SSB4: SSB for Wii U and 3DS, maybe the NX and also your toaster!

Shin

What should Sakurai do next?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Now he's finished with the current game, what will he do next?

• Spend time figuring out how to fit Ridley inside the next Smash disc
    • Reboot Donkey Kong Jr. Math
    • Team up with Hideo Kojima for "Mario and Solid Snake at the Olympic Games"
    • Find another way to nerf Zelda even more
    • Bask in the glory of all the salt he's created from DLC

I'm not upset about people wanting Rosalina. It's the justifications people try to come up with for why she should be included.

You can support or want a character without shoving them down other peopls throats. For instance, I would be ecstatic if Bandana Dee got into the game, but I'm not going to try and pretend that he's all that likely, because I know he isn't.

• Replies 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't see how supporting a character and explaining the reasoning counts as "shoving down people's throats". It's not like I'm trying to piss you off with my posts, but for a Smash Bros. thread, this type of discussion is pretty commonplace.

It's one thing to say that you support a character and give reasons why you support them. It's another thing entirely to try and pretend that they're more likely than they actually are.

What I've been seeing in this thread over the past few stages hasn't been "I like Rosalina, and here's why." It's been mostly "OMG Rosalina is in SM3DW, now she's a bajillion times more likely than every other Mario character because recency!"

I stand by what I said before regarding Rosalina's chances, but please don't dismiss my posts as annoying noob talk. I like to think I'm above posting like that when it comes to posting on this board.

It wasn't just you. There was another user that started this particular debate. And it's not just here, either. I've seen a bunch of bandwagon "support" for her pop up on other sites as well.

That should be expected given all the recent news regarding her.

But if it makes you feel any better, I've supported Rosalina for a long time now. There's a post in this very thread where I do so.

I'm newly converted Rosalina fan and I've been a Toad guy ever since Melee. So I'm a person who changed my mind about a character. But we aren't politicians, so we can change our mind about things.

The Land games and Yoshi's Island aren't listed. Miyamoto had little to do with the first two and the latter is now considered a spinoff. Advance 3 is oddly ommited, I'm guessing it was an accidental omission.

Advance 3 isn't on the list because it's Yoshi Island. It's not listed I assume because YI is recognized as the started of the Yoshi (platforming series).

And yes, whether or not Sakurai thinks that the Mario platformers are more important that the sport/kart/party games does matter, because ultimately he makes the call on who gets in.

Edit: And it does matter that Waluigi was tapped for an AT. He was picked over the (Mario) series veteran Toad, or the rising star Bowser Jr., or the RPG protagonist Paper Mario to be one of the Mario ATs in spite of him being "spinoff only."

The main Mario series is more important because the way it is treated by Nintendo (who Sakurai works for). It's what is celebrated when ever there is an anniversary (judging by both Mario All Stars games). Now, until there is a character worthy that has made exclusive spin-off appearances

Toad already made an appearance as Peach's attack. Waluigi was probably more suited for the attack he wanted. Until an AT makes it over as a playable character, it's hard to say that's in their favor, as there are other characters such as Tingle who seem unimaginable (unfortunately) as a playable character. And Little Mac would be worthy of appearance regardless of his AT status. And being an AT doesn't help him over Rosalina, whose first game was released towards the end of Brawl's development. So he didn't necessarily make it over her.

Yes, I'm offended that a character with very few appearances in her series is suddenly being declared as more likely than characters from the same series that are older, more popular, and have better attendance records just because she had a major appearance in a "main" Mario platformer. I'd get just as upset if somebody said that Anthony Higgs was more likely than Ridley.

Ridley is a lot higher up the Metroid totem pole than Waluigi is for Mario. Age or amount of appearances has very little to do with who make it in Smash. She's a new character. She will inherently have less appearances. Rosalina has now joined the very small list of characters who have been playable in a main Mario title. That's very Nintendo All-Star like.

It's one thing to say that you support a character and give reasons why you support them. It's another thing entirely to try and pretend that they're more likely than they actually are.

What I've been seeing in this thread over the past few stages hasn't been "I like Rosalina, and here's why." It's been mostly "OMG Rosalina is in SM3DW, now she's a bajillion times more likely than every other Mario character because recency!"

No, it's a discussion so people are going to have different opinions. Telling people to not state their opinion and then implying what you're saying is of greater quality is more closer to shoving it down people's throat than what other people have said.

Out of all the Mario newcomers, which would be the one that EAD Tokyo (if consulted) would recommend. There's an argument to be made that they would argue for Rosalina.

There isn't a rule state you can't argue for characters that are unlikely, so refute the argument, rather than be offended by the user. If you can't, it's not exactly a bad argument. It might not end up being right, but this isn't exactly a serious discussion. Any Waluigi and Bowser Jr argument might be wrong as well in the end if none of these characters make i. But I'll put my lot in Rosalina rather than these characters.

Edited by Viewtiful_J

Does anyone want to go off of Mario discussion for a little bit, I feel this will only go into flames.

While you 2 are being semi reasonable now it may not be for much longer is what I am saying, no offense.

What if we just follow Jedi's suggestion here?

What if we just follow Jedi's suggestion here?

Gladly. I've said my piece on Waluigi, Rosalina, and every other Mario character. At this point any more discussion on this is just going to amount to people shouting at each other, and nothing will come of it.

I've seen a lot of comments regarding Paper Mario, but to be honest, that's one character I definitely do not want in.

But before you start throwing tomatoes at me, hear me out.

I love the Paper Mario series and I certainly hope it's represented in some way, but Paper Mario is still Mario with a different design, and I've never been a fan of having two versions of the same characters, kinda how I was never thrilled about Dr. Mario and Young Link.

I can see where the PM support comes from, but I'd definitely take any unique Mario character (within the realm of reason) over him.

Would be neato if Earthbound/Mother got a 3rd person but not a PSI user because the people in Ninten, Ness and Lucas's teams weren't all psychics :P

Then again I doubt that will happen. It's really fortunate we have the 2 we have as is

Edited by Jedi Ogami

I've seen a lot of comments regarding Paper Mario, but to be honest, that's one character I definitely do not want in.

But before you start throwing tomatoes at me, hear me out.

I love the Paper Mario series and I certainly hope it's represented in some way, but Paper Mario is still Mario with a different design, and I've never been a fan of having two versions of the same characters, kinda how I was never thrilled about Dr. Mario and Young Link.

I can see where the PM support comes from, but I'd definitely take any unique Mario character (within the realm of reason) over him.

I can definitely understand that. I like Paper Mario more than the other alternatives aside from Rosalina (considering Toad has been revealed as a move rather than a character).

Pice of the Day:

p7QswGD.jpg

Marth in his 3DS form.

It appears the stage changes. Resembles Castle Seige to me. It looks like the lower platform on the right is covering the statue's junk, so good censorship Nintendo!

It looks like the 3DS FE level will transform yet stay fair and hardly get hazards on it. This is making me wonder what the Wii U Smash Bros. FE stage will be like. Due to my paranoia of handheld gaming consoles after my DS gradually fell apart beyound repair (cracked hinge, red-tinted screen, completely unresponsive D-Pad, sickeningly soft and gross A button, intermittently responding L and R buttons), I won't be getting a 3DS.

Would be neato if Earthbound/Mother got a 3rd person but not a PSI user because the people in Ninten, Ness and Lucas's teams weren't all psychics :P

Teddy, Wess or Duster. Pick your poison and let it rip.

Especially Wess. His final smash would be his little dance to open that one door.

Don't deny it. That handsome old devil would fit right in. :awesome:

Flint Eastwood would also be acceptable.

Edited by NoNameAtAll

I can definitely understand that. I like Paper Mario more than the other alternatives aside from Rosalina (considering Toad has been revealed as a move rather than a character).

Pice of the Day:

p7QswGD.jpg

Marth in his 3DS form.

It appears the stage changes. Resembles Castle Seige to me. It looks like the lower platform on the right is covering the statue's junk, so good censorship Nintendo!

Those statuses are in the same exact position as in the Castle Siege stage in Brawl.

Due to my paranoia of handheld gaming consoles after my DS gradually fell apart beyound repair (cracked hinge, red-tinted screen, completely unresponsive D-Pad, sickeningly soft and gross A button, intermittently responding L and R buttons), I won't be getting a 3DS.

The shoulder buttons on Nintendo handhelds tend to fail after a while, happened to me too with my GBA and DS. It's really annoying trying to play older games on those systems now. The 3DS XL does feel a little higher quality.

I have been wondering how the 3DS' joystick will take to Smash attacks though...

These statues got me thinking about how hilarious it would be if there was a Devil Axe item in Smash 4.

what would be cool is if you would also be forced to pick it up as well.

Pic of the day: The Return of the Ray Gun

aPQrBw5.jpg

Sakurai Miiverse Post:

"Pic of the day. Here's the new edition of the Ray Gun. The Smash Bros. mark appears backward because it acts like a stamp. We design the Ray Gun carefully each time to ensure it doesn't look like a real gun."

Edited by Viewtiful_J