Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

Score of 4524:

• Ground Zero (2AM PST Mar 28) - #440 (I shall savour this... for like the single day I'll have before I get kicked out of the top 1000 :P:)

Hoooooly crap. That was really rough. I thought I was going to lose my deathless on basically every match other than maybe the 4th and 5th. The first three had Tharjas, who normally murder the shit out of my M!Robin despite the WTD. Not today. I went ahead with the changes I was thinking about, so M!Robin's now running Res+3 and in the process, got his Quick Riposte bumped up to rank 2. Now he survives them and explodes them back. Won't save him from Linde or the greens, but it's at least enough to let him counter Tharja and Reinhardt. Fury 3 is definitely doing work on Sharena, same as with Marth. Renewal 2 is absolutely necessary, though, given how lopsided the stats of the enemies are here.

The worst match had to be running into a sibling-themed team of Minvera, Michalis and Maria (with Catria also there for whatever reason... I guess she benefited from the stacked flier buffs). The Michalis and Maria were, of course, 5*. But the kicker was Minvera: 5* +10. Her Atk was stupid enough to deal 23 damage through WTD to Marth (and that's before Fury damaged him!). This was a problem, because GGBC versus my RBBB was a pretty grim match-up. Thankfully, through Draw Back shenanigans and a single Falchion Renewal, he had juuuust enough tank to survive kiting both over a few turns. With the +10 Flier Def/Res buffs out of the picture, Catria proved to be the inferior duelist to Sharena. I managed to sneak exploding Maria in there with M!Robin (despite her having 38 Res—Bonfire FTW) near the start, but they were off fighting away from the epic wyvern battle, so even if she hadn't died, she'd have been distracted enough to suit my purposes.

I'm very glad I swapped Ursula back in, though. Despite the disadvantage RBBB faced there, Azama would have been worse than useless. That is, he could have healed Marth, but it would have been too little and for naught, since it was Draw Back on Ursula that saved the day (kept Marth out of Catria's reach while he dueled wyverns).

The 7th match, of course, had to have a dancer-Nino combo (with decked-out characters made to give her +12 Atk). Despite the longer, scarier reach, this still turned out to be a bit more routine than dealing with the wyvern zerg. I guess the downside of dance reach is that it's also very possible to get Nino to overextend to take a weak (relatively speaking) potshot at Marth.

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

(with Catria also there for whatever reason... I guess she benefited from the stacked flier buffs)

Mechanical stuff notwithstanding, Catria is a Macedonian too, it makes sense.

Team: Sharena/Ursula/Felicia/Selena

3/28: Score: 4,088 Rank: 15,107

Some matches were really rough which resulted in multiple deaths which sucked. Even at 3* Selena is pretty great at melting greens, takes minimal damage from Hector and melts him in one round, despite that it was pretty fun trying new stuff. I'm expecting the usual 50,000+ rank at the end.

Also, if anyone can answer a question regarding the AI, do they prioritize max damage over self preservation? I had Sharena and Ursula in Takumi's range but he went for Ursula instead of just attacking Sharena. Would he do the same if I had equipped Ursula with a Raven tome? If so that would make it a lot easier fighting team (well for me it would)

Edited by Fei Mao

Team: Ninian +1 (+Spd/-Atk), Eirika (+Spd/-Def), Nino (+Spd/-Def) and Kagero +1 (+Atk/-HP)

Score: 4,448 // Rank: 1,744

So I'm still rolling with my team from last week and I have really gotten used to it now. Finishing a deathless run went much smoother this time around. Due to not having a reliable frontline unit, positioning is super vital for this team but Nino and Kagero usually just nuke everything with Eirika's buffs and Ninian's dances so it is definitely doable. I got kind of lucky today though as I managed to avoid Ryoma and Leo - both of which check my team pretty hard.

32 minutes ago, Fei Mao said:

Team: Sharena/Ursula/Felicia/Selena

3/28: Score: 4,088 Rank: 15,107

Some matches were really rough which resulted in multiple deaths which sucked. Even at 3* Selena is pretty great at melting greens, takes minimal damage from Hector and melts him in one round, despite that it was pretty fun trying new stuff. I'm expecting the usual 50,000+ rank at the end.

Also, if anyone can answer a question regarding the AI, do they prioritize max damage over self preservation? I had Sharena and Ursula in Takumi's range but he went for Ursula instead of just attacking Sharena. Would he do the same if I had equipped Ursula with a Raven tome? If so that would make it a lot easier fighting team (well for me it would)

At first glance, the AI's behavior is simple--deceptively so. If a unit is in range, they will attack, no exceptions. If they have a choice between two or more potential targets, they prioritize in the following order (someone correct me if I'm wrong): Whoever has the lowest HP-->Whoever is at a weapon disadvantage-->Whoever has the lowest effective defense (HP + Def / Res)-->Whoever cannot counter, even if the target it deduces in this manner will kill them on the counterattack. Since that assumes a target is in range to begin with, the AI isn't too intelligent at setting up buffs or moves that can put its units in range of yours outside of a dancer or removing certain obstacles from the map, though.

Edited by MrSmokestack

1 hour ago, Maymeimai said:
  Reveal hidden contents

After spending all of my crests this morning, I got a deathless run

Feels good <3

One team in particular almost made me cry, it was the last battle, the team was someone/linde/nino/azura t_______t

Dang, ya beat me!

I spend 3 crests this morning (stupid triple brave lance Effies w/ Heavenly Light Wrys) but secured a Deathless run with the same NO S.I. team that I wasn't able to do it with last season!

5* Seliph (+Def -Spd)
5* Sharena
5* Nowi (+Res -Def)
4* Anna

Offense: 4,550

I don't think I've ranked higher than this to date, but as a wise birdman said before me:

6 hours ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:
  • (I shall savour this... for like the single day I'll have before I get kicked out of the top 1000 :P:)

Seliph really pulls his weight with 33 Def + Tyrfing's +4 after he takes a hit. Every match had a Hector in it, and every Hector failed to deal more than 5 dmg per hit to him. His pitiful speed and res don't really even matter when there's never more than one red or blue magic-damaging unit per battle except for full dragon teams which Anna even at 4* can check on her own rather nicely. I loved it.

I'd push Anna up to 5* but I'm too busy using the Tower to grind out exp for the Cavalry and Flier 3-orb rewards and would definitely never get a chance to squeeze Anna into the mix for EXP grinding from like 30-40. It's gonna be close but I with a team of Cavs and Fliers all between 35-40, I think I can pull off the orbs and squeeze out a couple of anna battles before April Arena Amendments

A bit of unfavourable enemy team RNG left me at 4500 following my deathless advanced run, a bit lower than last week. Granted, it should still be enough to safely remain in the top 10k, while top 5k is just a pipe dream at this moment, so I think I might leave it alone just because the number is amusing. 

As of writing, 4500 offense leaves me at rank 1849

7 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

they prioritize in the following order (someone correct me if I'm wrong): Whoever has the lowest HP-->Whoever is at a weapon disadvantage-->Whoever has the lowest effective defense (HP + Def / Res)-->Whoever cannot counter, even if the target it deduces in this manner will kill them on the counterattack.

Whoever will die in one round is prioritized first, no questions asked. Whoever will die with help from another unit is prioritized second because the AI is smart enough to do that. After that, it's usually whoever cannot counterattack, followed by whoever the unit deals the most damage to.

9 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

At first glance, the AI's behavior is simple--deceptively so. If a unit is in range, they will attack, no exceptions. If they have a choice between two or more potential targets, they prioritize in the following order (someone correct me if I'm wrong): Whoever has the lowest HP-->Whoever is at a weapon disadvantage-->Whoever has the lowest effective defense (HP + Def / Res)-->Whoever cannot counter, even if the target it deduces in this manner will kill them on the counterattack. Since that assumes a target is in range to begin with, the AI isn't too intelligent at setting up buffs or moves that can put its units in range of yours outside of a dancer or removing certain obstacles from the map, though.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Whoever will die in one round is prioritized first, no questions asked. Whoever will die with help from another unit is prioritized second because the AI is smart enough to do that. After that, it's usually whoever cannot counterattack, followed by whoever the unit deals the most damage to.

Makes sense, thank you both for the answer.

Score of 4524:

• Ground Zero (2AM PST Mar 28) - #440
  • 13 Hours Later - #1458

Well, so much for savouring for a day. I checked when I got up this morning and it was more like less than 1/3 of a day before I got tossed out. Oh, well. Looking at last week's scores, I should be top 10k for sure, but not top 5k unless I improve that score. I'm not sure how far I can push it, though—and like hell if I'm bringing Azama back.

21 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

2500+2000+500 feathers is my weekly haul, and I'm fine with just that.

Ditto

Well, I don't have to wait until the weekend for a Defense Win this week.  My Blue Wall landed me a 272 score today.

I've seen Skill Inheritance Cheese teams more frequently.  One team literally had everybody with Vantage.  Vantage + 1-2 counter attack is brutal.  I still won, but only had one survivor at the end.  I should still have enough to crack 4K Offense Score, but I think I can do better.  I'm at 6/7 Win Streak, but unless I'm really wanted to finish off a deathless streak, I like saving up my Crests.

Offense of 3599 gives Rank 32,926, with still one battle to go before a 7 Streak.

got a perfect score but that's never enough is it

dv0rZSZ.jpg

rank finally updated and it's 1,942. will that stay?!? definitely not

Edited by claire

Ugh, I'm going to need to figure out how to deal with Blade-tome teams. I think Julia can handle anyone with Blarblade, which I haven't ever seen before, but Tharja and Nino run through Robin and Ryoma like it's no one's business.

Maybe I should just leave the arena lobby when I see Eirika in the first slot.

Perhaps I should start merging my Ryomas.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Finally got a deathless run this season :D

Score is 4576, will update with rank in the morning. 

(Also, this might be a silly question, but does anyone know how to upload screenshots from my phone onto Serenes? Every time I try it says it exceeds the max size I'm allowed to upload. I guess maybe a different question would be how to resize/reformat the images so that they go through?)

EDIT: Rank is currently 758

Edited by MaskedAmpharos

5 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Finally got a deathless run this season :D

Score is 4576, will update with rank in the morning. 

(Also, this might be a silly question, but does anyone know how to upload screenshots from my phone onto Serenes? Every time I try it says it exceeds the max size I'm allowed to upload. I guess maybe a different question would be how to resize/reformat the images so that they go through?)

For my images, I personally upload them externally and then link the image to show up on the message boards. (In other words, I do not upload my pictures to Serenes Forest itself. I upload them to an Image Hosting site and link the image from there.)

I use imgur, all you need to do is create a free account and go through the process of uploading pictures there then sharing the links (or the IMG code ones) here. While it may seem Imgur is used for other stuff (it likely is), it works perfectly fine for gaming-related images.

Edited by Sire

31 minutes ago, Sire said:

For my images, I personally upload them externally and then link the image to show up on the message boards.

I use imgur, all you need to do is create a free account and go through the process of uploading pictures there then sharing the links (or the IMG code ones) here. While it may seem Imgur is used for other stuff (it likely is), it works perfectly fine for gaming-related images.

Like this? 

Spoiler

uSCa121.png

EDIT: I think I figured it out?

Edited by MaskedAmpharos

14 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Like this? [Image]

EDIT: Image came out at a way lower quality than uploaded for some reason :/

That works, but it also depends on how you want your image to be presented. I do the rest of this in spoilers to save space and not go too off-topic.

Spoiler

If you use the Image Link, it should look like this. (I'm using one of my old Vindictus pictures for this.) Personally, I never use this option.

If you go Direct Link, this is the result. Again, I don't really use this, but it does work if you prefer this method.

fzSCJYu.jpg

For what I use, it is the BB Code, shown below. This is tailored specifically for message boards and forums, like here on Serenes Forest Forums.

fzSCJYu.jpg

Edited by Sire
Gave some more details and stuff.

3/29/2017 - offense 4,546; rank 1,434 (1:05AM PST) [deathless]

Team:
(all Level 40 and 5*)
+Atk/-Spd Ninian (163)
+Res/-HP Ryoma (173; +Vantage 2)
neutral Sharena (177; +Threaten Spd 3)
+Def/-Spd Minerva (174; +Draconic Aura)
BST687

Final Boss was Ninian, Hector, Young Tiki, and Sharena with mostly default skills. I couldn't quite figure out where to put units to be in range of favorable match-ups and outside bad ones. This was the map with breakable walls in the center and sides. I couldn't tell when they would break walls and let an unfavorable match-up through. Enemy Sharena boosted Young Tiki and Ninian danced her to get into combat with Minerva ("Oh god no!"). Bless my Minerva saying she wanted bulk over Speed. She survived by one HP. After that scare, I took them out one-by-one. Hector was last. He was no match for Defense-boosted Ryoma.

I woke up yesterday with a defense win so I'm guaranteed 2500+500 Feathers. Now that I have no missions barring Arena ones, I can train and keep trying Arena in peace. I don't know if it's worth giving Fury to Ninian just to up my score. I think I'll be happy getting 4.5K-5K a week so long as I net a high enough defense win.

Highest score so far!

Spoiler

IMG_2847_zpszqu54as0.png

IMG_2849_zpsaqkvg0yr.png

I'm so proud of this team. Way to go! Killing all the Hector's and Effie's! You survived the Armored Juggernaut Armies!

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Ugh, I'm going to need to figure out how to deal with Blade-tome teams. I think Julia can handle anyone with Blarblade, which I haven't ever seen before, but Tharja and Nino run through Robin and Ryoma like it's no one's business.

Maybe I should just leave the arena lobby when I see Eirika in the first slot.

Perhaps I should start merging my Ryomas.

Okay, after running match-ups, it looks like +5 Ryoma [-HP, +Spd] is capable of tanking +10 Nino [+Spd, -Def] with Gronnblade+, Life and Death 3/Death Blow 3, and +4 buffs to all 4 stats and one-hit killing her back before her second attack, but needs 2 more Atk to do the same to the same Nino with Fury 3. +5 Ryoma with -HP apparently survives said Nino with Death Blow 3 with 1 HP remaining.

I might go with that instead of giving my +10 Lucina [+Spd, -Res] Distant Counter because Distant Counter is hella expensive.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Being limited to a 4* Ursula and an untrained 4* Anna is really not fun.

I did gt a deathless run with my 4* Ursula, Jagen, Gunter and 5* Hector, but still finished a score of only 4,354. Pretty sad. It should at least be enough to stay above the 30k rank.

New highscore of 4,532!

Last battle was quite tough, but I pulled through in the end. He had a vantage Hector, but Lilina OHKOed him, so it didn't matter.

Edited by Korath88