Post opinions on the last game you have played

Lethakitty

So, I bought the 3 PS Arc The Lad in the PSN. I nearly finished Arc The Lad (doing that 1000 Arena Battle,because apparently I hate myyself...)

It's an... OK Game. The system is incredibly simplified, and the Tactical RPGs is let to the strict minimum. Story is something we've seen many times. It's really short, and incredibly grindy (Side Quest must be at least 2/3 of the game.). Not really that much to say.

Child of Light.

Great game overall, but felt rushed (especially the ending). Overall felt like a teaser to a more definitive experience to be released in the future -- but I would definitely recommend it to any RPG fan. Surprisingly challenging (on expert mode) and well balanced gameplay to boot. Very short game but it's not expensive. Again, ending felt quite abrupt (feels like there should be one last area/dungeon but there isn't) but aside from that, really solid game and I'm usually quite picky with traditional RPGs (most have really easy/dull gameplay... I honestly couldn't finish my last run of Chrono Trigger). For those who like/love Grandia, you'll be happy to know that this game's combat system is heavily inspired by it, which can only mean good things.

The soundtrack is fantastic (top 5 of all time for me personally) and the art direction is great. For those who are tired of RPG clichés (in terms of characters and tropes), it's good for that too. But the actual story is quite weak -- less so that it's bad, but more that it doesn't really have much depth to it. It's as basic as it gets which is fine if you don't take it as core of the game. Also, it's all in rhyme and the writing can often suffer because of it (mostly because the writer(s) just sometimes cannot write concisely just for the sake of forcing a rhyme). You'll either like it or hate it. I thought it was charming aspect of the game and rather enjoyed it overall.

Would recommend. Main problem with it is that its ends fairly quickly you'll just be left wanting more (and then stuck waiting for the inevitable AAA-sized sequel). Worth playing alone for the gameplay, which is tight. Oh, and soundtrack, of course.

Yeah Child of light was too short.

I'm still reminding it fondly, even a few years after finishing it, so I guess it's a god sign.

The ones who made the music for this game is mainly known as a singer, in case you didn't knew (She sings the ending theme).

Not sure it would have an AAA sequel, since the Pseudo-Independant side of it was an important marketing point.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But that doesn't explain the Oracles. The Oracles, which take place very soon after the events of ALttP and feature the same Link as it (according to HH), have the Triforce be whole and in Hyrule Castle.

Oh, I didn't know that. It's cool to know that link is from ALTTP. Those are some of my fave games, so legit cool.

Can't justify my earlier explanation though.

However I find the boss of ch 7 to be a difficulty spike.

only a little bit

lol

F**k, it's really the most retarded boss I've faced yet in my videogaming carrera.

Xillia 1 had some really annoying bosses already, but this guy takes the care.

Even on easy mode I've no chance to beat him with the highest possible number of healing items and pancea bottles.

This game throws me a boss, similar to final form Duke from Vesperia in the first 1/3 / 1/4 of the game.

He'd be ok for a final boss, which will be even the case I guess.

Great job, Namco!

Grand Theft Auto V PC version.

I personally enjoy how well put together the game is. Yeah it's a 300 million dollar budget game but at least it's functional unlike the previous version where it had so many technical problems. I enjoy driving around san andreas and I do enjoy all the characters in the game. Not to mention putting your own music like in previous GTA PC versions into the radio makes it even better. Gotta blast Hare Hare Yukai in your SUV while being chased by police. I appreciate how much effort is put into the game, the voice scripting, the graphical potential and just how much smoother the game plays at 60fps. Overall great great.

My main critic are two things. The story campaign despite how much you can do and the ingame cutscenes are captured really well, I wished they had a bit more development on Franklin. I completely forgot he was there as it was more focused on a Michael and Trevor kind of story and it shows starting from the intro of the game. Franklin was kind of just there. The single player heist missions I love the potential for setups, hiring crew members and have alternative plans to bank rob things but only problem? There are only like 5 heist missions and your choices of crews are severely limited. Not to mention the best crew members are literally Packie, Taliana and Rickie in terms of skills and payoff. I'm more of a single player campaign Grand Theft Auto player so seeing how much they advertised about heist missions in the initial trailer but the actual campaign doesn't really offer much was kind of a let down. I am aware that the multiplayer has more heist missions but I wanted more single player campaign heist missions.

Kirby: Triple Deluxe, on account of not having bought Planet Robobot yet.

I'm a huge fan of Kirby, and I really like the new powers that this game brings (if I could spend the entire game as Beetle or Archer, I would). It's overall a really fun game, but there's two mechanics I don't like. 1) The Hypernova gimmick. It feels so much slower than the Ultra powers in Return to Dreamland, and the minibosses you have to fight using it are just tedious. 2) The puzzles that use the 3DS gyrometer, especially the cannon ones.

That aside, it's pretty fun, and Kirby Fighters is awesome (I really should buy the Deluxe version...). I also really appreciate all the Return to Dreamland references, because that's my favorite Kirby game.

It's also the first Kirby game I've managed to 100%, so yayyyy

Overall, 9/10.

Monster Hunter Generations.

It's to the rest of the series as Awakening is to FE but if Awakening wasn't made to be whored out for sales and actually felt awesome for veterans to play.

It experiments with a lot of stuff and brings things to the table, and is generally being fairly easy for series veterans due to a "make everything broken" design philosophy. It's the most "fun" Monster Hunter game yet, and I'm very interested in what will happen in Monster Hunter 5 especially since it'll totally be an NX launch title due to series patterns and Capcom's projection for the financial year.

It's implied the decision to split the Triforce was made some time after the Oracle Games, iirc. Either that, or interquel setup.

Are the Oracles on the Decline timeline? Cuz i thought they were elsewhere, unless im thinking of Link's Awakening...

But that doesn't explain the Oracles. The Oracles, which take place very soon after the events of ALttP and feature the same Link as it (according to HH), have the Triforce be whole and in Hyrule Castle.

Which i think im thinking of Link's Awakening lmao which comes after the Oracles for some reason. (honestly i think you could put that game anywhere on any timeline and nothing would happen) I think Severian might be right about it being some kind of dragonball situation where it like, resets itself and splits.

Are the Oracles on the Decline timeline? Cuz i thought they were elsewhere, unless im thinking of Link's Awakening...

Which i think im thinking of Link's Awakening lmao which comes after the Oracles for some reason. (honestly i think you could put that game anywhere on any timeline and nothing would happen) I think Severian might be right about it being some kind of dragonball situation where it like, resets itself and splits.

Link's Awakening is set after the Oracles (specifically Ages, though it makes no difference), in the Decline timeline, yeah.

At present, the timeline is:

/Hero of Time defeated/Imprisoning War - ALttP/OoX/LA - ALBW/TFH - LoZ/AoL
SS - TMC - FS - OoT -Hero of Time defeats Ganon - Great Flood - TWW/PH - ST
                    \Hero of Time sent back/MM - TP - FSA
Really, they should have done something more like FE where there's several mini-canons rather than trying to force everything together, since some of it makes no sense, like the ALBW contradicting Oracles thing.

But that would require logic.

Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies: Unfortunately, it's a step down from the rest of the series in terms of story, with the last case having an extremely contrived contradiction as a plot device. I also think that the investigation phase of the game is far too easy; very rarely did I actually have to think about what I had to do next. That said, I do find the characters enjoyable, and the Mood Matrix can be a fun mechanic. Finally, it's still Ace Attorney, so it would be hard pressed to get me to dislike it. Overall, I like this game, warts and all.

Last game I beat for the first time was Berwick Saga, which is FE at its core but at the same time it's not FE. There's a hex grid, weapon durability is a different system altogether, class changes are somewhat significant, the stats are more streamlined, weapon level/skill are combined into one thing, horses can die, there's a whole mercenary system, and lots and lots of skills, mostly command skills. I can go on, but I really love the game and I will do a second playthrough (where I take full notes of things that each chapter has available) that will go much better than my first.

Last game I played which I've not beaten was Valkyria Chronicles, which is a lot of fun and it's a strategy game with some real time elements. I recommend it.

Last game I played overall was Tear Ring Saga, which is fun as hell even though it's easy. Some of the chapters are a fuckin pain in the ass though (Chapter 18 being among them), and some characters are hilariously broken (Narron, Zieg), and some chapters are just unfun (Chapter 14 being one of them), but it's overall a pretty fun game. Holmes is my favorite FE lord.

I played Journey. It was really pretty and atmospheric. And... that's it. The end. If the characters weren't so sluggish and there were actual level design, this could've been a challenging and fun game. Instead, it's just an experience with some hidden doodads and trophies for replay value.

Monster Hunter Generations.

It's to the rest of the series as Awakening is to FE but if Awakening wasn't made to be whored out for sales and actually felt awesome for veterans to play.

It experiments with a lot of stuff and brings things to the table, and is generally being fairly easy for series veterans due to a "make everything broken" design philosophy. It's the most "fun" Monster Hunter game yet, and I'm very interested in what will happen in Monster Hunter 5 especially since it'll totally be an NX launch title due to series patterns and Capcom's projection for the financial year.

I enjoyed Monster Hunter 4 U more. But - not for the same reason you've heard a lot of people say, I think.

Because I played Tri->4U->gen, and didn't play all of either 1p or 2p tri, 4U was the first monster hunter game I really played a lot of. Compared to tri, the content was just so massive. I played online with more people and talked with my brother and others about the game more, so I got a better grasp of how to play (when playing tri, I paid almost no attention to armor skills and didn't know I could get a free charge attack of great sword if I pulled it behind my back). 4U is definitely fun. And I'm not really amazing at monster hunter to say the least, so while I do feel that most of the endgame content has been easier than apex monsters (to say nothing of super high level guild quests, which I never even tried), it's not a big deal for me.

So while I definitely enjoy generations, it doesn't feel as much of a jump up in fun as the jump was from tri to 4u. Just my 2 cents.

I enjoyed Monster Hunter 4 U more. But - not for the same reason you've heard a lot of people say, I think.

Because I played Tri->4U->gen, and didn't play all of either 1p or 2p tri, 4U was the first monster hunter game I really played a lot of. Compared to tri, the content was just so massive. I played online with more people and talked with my brother and others about the game more, so I got a better grasp of how to play (when playing tri, I paid almost no attention to armor skills and didn't know I could get a free charge attack of great sword if I pulled it behind my back). 4U is definitely fun. And I'm not really amazing at monster hunter to say the least, so while I do feel that most of the endgame content has been easier than apex monsters (to say nothing of super high level guild quests, which I never even tried), it's not a big deal for me.

So while I definitely enjoy generations, it doesn't feel as much of a jump up in fun as the jump was from tri to 4u. Just my 2 cents.

Tri was my noob days as well- I soloed 3U (on 3DS- couldn't really do anything else) and blasted through 4U. It's a nice change of pace for me.

Aeternoblade

Clunky gameplay, decent skill upgrade feature. Funny plot in a way. Heroine on a quest for vengeance because destroyed village, her accomplice openly encourages fighting for hatred and vengeance, instead of acts as the voice of reason... That said, there is currently no voice of reason.

It, amuses me.

Edited by Soledai

Vestaria Saga

Vestaria I honestly feel is what people who disliked Awakening and Fates but liked the older games in the series are looking for. It plays like the GBA games, at least looks like it has the story focus of Tellius/Jugdral can't Japanese so can't confirm, and has just enough Kaga era bullshit to remain you who headed up the development team.

A Link to the Past:

Overall though 2nd best 2d Zelda right behind A Link Between Worlds. I love it's open ended dungeon design and I love the idea of big keys serving multiple purposes. But the first part of Turtle Rock and the fact that you can't turn while slashing annoyed me.

Edited by Locke087

Ace Attornet: Spirit of Justice

I have only finished the first case as of now so I can't say anything about the game as a whole yet. The first case ended up being pretty decent. The witness was entertaining for a starter villain and its less of a no effort case then most of the first cases. On the other hand the game starts out very very slowly and it did start to annoy me at certain points. A lot of time is spend explaining the new court system and it all dragged out a little bit too long for my liking. The witness' gimmick is entertaining, but he is not really helping things speed up when the dialogue slows down to a crawl thanks to his unique way of speaking.

Fire Emblem 1 - inventory management: the game

Fire Emblem Gaiden - miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss level up! +1 luck! Miss miss miss miss...

(They're actually pretty entertaining but holy smokes why can't I hit anything?!)

KOTOR: Clunky as hell, but as an Xbox OG RPG it's excusable. Also has a great narrative.

Probably the first RPG I ever played for real. What are your thoughts on the cast, and have you played the second game as well?

Civilization IV:

Kinda old at this point, but still really fun to play. I'm not super good at it though - I'm winning pretty consistently on Noble, which is the "fair" level, but Civ AI is usually so bad that this is hardly an achievement.

I still really like how the game forces me to juggle multiple objectives (grab land to expand, not royally screw my economy by doing so too fast, survive Montezuma's inevitable backstab, get the necessary military techs to actually kill Monty, but still keep building up my infrastructure...) and it's pretty rewarding to get to the point where you're able to just walk over your opponents.

I do not like some of the more efficient strategies that I would probably need to tackle the higher difficulties (well, that and not making horrible decisions where to invest my resources), I hate that the best strategy in the earlygame is growing your population and then just kill half of it to accelerate production.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon: A few years ago I played a friends copy, but now that I have my own I am quite satisfied. I have to wonder if Next Level Games carried the quality here to Metroid Prime: Federation Force. I still think this is one of the best 3DS games.

Mount & Blade (not Warband, the original): i have no fucking idea what is making me play this game for hours at a time but holy shit. Something about building up massive armies and acquiring loads of money via extorting peasants like a dickass is so much fun. Combat is unbalanced as fuck since you literally face-roll most of the game even when your outnumbered something like 5 to 1 as long as you have enough Calvary.

I still really like how the game forces me to juggle multiple objectives (grab land to expand, not royally screw my economy by doing so too fast, survive Montezuma's inevitable backstab, get the necessary military techs to actually kill Monty, but still keep building up my infrastructure...) and it's pretty rewarding to get to the point where you're able to just walk over your opponents.

Fuckin Montezuma man, I'd sometimes play Aztecs just so I didn't have to instantly go to war with a guy who started off with Spearman and didn't need Iron to get Swordsman. Thankfully if you survive the early-game you can fuck him over right quick, especially if your a civ like Rome who can just instantly fuck Montezuma over with Praetorians

Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2.

Plot's going at a good pace, and while there's some facepalm-worthy story mechanics,

like the Valimar Express

it's plenty enjoyable. Combat still has its moments

NO REAN I DON'T WANT YOU ON THE OTHER END OF THE MAP AFTER USING YOUR CRAFTS

but it's still a lot of fun. Mira (in-game money) is still tight, though I don't know if this problem fixes itself as the story goes on. Overall, I'd recommend this series (both this and Trails in the Sky) to anyone who craves a game with good gameplay mechanics, an excellent story with solid characters, and enough world-building to make your head spin (in other words, every non-gameplay thing you wished Fates had).

Olaf and Elliot for best parent/child duo - they're hilarious.

Edited by eggclipse