New Banner - Echoes of Mystery (6/14)

Anacybele

2 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Huh. I actually did not know about that.

I'm not sure why, but I always had the idea that Panic converted bonuses to penalties. I'm interested to know the results of your testing later. 

The one part I'm absolutely sure about is that you can't use Harsh Command to reverse Panic because Panic is a status effect and your buffs are still there as an up arrow.

I'm about 80% certain that the results of my testing for Litrblade resulted in the buffs still affecting Litrblade the same way, but affecting your actual stats in reverse.

Also, Roderick is gorgeous. That face. That smile. Those coattails. I'd fall for that.

I'll try not to let him sway me from Katy's adorbs.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this looks nice, although I'm not really sold on Luke and Athena's art (those eyes are staring at my soul...*shudders*).

Fire Boost, Panic Ploy and Sturdy Blow seem like really interesting skills. I wonder how useful Panic Ploy will be to counter Blade tomes, if it can't at the very least it'll shut down any physical horse/flier so that's nice.

I'll go for Katarina and Rody and if I get Athena she'll become SI fooder.

21 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

"Way to shaft a good game IS".

There is no requirement to talk crap about a banner simply because nothing interests her.

Her inexperience with gacha games and impatience with her loud "boooring" on every single banner she doesn't like is repetative and inconsiderate of others who happen to you know... LIKE new mystery.

Like the people on the last page.

Aren't people allowed their own opinion? I like New Mystery and I have no problem with it if she thinks this banner is boring.

5 minutes ago, wheelsonfire said:

The banner looks nice, but I do have one issue with it. It's supposed to be celebrating New Mystery, but only one of the characters is exclusive to New Mystery. You could throw Luke and Rodrick into regular Mystery and nothing would change. Athena is an odd choice to because she first appears in Shadow Dragon, not New Mystery.

I would have liked to see some of the villainous characters that were exclusive to New Mystery (in the banner, not just in the paralogue). Maybe a male/female Kris (we got males and females of every other Avatar, so why not). If they really wanted to stretch it, they could throw in some of the Broadcast Satellite characters that made their first proper appearance in New Mystery. But unfortunately, they probably won't see the light of day because hardly anyone knows where they originated from…

Overall, the banner looks great, but I feel like it's also a missed opportunity.

Based on this, you may as well complain that the Echoes banner featured too many Gaiden characters and not enough of the Original Echoes additions.

Personally I do think Luke and Roderick would have made more sense in a banner alongside Cecille and Ryan. But criticizing their inclusion because they aren't really New Mystery characters is silly. Really the only out of place character is Athena, however you could justify her inclusion by the fact that a large number of SD players might not ever meet her due to the Gaiden requirements.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

The one part I'm absolutely sure about is that you can't use Harsh Command to reverse Panic because Panic is a status effect and your buffs are still there as an up arrow.

I'm about 80% certain that the results of my testing for Litrblade resulted in the buffs still affecting Litrblade the same way, but affecting your actual stats in reverse.

Also, Roderick is gorgeous. That face. That smile. Those coattails. I'd fall for that.

I'll try not to let him sway me from Katy's adorbs.

Guess it's not as effective against blades as I first thought, though it's still the best countermeasure we have.

Also I know nothing about Katarina or Roderick, having not played New Mystery, but they're definitely hella cute. 

4 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

Aren't people allowed their own opinion? I like New Mystery and I have no problem with it if she thinks this banner is boring.

Where is the line when someone says "I don't like it" and "IS you screwed up by not catering to my tastes"?

She *just* doesn't say it's boring.

She has said in EVERY banner thread has been bad that she doesn't have a character she likes is in.

There is no in between.

Quotes upon request.

Edited by shadowofchaos

9 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

No meaning in that.

新なる紋章の世界

"New World of the Emblem"

Specifically referring to the remake where Katarina is.

But that’s the difference between the Japanese title and the English one. The game was released in Japanese but not in English.

(not that I insist New Mystery will obligatory be the next game remade, mind you, just discussing possibilities and dreams)

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

But that’s the difference between the Japanese title and the English one. The game was released in Japanese but not in English.

(not that I insist New Mystery will obligatory be the next game remade, mind you, just discussing possibilities and dreams)

What I mean is that whenever we go with naming importance, Japanese usually confirms or throws doubts at speculation with that kind of thing.

I mean while I love Akaneia speculation in that direction seems a little unfounded.

Edited by shadowofchaos

5 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

Where is the line when someone says "I don't like it" and "IS you screwed up by not catering to my tastes"?

She *just* doesn't say it's boring.

She has said in EVERY banner thread has been bad that she doesn't have a character she likes is in.

There is no in between.

Quotes upon request.

And like I said, that is just her opinion. 

2 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

What I mean is that whenever we go with naming importance, Japanese usually confirms or throws doubts at speculation with that kind of thing.

I mean while I love Akaneia speculation in that direction seems a little unfounded.

What I mean is they didn’t say “echoes” for nothing right after a game was released with “echoes” in its name. Or they did. No one is to know for sure except them.

7 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

I never said this either. Your habit of twisting everything like this is really annoying, you know.

If you're talking about when I said "imo about Magvel, that was so my comment that it's better didn't look like I was passing it off as fact.

Edited by Anacybele

3 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

And like I said, that is just her opinion. 

Then you shouldn't have a problem with my earlier statement.

Since my entire issue with her rests with her inexperience with gacha games and vocal repetition of how IS is somehow screwing up design by not catering to things she likes more (implying entitlement).

Hey @Anacybele @shadowofchaos can we not start this up again?

Could Ana have expressed her opinions more positively? Sure. But I do think that the way she voiced it is much milder than it was back in the Blazing Shadows banner. It may not be at the pace you'd like it to be, but she's showing improvement. I think she deserves to be cut some slack. 

Mostly though, I just don't want another new banner thread to turn into the two of you arguing again. 

Hmm, looking at other characters with the one-level "movement attack" skills in their B slot, I think it's fairly safe to say that if Roderick is available at 4*, he'll have access to Drive Def 2 as a 4*. (Of course, not all characters follow the normal patterns, such as Xander having both of his top-level passives restricted to 5*.) Although Rally Def/Res might be 5* only? We don't have any reference point yet for how "upgraded assists" work at lower star rankings, since only b!Cordelia has had one so far, so it could be either 4* or 5* where they typically get unlocked. If he becomes available at 4* and can learn/pass all of Drive Def 2, Rally Def/Res, and the basic Firesweep Lance from 4*, that'd be pretty great, although that might be a bit much to hope for.

One way or another, we can probably expect to end up with (at minimum) two top-level passives and one mid-level weapon all newly available at 4* when this banner finishes, so that's all neat.

Another detail, unrelated to the future 4* drops: it's interesting that Roderick's weapon is called the "Firesweep Lance". After the Windsweep and Watersweep skills and the Firesweep Bow, it seemed like "Earthsweep" would be the name of a melee weapon with the Firesweep Bow effect, but instead it's called Firesweep as well. So could one or more Earthsweep skills be coming in some different form? Perhaps as a tome or something. We now have both a sword and a lance that don't have counterparts among the other melee weapon types, but (looking specifically at inheritable weapons) no such tomes, so that'd be a cool thing for them to add eventually along with adding a unique inheritable axe.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

More Archanea instead of Magvel who is better imo, and has far fewer characters? Booooring. Way to shaft a good game, IS.

I agree 1,000%

Mostly because I have to go bungee jumping again heh heh

26 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

Then you shouldn't have a problem with my earlier statement.

Since my entire issue with her rests with her inexperience with gacha games and vocal repetition of how IS is somehow screwing up design by not catering to things she likes more (implying entitlement).

There is a difference between stating something and just being a dick.

2 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

I will admit I am coming off as hostile.

But no, not really.

Stating something without regard to others is pretty much that definition. What I did and what she did is pretty much the same.

4 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

Calling out something that happens over and over isn't being a dick. It's not like he's hovering over Ana's posts waiting for her to make a slip that he can attack.

Neither side is doing themselves any favors, but SoC isn't being hostile in the slightest.

That said, can we not derail this thread any further?

Katarina and Luke are pretty great, but I have Tharja already so I don't think I'll be pulling from this one.

Wait until people call him Draug on a horse

5 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Katarina and Luke are pretty great, but I have Tharja already so I don't think I'll be pulling from this one.

I'd argue that, depending on stat spreads, they fill different roles, so it's difficult to directly compare the two. Unless you're suggesting that if you have Tharja there's no need to ever pull another red mage?

I can't believe we already have an alternate Draug. What's next? Mage Lucius?

....no but really I would love a Mage Lucius.

Edited by MaskedAmpharos

What is the inherent value of the Firesweep lance?

I mean it lets you double and circumvent quick riposte close/distant counter. But is that worth the complete enemy phase shutdown?

Edited by shadowofchaos

Just now, shadowofchaos said:

I mean it lets you double and circumvent quick riposte close/distant counter. But is that worth the complete enemy phase shutdown?

It's a bit like Firesweep Bow. It's good for inflicting free chip damage if none of your units can ORKO outright, and it's also good for bypassing Vantage. Other than that, it's generally better to go with a better weapon. 

After all, a unit with Brave Lance also shuts down enemy counterattack (by killing before the enemy can counter).

The design of the Firesweep weapons are amazing though, I'll give them that.

Just now, MaskedAmpharos said:

I'd argue that, depending on stat spreads, they fill different roles, so it's difficult to directly compare the two. Unless you're suggesting that if you have Tharja there's no need to ever pull another red mage?

I can't believe we already have an alternate Draug. What's next? Mage Lucius?

The latter. I even have Celica too, albeit -Spd, though I do like Katarina a bit. I'll wait until stats are out at least.

Swordmaster Lucius let's go

Just now, shadowofchaos said:

Dead enemies can't hurt you. Being able to ignore Vantage is a nice touch of utility, especially since they have comparable Mt to Silver Weapons.

That said, I do think Firesweep Bow makes better use of that niche.

8 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

I will pull all the reds, all of them!

they don’t already?