"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

So, been a while since I asked people about what to do with my supply of units.

There's 2 things to figure out:

1: I'm thinking about promoting some units. I'd go for two at present, I'm going to list units with good natures for the most part.

Spoiler

Red: Marth (+Atk/-Res, pretty much for that refine), Lloyd (if Regal Blade's refine is really good), Hana (+Atk/-Res, a very fast unit who could be very easily built after promotion at this point), Caeda (+Atk/-Res, Wing Sword and being another sword flier option though low priority because I have quite a few), Lyon (Because Naglafr)

Blue: Lukas (+Def/-Spd, he'd be a great wall with the boosts from promotion), Mathilda (+Spd/-Def, A good fast cav, which I don't have much of with lances), Peri (+Spd/-Def, same reasons as Mathilda), Cordelia (+Spd/-Def, more likely to if I get +Spd/-Res, she'd be a great choice then), Tailtiu (+Spd/-Def, Far batter than Odin, and she's almost as fast as Nino), Mae (+Spd/-Def, she'd be a ), Catria (+Spd/-Res, Could be a good option too,), Clair (+Atk/-Def, A lance flier who'd be a decent dragon counter)

Green: Legion (He's just fast enough to get away with being 4*, but the attack increase would be great), Frederick (+Atk/-Res, his great nature would help as a green cav), Nino (+Spd/-Res, I'd promote her if she got -Def), F!Robin (The second-best -wolf user I have sadly.)

Colourless: Setsuna (+Atk/-Def, could be massively fast.), Clarisse (A good option with her bow.), Takuwryyy (Entirely because of Skadi's effect), Kagero (+Spd/-HP, pretty much the only dagger I'd consider with their natures in mind, Felicia and Sothe need better natures dangit.), Priscilla (+Spd/-Def, Probably one of my better options for staves frankly), Clarine (+Spd/-Res, inferior but faster Priscilla), Lucius (+Atk/-Def, Because I want in on the Pain train), Wrys (+Res/-Spd, I should pass him some ploy skills first.)

2: I've got a few 5* units who I want to sacrifice: B!Ike (for Steady Breath, I have considered dragons, Lancina and Shiro for this but any others are appreciated), Ike (Heavy Blade could be useful on some units), Soren (Probably the most likely to stay, but still not all that interested in doing so. Would be useful to know who wants Watersweep) and Jeorge (Because I don't want his bad nature and I'm not keen on promoting a Jeorge for merging this one onto when I've done it for two units already this year. He's not got great options for it, so is he just feathers?)

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

So, been a while since I asked people about what to do with my supply of units.

There's 2 things to figure out:

1: I'm thinking about promoting some units. I'd go for two at present, I'm going to list units with good natures for the most part.

Hide contents

Red: Marth (+Atk/-Res, pretty much for that refine), Lloyd (if Regal Blade's refine is really good), Hana (+Atk/-Res, a very fast unit who could be very easily built after promotion at this point), Caeda (+Atk/-Res, Wing Sword and being another sword flier option though low priority because I have quite a few), Lyon (Because Naglafr)

Blue: Lukas (+Def/-Spd, he'd be a great wall with the boosts from promotion), Mathilda (+Spd/-Def, A good fast cav, which I don't have much of with lances), Peri (+Spd/-Def, same reasons as Mathilda), Cordelia (+Spd/-Def, more likely to if I get +Spd/-Res, she'd be a great choice then), Tailtiu (+Spd/-Def, Far batter than Odin, and she's almost as fast as Nino), Mae (+Spd/-Def, she'd be a ), Catria (+Spd/-Res, Could be a good option too,), Clair (+Atk/-Def, A lance flier who'd be a decent dragon counter)

Green: Legion (He's just fast enough to get away with being 4*, but the attack increase would be great), Frederick (+Atk/-Res, his great nature would help as a green cav), Nino (+Spd/-Res, I'd promote her if she got -Def), F!Robin (The second-best -wolf user I have sadly.)

Colourless: Setsuna (+Atk/-Def, could be massively fast.), Clarisse (A good option with her bow.), Takuwryyy (Entirely because of Skadi's effect), Kagero (+Spd/-HP, pretty much the only dagger I'd consider with their natures in mind, Felicia and Sothe need better natures dangit.), Priscilla (+Spd/-Def, Probably one of my better options for staves frankly), Clarine (+Spd/-Res, inferior but faster Priscilla), Lucius (+Atk/-Def, Because I want in on the Pain train), Wrys (+Res/-Spd, I should pass him some ploy skills first.)

2: I've got a few 5* units who I want to sacrifice: B!Ike (for Steady Breath, I have considered dragons, Lancina and Shiro for this but any others are appreciated), Ike (Heavy Blade could be useful on some units), Soren (Probably the most likely to stay, but still not all that interested in doing so. Would be useful to know who wants Watersweep) and Jeorge (Because I don't want his bad nature and I'm not keen on promoting a Jeorge for merging this one onto when I've done it for two units already this year. He's not got great options for it, so is he just feathers?)

I would prioritize your Feathers for Arena, then Arena Assault, then any movement teams that you have not built yet. In my opinion, it does not really matter who you promote as long as you use the unit for frequently (daily/weekly for Arena units; weekly for Arena Assault units; weekly/monthly for movement teams for Rival Domains and monthly quests).

For support units, I would only build them when you actually need them or if they can double as a combat unit. For example, I would not promote Marth just for his Spur if you are currently doing fine without it; however if you need additional axe counters for Arena Assault, then I would prioritize Marth over, for example, Hana, because counters do not need nuking stats to do well and Marth's spur is an added bonus.

This is how I would prioritize the following units assuming you need them for Arena Assault:

Red:
1. Marth: Axe counter/green check + buffer
1. Caeda: Armor and cavalry counter + flier buffer
2. Lyon: Colorless counter
3. Hana: Armor counter
4. Llyod: I would not prioritize him until we know what kind of Refinement he gets.

Blue:
1. Tailtiu/Mae: Ranged nukes
1. Mathilda: Cavalry counter + cavalry buffer
2. Peri/Cordelia/Catria: Melee nukes + cavalry/flier buffers
3. Lukas: Melee nuke; I personally have not found pure walls to be stellar, but he can nuke things with Brace Lance-Death Blow which is pretty neat, and he can still counter sword units on Enemy Phase with Swordbreaker.
4. Clair: I would double check the calculator to see whether she can actually be a dragon counter since her Atk is really low. If you feel her performance is satisfactory in the calculator, then I would bump her up to 1st priority.

Green:
1. Nino: Ranged nuke
1. F!Robin: Cavalry counter
2. Frederick: Melee nuke + cavalry buffer
3. Legion: Melee nuke

Colorless:
1. Kagero: Infantry counter
2. Lucius/Clarine: Nuke; for Clarine, I would use +Atk instead of +Spd, as +Atk Clarine is basically +Spd Priscilla offensively but with 1 extra Speed.
3. Clarisse/Sestuna/FH!Takumi: Ranged nukes. Although I generally prioritize nukes, Clarisse and Setsuna do not hit very hard and FH!Takumi's Skadi can occasionally screw you over if you accidentally activate an Enemy's Vantage.
4. Clarisse/Wrys/Priscilla: Support units; If you plan to turn Clarisse into a debuffer instead of a nuke, then I would not prioritize her as much. Wrys and Priscilla are great with Ploys. I would not turn Priscilla into a nuke though since Clarine and Elise exist.

— — — — — — —

BH!Ike: Melee units with Distant Counter Weapons should have priority, since they give the most bang for your buck as they can counter against both melee and ranged units. I would not give regular melee units Steady Breath until your most frequently used Distant Counter Weapon users all have them.

Ike: Heavy Blade and Flashing Blade are terrible A skills. Their activation requirement is too stringent and since you are not running a stat boosting A skill, the likelihood of them activating it is even less. Heavy Blade is fine as a Sacred Seal since you are most likely running something like Death Blow or Life and Death on the A slot already. For Heavy Blade to be viable as an A skill, Death Blow and/or Life and Death needs to be available as a Sacred Seal. I would personally just merge Ike or use him as Aether fodder.

Soren: Watersweep is primarily for used for units to specialize against dragons. You do not need Watersweep to deal with mages in my opinion since they are all generally pretty squishy.

Jeorge: What nature is your Jeorge? If you do not need him, you can use him for Blazing Flame and Spur Spd fodder; if you do not need those either, then yeah, just send him home.

I would like a second opinion on which base boon/bane would be the best for Sheena as a tank. She is currently 5* +8 and is +Atk/-Spd running the following:

Slaying Axe+[Def]/Swap/Ignis

Svalinn Shield/QR/Hone Armor/Close Defense seal

Most of the time I use her to bait units but once in a blue moon, I have her finish off an enemy that's really low on health since she doesn't have the greatest attack stat. Considering this, should I wait for a +Def/-Spd or should I just +10 her as a +Atk/-Spd? Currently, the only 4* copy I have left of her is also +Atk/-Spd and I was wondering if it's worth it to wait for a +Def/-Spd one to try out and switch it back to +Atk/-Spd if I don't like her +Def performance. I did plug her build into the battle simulator and the +Atk boon nets 3 more wins than the +Def one when she is attacked so I'm leaning towards the attack boon. But generally speaking, I'm assuming that tanks would like their respective defensive stat as high as possible so I'm a little conflicted.  

Edited by tobuShogi

4 minutes ago, tobuShogi said:

I would like a second opinion on which base boon/bane would be the best for Sheena as a tank. She is currently 5* +8 and is +Atk/-Spd running the following:

Stacking Def is great if you're reducing damage from, say, 10 to 7, but less great if you're reducing damage from 1 to 0 and pretty useless if enemies already deal 0 damage to you. Additionally, failing to take a kill and leaving an opponent at low health is asking to be taken advantage of with Wings of Mercy or Vantage.

Check if there are relevant enemies (i.e. reds are generally not relevant, greens and colorless are relevant only if you actually use her to bait them often) that you need the extra Def to keep Quick Riposte running. If you are using an armor team composition with Ward Armor stacks, I'd lean towards +Atk. If not, you'll need to see where you stand based on the buffs you're expecting to have.

What's vanilla Eliwood's best bane? I went to gamepress & it said it's between RES & DEF. I'm leaning towards DEF since Eliwood looks like he's going to be glass cannon no matter what I do.

For that matter is there a reason why I should believe his RES is an affordable bane? He has 35 for his boon  & 32 for his neutral. It sounds like there's something worth investing in since I'm going to make him my alternative for Horse Emblem.

1 hour ago, Zangetsu said:

What's vanilla Eliwood's best bane? I went to gamepress & it said it's between RES & DEF. I'm leaning towards DEF since Eliwood looks like he's going to be glass cannon no matter what I do.

For that matter is there a reason why I should believe his RES is an affordable bane? He has 35 for his boon  & 32 for his neutral. It sounds like there's something worth investing in since I'm going to make him my alternative for Horse Emblem.

Worth investing if you have DC fodder

Hi,
I have ayra +atk/-def. But i'm not sure how good it would be.
1st build:
Weapon: ayra's blade
Assist: flex
Special: regnal astra
A slot: fury 3
B slot: desperation
C slot: speed smoke
S seal: attack smoke

Furry 3 for more bulk and gives her attack and speed in enemy phase and it also brings her in desperation range. After hitting the enemy you will debuff them so they won't be able to hit you twice and lowers their attack.

2nd build:
Weapon: wo dao+ (spd)
A slot: life and death
C slot: flex
S seal: heavy blade

Life and death to push her attack and speed as high as possible. Heavy blade to charge her special faster. Wo dao+ gives her +10 damage on her regnal astra. She is able to tank 1 hit so she can be in desperation range.

(I’m pairing her up with a dancer that gives her 4 speed and 4 attack and brave lucina to buff her attack and speed.)

5 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

It depends entirely on what you want him to do.

If you are using him as a regular melee unit, -Res is his best bane. Units focused on melee combat do not need Resistance.

If you are using him as a mage counter, he should have -Def instead.

If you just need him as a axe counter/green mage check in Arena Assault, his nature does not really matter and he just needs Ruby Sword/Triangle Adept and Glimmer on top of his Axebreaker.

3 hours ago, Thienphu said:

Hi,
1st build:

Furry 3 for more bulk and gives her attack and speed in enemy phase and it also brings her in desperation range. After hitting the enemy you will debuff them so they won't be able to hit you twice and lowers their attack.

That build for a dual phase Ayra is fine, but I would not use dual phase units the way that you described.

Generally, dual phase units acts as Enemy Phase units in their first round of combat and then transition to Player Phase combat for their second round of combat and beyond.

What you are describing is using her as a Player Phase unit first and then transition her to Enemy Phase combat. I do not recommend doing that. Ayra would be eating a counter and on top of getting recoil damage during her first round of combat, making worthless as a tank since she would not be able to withstand a hit reliably without having full HP.

3 hours ago, Thienphu said:

Hi,
1st build:

2nd build:
Weapon: wo dao+ (spd)
A slot: life and death
C slot: flex
S seal: heavy blade

Life and death to push her attack and speed as high as possible. Heavy blade to charge her special faster. Wo dao+ gives her +10 damage on her regnal astra. She is able to tank 1 hit so she can be in desperation range.

(I’m pairing her up with a dancer that gives her 4 speed and 4 attack and brave lucina to buff her attack and speed.)

Looks fine. I would use Speed +3 over Heavy Blade unless you need Heavy Blade for scoring purposes. For fast non-Brave Player Phase units, having more Atk/Spd is generally better than activating a Special.

7 minutes ago, Lushen said:

How is "Rating" calculated?  Not arena score but when you sort by "Rating".  I thought it was just based on BST but my Myrrh has 200 which is higher than my WChrom at 195.

It’s a direct sum of all stats on a unit, including those from skills and supports. For example, my 48 HP, 50 Atk, 37 Spd (because Spd+3 seal), 31 Def, 24 Res Sharena scores 190. 48+50+37+31+24=190.

It’s completely meaningless.

A way back I got my second Hector. A +resistance/-strength even so he is perfect fodder material for his distant counter material.

I need a little advice on who on my team would make the best use out of the rare skill though

Zephiel is the most obvious choice, but I don't really enjoy using armour knights and my armour team is already pretty crowded. Black Knight already has distant counter on his weapon so I don't know how much i'd use Zephiel even when I give him that ability.

My second maybe is Seliph. 30 defense is good enough and the divine tyrfing/deflect magic allows him to take a hit from a mage. He also already has infantry pulse so whats one more rare resource?

7 minutes ago, Sasori said:

A way back I got my second Hector. A +resistance/-strength even so he is perfect fodder material for his distant counter material.

I need a little advice on who on my team would make the best use out of the rare skill though

Zephiel is the most obvious choice, but I don't really enjoy using armour knights and my armour team is already pretty crowded. Black Knight already has distant counter on his weapon so I don't know how much i'd use Zephiel even when I give him that ability.

My second maybe is Seliph. 30 defense is good enough and the divine tyrfing/deflect magic allows him to take a hit from a mage. He also already has infantry pulse so whats one more rare resource?

Zephiel is a good mixed tank while BK is an mixed phase unit. BK lacks the res to deal with dragons and mages. He'd be good at dealing with physical units, but everyone else... He sucks at that

Edited by silveraura25

4 minutes ago, Sasori said:

Every melee armor that doesn't have Distant Counter on their weapon likes having Distant Counter.

Melee tome counters also want Distant Counter, units like Eliwood, Seliph, Sigurd, Caeda, Mathilda, Jagen, Clair, Florina, Titania, and Camilla.

Other enemy-phase or mixed-phase units also do well with it, like Ayra, Mia, Myrrh, and Brave Ike.

2 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

It’s a direct sum of all stats on a unit, including those from skills and supports. For example, my 48 HP, 50 Atk, 37 Spd (because Spd+3 seal), 31 Def, 24 Res Sharena scores 190. 48+50+37+31+24=190.

It’s completely meaningless.

Ah I knew it was meaningless.  I really wish they'd update it so I can stop using arena score calculators.  

9 hours ago, silveraura25 said:

Worth investing if you have DC fodder

Yea, that's never going to happen.

4 hours ago, XRay said:

It depends entirely on what you want him to do.

If you are using him as a regular melee unit, -Res is his best bane. Units focused on melee combat do not need Resistance.

If you are using him as a mage counter, he should have -Def instead.

If you just need him as a axe counter/green mage check in Arena Assault, his nature does not really matter and he just needs Ruby Sword/Triangle Adept and Glimmer on top of his Axebreaker.

Even if I'm running Horse Emblem, I don't exactly want Eliwood get too much damage from a mage, but it doesn't sound like he can take hit from a melee unit to begin with.

1 minute ago, Zangetsu said:

Even if I'm running Horse Emblem, I don't exactly want Eliwood get too much damage from a mage, but it doesn't sound like he can take hit from a melee unit to begin with.

Eliwood has 59 physical bulk with [=HP, -Def]. An axe user needs 73 Atk to kill Eliwood in a single hit.

With Fortify Cavalry up, he has 65 physical bulk, which requires an axe user to have 81 Atk to kill Eliwood in a single hit.

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Every melee armor that doesn't have Distant Counter on their weapon likes having Distant Counter.

Melee tome counters also want Distant Counter, units like Eliwood, Seliph, Sigurd, Caeda, Mathilda, Jagen, Clair, Florina, Titania, and Camilla.

Other enemy-phase or mixed-phase units also do well with it, like Ayra, Mia, Myrrh, and Brave Ike.

Seliph it will be then I think. Zephiel might be usefull too, but I see myself using Seliph more in the future.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Eliwood has 59 physical bulk with [=HP, -Def]. An axe user needs 73 Atk to kill Eliwood in a single hit.

With Fortify Cavalry up, he has 65 physical bulk, which requires an axe user to have 81 Atk to kill Eliwood in a single hit.

Well this decide it then, @XRay & Dragon, you guys are helpful as ever.

May as well get some opinions here. 2 Lutes.

+RES/-HP - she has served me well as the mistress of ploys with her 39 Res. I actually pair her with Gunthra and a Wind Blessing. Could push it up even higher with Fury instead of her default HP/Res 2 A slot. I really should probably get around to giving her fury. The speed boost would also be welcomed.
+SPD/-DEF- The new one I just pulled. Offensively I am pretty sure this one is superior. 36/35 base offense isn't shabby. Yet at the same time I already have a +SPD Delthea(36/37 offense). I also have a Neutral Linde(35/36 offense). As well as a +ATK LA!Lyn(34/36 offense). And I can't forget +SPD Mae(36/34 offense). All of which she would have to compete with for an offensive slot. Her +RES version, meanwhile, lets her fill a niche that the other blue mages I have don't really manage. Delthea's 31, Mae's 30, and Linde's 27 Res don't much inspire for ploy or magic wall. Obviously LA!Lyn being an armor can try and compete there, but Lute's tome gives her a bit of an edge.

So as my rambling indicates I am kinda leaning towards the +RES since it makes her my highest res blue mage by quite a fair margin. This would also mean I woudln't have to merge or lose skill inheritance she already has so I would have HP/RES2 and Rally ATK/RES to give to someone. Though I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who would particularly want that combo of skills. Anyways just figured I would see what anyone else has to say on the issue.

27 minutes ago, Usana said:

So as my rambling indicates I am kinda leaning towards the +RES since it makes her my highest res blue mage by quite a fair margin.

Do you need her Res to be that high? Having your Res be 1 higher than an opponent's is no different than having your Res be 10 higher than an opponent's as far as Ploys are concerned. Are you missing any crucial Ploy targets when you drop her Res down to neutral?

• IfLilina's new Forblaze will deal bonus damage to dragons, will that be good for her? Versus common dragon units?
  • For those playing multiple Gacha games, what are some tips for balancing two games? I'm also playing Fate Grand Order and sometimes feel I can't focus on two games.

Since I haven't used her much in arena I am not sure how she compares against common arena stats. Looking at my Barracks I got a couple rows of units where she needs the 3 extra res to pull off a ploy and it would be a lot more if I actually had Fury on everything that wants it. But many of those are unoptimal boons(+RES like her) and as such may not be as high when faced in the arena. Though speaking of arena is probably pertinent to mention that I do not like it or AA and only put in enough effort for the orbs.

As such Arena is only a small portion of content. More primarily I am concerned with the PvE stuff. And infernal stat buffs can push res awfully high. The Fell Robin maps for example had several units even +RES Lute wouldn't be able to ploy, or at least would require her to have fury over her HP/RES 2. I don't recall other maps/specific examples off the top of my head, but Ploying can be difficult on higher difficulties due to how high stat inflation goes. Problem of course is I won't know what points are crucial until a map is released. Could be that those 39+RES units don't need ployed for her team, or it could be I need them neutered. Not like IS gives us a 'this amount of res will let you ploy all crucial units in future content' guideline.  So I can only really shrug on that point.

I assume the extra res doesn't much aid her durability since she loses 3 HP in trade and the only brave tome is blue, which she isn't soaking period(at least not from a fully built Rein).

In conclusion, rarely do Arena and since she is only rarely on the arena team it is doubly rare for me to actually pay attention to who in such game modes may actually resist a ploy from her. My general experience is that 31 RES that Delthea has is too low for effectively ploying everything I want ployed, but I have little clue as to 39 vs 36 res. Which was kinda why I was asking for more opinions. I also don't really recall where infernal res often lands. I know there were several in Fell Robin's map, but that could just be an outlier. Plus I had to fall back on Lyn/Rein for that difficulty anyways so not sure if they should count. I just noticed the res since Rein kept missing KO's or at the very least not securing them as well as I had expected him to.

1 hour ago, Usana said:

Since I haven't used her much in arena I am not sure how she compares against common arena stats. Looking at my Barracks I got a couple rows of units where she needs the 3 extra res to pull off a ploy and it would be a lot more if I actually had Fury on everything that wants it. But many of those are unoptimal boons(+RES like her) and as such may not be as high when faced in the arena. Though speaking of arena is probably pertinent to mention that I do not like it or AA and only put in enough effort for the orbs.

As such Arena is only a small portion of content. More primarily I am concerned with the PvE stuff. And infernal stat buffs can push res awfully high. The Fell Robin maps for example had several units even +RES Lute wouldn't be able to ploy, or at least would require her to have fury over her HP/RES 2. I don't recall other maps/specific examples off the top of my head, but Ploying can be difficult on higher difficulties due to how high stat inflation goes. Problem of course is I won't know what points are crucial until a map is released. Could be that those 39+RES units don't need ployed for her team, or it could be I need them neutered. Not like IS gives us a 'this amount of res will let you ploy all crucial units in future content' guideline.  So I can only really shrug on that point.

I assume the extra res doesn't much aid her durability since she loses 3 HP in trade and the only brave tome is blue, which she isn't soaking period(at least not from a fully built Rein).

In conclusion, rarely do Arena and since she is only rarely on the arena team it is doubly rare for me to actually pay attention to who in such game modes may actually resist a ploy from her. My general experience is that 31 RES that Delthea has is too low for effectively ploying everything I want ployed, but I have little clue as to 39 vs 36 res. Which was kinda why I was asking for more opinions. I also don't really recall where infernal res often lands. I know there were several in Fell Robin's map, but that could just be an outlier. Plus I had to fall back on Lyn/Rein for that difficulty anyways so not sure if they should count. I just noticed the res since Rein kept missing KO's or at the very least not securing them as well as I had expected him to.

You might want to check out this wiki page about Grand Hero Battles, and if you scroll down a bit, you will see the stats of generic enemy units. +Res is overkill in my opinion, since enemy units with high Res is better off being killed by an ally physical unit.

I personally prefer the consistency of having +Spd during combat since it will always be active, whereas Ploys will not always be active during combat since you need to line it up against enemies first and sometimes that is not feasible due to map layout.

I don't know if this has been asked yet, but if I merge my units do I get that replica unit skills?

Ex. I sacrifice my A="Mask Marth" that has skills for another B="Mask Marth" that doesn't skills at all.

Does B="Mask Marth" has all the skills from A="Mask Marth"?