Best

3 Pts - Genealogy of the Holy War

2 Pts - New Mystery of the Emblem

1 Pts - Shadow Dragon

Worst

3 Pts - Radiant Dawn

2 Pts - Fates Revelation

1 Pts - Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light

I'm kind of surprised to see Birthright showing up on many people's bottom 3. It has a good UI, game engine and serviceable story.

Anyway, my lists are

Best
3 points: Blazing Sword - Likeable cast and more personal conflict
2 points: Path of Radiance - Solid world building and character arc
1 point: Fates - Really good music and gameplay when taken as a whole

Worst
3 Points: Revelation - Boring story, horrible unit balance and the most tedious map design in the series.
2 Points: Shadow Dragon - Boring story and gameplay, Gaiden requirements, visually unappealing.
1 Point: Awakening - Not a terrible game but a lot of badly implemented gameplay elements and a lackluster story.

I haven't played 1-5 or 12, although Gaiden would probably be absolute lowest since the UI was too shit to even play. Conquest has the worst story in the series but also exceptional gameplay, so it hits somewhere in the middle of my favorite/least favorite scale.

Best

3 pts: Blazing Blade/Blazing Sword/Fire Emblem 7
2 pts: Fates - Conquest
1 pts: Shadow Dragon

Worst

3 pts: Radiant Dawn
2 pts: Fates - Revelation
1 pts: Fates - Birthright

It was hard to choose the third worst, since RD and REV are the only FE game's I don't really like, but I decided to go with birthright because it feels a bit soulless. I haven't played 1~3 and 5, though.

Edited by Nobody

Blazing Blade/Sword wins best with a total of (36) points. 

Fates Revelations wins worst with a total of (51) points. 

Now we start the cycle again. 

Just without Blazing Blade/Sword or Revelations included at all.

Best 
Blazing Blade/Sword 

Middle

Fates Revelations
Worst

Decide 2nd Best & 2nd Worst now out of these games 

Shadow/Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light 

Gaiden

Mystery of the Emblem 

Genealogy of the Holy War 

Thracia 776 

Binding Blade

Sacred Stones 

Path of Radiance 

Radiant Dawn 

Shadow Dragon

New Mystery 

Awakening 

Fates Birthright 

Fates Conquest

Addressing Heroes votes now, they will not count towards anything, its a spinoff, the game doesn't focus on a plot of any sort, yes one exists but its an excuse plot along with the game having radically different design such as RNG not really existing. I will not back down on this.

Now my Round 2 votes. 

Best 

Binding Blade: 3

Thracia: 2 

Path of Radiance: 1 

Worst

Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light: 3 

Gaiden: 2 

New Mystery: 1 

9 hours ago, Refa said:

Best:

4- Heroes

3- Genealogy of the Holy War

2- Thracia 776

1- Sacred Stones

Worst:

3- New Mystery of the Emblem

2- Dark Dragon & Sword of Light

1- Fire Emblem Gaiden

Edited by Refa

11 hours ago, unique said:

i wouldn't say that fe1 "aged" better, but that it's just a better game

gaiden isn't really good even for its time, it's a pretty bad and boring game in general

for one thing, there's much less reuse of maps in fe1, and said maps actually have things in them. gaiden's maps are really boring and a lot of them are reused and you have to kill all the enemies to win and the enemies can summon more enemies that you have to kill and the hitrates are all bad so it takes forever to kill things 

those things didn't age badly, they're just bad. fe1 is slow and not too fun but there's slightly more actual strategy involved and the maps don't take forever (and there's less of them)

neither of them are great games but fe1 is definitely the less bad of the two, even if I like gaiden more

You know if you enjoyed it then I think it is a testament to the quality of the game. Now I get what you're saying, personal preference and objective quality aren't the same thing, but the primary purpose of a game is to entertain so if Gaiden has entertained a lot of people, then it is succeeding as a game. Perhaps succeeding in ways that aren't even apparent to begin with. I made a thread talking about why I think Gaiden's bland maps actually are well made. I think it might not be as much a clear cut case of, 'it's crap but I love' it but more 'it's different but I love it'. A lot of things are fundamentally different with how Gaiden is played as a game so judging it by the same metric as the rest of the series will inevitably result in inaccuracy. Of course I wouldn't like much to play it without a turbo button and can fully accept the possibility that I'm wrong. I just reckon the whole thing is more nuanced than it seems.

List without Blazing Blade and Revelation:

Best

3 pts: Fates - Conquest
2 pts: Shadow Dragon
1 pts: Sacred Stones

Worst

3 pts: Radiant Dawn
2 pts: Fates - Birthright
1 pts: Binding Blade

Edited by Nobody

I suppose my choice remains mostly the same.

Best

3 Pts - Genealogy of the Holy War

2 Pts - New Mystery of the Emblem

1 Pt - Shadow Dragon

Worst

3 Pts - Radiant Dawn

2 Pts - Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light

1 Pt - Fates Birthright

Best

3: FE9

2: FE14C

1: FE5

Worst

3: FE11

2: FE1

1: FE12

I pretty much just took it up/down a peg on each one.

Edited by Gennerson

30 minutes ago, Jotari said:

You know if you enjoyed it then I think it is a testament to the quality of the game. Now I get what you're saying, personal preference and objective quality aren't the same thing, but the primary purpose of a game is to entertain so if Gaiden has entertained a lot of people, then it is succeeding as a game. Perhaps succeeding in ways that aren't even apparent to begin with. I made a thread talking about why I think Gaiden's bland maps actually are well made. I think it might not be as much a clear cut case of, 'it's crap but I love' it but more 'it's different but I love it'. A lot of things are fundamentally different with how Gaiden is played as a game so judging it by the same metric as the rest of the series will inevitably result in inaccuracy. Of course I wouldn't like much to play it without a turbo button and can fully accept the possibility that I'm wrong. I just reckon the whole thing is more nuanced than it seems.

i mean yeah but that's the thing

i enjoyed it, but that's because I could hit the turbo button when I was bored and like, watch an episode of futurama or something on the side

if I was totally focused on the game i'd probably be frustrated and bored and if I couldn't speed it up I probably wouldn't have finished chapter 1

i had fun but I wouldn't have had fun if I wasn't playing it on an emulator

anyway I wasn't planning to actually vote on this but I posted here so might as well

best:

3 - shadow dragon

2 - path of radiance

1 - fe4

worst:

3 - conquest

2 - mystery of the emblem

1 - fe1

edit: i forgot conquest existed oops

Edited by unique

3 hours ago, Hardin said:

Best

Fates Conquest - 3 Points

New Mystery of the Emblem - 2 Points

Sacred Stones - 1 Point

Worst

Path of Radiance - 3 Points

Gaiden - 2 Points

Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - 1 Point

Best

3-Holy War

2-GLORY TO THRACIA

1-Gaiden (yeah I shifted my opinion to be a contrarian :p)

Worst

3-Path of Radiance

2-New Mystery

1-Sacred Stones (I want to love it, I really do)

34 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Blazing Blade/Sword wins best with a total of (36) points. 

Fates Revelations wins worst with a total of (51) points. 

Now we start the cycle again. 

BTW Jedi, what do you think of "subtracting" a game's negative points from its positive ones and then determinating the game ranking based on that?

Like, if Game A has 50 points as the best and 15 as the worst. Then it actual score would be 35. If game B has 20 points as the best and 35 as the worst, its score would be -15. I think it'd give more accurate results. It also prevents a game from being simutaneosly ranked as both best and worst as it's possible right now. I actually suspect that might eventually happen to Radiant dawn, which is a very divisive entry. By ranking the games as positive - negative points and then getting the ones with the most and least points, you not only get a more representative list but also get rid of this problem.

To put it simply, the first list would be positive points, the second one would be negative points. You subtract the second list from the first. The game with the most points is the best of the round and the one with the least is the worst.

Edited by Nobody

28 minutes ago, Nobody said:

BTW Jedi, what do you think of "subtracting" a game's negative points from its positive ones and then determinating the game ranking based on that?

Like, if Game A has 50 points as the best and 15 as the worst. Then it actual score would be 35. If game B has 20 points as the best and 35 as the worst, its score would be -15. I think it'd give more accurate results. It also prevents a game from being simutaneosly ranked as both best and worst as it's possible right now. I actually suspect that might eventually happen to Radiant dawn, which is a very divisive entry. By ranking the games as positive - negative points and then getting the ones with the most and least points, you not only get a more representative list but also get rid of this problem.

To put it simply, the first list would be positive points, the second one would be negative points. You subtract the second list from the first. The game with the most points is the best of the round and the one with the least is the worst.

Wouldn't that also carry its own set of problems?

Considering the points system, you can end up in a situation where Game A ends with more points than Game B, but more people had Game B in the Best column compared to A. This is still not taking the eventual subtraction, but how could such a situation be interpreted as?

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I remember years ago being amongst a group trying to make our own FE plot. Some of the main things I remember from it before dying was: Archer Lord that was a womanizer, had a Jeigan healer Female adviser aid him. That would have been the only healer in your party for a good chunk of the game. Your nation and another are both conquering the continent at the same time. One of the conquered nation's Dukes is forced to fight you and three chapters are dedicated to one battle against his army, where his battle quote was "How can you defeat a man, who has already lost everything." The leader of the enemy conquering nation is an Empress that wants to take over the continent so she could obtain all of the royal heirlooms to unleash Dragons. The Lord character did it for the ladies. There was a Bord and Cord duo that acted like Abbot and Costello.

28 minutes ago, Nobody said:

I think it'd be better to just have two lists and subtract the worst from best and best from worst. Combining them into two and having the worst serve as negative points means games that no one mentions at all will end up coming worse than games people actively think are the worst.

3 minutes ago, qwernst said:

I remember years ago being amongst a group trying to make our own FE plot. Some of the main things I remember from it before dying was: Archer Lord that was a womanizer, had a Jeigan healer Female adviser aid him. That would have been the only healer in your party for a good chunk of the game. Your nation and another are both conquering the continent at the same time. One of the conquered nation's Dukes is forced to fight you and three chapters are dedicated to one battle against his army, where his battle quote was "How can you defeat a man, who has already lost everything." The leader of the enemy conquering nation is an Empress that wants to take over the continent so she could obtain all of the royal heirlooms to unleash Dragons. The Lord character did it for the ladies. There was a Bord and Cord duo that acted like Abbot and Costello.

You sure you posted in the right thread? Or is Serenes just glicthing on me. Because I am simultaneously looking at the new lord thread right now.

I don't have to change yet so

Best 

3pt New Mystery

2pt Shadow Dragon

1pt Conquest

Worst 

3pt Genalogy

2pt Gaiden

1pt Shadow Dragon and Blade of Light ~ I still prefer this localization, but I can see clearly that other voters prefer dark dragon or simply FE1.

37 minutes ago, Nobody said:

I think it'd give more accurate results. It also prevents a game from being simultaneously ranked as both best and worst as it's possible right now.

I disagree with this idea- for one thing, look at the first round- The shuffling between Blazing Sword, Genealogy, and Awakening would keep them from being tiered for like +5 rounds, when they are easily the most played and referenced games, despite their divisiveness. It would be silly to have these games occupy a "mid tier" position. Using a subtraction metric would allow outlier games to be placed FAR too early.

I agree that at about rounds 4-6 we will have a risk of a game winning worst and best at same time.

Edited by Reality