Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

6 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Well, getting the 5 wins in Arena is pretty easy these days, now that the bonus unit don't need to get all the kills.

Then why am I having so much trouble getting five wins now?

6 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

In AR, you need to learn how AI works before making a strategy.

I'm not able to learn much of that though. I tried. I would need to figure out something else.

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

7 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Well, I'm still tired of being severely punished just because I'm not an extremely skilled player and don't really care to be at the tip top of scoring. I just want to not have a lot of trouble getting five wins in arena or staying in my tier in AR or whatever.

Other players getting additional rewards for better teams/strategy isn't you being punished. 

Staying in your AR tier is easy. With a 160-point team, you still get 80 points even if you only have one survivor, and you only lose up to 80 points per day even with no defense mythics. And there's about enough Aether for one double-point match per day, even without accounting for ladders or destroying many aether structures. 

6 minutes ago, Othin said:

Other players getting additional rewards for better teams/strategy isn't you being punished. 

Yes it is. Because I don't get many rewards at all simply because I don't want to spend a ton of money on the most optimal +10 units or spend hours trying to be some super expert player. I don't need every single reward. Just enough. Which I don't ever seem to get.

It isn't easy to win AR battles at all though.

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yes it is. Because I don't get many rewards at all simply because I don't want to spend a ton of money on the most optimal +10 units or spend hours trying to be some super expert player. I don't need every single reward. Just enough. Which I don't ever seem to get.

What is "enough"?

If you're okay letting a few units die rather than aiming for a perfect score,  most AR defense teams are pretty easy for a decent team to beat. Just gotta pick units able to kill each of them, get then moving, and pick them off one by one. 

3 minutes ago, Othin said:

What is "enough"?

If you're okay letting a few units die rather than aiming for a perfect score,  most AR defense teams are pretty easy for a decent team to beat. Just gotta pick units able to kill each of them, get then moving, and pick them off one by one. 

I'm often low on feathers, and very often low on refining stones and dew. I also don't get a lot of sacred coins. Even getting enough dragonflowers is tough sometimes because I need more red ones than any other kind by far. If I could get a few more of these things every week, I wouldn't be low as often. I might still be low sometimes, but yeah.

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, Anacybele said:

Then why am I having so much trouble getting five wins now?

Depend on the units you use in your core Arena Team. For example, the Arena team that I use is:

• OG Marth, who is able to buff adjacent allies with +5 to all stats, and also is able to debuff foes by using a Ruse Skill. He is also effective against dragons, so he is able to deal with most of them.
  • OG Soren, who has some Chill Skills to debuff foes from distance. To support his allies, he has the Distant Close Guard combo, granting Def/Res+4 in enemy phase for all allies within two spaces. Soren also has a Owl Tome effect, which can stack with Marth's buffs, granting at max +11 to all stats.
  • Aversa, to inflict panic on low HP foes panic, alongside with some debuffs and also Guidance for helping allies to teleport.
  • For AA, or some Arena seasons, I also use Saizo. Thanks to his allies debuffing his foes, Saizo is able to gain enough stats to double even Legerndary Alm when Alm is initiating combat. Saizo's star is able to debuff all stats of foes, and alongside Panic Smoke, is able to convert all bonuses into penalties to max debuffing possible. Watersweep also helps in debuffing high hast dragons, like Fallen Tiki, without being in danger, so Marth can finish her without problems.
Spoiler

WmuVezL.png  Q7Tn9Jy.png 

yhQMawV.png  VhoZfTm.png

You need a team that is strong enough to fight foes but also able to support allies. Using only your favorite characters not always is optimal when they not work together as well or not made to fight the current meta. Soren and Aversa are by far not my favorite characters, but they are great units so that's why I use them. I am not a huge fan on Nowi in Awakening, but in Heroes she is my best tank in AR.

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I also don't get a lot of sacred coins.

It's funny how you mention that don't get a lot of sacred coins... but is ok in skipping a Voting Gauntlet, that grants 135 Sacred Coins pretty easily.

I don't think there is ever such a thing as "enough resources." Because your goals increase with the amount of resources you earn. If I earn more feathers, I start more merge projects. Ergo, I am always low on feathers. Likewise, you only stockpile free orbs if you have the self-control to do so.

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I'm often low on feathers, and very often low on refining stones and dew. I also don't get a lot of sacred coins. Even getting enough dragonflowers is tough sometimes because I need more red ones than any other kind by far. If I could get a few more of these things every week, I wouldn't be low as often. I might still be low sometimes, but yeah.

All of those things are really just a matter of how much of the resource you choose to use. The only real exception is sacred coins, which you can get enough of to keep up with relevant seals as long as you play all the events. Refining stones and sacred coins show up mostly in fixed amounts anyway, the variation from score is tiny. 

11 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

You need a team that is strong enough to fight foes but also able to support allies. Using only your favorite characters not always is optimal when they not work together as well or not made to fight the current meta. Soren and Aversa are by far not my favorite characters, but they are great units so that's why I use them. I am not a huge fan on Nowi in Awakening, but in Heroes she is my best tank in AR.

Well yeah. I'm meh on Hawkeye, but I was trying to use him in AR without much success because I'd heard he was good there. He isn't that great though.

I only refuse to use characters I absolutely can't stand, which only number a few. And even then, I went and got myself a Brave Lucina as support for AR and she is one of my least favorite characters.

Also, NY Alfonse is one of my best tanks, but I'm eh on Alfonse himself. Yet he's done wonders for me in a bunch of stuff, particularly chain challenges and TT.

But NY Alfonse is not as useful as he used to be and he was only released this year. I do use some units that aren't my favorite. But no matter who I use, I constantly struggle.

Though honestly, I think a game like this should be more about getting to use your favorite characters than having high skill. Since so many favorites are in this game already, why not?

Oh, as for skipping VGs, I almost never skip an entire one, you know. And I've only skipped one round a few times.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

the point of PvP is to reward people who spend money and/or time to get there.  If you want rewards for everyone, that's everything else.

And some people can't spend a lot of money or time or both, like me. That's the problem.

And some people can't spend a lot of money or time or both, like me. That's the problem.

So you miss out on them.  Does it cripple your teams to the point where you can't complete everything?

From my similar experiences, the answer should be "no".

It's not fair, but this is a scummy mobile gacha game. It isn't supposed to be fair, and that's the entire point of the business model.

These games don't include leaderboards to make you feel good about yourself. They include them to make you feel bad about yourself until you make it rain dollar bills.

Just now, Etheus said:

It's not fair, but this is a scummy mobile gacha game. It isn't supposed to be fair, and that's the entire point of the business model.

These games don't include leaderboards to make you feel good about yourself. They include them to make you feel bad about yourself until you make it rain dollar bills.

Or they make you feel good when you compete with the whales with a f2p/minnow account. =D

17 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Well yeah. I'm meh on Hawkeye, but I was trying to use him in AR without much success because I'd heard he was good there. He isn't that great though.

Maybe you expect Hawkeye to work like Brave Ike, which he will never do what he does. Different from Brave Ike, tanks like Hawkeye needs more thought to how to bait foes. I use Hawkeye, and he does very well in my Astra Team. No complaing about him.

Also, NY Alfonse is one of my best tanks, but I'm eh on Alfonse himself. Yet he's done wonders for me in a bunch of stuff, particularly chain challenges and TT.

But NY Alfonse is not as useful as he used to be and he was only released this year. I do use some units that aren't my favorite. But no matter who I use, I constantly struggle.

Chain Challenged and TT are things apart. You cannot compare them to Arena and AR because those are easier modes. Even low tier units like Raigh will do great on those modes.

What you could do is separate your units between seasons. I know that you use Brave Ike and Ny Alfonse in Light Seasons... is there a point to use these two strong units in light, while Astra stays without suck great units?

Though honestly, I think a game like this should be more about getting to use your favorite characters than having high skill. Since so many favorites are in this game already, why not?

You can use your favorites in non competitive modes, like TT, Rokkr and Grand Conquest, thateven though has a "tier" thing, is not like Arena and AR. Now, for these others modes (AR, AA and Arena), you need high scoring units, or Duel Skills.

Oh, as for skipping VGs, I almost never skip an entire one, you know. And I've only skipped one round a few times.

One Round is 45 Sacred coins, which is almost a Lv 1 to Lv 2 upgrade for a seal. It's still a pretty good amount of resources that you happily threw into the garbage can.

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I reached where I am by spending time and saving orbs for things that would improve my team. I recently +10ed Young Marth, using orbs that I was saving. Different, for example, of your Brave Ike and Valentine Ike, that hundreds were spent to reach +10. If I can save for them, why can't you?

There is nothing wrong in spending money, but also nothing wrong in spending time saving or waiting for the right skill for your unit.

You need to be patient and build slowly your unit.

If you don't have money for it, that's ok. A lot of people also don't have money for it... However, if you don't have time, well... then maybe competitive modes, or even competitive games, are not for you.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Well, I'm still tired of being severely punished just because I'm not an extremely skilled player and don't really care to be at the tip top of scoring. I just want to not have a lot of trouble getting five wins in arena or staying in my tier in AR or whatever.

44 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

As I mentioned before, you have to find a balance between getting rewards, spending little time/effort/resource/money, and playing your own way. If you want all the rewards and you are not willing to learn to be better, then you will have to spend more effort in form of money or time or whatever.

If you are able to +10 multiple Ikes, I think it is worth considering spending a little more on BH!Ike to give him Distant Counter, Close Call, and Pulse Smoke, as well as a second Peony and have BH!Lucina as a teammate. I was able to land in Tier 24 with little to no effort with my BH!Ike, and mine is at +7+10. I think I only used 1 or 2 Ladders last week. It is definitely pretty stress free and you do not need a lot of skill.

Edited by XRay

5 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Maybe you expect Hawkeye to work like Brave Ike, which he will never do what he does. Different from Brave Ike, tanks like Hawkeye needs more thought to how to bait foes. I use Hawkeye, and he does very well in my Astra Team. No complaing about him.

Well yeah, I'm aware of this. I still don't get a lot of success with him though.

What you could do is separate your units between seasons. I know that you use Brave Ike and Ny Alfonse in Light Seasons... is there a point to use these two strong units in light, while Astra stays without suck great units?

Yeah. Brave Ike and NY Alfonse like the Res boost Eir provides better than Naga's Def boost or Altina's Atk boost.

One Round is 45 Sacred coins, which is almost a Lv 1 to Lv 2 upgrade for a seal. It's still a pretty good amount of resources that you happily threw into the garbage can.

Still did so very rarely.

I reached where I am by spending time and saving orbs for things that would improve my team. I recently +10ed Young Marth, using orbs that I was saving. Different, for example, of your Brave Ike and Valentine Ike, that hundreds were spent to reach +10. If I can save for them, why can't you?

Save for what exactly? I'm confused at this statement.

There is nothing wrong in spending money, but also nothing wrong in spending time saving or waiting for the right skill for your unit.

You need to be patient and build slowly your unit.

If you don't have money for it, that's ok. A lot of people also don't have money for it... However, if you don't have time, well... then maybe competitive modes, or even games, are not for you.

Well, yes, of course.

3 minutes ago, XRay said:

As I mentioned before, you have to find a balance between getting rewards, spending little time/effort/resource/money, and playing your own way. If you want all the rewards and you are not willing to learn to be better, then you will have to spend more effort.

If you are able to +10 multiple Ikes, I think it is worth considering spending a little more on BH!Ike to give him Distant Counter, Close Call, and Pulse Smoke, as well as a second Peony and have BH!Lucina as a teammate. I was able to land in Tier 24 with little to no effort with my BH!Ike, and mine is at +7+10. I think I only used 1 or 2 Ladders last week,

I know, I remember when you told me all this. I still have not been able to get a lot of those resources though. And also, I can reach tier 25 in Light season sometimes, so that's not a big issue. I have Brave Lucina, but she's for Astra season since I've needed more help there than in Light. Oh, and Brave Ike already has DC as well.

Edited by Anacybele

45 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

So why exactly should people, who play better, not deserve better rewards than someone who plays worse? Should every person who competes in a race get a gold medal, because they all participated? 

1 minute ago, Vicious Sal said:

So why exactly should people, who play better, not deserve better rewards than someone who plays worse? Should every person who competes in a race get a gold medal, because they all participated? 

Because it's a video game where you can get some amount of rewards regardless of your skill. Different from a real life competition where skill is all that matters and you won't win anything unless you do have enough of it.

Just now, Anacybele said:

Because it's a video game where you can get some amount of rewards regardless of your skill. Different from a real life competition where skill is all that matters and you won't win anything unless you do have enough of it.

So my skill and gameplay knowledge that I learned and earned while playing is worthless and I don't deserve to get better rewards because I play better than you?

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Save for what exactly? I'm confused at this statement.

The right skill or unit to appear.

For example, last year I was saving for R Duel Infantry for Marth since early last year. So when Summer Helbindi appeared, I was ready for him.

Like... if you need DC, you can keep saving until a banner with DC appears, being a weekly banner, or a "Heroes with" banner.

There are people that only saves for Legendary/Mythic Banners. People that could go for Fallen Lyon right now, but prefer to save orbs and wait for his appearance in a legendary Banner, so can try for him and maybe more Celica or Edelgard merges, because Legendary Heroes and Mythic Heroes are so worthy to pull for.

There is nothing about it being a video game that prevents the people who design it from doing the same thing as real life competitions. Competitions are competitions. The medium doesn't matter.

Just now, Vicious Sal said:

So my skill and gameplay knowledge that I learned and earned while playing is worthless and I don't deserve to get better rewards because I play better than you?

In a game where you can still get rewards even if your tier and score are low, sure. That's not to say I think the rewards should actually be the exact same, however. Otherwise, scoring high means nothing at all. But the rewards you do get for scoring high should be things like the gold accessories or thrones and whatnot. Pretty trinkets that don't do anything but look pretty and give you bragging rights.

I have said I'd like a silver and gold throne in AR, but not getting them frustrates me far less than not getting enough resources that actually have use.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

In a game where you can still get rewards even if your tier and score are low, sure. That's not to say I think the rewards should actually be the exact same, however. Otherwise, scoring high means nothing at all. But the rewards you do get for scoring high should be things like the gold accessories or thrones and whatnot. Pretty trinkets that don't do anything but look pretty and give you bragging rights.

I have said I'd like a silver and gold throne in AR, but not getting them frustrates me far less than not getting enough resources that actually have use.

They do this so that people will care more about trying to get those ranks. It seems to work.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

So you are saying that us, that invest a lot in our units and took a lot of time to build them, deserve to get useless rewards like Thrones and Accessories instead of orbs, feathers and flowers?

Meanwhile, YOU, that don't want to invest on high tier units, should get the same about of orbs, feathers and flowers than players that do high investments?