How should the series become harder?

Snowy_One

hilariously enough, the often complained mount dominated FE4 has the worst Paladin class. Oh, sure, you get Oifaye and Aless who are amazing, but that's more because of them and less because of their class (if they didn't have Holy Blood, they'd be pretty chump...OK, well not nearly as good Oifaye would probably be super bro for a while and Aless could be super benched; nice job with those B ranked weapons Oifaye!)

Edited by Refa

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that held consistency I'd agree. But paladins seem to come in either 'OMGWTFOP'ed' or 'so horrible not even a casual would use them' flavors.

Hey, I use Treck and Noah! And they're definitely not OP.

I think that Paladins come in every flavour of mediocre. Plus, all we need to know is that it's possible to have balanced Paladins. And balanced Paladins like Treck prove that it is possible.

surely you mean the FE10 versions only right

(also I thought Renning was a decent enough character to plug in for endgame if you didn't use royals for whatever reason/your whole team got screwed)

Yeah, like I said, he's mediocre. Edited by Anouleth

Noah isn't even mediocre, he's pretty bro around midgame! Kinda falls off if he's average/below/lol0%growths, but I think he's a fairly well designed cavalier as a whole.

Noah isn't even mediocre, he's pretty bro around midgame! Kinda falls off if he's average/below/lol0%growths, but I think he's a fairly well designed cavalier as a whole.

i mean, noah's growths feel like 0% sometimes anyway. they're so bad.

It's not like Fire Emblem has never ever seen bad, or mediocre Paladins before. Between Kein, Alva, Noah, Treck, Forde, Geoffrey, Kieran, Makalov, Astrid, Fiona, Renning, Matthis, Roshea, Vyland, Midia, and Arran, it should be pretty clear that the "solution" to Paladins is just to give them underwhelming combat stats.

Astrid is a stat capping boss in Fe10. Parablossom ftw.

foI have idea for balancing horseback/filers. Make rain cut movement horseback/filers unit by 2 or more, but not cut foot soldiers movement. Also dismounting from FE5 looks good. I'm pretty sure if ~50% chapters of game would be indoor/ in rain condition, horseback unit, no matter of caps wouldn't be so overpower.

Also I think all hand axe/javelin like weapon and bows need to be balanced.

My proposition:

1. All hand axe/javeli like weapon when used directly has 100% STR, but when used indirectly they has less power( maybe 60% STR).
  2. All bows has range 2~3(maybe some more), but when used at rank 3 has less hit chance.
  3. Snipers always strike with full precision.
  4. Longbows would be usable by all, and have power to strike like sniper.
Edited by Nicolas

Bows does not need 2-3 to be useful

They only need competent user

Dismounting in FE5 is not that effective considering that the only significant issue with it was Mounties has a lacking weapon ranks(maybe Movement? I dunno only a few units have 7 Mov anyway). And then IS saw how peeps like to fap to Finn and they want to wield his shiny Brave Lance Indoor anyway

Edited by I have a Dragon Boner

While 2-3 range isn't doing anything for the likes of Neimi, merely being competent isn't enough. What archers really need is some reason to use them over 1-2 range attackers.

Actually, I'm reminded of a game I played before. What if Javelin/Hand Axes didn't exist at all, and bows were the only way to attack at 2 range?

She's bad.

She has better stat caps than Titania in every thing but HP, Strength and Defense. And she's only one point behind in strength and defense. She can also attack from a distance and retreat very well with canto/long bow. Can also use the double-bow which is quite likely the best weapon in the game. Can recover with sol like all the other paladins and has a pretty good magic growth for attaching imbue too. Her resistance is also great for a melee unit and pretty mmost enemies use magic in end game. She isn't bow locked as a silver knight either so her enemy phase power can improve much more at that point. She might have some low bases but her innate paragon makes her very easy to train even with her low availability. Given her blossom will almost guarantee she hits all her caps too and won't even detract from her exp intake thanks to paragon. Getting her those first few levels can be quite the chore but after a little effort she turns out to be a damn awesome unit.

Edited by Jotari

You do realize that Titania has an absurd state lead over Astrid'? And that Titania can use Hand Axes, who are going to deal way more damage then Astrid's bow? And that Titania can actually counterattack in melee? And that she can canto just as well as Astrid? And that she can promote extremely fast? And that she has way more availability?

Edited by BrightBow

Stat caps matter when you can safely equip blossom and still train efficiently. I usually have all her stat caps by Lv14 as a Silver Knight. I'm even thinking of promoting her early next playthrough so she can start dealing damage as a silver knight earlier. Astrid's not the greatest unit ever but if you get her some attention she will turn out really well. At least in my experience.

foI have idea for balancing horseback/filers. Make rain cut movement horseback/filers unit by 2 or more, but not cut foot soldiers movement. Also dismounting from FE5 looks good. I'm pretty sure if ~50% chapters of game would be indoor/ in rain condition, horseback unit, no matter of caps wouldn't be so overpower.

Also I think all hand axe/javelin like weapon and bows need to be balanced.

My proposition:

1. All hand axe/javeli like weapon when used directly has 100% STR, but when used indirectly they has less power( maybe 60% STR).
  2. All bows has range 2~3(maybe some more), but when used at rank 3 has less hit chance.
  3. Snipers always strike with full precision.
  4. Longbows would be usable by all, and have power to strike like sniper.

Reading this actually gave me an idea. Bows have a default range of 2, but archers/snipers can get certain bonuses as they rank up. EX.

E-rank: Just 2 range.

D-rank: If attacked in melee combat will switch to the first knife in-que.

C-rank: 2-3 range, 2-4 range for longbows.

B-rank: If attacked in melee combat, will switch to first useable melee weapon (sword or knife) in-que.

A-rank: Critical boosted by 10%

S-rank: Can counter with bow in melee combat.

Maybe not those exact boosts (they're literally ass-pulls) but if every foot-soldier class received something similar while mounties didn't/as much to make up for their higher movement, another avenue for balance becomes open. With better balance, difficulty can be fairly improved.

Dismounting in FE5 is not that effective considering that the only significant issue with it was Mounties has a lacking weapon ranks(maybe Movement? I dunno only a few units have 7 Mov anyway). And then IS saw how peeps like to fap to Finn and they want to wield his shiny Brave Lance Indoor anyway

mounted units lacking weapon ranks is a pretty significant issue.

the movement differences aren't as significant, but there are quite a few good foot units with 7 promoted mov (all sages and SMs). dismounting pretty strongly discouraged me from deploying mounted units unless they were dean, amalda, or eyrios, or if i just had a ton of filler slots.

you also have TRS dismounting, which is basically FE5 dismounting with generally more obvious movement penalties.

While 2-3 range isn't doing anything for the likes of Neimi, merely being competent isn't enough. What archers really need is some reason to use them over 1-2 range attackers.

Actually, I'm reminded of a game I played before. What if Javelin/Hand Axes didn't exist at all, and bows were the only way to attack at 2 range?

The mages, man, the mages!

Bows don't need 2-3 range or other silly stuff. They just need competent users with actual base stats and their player phase offense to be really really good/their chip to matter.

And most of the stuff here regarding mount rebalancing is terrible. No offense. I think they just need mediocre/worse than the rest combat stats.

I think they just need mediocre/worse than the rest combat stats.

First strike is more powerful than better caps.

Main problem of bows is they are player phase oriented weapon in game which is enemy phase oriented. Maybe if we change level design ( make more archers ) and add their user some power, then archers would be not so bad. But still I think they should be more longbow-like weapon.

Also what about something like Bright Bow or Crossbow?

Edited by Nicolas

Also what about something like Bright Bow or Crossbow?

Bright Bow will sue IS for this

The mages, man, the mages!

Bows don't need 2-3 range or other silly stuff. They just need competent users with actual base stats and their player phase offense to be really really good/their chip to matter.

Definitely not Ryan

i mean, noah's growths feel like 0% sometimes anyway. they're so bad.

His offensive growths are pretty much identical to Lowen. What makes him important is the rank for Killing Edge though. Having a 7 move cav able to crit is really good until chapter 15 or so.

This. I did a little test with FE6HM, giving Wolt bases on par with Alance (so stuff that's around 6/7/8 rather than 4/5) and it's amazing the difference it makes.