. Yubello makes up for it with his crazy good Str growth, but Elrean is kinda just there.

Sadly, Kaga invented Dire Thunder two games late for poor Arlen.

57 minutes ago, ping said:

As an expert on political maps of 11th Nov, 1444,

Ah, a fellow Ulm enjoyer.

20 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Be a lot nicer if he didn't recolor the classic movement-impairing sand white and called it snow but hey, he tried

Well, at least there's not flying enemies with huge range in that snow map like in this desert map.

19 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Flying doctors? I can't believe Kaga did staff falcoknights first.

That feeling when you come to the right answer, but for the wrong reasons.

22 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

"Haha, wouldn't it be funny if we passionately kissed and made love, Prince Marth? Haha, that would be so funny, wouldn't it. Haha..."

- Xane probably

Xane: "Hey Princey, would it help if I transformed into Princess Caeda?"

Marth: "...I'm listening."

25 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Strange choices by Kaga. I guess he didn't want to let the savages have a "hero" among their ranks? How could they have a hero they don't even answer to a king smh

Weird how a bunch of the Axe classes - Berserkers, Heroes, Generals, and Wyvern Riders - started out using Swords instead.

2 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Retracing Anri's steps... cute and all, but goddamn would this make more sense if Marth didn't defeat Medeus with the Falchion once before.
Right now defeating Medeus isn't even Marth's objective

Hey now, it's Marth's own fault for not keeping Falchion with him. And not predicting that the old wizard he killed a couple years ago would inexplicably manage to come back to life. It's the oldest trick in the book!

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

Perhaps Mostyn, in honor of his father-in-law? It starts with an "M", in any case!

35 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Not only that, the princess swore she would give her life for the people, and the people in turn promised they'd lay down their own lives for her. How nice. Because royalty usually cares that much for their people, especially when they are born with a silver spoon in their mouths and/or are otherwise preoccupied for their own sorry asses.

Well, there is that whole thing about how the entire Holy Kingdom of Akaneia is just a big sham.

35 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

This is such a staple of the series (or was, it stopped showing up in I think Awakening and it doesn't look like it's coming back) and yet I've not often seen people stop to consider how stupid it is.

I don't actually mind it here because it's just a bunch of stat boosters and 5000 gold. Just some cute bonuses you won't really miss if you don't get them.

It's when FE6 brought this mechanic back that they decided to put in all kinds of unique goodies you won't find anywhere else. Staffs, promo items, the freaking boots... The one stat booster you don't find in the FE3 desert.

Meanwhile the TRS desert is rather similar. It's all stuff you find elsewhere. Except for the Mug scroll, which is obviously just thrown in there for funsies, given how silly that skill is on anyone besides Märchen. Putting something like this in as a hard to find secret makes sense.

Fortunately Berwick Saga would finally mark treasure spots. Took a while for Fire Emblem to copy that. I mean, the next game was Radiant Dawn, and not only did they not implement that, they also put hidden treasure on EVERY map.
Awakening would finally copy those markings, but they got rid of the "treasure" part and made it randomly generated junk.

18 minutes ago, Shanty Pete&#x27;s 1st Mate said:

Weird how a bunch of the Axe classes - Berserkers, Heroes, Generals, and Wyvern Riders - started out using Swords instead.

Well, everyone in FE1 can use swords.
But "Generals and Wyvern riders"? They are not exactly Axe classes.

I suppose Generals gained Axe access in FE4, but they also can use every other type of weapon, so axe access does not stick out for them. Notably they have A rank in Spears and Lances while having B rank in Axes and Bows.

Heroes probably shouldn't count either. I mean, they still only have swords in this game. And the sword/axe infantry class in FE5 is called Mercenary. First time they even had axes as an option was in FE6.

48 minutes ago, RPGuy96 said:

Well, at least there's not flying enemies with huge range in that snow map like in this desert map.

No, instead there's an ice wyrm that covers the entire relevant part of the map in one turn's movement, puts its targets to sleep 1/3rd of the time and has an extremely unpredictable AI that will go for friend or foe without rhyme or reason.

...What a crap map that is. And I'm Berwick's biggest apologist!

36 minutes ago, Shanty Pete&#x27;s 1st Mate said:

That feeling when you come to the right answer, but for the wrong reasons.

Well. You can really tell how much I used peggies in FE4.

37 minutes ago, Shanty Pete&#x27;s 1st Mate said:

Marth be like "Two Cae-das! Two Cae-das! Two Cae-das!"

However, little did he know, Xane had one more prank for him cooking up in the backburner...

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

Well, there is that whole thing about how the entire Holy Kingdom of Akaneia is just a big sham.

True enough. Instead the true Holy Kingdom was Altea.

2 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

It's when FE6 brought this mechanic back that they decided to put in all kinds of unique goodies you won't find anywhere else. Staffs, promo items, the freaking boots... The one stat booster you don't find in the FE3 desert.

In its weak defense, the boots are right in the way and chances are you'll find it by accident.

The game's only warp was real silly though.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It makes more sense when you look at the history of Kaga at large. Throughout the KagaSaga games, there's always two or three small female characters who get multiple portraits for... no apparent reason. Seriously, it's just a consistent quirk. It's most blatant in Berwick, where a secondary adult female character appearing throughout the whole game, Sienna, has only one portrait, but then she gets three different portraits for a single flashback scene where she's a child. A smiling face and two variations of sad.

So uh, yeah, not surprised he randomly decided the dragon loli should have two faces. It's just a thing he does.

Well, Sherpa has at least two unique portraits that are only used in a flashback.

Tiki also is not the only one with a different book 2 portrait. Besides Marth himself there are also Linde, Shiida and Merric.
Maybe someone else I didn't notice. Considering that with Linde it's hard to even pick up on the difference since unlike Merric she does not even change posture.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

No, instead there's an ice wyrm that covers the entire relevant part of the map in one turn's movement, puts its targets to sleep 1/3rd of the time and has an extremely unpredictable AI that will go for friend or foe without rhyme or reason.

That's where Thaddy comes in. Just provoke him and just like that the ice wyvern will become very predictable indeed.

Edited by BrightBow

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

Well, Sherpa has at least two unique portraits that are only used in a flashback.

Tiki also is not the only one with a different book 2 portrait. Besides Marth himself there are also Linde, Shiida and Merric.
Maybe someone else I didn't notice. Considering that with Linde it's hard to even pick up on the difference since unlike Merric she does not even change posture

He doesn't only do it for small girls, but it's most noticeable with them. Look at VS, for instance. Yeah, Zade has a couple expressions, Cezar stops smiling sometimes and Theodel moves his eyebrows looking like someone badly edited them on paint. And then there's Sheela who has like six different faces with two different postures. Or TRS, where yeah, Holmes and Runan have the world's most subtle frown and awkward smile, respectively, but then there's San who gets a special portrait where she raises her hand that's used in a single line of dialogue.

Also, I'd argue the Sherpa thing is different because he absolutely needed to use two portraits, considering the situation. Kid Sienna did not need two slightly different sad portraits, especially when they didn't even bother giving her older form any expressions even though she definitely could've used them a few times.

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The most personally annoying thing about that map is that I got Enid her 4th (and 5th) point of magic the sidequest map before I did this one (Sylvis's Paralogue, as it happens), but she doesn't promote until the start of the next chapter!  I was thinking I could use Pallas Leia to roast the bastard, but no such luck.  Fortunately, Aegina had my back, but it took her two Fires at iffy hit to take that damn thing down.

...And yet Marth was unaware of this story until Jagen told him in the middle of their Gotoh-induced desert stroll.

Maybe Marth was just a bad student. Wouldn't listen in history class.

Comparable to not knowing your country's head of government during WW1, I suppose. Well, Spain kept out of it, but I think most people will be able to name at least Wilson, Willie II. , and Nicky the last. Don't ask me to name every French Premier during the war, though.

It's a very 90s / early 2000s thing, these very hidden goodies. To encourage exploration or to sell strategy guides, depending on your level of cynicism. Some Baldur's Gate examples because I already have them uploaded:

7C9OLt9.jpg

(diamond, $$$)

oZ1MQN1.jpg

(magic ring, rare (at least this early in the game))

7idrsp1.jpg

('nother magic ring, one of the best in the game, on the map that's probably the third you're going to visit)

GodXZN9.jpg

(2nd best armour in the game, with a way less restrictive Strength requirement than the best)

Here's the thing: That neat blue silhouette showing the treasure? That's an addition by the Enhanced Edition. In OG Baldur's gate, you'd have to scan literally the entire map pixel by pixel and see where the cursor changes in order to find these goodies.

- Xane probably

58 minutes ago, Shanty Pete&#x27;s 1st Mate said:

"OK, so why did you think it was a good idea to instigate this while transformed into a pre-school girl...?"

1 hour ago, RPGuy96 said:

Ah, a fellow Ulm enjoyer.

Greetings, fellow Blurple noCB-er.

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete&#x27;s 1st Mate said:

Perhaps Mostyn, in honor of his father-in-law? It starts with an "M", in any case!

Jokes aside, I do like that idea. Messes with the whole Roman theme that the family had going on, but that would be a nice way to combine the parents' families' naming schemes.

32 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I almost forgot about that (until I saw it referenced in the timeline), but I do like that detail. Could have been used to wax philosophical about the nature of royalty a bit, along the lines of "from where it came shows that kings are no better than any peasant, but from what it is now still comes this resposibility". Seems like something an official FE12 localisation could've had some fun with.

39 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Well, Wyvern Rider/Lord transitioned into an Axe Class starting in Tellius. Axes instead of Swords as the secondary weapon type in PoR, then Axes as the primary weapon type in RD, then back to secondary in DSFE, and I think it's been primary ever since.

34 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Goodness, they're not a good class for once (iirc, elitists don't like them because they can't use roads, right?) and you still don't use them?

27 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

He doesn't only do it for small girls, but it's most noticeable with them. Look at VS, for instance. Yeah, Zade has a couple expressions, Cezar stops smiling sometimes and Theodel moves his eyebrows looking like someone badly edited them on paint. And then there's Sheela who has like six different faces with two different postures. Or TRS, where yeah, Holmes and Runan have the world's most subtle frown and awkward smile, respectively, but then there's San who gets a special portrait where she raises her hand that's used in a single line of dialogue.

Cyltan also has two portrait sets. The angsty and the confident one, with the angsty starting out as his default but being replaced by the confident one later, although the angsty one comes back from time to time.

With Sheela they seem to go for a juxtaposition between the two expressions. In her first scene she has her "unamused" face throughout pretty much the entire thing and you only see her default bubbly face briefly at the very end.

I think you are interpreting too much into the San thing.
I've seen the uncompressed version of her portrait, and it has the arm raised.
Presumably they've simply figured that San looked silly in conversations when she always has her arm raised like that. So they modified that portrait to angle her arm downwards instead of upwards for a more comfortable posture.
Then they merely used the original portrait in one scene where her having her arm raised makes sense, because since they still have it they might as well use it.

24 minutes ago, RPGuy96 said:

The most personally annoying thing about that map is that I got Enid her 4th (and 5th) point of magic the sidequest map before I did this one (Sylvis's Paralogue, as it happens), but she doesn't promote until the start of the next chapter!  I was thinking I could use Pallas Leia to roast the bastard, but no such luck.  Fortunately, Aegina had my back, but it took her two Fires at iffy hit to take that damn thing down.

I use Ember arrows for this one.
It might take a while, but there is no real risk as long as Thaddy keeps the wyvern locked into place.

Edited by BrightBow

On 1/16/2024 at 11:49 AM, ping said:

Understandable. I think he stands out because his death quote seems more unintentially funny (which my change would make worse, actually), compared to, say Batta the Beast or Mr Peerless Swordsplay, where their boasting and its contrast to their status as tutorial bosses seems much more like a deliberate joke.

True, I do like it when the bosses have some characterization has some characterization, no matter  how small.

I'll respond to the rest later, I'm super sick right now, unfortunately. I wish I could edit posts more easily.

As for the Hardin discussion, remember FE1 was a NES game and FE3 could only hold so much data, that said I do have some ideas of how I would expand it.

@Jotari Actually Kaga had nothing to do with Eremiya, as has been discussed, the whole "woman whom seemed to be evil on her own but is really brainwashed by old wizard" is a story bit that only happened after Kaga left. Delthea and Mareeta were clearly brainwashed to begin with and were quickly recruited if you talked to them with the right people.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

7 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

I'll respond to the rest later, I'm super sick right now, unfortunately. I wish I could edit posts more easily.

Aw, that sucks. Get well soon!

8 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

As for the Hardin discussion, remember FE1 was a NES game and FE3 could only hold so much data, that said I do have some ideas of how I would expand it.

Yeah, I don't fault FE1 for its minimalistic story. But I think the combined remake/sequel model is overall to the detriment of FE3 - the remake half doesn't expand the story as much as you'd hope (heck, it even has to remove parts of the game); the sequel half ended up too much as "the same but different" compared to FE1, and Book 1 existing only draws attention to that.

4 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

True, I do like it when the bosses have some characterization has some characterization, no matter  how small.

@Jotari Actually Kaga had nothing to do with Eremiya, as has been discussed, the whole "woman whom seemed to be evil on her own but is really brainwashed by old wizard" is a story bit that only happened after Kaga left. Delthea and Mareeta were clearly brainwashed to begin with and were quickly recruited if you talked to them with the right people.

It was a joke. We've been using Kaga as a verb throughout the thread.

4 hours ago, ping said:

Aw, that sucks. Get well soon!

Yeah, I don't fault FE1 for its minimalistic story. But I think the combined remake/sequel model is overall to the detriment of FE3 - the remake half doesn't expand the story as much as you'd hope (heck, it even has to remove parts of the game); the sequel half ended up too much as "the same but different" compared to FE1, and Book 1 existing only draws attention to that.

Clearly giving Tiki that extra portrait was more important than giving Hardin more than six lines of dialogue.

6 hours ago, Shanty Pete&#x27;s 1st Mate said:

If we're going for 'M' characters Marth might genuinely want to honour then there's also Merric.

He should totally call his son Medeus! XD

13 hours ago, Jotari said:

If we're going for 'M' characters Marth might genuinely want to honour then there's also Merric.

Well, it would let his son use Excalibur without really trying... which could get messy during family dinners.

13 hours ago, Jotari said:

He should totally call his son Medeus! XD

"Daddy, why is my brother named Medeus?"

Well, I named him after someone I killed during the war.

"Oh, that makes sense. Thanks for explaining!"

No problem, Sheema!

19 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Well, everyone in FE1 can use swords.

They're "classes that could originally use Swords, but nowadays, can almost always use Axes instead".

Also, "everyone" is an overstatement, right? Snipers and Manaketes weren't swinging Swords, were they?

18 hours ago, ping said:

"OK, so why did you think it was a good idea to instigate this while transformed into a pre-school girl...?"

"To make sure I'm on the right side of this war! Ol' Gharnef may be trying to plunge this world into an external darkness, and that stinks - but I draw the line at pedos, ya dig?"

19 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

People sleep way too hard on Pegasus Knights in FE4. It's always "road tiles this, 8 move promoted that, no Rescue-Carry the other thing". All the while ignoring instant access to both the Brave Sword and Lance, Staves upon promotion, Pursuit on Erinys and Fee, and the fact that most maps have areas blocked off by mountains, ledges, or water, which only fliers can reach. Erinys and Fee are unironically "top 6" units in their respective generations.

11 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Well, it would let his son use Excalibur without really trying... which could get messy during family dinners.

"Daddy, why is my brother named Medeus?"

Well, I named him after someone I killed during the war.

"Oh, that makes sense. Thanks for explaining!"

No problem, Sheema!

No, not Sheema. The m is in the wrong place. Marth's daughter shall be named after her mother. A good royal M name...Marisha.

Seriously though, Marth, Medeus, Minerva, Michalis Mannu, Mostyn. Archanea is full of 'm' royals. I even made a joke about it in Pyrathi 609.

Edited by Jotari

Might've been an attempt to make the religion more monotheistic and thereby more christian-like, be it to avoid controversy or to make the religion seem more familiar to western audiences.

To be honest, I don't have very strong opinions here. As I alluded to earlier, I don't think that changes in localisation are inherently problematic, and the Akaneia lore is vague enough that I can't really tell which version I find stronger.

Ah, personally I'm bothered alot by stuff like this as it doesn't work with the story that the game presents.

That reminds me, did you ever read Kaga's explanation magic and its connection to religion? Here's a link if you want to see. It'll also explain stuff like the fairy summoned by the Thief staff.

8dJFPSQ.png

Have we seen enemy Clerics before in FE3? I don't remember.

I remembered that not killing any of them results in a reward in FE12, so I followed the Geneva convention for a change, but as it turns out, that wasn't necessary here. Oh well, it's not like they give a significant amount of kill XP.

We have not, this is the only time in the entire game, both books, where female enemies exist. Otherwise the enemy army just uses male Bishops for healers to avoid using clercics.

TTjbR2u.png: "...Master..."
At5bqt4.png: "That is all I can say to you. I hope you will understand. You still have many things to learn, and your will is too weak. Do you really intend on retreading Gharnef's path?"
TTjbR2u.png: "Master! I'm really sorry, I... see my wrongs. Please forgive me!"
At5bqt4.png: "Arlen, you should begin by letting your strength be used by others... Understood?"

"Surely, my student who is much like young Gharnef will not do what Gharnef would do in his position after I leave." - Wendell, probably

TTjbR2u.png: "...Master..."
At5bqt4.png: "That is all I can say to you. I hope you will understand. You still have many things to learn, and your will is too weak. Do you really intend on retreading Gharnef's path?"
TTjbR2u.png: "Master! I'm really sorry, I... see my wrongs. Please forgive me!"
At5bqt4.png: "Arlen, you should begin by letting your strength be used by others... Understood?"

"Surely, my student who is much like young Gharnef will not do what Gharnef would do in his position after I leave." - Wendell, probably

To be fair, the similarity might not have been obvious at first.

I've read one of the novelizations delves into the Ellerean/Arlen and Gharnef connection, as well as their relationship with their masters. Apparently both had a more parental relationship with their tutor in the novel.

7fe2jFN.png

The Silver Card is the reward that you get for keeping the Clerics alive in FE12. Here, you get it as a reward for killing yet another random passerby.

FE12 adds a really out of place line where Jagen mentions Arlen kidnapped the clerics to force them into his army, which really makes much less sense than being citizens of Khadein like Yodel, that decided to join their male family members in fighting for Arlen.

Also Arlen's men randomly start trying to murder him when you recruit him in this version. I didn't you mention it, so tell me if you didn't notice, but all of Arlen's troops will try to leave the map once you recruit him.

On 1/20/2024 at 7:44 AM, ping said:

The dark breath of Earth Dragons possessed horrendous destructive power and had the effect of halving the enemy's strength. Under such a dire situation it was thought that Altea's resistance wasn't going to hold out.

Kaga and his love of incorporating gameplay into story.

And as Ruben put it a week earlier: Kaga's "filthy traditional monarchist peepee [was] positively ecstatic" while writing this (rather young, in-universe) legend, that's for sure. Human civilisation is being oppressed by a bunch of evil dragon, who presumably eat one or two children per day and dragon... and the biggest concern is that if this one princess dies, the royal bloodline is no more. Yes. That is the biggest tragedy that could potentially come from all this.

Lets be honest, every Fire Emblem is obsessed with the monarchy and bloodline. Even Ike is the son of a legendary knight whom was a famous mercenary even when he was incognito.

We'll never get a bandit hero of the people.

mOvZesn.png

Kaga loves his redundant classes, I feel he exists because Kaga wanted the generic enemy unit that dropped the Master Sword to stand out so you'd notice him.

16 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

They're "classes that could originally use Swords, but nowadays, can almost always use Axes instead".

Also, "everyone" is an overstatement, right? Snipers and Manaketes weren't swinging Swords, were they?

Generals can use swords in a number of games, same for Wyvern Knights/Lords. Actually Wyvern riding units having access to axes is a very recent thing and even the DS Remakes went back to them specializing in Lances with Minerva being the sole exception.

In FE1, all lance using classes could use swords. The real weird/unusual thing was that Generals were only swords in contrast to Armored Knights being Sword/Lance. No other game brought back Sword/Lance Armored Knights or Sword only Generals, except for TearRing Saga and Vestaria Saga II.

WKfYd73.png__Qi3qETI.png

Barbarians are interesting because they're basically the closest thing to an Advanced Axe Fighter class in this game.
Despite this, they lack an animation if anyone wants to hear.

saXYM7S.png

Green clothes, Pink Hair and Master Sword, is that Link to the Past's Link?

FNf1pxX.png

Xane had no idea that his simple prank would convince creepy fans and people whom haven't played this game to think Tiki really loved Marth like that.

45 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Actually Wyvern riding units having access to axes is a very recent thing

2005 is not very recent. It's almost 20 years ago.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

2005 is not very recent. It's almost 20 years ago.

It's also 9 (or 10, counting BS) games into the series. That's a lot of games. So it's not like them using swords and lances is some weirdness of the early days.
And even then, Axes is only an option for wyvern in advanced classes.

56 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

FE12 adds a really out of place line where Jagen mentions Arlen kidnapped the clerics to force them into his army, which really makes much less sense than being citizens of Khadein like Yodel, that decided to join their male family members in fighting for Arlen.

Yeah, that just makes no sense whatsoever. He are Merric are in charge of the magic city. Of course they got healers among their ranks.

Seems like a stretch to consider this a coup either. The fact that he is currently in command of the army is probably simply because he took the initiative in directing them against the Aritian forces entering their territory.
And Merric is obviously just trying to talk Elleran down, rather than attempting to take control of the army himself.

I get the remake made it an optional objective to spare the healers, but directing towards that would be as easy as saying that Khadein is not really the enemy, and therefore there is no need to go out of the way to kill those who aren't even wielding weapons.
There is no need to make them kidnapping victims.

1 hour ago, Emperor Hardin said:

In FE1, all lance using classes could use swords. The real weird/unusual thing was that Generals were only swords in contrast to Armored Knights being Sword/Lance. No other game brought back Sword/Lance Armored Knights or Sword only Generals, except for TearRing Saga and Vestaria Saga II.

Vestaria Saga Generals do have spears and throwing spears as well.
Berwick Saga Generals are purely limited to swords, though.

1 hour ago, Emperor Hardin said:

That reminds me, did you ever read Kaga's explanation magic and its connection to religion? Here's a link if you want to see. It'll also explain stuff like the fairy summoned by the Thief staff.

Huh, there is some nice art there that I don't think I've seen before.
http://web.archive.org/web/19970628124218if_/http://www.intsys.co.jp:80/game/fireemblem/illust/su/oguma1.gif
http://web.archive.org/web/19970628124324if_/http://www.intsys.co.jp:80/game/fireemblem/illust/su/nabaru1.gif
http://web.archive.org/web/19970628124519if_/http://www.intsys.co.jp:80/game/fireemblem/illust/su/mineruba1.gif
http://web.archive.org/web/19970628124421if_/http://www.intsys.co.jp:80/game/fireemblem/illust/su/rena1.gif

The Ogma one has her with Yumina. Girl doesn't even get up to his waist.

5 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

It's also 9 (or 10, counting BS) games into the series. That's a lot of games. So it's not like them using swords and lances is some weirdness of the early days.
And even then, Axes is only an option for wyvern in advanced classes.

I'm just saying Draco Knights have been rocking axes for over half of the series' life span. It's not accurate to call it a very recent development. It's more like a "Not ancient development". Their use of swords are also pretty scattered. They did in the very fist game (Minerva was actually a Levin Sword wielder which is kind of weird to think now), became lance locked in Old Mystery, returned to swords in Genealogy, went back to lance locked in Thracia (because of the weird trainne tier 1 versions of the flying classes), had it in the GBA games as promoted units and then abandoned swords all the way until Three Houses where anyone could use anything, and finally Engage where you had your weapon choice of two of the three melee weapons (but even then the only natural Wyvern Rider in the game is Lance Axe by default).